PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1

Pages : [1] 2

elroy
02/03/2005, 2:18 PM
F1 is back at the wkd and the best season in a long time is on the cards, for the first time in a few years, Ferrari are not the team to be beat.
From testing it looks like Renault and Mclaren are gonna be the frontrunners at the start anyway. Its a pity Jordan is effectively gone, F1 will not be the same without them but this season could be something special and perhaps the beginning of the end of the Schumacher era

Schumi
02/03/2005, 2:23 PM
perhaps the beginning of the end of the Schumacher era
Don't count your chickens. :p

It should be an interesting start, Ferrari's delay on their new car could be more important this year than last with the rule changes, the tyres especially. Having said that, i'd be surprised if they weren't at least challanging at the start. Renault and McLaren may well pull out a lead in the first few races but I'd be surprised if Ferrair's new car doesn't prove to be a significant step forward.

Hopefully it'll be more competitive than recent years and Fisichella especially will have a chance at a few wins.

the 12 th man
02/03/2005, 2:26 PM
mcclaren are favourites to win the constructors this year.so maybe we might get a much needed change this year

there are a lot of rule changes this year including the qualification and tyres(one set for the whole weekend i believe)

elroy
02/03/2005, 3:53 PM
I think Schumacher may still win it out, but Kimi will push him all the way. Not convinced about Montoya, hes not very consistent, glad mclaren have got rid of Coulthard-at least they have 2 competitive runners now.
I fancy Fisichella to have a good season too, if the Renault car is as good as everyone is making out then he should notch up a good few wins.

The most qualifying system is prob the most disappointing aspect, the sooner the revert to the 12 laps in an hour system the better

anto eile
02/03/2005, 4:15 PM
f1 isnt a sport! :D

Schumi
02/03/2005, 4:24 PM
The most qualifying system is prob the most disappointing aspect, the sooner the revert to the 12 laps in an hour system the better
Agreed, Mosely has a bee in his bonnet about qualifying with race fuel but it leads to $hit qualifying.

Superhoops
02/03/2005, 8:47 PM
The most qualifying system is prob the most disappointing aspect.....
To make F1 more interesting I would suggest:
- award points for qualification, one for the slowest, two for the second slowest etc... up to 22 (or however many cars there are) for the fastest.
- line cars up on the grid with the slowest at the front and the fastest on the back row
- race points would be awarded according to the order they finished... 22 for first, 21 for second.. down to 1 for last (assuming they all finish) - no finish no race points

This would give the possibility of maximum points of 44 per race. The best cars/drivers would have a points incentive for qualifying fastest, even though they would line up at back of grid.

Guaranteed loads of overtaking and real race driving rather than the blocking that goes on from the first bend these days making it the most boring sport on earth.

elroy
03/03/2005, 4:27 PM
F1 was at its best back around 97, it wasnt broke but the FIA decided to fix it.
Bring back the old style qualifying, that was great for tv, super to watch and you didnt know who had pole till the very last sec.
I honestly believe F1 will come alive again this year, its the closest the teams have being in a long time and thats what makes the sport exciting-competition.
Whether the new rules will have any effect im not sure, the changes to pit stops and engine rules will def have an impact, not too sure if for better or worse though-have to wait and see.

mypost
04/03/2005, 4:29 AM
When will he win it?

Maybe Italy, in Ferrari country in September. Schumi is so far ahead of everyone else, it doesn't matter if they have cars that are as good or better than his, he'll still bore everyone to tears, by coasting to another title. He is invincible, and his car is bulletproof, it hasn't broken down for 3.5 years.

Pre-season testing can be deceptive, different teams test on different days, on different circuits, in different weather conditions. I hope not, but I expect Schumacher to run rings around the opposition again this season, starting in Melbourne on Saturday night. Another walkover season for him and Ferrari is on the cards once again.

elroy
04/03/2005, 8:31 AM
Well first impressions from fri practice look very good, mclaren on top, williams close behind, Renault and Sauber looking strong too. First time in 4 years a ferrari hasnt topped friday practice in melbourne-its looking good!

niamh
04/03/2005, 1:03 PM
One of the best suggestions I heard that would make the sport interesting and ensure the best win (but which is never going to happen). Each driver drives two races for every team - making sure the best driver and the best team wins...regardless of budgets, the team you are with etc...

elroy
04/03/2005, 2:24 PM
Wouldnt work because some circuits suit some drivers and others dont so it still wouldnt be a level playing field

Superhoops
05/03/2005, 12:10 AM
Wouldnt work because some circuits suit some drivers and others dont so it still wouldnt be a level playing field
Explain why some circuits do/dont suit certain drivers? An example?

mypost
05/03/2005, 4:06 AM
Well first impressions from fri practice look very good, mclaren on top, williams close behind, Renault and Sauber looking strong too. First time in 4 years a ferrari hasnt topped friday practice in melbourne-its looking good!

Schumacher qualified 18th in the 1st session, the last of those who completed their laps, in changeable weather. He probably would have been quickest if he had gone out to do his lap, 5 minutes earlier. At the beginning of the session, it was wet, then dried out for a while, before tipping down again for the last 20 minutes. However, some things never change. Italians finished 1st and 2nd.

Because of the weather in the 1st session, tonight's 2nd session may not see many changes in the qualifying positions. So Schumacher may have to start at the back of the field. You never know, we may be able to watch a decent race, for a change. :)

niamh
05/03/2005, 9:38 AM
Regardless of the weather-hit qualifying, I think 2005 will be a lot better than last season...but then that would not be hard!

mypost
06/03/2005, 6:40 AM
The Italian anthem was played again on the podium, but not for Ferrari this time, as Fisichella won the race comfortably from Barrichello. Schumacher was one of only 3 cars to retire, after crashing into Heidfeld. The start of things to come? Maybe, maybe not. A race weekend of dry conditions soon, will give us a better indication of how things will go this year.

Poor Student
06/03/2005, 8:35 AM
As far as I remember reading Ferrari will not unleash their new car until about 5 races in. They actually said teams will have a chance to get a head start on them. So they may look better in about a month or two.

pete
06/03/2005, 9:09 PM
Boring race.

Very weird seeing car come into the pitstip surrounded by 15+ mechanics & only 2 needed to add the fuel.

:eek:

elroy
07/03/2005, 9:03 AM
Good result, Ferrari do not have the strongest car of that there is no doubt, was surprised at how little impact Schumacher made from the back. But have to agree, a fairly boring race, not too sure the new regs of no change of tyres is gonna do a whole lot for the entertainment.
Although ironically i think the fact the grid was all over the place because of the weather meant there wasnt a great fight for the win, hopefully in future races, there should be good battles between ferrari, renault and mclaren.

Overall a refreshing change but still a bit lack entertainment wise.

elroy
07/03/2005, 9:04 AM

Example last year Trulli won Monaco because power is not such a factor there and their car had great traction and launch control.
Other races where speed is needed-barcelona, ferrari were streets ahead of anyone

Macy
07/03/2005, 10:13 AM
Didn't watch it live or the repeat yesterday afternoon. Nothing to do with the season last year, I'm just getting fooked off by the constant messing with the rules, be that race or qualifying. Best driver/car/team should win Formula One, as it always has been - all this messing just reduces the appeal to me.

btw When ferrari get sorted and start winning again, what are they going to change next?

elroy
07/03/2005, 10:37 AM
Ya agree with you totally, they had a perfect formula(excuse the pun) back in 95/96/97 but changed it. Changes things again recently the main reason is to improve safety and reduce speeds. Also cost is a major factor as well especially with tobacco sponsorship gone.
i genuinely think this could be a special year although im not convinced of the format especially qualifying, will be a few races in before will be able to determine if the changes are for the better or not

Schumi
07/03/2005, 12:26 PM
The race was crap, waste of time getting up for it. :mad: The mixed up grid handed it to Fischella as no one who could have challanged him was anywhere near the front.

Schumacher was very quiet, I would have thought that he could at least have got past Sato but I reckon a lot of that difficulty was down to the new tyre regs. I don't think there was more than one or two passes in the whole race other than on Jordans and Minardis. With less grip from tyres, the aerodynamic effect of being behind a car means that a car has even less grip when trying to pass than before.

Coulthard has always done well in Australia, won it twice I think and usually more competitive there than elsewhere. As for why, my guess is the low grip levels due to it not being a permanent race track.

elroy
07/03/2005, 1:03 PM
Schumi, agree with ya the race was a bit of disappointment especially at 5 in the morn although the result was refreshing. Do you think the race wouldve being better if it had being a normal qualifying with the fast cars up with fisi. Was surprised at how little impact schumacher made, if he ends up gettin beat alot this year hes not gonna like it, could see that with his move on heidfeld.
I wouldnt judge just yet, but i think it will be a much more competitive year but not too sure will we get much more overtaking. The impact of pitstops is much less now, somethin schumacher was a master at, putting in some hot laps before and after-little scope for that now.

Schumi
07/03/2005, 1:34 PM
Schumi, agree with ya the race was a bit of disappointment especially at 5 in the morn although the result was refreshing.Definitely, delighted for Fisi; especially after his first win was spoiled for him.

Do you think the race wouldve being better if it had being a normal qualifying with the fast cars up with fisi.It would have been closer but I still don't think there would've been any passing, just look at how long it took Alonso (?) to pass Villeneuve and how quickly he pulled away after. There might have been some excitement around the pit stops though.

impact of pitstops is much less now, somethin schumacher was a master at, putting in some hot laps before and after-little scope for that now.Not sure if that's definitely going to be the case. They still have to stop for fuel (probably twice going by the first race) so there's still plenty of scope for gaining time when the guy in front of you stops.

pete
07/03/2005, 1:48 PM
F1 should stop tingering with the rules. They keep changing to ensure they slow cars but all it means is that cars can't grip the track or slipstream so much harder to overtake.

They'd be better off inventing a climate control device, could roll the dice & change weather at will ;) :D

harpskid
07/03/2005, 7:22 PM
Didn't watch it live or the repeat yesterday afternoon. Nothing to do with the season last year, I'm just getting fooked off by the constant messing with the rules, be that race or qualifying. Best driver/car/team should win Formula One, as it always has been - all this messing just reduces the appeal to me.

btw When ferrari get sorted and start winning again, what are they going to change next?

Likewise. It's crap that they've changed the rules like they have :mad: Now it appears that the best team/driver may not win the championship which in my opinion is crap!

mypost
18/03/2005, 4:59 AM
Expect normal service to be resumed in the race in KL this weekend. In Australia, the weather conditions in qualifying allowed someone else to win. However, in Malaysia, the weather is expected to stay dry through the whole weekend, so Schumacher should have no problem strolling to yet another boring victory.

zzzzzzzzz............. :(

ciaran76
18/03/2005, 9:02 AM
Expect normal service to be resumed in the race in KL this weekend. In Australia, the weather conditions in qualifying allowed someone else to win. However, in Malaysia, the weather is expected to stay dry through the whole weekend, so Schumacher should have no problem strolling to yet another boring victory.

I would love for one race a year or maybe every race that everyone had the same car,fuel tyres etc etc. Just to see what the outcome would be.
I know it will never happen :(

Yes and i think you are right normal service will resume this weekend.

mypost
24/03/2005, 3:35 AM

Well, as it turned out, Ferrari had a disastrous race, not that many people will have had much sympathy. Alonso won to complete back-to-back Renault victories. Will Renault walk Bahrain too? F1 may become interesting again if we continue to see different winners.

elroy
24/03/2005, 8:35 AM
Well, as it turned out, Ferrari had a disastrous race, not that many people will have had much sympathy. Alonso won to complete back-to-back Renault victories. Will Renault walk Bahrain too? F1 may become interesting again if we continue to see different winners.

Look at my very first post in this topic, schumi is not gonna be the force he was the last few years. Renault and McLaren(give them another race or 2) have the best cars, how good the new ferrari is going to be is hard to say but they will def close the gap but i dont think they expected to be this far behind.
Still dont like the qualifying system, malaysia was a better race than Aust so hopefully this season will be a cracker, its def shaping it to be.

Schumi
24/03/2005, 10:29 AM
Does anyone think that the new tyre rules are discouraging overtaking by making drivers too cautious of their tyres because they have to last for the whole race?

elroy
24/03/2005, 1:08 PM
Does anyone think that the new tyre rules are discouraging overtaking by making drivers too cautious of their tyres because they have to last for the whole race?

Def seemed to be the case in Aus, but didnt think as much in KL, the more races the less this will be a factor as they become more accustomed to it. I think it adds a much needed driver skill element.
really wish they'd change the qualifying format, its just no good for tv, bring back the 12 lap one hour session and every driver has to go out at least every 15 mins or they lose the lap.
Overall i think this season is shapin up very nicely, although the tactical element has being reduced alot with one set of tyres per race rule-i think ferrari are def feeling this the most.

niamh
28/03/2005, 4:10 PM

Different winners maybe, but still the same manner of victory for the leader, which is what the problem was last year. I don't think many people who have any objection to Michael Schumacher winning every race if he were made fight every inch for it and over take cars with some skill, rather than pit stops.
It is not the drivers that are making the sport boring, the variety of tyre choices, fuel loads, engine specs and aerodynamic advantages among other things mean that there is always at least one car that is well ahead of the others. But if every driver had the exact same car, with the exact same fuel on board at least their skill would come to the fore.
I love the racing, not seeing engines compete for the highest speed on the straight.

$Leon$
29/03/2005, 1:15 PM
But if every driver had the exact same car, with the exact same fuel on board at least their skill would come to the fore.
I love the racing, not seeing engines compete for the highest speed on the straight.

niamh the sport of f1 is not just about the one man behind the wheel, its a team game. f1 teams are made up of anywhere between 50 and 250 members (depending on budget) who all play a part in the final outcome of the race.
ur suggestion to have all the cars the same would b akin to having only one player per football team. it's a team game so why limit the team to one player?

the reason ferrari have been so sucessful in recent years is that they have done similar to chelsea and paid for the best. the combination of schumacher, brawn and byrne is comparable to an all time world soccer XI.

people seem to have short memories on the ferrari dominance of f1 in recent years. yes ferrari have won the last 6 constructors titles but before that it had been 15 seasons since there last title.

people also seem to forget the williams dominance of f1 during the 1990's winnin 5 out of the 6 championships between 92 and 97. or mclaren winning 6 ot of 8 between 84 and 91.

when schumacher took the huge gamble to leave bennetton in 95 and move to ferrari most people laughed at him. ferrari had won 2 races in the previous 5 years. with the help and support of todt, byrne, brawn, and di montezemelo they have built the team to what it is today. f1 is a team effort and all drivers with the same cars would defeat the purpose of the sport.

mypost
01/04/2005, 5:02 AM
people also seem to forget the williams dominance of f1 during the 1990's winnin 5 out of the 6 championships between 92 and 97. or mclaren winning 6 ot of 8 between 84 and 91.

when schumacher took the huge gamble to leave bennetton in 95 and move to ferrari most people laughed at him. ferrari had won 2 races in the previous 5 years. with the help and support of todt, byrne, brawn, and di montezemelo they have built the team to what it is today. f1 is a team effort and all drivers with the same cars would defeat the purpose of the sport.

True, but with a big difference. The difference when Williams and McLaren won, was that different drivers won in different years. Prost, and Senna had some great battles to win the world title, and 4 drivers won the World Championship with Williams in the 90's. However, with Ferrari, only one driver is allowed to win, and people don't want to watch that. It's great for his fans only, but for neutrals like myself, it's extremely boring to watch, knowing that the same man will win all the time, regardless of whatever obstacles are put in front of him. The rules were drastically changed in 2003, but the same man won. During his successes, teams have folded, strategies have been altered, funding has been cut, testing days have been cut, rules have been changed, but he still wins, so neutrals switch the tv off.

Williams won the title in 1996. They won 12 of the 16 races, won the constructors title in Hungary, but you knew that their drivers would battle it out every lap to the flag, and the drivers' title went to the last race. Nowadays, only one driver can win, because he is so far ahead of everyone else, that nobody is interested anymore. Despite their blip this season, I think it's inevitable that MS will soon cruise towards the title once again. :(

patsh
01/04/2005, 7:26 AM
The rules were drastically changed in 2003, but the same man won. During his successes, teams have folded, strategies have been altered, funding has been cut, testing days have been cut, rules have been changed, but he still wins, so neutrals switch the tv off.

But surely this is a testament to just how good Schuey is?
Theres no point in whinging about him, the entire sport ahs been changed to try to stop him winning, yet he still comes out on top. Nuetrals are not switching off because Schuey is so good, they are switching off because nobody else has been able to mount a serious challenge to him. This year will be different though, because for the first time in his career, Fisicella has a really competitive car and, along with Alonso, will push for the title.
Raikkonen and just maybe Webber, are the only other decent drivers out there. Montoya is a w*nker of the highest order, Button is a whinger and the rest are dross.

Schumi
01/04/2005, 12:32 PM
I'd agree broadly but I think Trulli is underrated. He has a reputation as a good qualifier and bad racer but he was excellent in Malaysia.

elroy
04/04/2005, 2:56 PM
Another good race without being hugely spectacular, nice to see schumacher back towards the front end. When ferrari get the new car together (the 3 week break will suit them) we will have one hell of a championship. Disappointed to see fisi drop out, i have a feeling he may not cope too well with pressure of being alonsos team mate, especially now Alonso has got off to a great start.

Schumi
04/04/2005, 3:18 PM
Best race in a while. De La Rosa and Webber at the end was great but it's a pity that there has to be such a big pace difference between cars to have any chance of a pass.

elroy
04/04/2005, 3:50 PM
yes thought dela Rosa was fantastic, the pace of the mclaren was very impressive. To be honest, Im really starting to doubt Montoyas credentials, he came with so much promise and hype but he just hasnt delivered, this year is a big year for him.

As for the race, once again thought it was very good, the new regulations certainly make the latter stages of the race very interesting with drivers strugglin with all sorts of problems. I wouldnt necessary agree there has to be such a big diff in pace to pass, there prob has being more overtaking this year than in previous years. Plus bridgestone really need to get their act together if schumacher is gonna put in a challenge.

Schumi
04/04/2005, 3:54 PM
To be honest, Im really starting to doubt Montoyas credentials, he came with so much promise and hype but he just hasnt delivered, this year is a big year for him.Yeah, he didn't do much yesterday. ;)

I wouldnt necessary agree there has to be such a big diff in pace to pass, there prob has being more overtaking this year than in previous years.
But look at how much faster De La Rosa was when he got past Webber and the same with people getting by Barrichello.

elroy
04/04/2005, 4:33 PM
yes but its kinda logic that hes gonna be slower behind a slower car(Im not being cheeky here). Martin Brundle has always maintained that changing the circuits to longer straights and wider more heavier brakin zones is the key to more overtakin and not so much changing the cars.

By the way, what do you watch GPs on now? Im with itv cos only have setanta when Im up here in dublin, I wonder do they have so many annoying ads during the coverage

Schumi
04/04/2005, 4:41 PM
yes but its kinda logic that hes gonna be slower behind a slower car(Im not being cheeky here).That's my point though, he was capable of going so much faster than Webber and still had to put in a hell of an effort to pass him. With two cars at anything like the same pace, there doesn't seem to be any real chance of a pass.

By the way, what do you watch GPs on now? Im with itv cos only have setanta when Im up here in dublin, I wonder do they have so many annoying ads during the coverage
I watch it on Setanta because I can't stand James Allen. :D They have more ads than RTE did but still less than UTV I think (but probably not by much).

elroy
05/04/2005, 1:43 PM
Thats bad form in fairness, a subscription channel and they still show ads during the race! rte were very good regarding breaks, itv are atrocious. Im not too keen on james Allen either, hasnt being the same since Murray left, although I do like Martin Brundles insight.

I think the reason it took de la Rosa to pass Webber so long was due to the driving of Webber, he was making his car as big as possible and driving very aggressively. Dela rosa got by Barrichello and Button a bit easier

mypost
22/04/2005, 4:11 AM
Alonso won the last race in the Bahrain desert, having had no competition after Schumacher spun out early on.

Schumacher says he will "take risks" to claw back Alonso's lead in the Championship race. In other words he'll cheat, once again. :mad:

Nice to see the other teams getting a look in, for a change. But Hell hath no fury than a Ferrari scorned. The Italian crowd will expect nothing less than a red car winning in Imola, by whatever means!

mypost
06/05/2005, 5:04 AM
Just like to remind our Catalan friends, that the race is called the SPANISH Grand Prix. So no support for Alonso then!! :)

F.A. won the last race, even though there was a red car with the No. 1 on it breathing down his neck for the last 10 laps. However, Schuey's getting ominously closer to winning, helped by the absence of BAR for 2 races.

mypost
19/05/2005, 4:00 AM
F.A. won F.A. in his home GP :D , having to be content with second. He still has a healthy Championship lead, going to the streets of Monaco. The race begins 4 sets of back-to-back races in the season.

Schumacher meanwhile, is way behind in the championship, and experiencing the sort of thrashings he's handed out to his rivals in the past. However in Monaco, any half decent driver can win given the nature of the circuit, the shortest on the calendar.

mypost
27/05/2005, 4:59 AM
After the balmy conditions at the last race in Monaco, the S1 circus leaves Southern Europe for the time being, and moves North to the Nurburgring in Germany. The notorious changeable weather conditions in the Eiffel Mountains, may produce an interesting race, but if it does lash, there will be only one winner, and he drives a red car.

Qualifying has been changed to a single lap session on Saturdays, which may produce some interesting lap times.

elroy
30/05/2005, 10:57 AM
Well lads thoughts on the way its going so far?
bit of a disappointment Raikkonen didnt win yesterday, wouldve closed things up. Its gonna be hard to stop Alonso now, though he hasnt got the fastest car. Good to see the change to qualifying, but biggest disappointment of the season for me is Fisis showings, well below expected.