PDA

View Full Version : Denmark V Republic of Ireland - Sat, 11 November 2017 World Cup 2018 Play Off 1st Leg

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

tetsujin1979
17/10/2017, 1:37 PM
Spinning the discussion from the play off thread into a match thread

nigel-harps1954
17/10/2017, 1:38 PM
Tuesday 14th in Dublin. Saturday 11th in Copenhagen.

Republic of Ireland set to take on DenmarkThe Republic of Ireland will enter into a two-legged Play-Off with Denmark in a bid to secure a place at the 2018 FIFA World Cup finals in Russia next summer.
https://mailer.fai.ie/images/2018WCDraw.jpg
Martin O'Neill's team will be away in the first leg, which will be played on Saturday, November 11, and home for the second leg, which will be played on Tuesday, November 14 in Aviva Stadium.
After finishing as runners-up in Group D, Ireland were unseeded going into the Draw in Zurich. They could have been paired with either Croatia, Denmark, Italy or Switzerland.
Ireland have come up against Denmark 13 times overall - winning five, drawing five, losing three - with their last meeting coming in a 4-0 friendly win in 2007.
O'Neill, who successfully guided Ireland to EURO 2016 after overcoming Bosnia & Herzegovina in a two-legged play-off, is excited to begin preparations for the two games.
"We're delighted to have been drawn away from home first, so we will try to get some sort of advantage or certainly negate Denmark's advantages before we get to Dublin," said O'Neill.
"We have two games in quick succession and the turnover will be very quick, so let's go for it."
Public sale of tickets for the home leg will begin at 11:00am on Friday, October 20, with prices starting at €30 for adults and €20 for kids - excluding booking fees.
The home leg is included in the 2017/18 FAI Season Ticket package. However, if Season Ticket holders would like to purchase extra tickets then they can avail of an exclusive pre-sale period - which is also open to Club Ireland members and Jack Charlton Lounge patrons - that starts at 11:00am on Wednesday, October 18.
Applications for the away leg can be submitted via the Away Ticketing System on Thursday, October 19 - http://away.fai.ie (http://away.fai.ie/)

nigel-harps1954
17/10/2017, 1:43 PM
Flights to Copenhagen just shot up by €200 in the past fifteen minutes..

Park_Lane
17/10/2017, 1:50 PM
Anyone know anything about the Danish forwards? dont really know any of the squad apart from Bentner who is Pony and Erickson who is a great little player. They have a lad at RD Leipzip who seems to be doing well?? Apart from that pretty similar to us, Championship players plus a few from the lower teams in Germany/Spain

DeLorean
17/10/2017, 2:06 PM
Anyone know anything about the Danish forwards? dont really know any of the squad apart from Bentner who is Pony and Erickson who is a great little player. They have a lad at RD Leipzip who seems to be doing well?? Apart from that pretty similar to us, Championship players plus a few from the lower teams in Germany/Spain

Little piece about Denmark here that mentions their striking options - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/direct-denmark-in-a-good-place-ahead-of-irish-playoff-1.3259311

Hareide has used three strikers in these recent games with two big men, Andreas Cornelius of Atalanta and Feyenoord’s Nicolai Jorgense becoming key players for the coach along with the much smaller Pione Sisto. Others have played their part with Thomas Delaney getting three goals in Armenia but Christian Eriksen is by far the most important of all with the Tottenham midfielder picking up many of the loose balls from the play in front of him and scoring a lot of important goals.

nigel-harps1954
17/10/2017, 2:08 PM

Kasper Schmeichel, arguably one of the top goalkeepers in the Premier League.

Simon Kjaer is a top centre half. He's certainly better than anything we have, but he's not exactly getting many games at Sevilla at the minute.

Their midfield is where they're most dangerous. A midfield four of Kvist, Delaney, Schone and Eriksen is absolutely miles better than our midfield.

They have a squad backed up by Championship players, but the majority of their squad are at relatively big European teams. There's a heap of league titles within their squad at different countries.

DeLorean
17/10/2017, 2:10 PM
Current squad - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark_national_football_team#Current_squad

backstothewall
17/10/2017, 2:14 PM
They look very similar to us on paper. This really is a good chance of getting to Russia

tetsujin1979
17/10/2017, 2:29 PM
well, would you look at what Saturday, 11th November 2017 is the 30th anniversary of
cA5vwZxVzqw

Straightstory
17/10/2017, 2:29 PM
O'Neill and Keane will feel they can grind out two 0-0 all draws to get it to penalties. We definitely have a chance.

CraftyToePoke
17/10/2017, 2:57 PM
O'Neill and Keane will feel they can grind out two 0-0 all draws to get it to penalties. We definitely have a chance.

Who would our five kickers be ?

geysir
17/10/2017, 3:17 PM
Our honed ability to murder football should be a leveler.

backstothewall
17/10/2017, 3:21 PM

Randolph could be on there. He strikes the ball very well

BonnieShels
17/10/2017, 3:24 PM
Penalties? Get lost.

Olé Olé
17/10/2017, 3:36 PM
Kasper Schmeichel, arguably one of the top goalkeepers in the Premier League.

Simon Kjaer is a top centre half. He's certainly better than anything we have, but he's not exactly getting many games at Sevilla at the minute.

Their midfield is where they're most dangerous. A midfield four of Kvist, Delaney, Schone and Eriksen is absolutely miles better than our midfield.

They have a squad backed up by Championship players, but the majority of their squad are at relatively big European teams. There's a heap of league titles within their squad at different countries.

Are you over-rating them there? How do "relatively big European teams" compare to the PL sides that many of our players are with? I'm not saying I know that much about them but the PL is a very, very strong league.

In their last game against Romania, their side featured the following clubs: Leicester, Brentford, Chelsea, Sevilla, Betis, Werder Bremen, Copenhagen, Celta Vigo, Spurs, RB Leipzig, Rosenborg. It's hardly a who's who of European heavyweights on an overall scale, is it (Copenhagen and Roseborg's domestic dominane being my point there)? Obviously, Eriksen and Schmeichel are fine players. Delaney has a good reputation and Poulsen played fairly frequently at high-flying Leipzig last season. But Christiansen and Kjaer will be rusty and their other 2 full-backs aren't exactly household names at household clubs.

Look, I'm not trying to completely disparage Denmark but I'd hate for us to fall into a trap of thinking they're worldbeaters. Whilst they beat Poland 4-0 at home, Romania drew twice with them during qualification and actually would have nicked it on away goals, were it taking the same format as our play-offs. (0-0, 1-1).

DeLorean
17/10/2017, 3:43 PM

Depending on who's on the pitch at the end, of course, but we have a decent enough selection of players who we'll have seen taking and scoring penalties at some stage or other.

McGeady
Brady
McClean
Hoolahan
Hourihane
Meyler
Walters
Murphy
Maguire
Long

I've something in my head about Glenn Whelan maybe taking a couple also, and Arter ballooned one against Southampton last season. Not sure about Scott Hogan but you'd think he'd be okay maybe.

nigel-harps1954
17/10/2017, 4:08 PM
Are you over-rating them there? How do "relatively big European teams" compare to the PL sides that many of our players are with? I'm not saying I know that much about them but the PL is a very, very strong league.

In their last game against Romania, their side featured the following clubs: Leicester, Brentford, Chelsea, Sevilla, Betis, Werder Bremen, Copenhagen, Celta Vigo, Spurs, RB Leipzig, Rosenborg. It's hardly a who's who of European heavyweights on an overall scale, is it (Copenhagen and Roseborg's domestic dominane being my point there)? Obviously, Eriksen and Schmeichel are fine players. Delaney has a good reputation and Poulsen played fairly frequently at high-flying Leipzig last season. But Christiansen and Kjaer will be rusty and their other 2 full-backs aren't exactly household names at household clubs.

Look, I'm not trying to completely disparage Denmark but I'd hate for us to fall into a trap of thinking they're worldbeaters. Whilst they beat Poland 4-0 at home, Romania drew twice with them during qualification and actually would have nicked it on away goals, were it taking the same format as our play-offs. (0-0, 1-1).

Well, in the last two years alone, Leicester, Chelsea, Sevilla, Copenhagen, Spurs and RB Leipzig have been in Champions League Group stage action. That's the pinnacle of European football.

In the same period of time, Rosenborg, Copenhagen (again) and Celta Vigo were in Europa League group stage action.

That leaves only Brentford, Real Betis and Werder Bremen out of group stage action in Europe.

How many of our team against Wales played Champions League group stage at any point in their careers for a start, never mind their current clubs? More players played for Dundalk in European group stage than they have for their current sides.

I'd class big European sides as those who perform in the highest level of European football.

geysir
17/10/2017, 4:23 PM

Delaney is a serial diver.

tricky_colour
17/10/2017, 4:40 PM
Randolph could be on there. He strikes the ball very well

Yes but he is aiming at a bigger target, ie the whole pitch, granted he rarely misses, but taking penalties is a different matter.

tricky_colour
17/10/2017, 4:49 PM
Little piece about Denmark here that mentions their striking options - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/direct-denmark-in-a-good-place-ahead-of-irish-playoff-1.3259311

Hareide has used three strikers in these recent games with two big men, Andreas Cornelius of Atalanta and Feyenoord’s Nicolai Jorgense becoming key players for the coach along with the much smaller Pione Sisto. Others have played their part with Thomas Delaney getting three goals in Armenia but Christian Eriksen is by far the most important of all with the Tottenham midfielder picking up many of the loose balls from the play in front of him and scoring a lot of important goals.

He was never eligible for Ireland apparently.

nigel-harps1954
17/10/2017, 4:54 PM
He was never eligible for Ireland apparently.

Great grandfather was Irish. Grandfather was born in America.

Closed Account 2
17/10/2017, 5:10 PM
That leaves only Brentford, Real Betis and Werder Bremen out of group stage action in Europe.

Betís were in the knockouts of the Europa League 2-3 years ago, I think they lost on penalties to Sevilla in the knockouts?

seanfhear
17/10/2017, 5:23 PM
Flights to Copenhagen just shot up by €200 in the past fifteen minutes..What.....If you have your own Pilot ?

KrisLetang
17/10/2017, 5:33 PM
They've Qualified for the WC 4 times, getting to the Quarters in '98. I knew we were going to get Denmark, I've already studied the roster. Croatia would have been a disaster. Have anyone figured out the yellow card rules yet? It could end up being important.

Closed Account 2
17/10/2017, 5:46 PM
Flights to Copenhagen just shot up by €200 in the past fifteen minutes..

Hamburg is an option for those flying, about 5 hours drive or train away (including a ferry). Another option is Oslo, you can get a night ferry from there to Copenhagen. If you don't mind changing planes you could also try Billund, Aarhus and Aalborg as they are all in Denmark.

nigel-harps1954
17/10/2017, 5:55 PM
What.....If you have your own Pilot ?

As soon as the draw was done, I guessed the game would be on either Friday or Saturday, so I done a check for flights on both days. They were both in around the €90-€120 mark return from a couple of different companies, Dublin - Copenhagen direct.

About five minutes after the date was confirmed, I checked again and the lowest I could see was €320, and that included one stop along the way.

DannyInvincible
17/10/2017, 6:29 PM
I love Clinton's enthusiasm in the video here: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12020/11085102/republic-of-irelands-world-cup-play-off-draw-against-denmark-is-unbelievable-says-clinton-morrison

What's the injury situation like? Specifically will Duffy, McCarthy, Walters, and Long be available? Am I missing anyone?

Duffy played down the seriousness of his injury. Not sure how the scan went yesterday morning, but I assume we'd have heard about it if the news was bad.

I believe McCarthy should be back available for Everton either this weekend or next.

Walters was ruled out of the play-offs, according to reports (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41588088) from the 11th of October, although, the following day, the Irish Mirror were reporting (http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/burnley-boss-sean-dyche-offers-11332555) that Dyche was giving him a chance of being fit by then.

Shane Long played for Southampton on Sunday, so I assume he's OK.

Meanwhile, Seáni Maguire's hamstring is a concern, Westwood is close to a return (http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-keiren-westwood-closing-in-on-return-1-8807563) to action for his club and McGoldrick was passed fit to play for Ipswich last weekend.

Coleman could be close to full fitness again (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/seamus-coleman-working-towards-everton-comebackbut-will-he-be-back-for-ireland-in-2017-36100447.html) by the time the play-offs come round although I'd imagine he'll have to be eased back into action first. A return would be extremely unlikely. I don't think it's a consideration at all.

As soon as the draw was done, I guessed the game would be on either Friday or Saturday, so I done a check for flights on both days. They were both in around the €90-€120 mark return from a couple of different companies, Dublin - Copenhagen direct.

About five minutes after the date was confirmed, I checked again and the lowest I could see was €320, and that included one stop along the way.

I managed to get flights over and back from Dublin to Copenhagen via Edinburgh for £90. Seemed to be the best we could find as direct flights were a total rip-off within seconds.

geysir
17/10/2017, 7:19 PM
Available SAS direct return flight us$185 dep sat morn return sunday

indirect SAS via Oslo also available for similar price.

Isn't Malmo is the closest airport to Kastrup?

livehead1
17/10/2017, 7:22 PM
I've managed to get flights from London for around £110 going out on Friday coming back on the Sunday. How hard will tickets be I wonder?

BonnieShels
17/10/2017, 7:26 PM
Available SAS direct return flight us$185 dep sat morn return sunday

indirect SAS via Oslo also available for similar price.

Isn't Malmo is the closest airport to Kastrup?

Nope. CPH city centre is still closer. Only took me about 20min on the train to CPH central (with a unplanned 4-5min stop going into Central).

Malmo will take about 90min all going well to CPH central.

I'm raging I can't get to this game. Absolutely floored by the city when I was there in September.

---

geysir
17/10/2017, 8:28 PM
Nope. CPH city centre is still closer. Only took me about 20min on the train to CPH central (with a unplanned 4-5min stop going into Central).

Malmo will take about 90min all going well to CPH central.

I'm raging I can't get to this game. Absolutely floored by the city when I was there in September.

---
I'll just repeat the same question and maybe I'll get a different answer:)

Isn't Malmo the closest airport to Kastrup?
Meaning, distance wise from central CPH, isn't Malmo the next closest airport after Kastrup?

Afair, Malmo airport is about an hour from CPH by direct bus.

DannyInvincible
18/10/2017, 12:00 AM
Our record against Denmark here (https://www.11v11.com/teams/republic-of-ireland/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Denmark/):

http://i68.tinypic.com/hsubrt.png

DannyInvincible
18/10/2017, 12:02 AM
The views and reactions of some Danish commentators and supporters to having drawn us, compiled here by Balls.ie (https://www.balls.ie/football/fearful-danish-reaction-drawing-mighty-ireland-375867) and here by SportsJoe.ie (https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/denmark-fans-are-far-too-happy-about-getting-ireland-in-the-world-cup-playoffs-139682).

BonnieShels
18/10/2017, 12:54 AM
I'll just repeat the same question and maybe I'll get a different answer:)

Isn't Malmo the closest airport to Kastrup?
Meaning, distance wise from central CPH, isn't Malmo the next closest airport after Kastrup?

Afair, Malmo airport is about an hour from CPH by direct bus.

For a moment after I posted that I wondered if you would respond like a smart ass. And woe be tide... you did.

The thing is perhaps if the "Question" was clearer people might be able to give you an answer that you require or the answer that matched up with the knowledge you have already.

Now, Copenhagen is a large enough area but for simplicity I measure to Central​ station which is a fairly decent convention I'd think for those going to CPH.

Given that CPH Airport is in Kastrup I doubt you meant that so yeah, Malmö airport would indeed be the nearest airport to Kastrup aka CPH Airport. And also the next nearest to CPH central.

The quick search I did also have me a 90min journey from Malmö to Copenhagen Central Station. But I'm not going so i didn't bother delving further.

In conclusion, use Google and post stuff when you get the answer you want. Cos Jesus it's tiresome when you go on like yourself.

---

TLDR; cop the fupp on

geysir
18/10/2017, 1:13 AM
For a moment after I posted that I wondered if you would respond like a smart ass. And woe be tide... you did.

The thing is perhaps if the "Question" was clearer people might be able to give you an answer that you require or the answer that matched up with the knowledge you have already.

Now, Copenhagen is a large enough area but for simplicity I measure to Central​ station which is a fairly decent convention I'd think for those going to CPH.

Given that CPH Airport is in Kastrup I doubt you meant that so yeah, Malmö airport would indeed be the nearest airport to Kastrup aka CPH Airport. And also the next nearest to CPH central.

The quick search I did also have me a 90min journey from Malmö to Copenhagen Central Station. But I'm not going so i didn't bother delving further.

In conclusion, use Google and post stuff when you get the answer you want. Cos Jesus it's tiresome when you go on like yourself.

---

TLDR; cop the fupp on
Okay Bonnie, you didn't understand the almost rhetorical question, normal enough given the nature of internet discussion and expression.
But you didn't understand my reply and assume a cynical interpretation, which was not in my post.
Flights to Malmo were available at reasonable prices.

BonnieShels
18/10/2017, 2:06 AM
But to ignore the cynical interpretation of your post would fly in the face of almost 9 years of experience.
I'm not starting now.

Charlie Darwin
18/10/2017, 2:19 AM
geysir "going on like himself" is probably the most perfect description imaginable :)

ifk101
18/10/2017, 8:20 AM
Flights to Malmo were available at reasonable prices.

Really? The airport in Malmö serves domestic flights, charter trips and selective Eastern European cities. Did you find reasonable flights via Skopje?

Closed Account 2
18/10/2017, 9:52 AM
Yeah I did have a look at Malmö but dismissed it as there are no direct flights to any cities to the west of it. If you caught a connecting flight you would have to overshoot far to the south east and then fly back north west. If there was say a flight from London or Amsterdam to Malmö then it might make more sense.

Aside from Copenhagen the best options are probably other Danish airports (Aarhus via Stansted, Aalborg via Stanstead/Gatwick/Hull/Amsterdam, Bilund via a lot of UK cities/Amsterdam/Brussels/Paris, Esbjerg via Aberdeen)

You could look at Gothenburg too (with a change in London/Birmingham/Paris/Amsterdam) but that connection plus a 5 hour train ride makes it tricky. Hamburg is a good option as there are direct flights to Ireland and its possible to get to Copenhagen via direct train from there. It's also a fantastic city to visit, arguably the second best in Germany after Berlin.

DeLorean
18/10/2017, 10:16 AM
Anyone try to get tickets for the home leg?

They were gone straight away!

What a swizz!

Presume that was some presale? 'Three' was it?

Hopefully there'll be more available through the public sale tomorrow.

BonnieShels
18/10/2017, 10:23 AM
Presume that was some presale? 'Three' was it?

Hopefully there'll be more available through the public sale tomorrow.

Season Ticket

Stuttgart88
18/10/2017, 3:28 PM
Okay Bonnie, you didn't understand the almost rhetorical question, normal enough given the nature of internet discussion and expression.
But you didn't understand my reply and assume a cynical interpretation, which was not in my post.
Flights to Malmo were available at reasonable prices.I've done malmo to Copenhagen. easy journey and you get to drive over that cool bridge.

backstothewall
18/10/2017, 3:45 PM
Yes but he is aiming at a bigger target, ie the whole pitch, granted he rarely misses, but taking penalties is a different matter.

Agreed Tricky. But I've seen more than 1 of our players miss the entire pitch with simple passes. If Randolph got his head over it and thumped it it would take some saving the way he hits them.

I was disappointed by the presale. Long gone by the time I got there.

Charlie Darwin
18/10/2017, 4:25 PM
I was disappointed by the presale. Long gone by the time I got there.
Don't worry, I'm sure you can go back and pick up McGoldrick or Maguire.

backstothewall
18/10/2017, 4:36 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure you can go back and pick up McGoldrick or Maguire.

Superb work CD

KrisLetang
18/10/2017, 5:13 PM
Anyone up for trying this pizza place in Copenhagen? It has great reviews the internet over and a few on yelp.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/pizzeria-mamem%C3%AD-k%C3%B8benhavn?sort_by=date_desc

Charlie Darwin
18/10/2017, 5:44 PM
I only eat pizza at Skinflint.

KrisLetang
18/10/2017, 5:47 PM
What is that?

BonnieShels
18/10/2017, 6:09 PM
What is that?

It's where Crackbird used to be. You'll never come home at this rate.

DannyInvincible
18/10/2017, 8:19 PM
Some injury updates on Coleman, Walters, Duffy and Maguire from O'Neill yesterday: http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/seamus-coleman-not-make-wonder-11359467

And while Burnley attempted to dilute suggestions that Walters will be sidelined until Christmas with his knee injury, he won’t face Denmark.

Quizzed first on Everton ace Coleman, O’Neill stressed: “I think it would be unlikely.” And then on Walters, he added: “It doesn’t look good.”

But in Zurich last night, O’Neill said of Duffy: “I spoke to Shane and he was concerned about it but the pain was lessening by the evening.

“I watched young Maguire in his game and he was excellent for half an hour, so I’m hoping that it’s going to be two weeks but we’ll see.