PDA

View Full Version : Prutton 10 game ban

Gary
02/03/2005, 7:04 PM
See here (http://www.football365.com/news/story_145152.shtml)

Now I have only heard of what happened, and by all accounts he went absolutely la la.

Is a 10 game ban justified, or is it a case of the FA making an example of a low ish profile player at a low profile club?

I would go for the latter. The FA are consistently inconsistent with their punishments. If Prutton were an England international, or even knocking on the door for a call up, this would not happen. May i cite Shearer trying to kick Neil Lennons head off a few years as an example here. Di Canio recieved a similar ban, but again, not an England international, so an example was made of him.

brine3
02/03/2005, 10:18 PM
I saw it and I have to say it's a bit harsh. A bit of pushing and shouting, five games would have been more than enough. You could compare it to Man Utd's reaction against Uriah Rennie some years back.

If they're consistent Beattie should get 20 games for his double headbutt on Gallas.

Éanna
02/03/2005, 10:20 PM
Its too harsh considering some of the other punishments that have been dished out in the past. IMO, a 10 game ban (at least) should be standard for players who attack referees or seek to intimidate them, that would put a stop to it.

anto1208
03/03/2005, 12:49 PM
he should have got more under no circumstances is it ok to attack a match official he made 2 takles that he could have gotten a red card for either , he failed to leave the feild promptly and he pushed the ref while trying to attack the lines man .
his ban was 3 games for the red 7 for not leaving the feild and attacking an official .

pineapple stu
03/03/2005, 12:52 PM
Cantona got six months (granted, attacking a fan, not a ref) and was by no means a low-profile player.

What did Di Canio get? Think it was around the same?

Prutton's already been booked eight times this season as well, which may have come into things.

Didn't see the incident - only heard of it - but the ban sounds fair enough to be honest.

anto1208
03/03/2005, 12:59 PM
and ferguson got jailed over a little head butt on a player

Gary
03/03/2005, 1:06 PM
Cantona got six months (granted, attacking a fan, not a ref) and was by no means a low-profile player.

Again, not an English international

What did Di Canio get? Think it was around the same?

10 games.

anto1208
03/03/2005, 1:11 PM
again not an english international that just shows they know the rules and dont attack refs not that they get of lighter .

Macy
03/03/2005, 1:15 PM
Cantona got 8 months actually

Ferdinand got 8 months when other's had got off for the same offence in the same season - thats about the only example I can think of of a current England international getting a longer than usual ban.

As for this case, fairly blatant pushes on the ref to get at the linesman, worse than shouting at the ref imo (not that shouting in the face of a ref is a good thing, but man handling is a step above even that).

Southampton should try getting their chairman high up in the FA - it certainly seems to help in disciplinary matters...

Karlos
03/03/2005, 2:23 PM
Southampton should try getting their chairman high up in the FA - it certainly seems to help in disciplinary matters...

Agreed, I for one certainly hope that Arsenal's Mr. Dein can get higher up in the FA, might mean the gunners will not have half their team suspended at crucial times of the season, or be deducted more points for a fight invoving two teams, or our manager fined for calling a player a cheat. Anyone know know how much Mourinho & Cech got fined for labelling Utd & Graham Poll cheats?

Perhaps getting your chairman or club involved with Sky is a better way forward, then they can just ignore all your off the ball icidents and highlight your rivals ones, must be the better option!! Video eveidence just disappears! It's rumoured they'll even do you up a dossier if you ask nicely! :rolleyes:

wws
03/03/2005, 2:28 PM
SAW the incident live as bill H would say - fully deserved

and I would have banned Cantona and the dope head ferdinand for two years MINIMUM

Macy
03/03/2005, 2:31 PM
and I would have banned Cantona and the dope head ferdinand for two years MINIMUM
Simmons deserved a kicking for his fashion sense - Cantona should've got an award.

Would have no problem with Ferdinand getting a 2 year ban, if every case was treated the same. Which it wasn't, and still isn't.

wws
03/03/2005, 2:46 PM
im only interested in the high profile cases macy

Macy
03/03/2005, 2:50 PM
im only interested in the high profile cases macy
:D So are the FA.

pineapple stu
03/03/2005, 3:38 PM
Again, not an English international
Ah yes. Might read the whole post in future! :o

caino
04/03/2005, 1:02 PM
That nutter Prutton should have got a larger ban than that. Players should get bans for less than that, Rooney along with other players should get a ban for the amount of abuse that comes out of his mouth directed at refs, its a bloody disgrace, what kinda of impression is he giving his young fans, there is obviously young kids out there that look up to Rooney and other players like him, and he is shouting and roaring abuse every chance he gets. that kind of action should not be accepted by refs and they should get bans for it.

Shelsman
08/03/2005, 1:01 PM
Saw an Italian player pushing a ref on Eurosport last night or the night before but nothing seemed to be done about it. Seems to happen a lot in the Italian league ( saw the same thing just a few weeks ago in another Serie A game ).

Eire06
08/03/2005, 1:58 PM
I think its a just punishment. he really flipped and players have to learn they can't treat ref and officials like that....
The fact that he physically assalted the official should not be accecptable..

Yes there is a problem with verbal abuse Rooney for example, I'm not condoning it and it should be punished, but its not as bad as pushing an official there is a big difference IMO...

Aberdonian Stu
08/03/2005, 2:21 PM
Frankly I'm sick of all the childish behaviour refs get so the last game I refereed I took a very direct line. I strictly applied the dissent law according to the interpretation I gave the players at the start "Say anything to me it's dissent". First lad that opened his trap got a yellow. No-one else tried anything for the rest of the game. If only they did that at the top level!!!

Incidentally that was a Superleague game in UCD.

Macy
08/03/2005, 2:45 PM
That nutter Prutton should have got a larger ban than that. Players should get bans for less than that, Rooney along with other players should get a ban for the amount of abuse that comes out of his mouth directed at refs, its a bloody disgrace, what kinda of impression is he giving his young fans, there is obviously young kids out there that look up to Rooney and other players like him, and he is shouting and roaring abuse every chance he gets. that kind of action should not be accepted by refs and they should get bans for it.
Won't someone think of the children :rolleyes:

To me the blame is as much with the refs as with the players. If they announced they wouldn't take any back chat and would be dishing out cards (as per the stu), and followed it through it would soon put a stop to it. The refs and FA's haven't the bottle.

Éanna
08/03/2005, 2:48 PM
Won't someone think of the children :rolleyes:

To me the blame is as much with the refs as with the players. If they announced they wouldn't take any back chat and would be dishing out cards (as per the stu), and followed it through it would soon put a stop to it. The refs and FA's haven't the bottle.
you've hit the nail on the head there Macy. A few red cards and the players would soon cop themselves on

Eire06
08/03/2005, 3:12 PM
Did anyone see what happened after the Man U Crystal Palace match on Sat..

Man U are in trouble for confrunting the ref after the match.. Hopefully this will be a start in the crack down onn players harassing the refs..

The English FA has announced that it is investigating events after the final whistle in Manchester United's 0-0 draw with Crystal Palace at the weekend.
United's player surrounded referee Mark Clattenburg at the end of the match in Selhurst Park on Saturday, apparently to express their anger at being denied a penalty in the closing stages.

The FA said video evidence and Clattenburg's report would be studied before a decision was made on whether any disciplinary action should be taken.