PDA

View Full Version : Ireland jerseys

Colbert Report
02/03/2005, 3:51 AM
anyone know how long the team will be wearing the new home shirts?

Kingdom
02/03/2005, 8:15 AM
I had heard (can't remember from whom) that there would be new jerseys in the Summer due to a change in the Kit Supplier. If we qualify for the World Cup .... sorry WHEN we qualify for the WC you can be guarenteed there will be a new jersey.

Oops! Just found this (http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=250716&Title=FAI+announces+%26euro;10+million+sponsorship +agreement+with+Umbro&lid=&sub=FAI+announces+%26euro;10+million+sponsorship+a greement+with+Umbro&navlid=&sublid=)

which would suggest the supplier remains UMbro.

If it helps the FAI aren't selling much kit on their online store if thats any indicator.

Colbert Report
02/03/2005, 1:30 PM
thanks

4tothefloor
02/03/2005, 2:30 PM
The current kit will take us through the two years of World Cup qualification, which is 2004\2005. This is pretty standard and is the way it has always been. There would be a new kit to cash in on the world cup, this kit will either be released towards the end of the current qualifying campaign, or just before the World Cup. It's up to the FAI then to decide if that kit should remain for the next Euro qualifiers as well, or if it's just a once off World Cup finals kit.

brine3
02/03/2005, 10:21 PM
I'd love to buy the kit without the Eircom logo and without the new FAI logo. :D

glasgabhainn
03/03/2005, 10:32 AM
Yeah, why is it that the Irish jersey is not available without the Eircom logo? How many other national side's replica jerseys are bedecked with sponsorship?
Open to correction, but none that I can think of.

Eircom have invested a lot in the game here as did Opel before them, but I have always thought a replica jersey ought to mirror that worn by the players, ergo, no logos.

blobbyblob
03/03/2005, 10:38 AM
anyone know how long the team will be wearing the new home shirts?

About 90 minutes :D :D :D :D

tetsujin1979
03/03/2005, 10:56 AM
Yeah, why is it that the Irish jersey is not available without the Eircom logo? How many other national side's replica jerseys are bedecked with sponsorship?
Open to correction, but none that I can think of.

Eircom have invested a lot in the game here as did Opel before them, but I have always thought a replica jersey ought to mirror that worn by the players, ergo, no logos.

AFAIK Ireland the ONLY international team to have the sponsor on the replica jersey.

Kingdom
03/03/2005, 11:18 AM
About 90 minutes :D :D :D :D

Nice
:)

Karlos
03/03/2005, 11:26 AM
AFAIK Ireland the ONLY international team to have the sponsor on the replica jersey.

think your right! what's wrong with splashing eircom all over the tracksuits and rain jackets but leave the kit alone?

As a result you can't buy an Ireland replica shirt, just a 'kinda-like' one! Glad to see this mentioned at last, it's been one of my pet hates for years. Considering that the likes of England and Brazil who have major deals with nationwide and coca-cola don't need to do it, why the hell do we? The eircom logo even appears on our kit in some of the video games on the PS2! :mad:

rant over!

Closed Account 2
03/03/2005, 12:55 PM
I think the away kit is being replaced soon, its been on the go for about 1.5-2 years and is being sold in sports soccer for around £15 (which is usually a sign that a shirt is up for replacement).

Peadar
03/03/2005, 1:08 PM
I think the away kit is being replaced soon, its been on the go for about 1.5-2 years

The team have a new away kit.
They wore it in Switzerland and France, did they not!?

Stuttgart88
03/03/2005, 1:12 PM
I think you're right about there being a new away kit which we wore in Basle, but you're only half-right about it being worn in France. We wore green shirts, but green shorts too.

Yours pedantically...

Karlos
03/03/2005, 1:17 PM
I think you're right about there being a new away kit which we wore in Basle, but you're only half-right about it being worn in France. We wore green shirts, but green shorts too.

Yours pedantically...

I don't believe you can purchase the said 'new' away srtip that we first wore in Basle in 2003 with the 'new' FAI crest. Feel free to contradict. I imagine their will be a new away shirt with the new FAI branding shortly

Peadar
03/03/2005, 1:22 PM
I don't believe you can purchase the said 'new' away srtip that we first wore in Basle in 2003 with the 'new' FAI crest. Feel free to contradict.

The shirt was not worn in 2003 because the crest was only launched in 2004.
You're correct though, it's not available in shops.

Stuttgart88, you're correct about the strip in Paris.
When you mentioned it, I remembered thinking that we should have been wearing white.

Karlos
03/03/2005, 1:27 PM
The shirt was not worn in 2003 because the crest was only launched in 2004.
You're correct though, it's not available in shops.

I think it's the same shirt as the one worn in Basle with just a crest change? Will trawl the net to see if I can get two pictures :)

Closed Account 2
03/03/2005, 1:32 PM
we wore this kit in Basle a few months ago
(Sept '04) ( http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/51273264.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE9A21091711E5AD1E3DA1613E6B44 0E727757C85AE85A779B), but we also wore that kit (for the 1st time) again against the Swiss in Basle, but this time in Sept '03 (for Euro 04 qualifiers)
Pic 1 (http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/2606776.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE57B448A95D15C13EED5CC1AC96C3 CF9E) Pic 2 (http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/2581857.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE94FA9E79D55F2A1DA14070E3B422 20CE)

Notice the difference in FAI badges and Number Font and that the Swiss are in different kits.

Also that kit was worn vs Nigeria (http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/50909166.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE64AD3491938564AE3B78DE8CB925 8692) at the match in the Unity Cup (Summer '04).

Peadar
03/03/2005, 2:15 PM
we wore this kit in Basle a few months ago but we also wore that kit (for the 1st time) again against the Swiss in Basle, but this time in Sept '03 (for Euro 04 qualifiers)

I though the material was different?
The shorts are definitely different.

Peadar
03/03/2005, 3:43 PM
The new ireland away top will be worn against China in March,....

Why so?
We're at home?

Junior
03/03/2005, 4:21 PM
Why so?
We're at home?

Heard of the concept of Marketing? ;)

Dan K
03/03/2005, 7:27 PM
What I want to know is, is whether or not it's possible to have a shirt printed without having to order a new one altogether from the FAI website.

A fella at the FAI said he'd let me know if there was anywhere near here (Southampton) that'd do it with the FAI font, but never got back to me.

When I'm home in the summer, are there any shops that do shirt printing or will I just have to go without? Even if it involves me spending a day in Dublin.

onenilgameover
06/03/2005, 8:38 AM
The team have a new away kit.
They wore it in Switzerland and France, did they not!?

Jaysus thats some memory ye got there..They wore the new home jersey in France..and the old away jersey in Switzerland the one with the lapels on it. As far as I know the new away one will come out a week or two before the Israel match. Its definitely not availible from Umbro as of Dec as the older jersey was used at the fundraiser in Dec in dallyer too.

Karlos
07/03/2005, 11:49 AM
Just happened to pick up a copy of Saturday's Sun on the dart yesterday and was flicking through it and low and behold there was an article on this thread. Something along the lines of 'irish fans outraged with eircom'. Some of our comments (mine included) were printed. They even had quotes froma guy from Eircom and the FAI saying it's an exclusive contract hence the use of eircom on the shirt, it's part of the deal. Still looks silly though! :rolleyes:

Lesson there for us all, be careful what you say on open internet forums (no problem in this instance, but you never know what might end up the press should you have taken a sup too many and come home and log onto foot.ie!) :)

onenilgameover
07/03/2005, 2:33 PM
Just happened to pick up a copy of Saturday's Sun on the dart yesterday and was flicking through it and low and behold there was an article on this thread. Something along the lines of 'irish fans outraged with eircom'. Some of our comments (mine included) were printed. They even had quotes froma guy from Eircom and the FAI saying it's an exclusive contract hence the use of eircom on the shirt, it's part of the deal. Still looks silly though! :rolleyes:

Lesson there for us all, be careful what you say on open internet forums (no problem in this instance, but you never know what might end up the press should you have taken a sup too many and come home and log onto foot.ie!) :)

There's a guy/girl from the sun on here all the time....Its not a bad idea really. This forum provides plenty of worthwhile news items on irish football. Check out the Help section for other articles in the Sun. Pity its just the Sun that has picked up on us.

Eire06
07/03/2005, 2:35 PM
There's a guy/girl from the sun on here all the time....Its not a bad idea really. This forum provides plenty of worthwhile news items on irish football. Check out the Help section for other articles in the Sun. Pity its just the Sun that has picked up on us.

Cause most other papers actually have trained reporters that can come up with their own stories and not copy them from the internet

eirebhoy
07/03/2005, 2:56 PM
Cause most other papers actually have trained reporters that can come up with their own stories and not copy them from the internet
If he/she was copying they wouldn't be mentioning foot.ie in the articles. They are getting a true fans view on issues which is a lot more important than the views of people like Alan Hunter.

stojkovic
07/03/2005, 3:26 PM
Just happened to pick up a copy of Saturday's Sun on the dart yesterday and was flicking through it and low and behold there was an article on this thread.
Why does nobody ever admit to buying the Sun ?

Green Tribe
07/03/2005, 3:29 PM

ha hah hah :D

Karlos
07/03/2005, 3:42 PM

I'd have been even thicker than your average Irish Sun reader if I'd bought Saturday's paper on a Sunday! :eek:

dahamsta
07/03/2005, 5:54 PM
If he/she was copying they wouldn't be mentioning foot.ie in the articles. They are getting a true fans view on issues which is a lot more important than the views of people like Alan Hunter.Free of charge too, with no credits and no respect for your copyright. Nice. Obviously I have something to gain from it because (I assume) Foot.ie gets a mention, but if they quoted me personally I'd be on the phone to them like a shot looking for renumeration for my contribution to their rag! :)

Seriously, the effects are debatable, but what they're doing is theft.

adam

Saint Tom
07/03/2005, 6:08 PM
afaik they wore the old shirts in Basel but with the new crest if that makes sense

Poorly McGrorry
07/03/2005, 8:10 PM

Having a sup too many hasn't prevented Davros logging on the past to share his "insights" on football amongst other topics in the wee small hours ;) . It would be worth the paying for the paper just to see how they get on deciphering his posts! :D

Superhoops
07/03/2005, 8:27 PM
Having a sup too many hasn't prevented Davros logging on the past to share his "insights" on football amongst other topics in the wee small hours ;) . It would be worth the paying for the paper just to see how they get on deciphering his posts! :D
There's talk of bringing the Enigma machine out of mothballs especially for that purpose! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: