PDA

View Full Version : Chelsea fans

Pages : [1] 2 3

gerrypeyton
01/03/2005, 4:56 PM
Last week, myself and a couple of friends made the trip to Barcelona to see the Barca Chelsea match. We arrived on the Monday and the place was all quiet. Come Tuesday night the place was filling up with Chelsea fans. They were walkin around singing no srrender to the IRA and other anti Irish related chants.

We headed out on Tuesday night and one of my mates was wearing an Argentina shirt and got abuse from Chelsea fans all night. One fellow even tried to start a fight with him.

On Wednesday the match day we headed out to the stadium in our Barca gear(being Barca supporters). The match was great. After the match we got the metro back into the city. We got so much abuse from the Chelsea fans for wearin the barca gear and obviuosly not being Spanish. When we got off the metro only for the presence of the riot police im sure we would have received a good beaten.

One of the most frightening experiences of my life.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any frightening experiences at any foreign football games

Pat O' Banton
01/03/2005, 6:00 PM
Not so much hooligan related but before the Portugal v Ireland game at the Stadium of Light (1995) the crush outside the pitifully few opened turnstyles was horrible. Thousands of Ireland fans trying to get into four or five enterences, I've been in crushes before outside matches but that was the worst.

Green Tribe
01/03/2005, 10:49 PM
gerry, such a pack of d*cks, i really did not think they would be so thick as to be singing chants like that, suppose we have to feel sorry for them, being so stupid :D

stojkovic
02/03/2005, 10:02 AM
GerryPeyton,
Yeah, six of us went to Barcelona-Newcastle about two years ago. On the Monday night the Toon army wrecked a number of pubs just off the Ramblas. We also saw them down in the Olimpico part of town and they started fighting with each other.

Going to the match on the Tuesday you could feel the tension. Thank fcuk the match was called off - waterlogged pitch. By the following night most of them had gone home so there wasnt alot of trouble. The Camp Nou was only 'half-full' - 55,000.

Was in Germany in 88.
One night there were loads of locals and Spanish, Dutch and Italians waiting for the Ingerlish fans to come out of an Irish pub.
We had to take off our jerseys and wave them out the door before we could exit or else we'd have getting bricked out of it.

Re; Argentina jersey
Believe it or not I once walked into a night club in MAGALUF and forgot I was wearing an Argie jersey. The bouncer warned me going in but there was no going back. Everyone in there looked at me but must have thought that I was a lunatic and no-one bothered me.

KR's Post
02/03/2005, 10:17 AM
One of the most frightening experiences of my life.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any frightening experiences at any foreign football games
Ther was a mad bit of trouble in 'Place de clichy'(moulin rouge) when we were in paris. Outside O' Sullivans a group of lads(don't know what nationality they were) were causing trouble. I saw one wielding a knife and bottles were being f-ucked here and there. :eek: There was at least a 1000 irish people there but your man walked right by me with the knife, and he was looking fairly p-issed off...... Alot of the guys on this site will remember this i'm sure..... :confused:

stojkovic
02/03/2005, 10:46 AM
We've all (I presume) been to matches in England to watch our own team or indeed with your mates to watch their team. I assume most of you have never experienced any trouble either at the game or in town that night. I'm talking mid nineties onwards here.

Has anyone gone to a Champions League and witnessed those same well behaved fans suddenly turn nasty.

After my experience of the Toon Army in Barcelona I will NEVER go to another away game featuring an English team. I would rather go to a Serie A or La Liga match at a weekend.

Anyone any views on this.

eL fans, relax, I go to games aswell.

anto1208
02/03/2005, 11:44 AM
what did you expect at a chelsea game the headhunters are one of the worst firms about really hate filled morons people like tony frain who slit a cops neck for the laugh , you were lucky to get away with out any fights that weekend at the barca game !!

a very good line written about these people is

"he dont like blacks or queers but he's proud we beat the nazi's , how queer !"

Macy
02/03/2005, 12:45 PM
We've all (I presume) been to matches in England to watch our own team or indeed with your mates to watch their team. I assume most of you have never experienced any trouble either at the game or in town that night. I'm talking mid nineties onwards here.

Has anyone gone to a Champions League and witnessed those same well behaved fans suddenly turn nasty.
I've seen trouble at matches, never mind in town, right through the 90's right through to present day. If you've not witnessed it you've been lucky. It's a total press/FA myth that it's gone away.

Eire06
02/03/2005, 12:53 PM
Ther was a mad bit of trouble in 'Place de clichy'(moulin rouge) when we were in paris. Outside O' Sullivans a group of lads(don't know what nationality they were) were causing trouble. I saw one wielding a knife and bottles were being f-ucked here and there. :eek: There was at least a 1000 irish people there but your man walked right by me with the knife, and he was looking fairly p-issed off...... Alot of the guys on this site will remember this i'm sure..... :confused:

Ya I was there 2 what I saw happen was a load of Dublin young lads were messin about and wouldn't let a car down the road and the driver got out and punched one of the young fellas then the whole gang jumped on the car and distroyed it. Car got away and then came back with reinforcements and glass bottles ect.. Saw one fella with a knife alright but didn't see it used.. only went on for a few mins or was I just that drunk it seemed shorter :rolleyes:
about 5 bottles were thrown into the crowd and..
Only 2 boys injured as far as I heard only minor..

4tothefloor
02/03/2005, 2:02 PM
95 Scousers (RIP) going to their deaths.....

96 fans died, not 95.

Come Tuesday night the place was filling up with Chelsea fans. They were walkin around singing no srrender to the IRA and other anti Irish related chants.

Goes back to a topic on here ages ago, where I said I couldn't understand why any Irish fans would support Chelsea, as they are basically the Glasgow Rangers of the premiership. They are a horrible club, not only their fans, but also their manager and their general attitude. They continue to prove it at all levels, most recently in Barcelona and in Cardiff. I hate seeing Duffer playing for them, but that's football. If it wasn't for the fact that Man Utd are the only side that can catch them, I wouldn't want them to win anything at all.

BTW, did ye notice how lifeless, how colourless and how mundane the Chelsea supporters were in Cardiff on Sunday? The Liverpool fans put them to absolute shame on the day - before, after and during the game. Just goes to show you can't buy everything......

stojkovic
02/03/2005, 2:48 PM
96 fans died, not 95.
You're both right, in a way.
95 died 'on the day' with another poor unfortunate in a coma for a year or something before the machine was switched off.

4tothefloor
02/03/2005, 3:02 PM
Yeah, but nobody refers to 95. They're known as the Hillsborough 96, 'Justice For The 96' campaign etc.

anto1208
02/03/2005, 3:03 PM
same reason irish people support liverpool the orange club and not everton the irish catolic club ! coz none of this rubbish should matter in football .
if you support celtic you have to put up with ignorant rasist biggots the same as if you support rangers or chelsea.

ever been to a celtic game and heard the hatefull crap out of there mouths .

one comment was " i hate those biggoted, orange hun *******s"

stojkovic
02/03/2005, 3:07 PM
I've seen trouble at matches, never mind in town, right through the 90's right through to present day. If you've not witnessed it you've been lucky. It's a total press/FA myth that it's gone away.
More like a 'cover-up'.
I remember living in London once and walking through Victoria station which was deserted and closed up. The Toon Army had rampaged through it after losing at Wimbledon.
Next day - nothing in the papers.

anto eile
02/03/2005, 4:01 PM
in fairness chelsea are filth. and millwall. you should have expected that behavior from the chelsea fans.theyr arguably the worst of the lot re the whole anti irish crap

anto eile
02/03/2005, 4:09 PM
same reason irish people support liverpool the orange club and not everton the irish catolic club ! coz none of this rubbish should matter in football .
if you support celtic you have to put up with ignorant rasist biggots the same as if you support rangers or chelsea.

ever been to a celtic game and heard the hatefull crap out of there mouths .

one comment was " i hate those biggoted, orange hun *******s"

" i hate those biggoted, orange hun *******s"[/
theres nothing wrong with that.thats a statement of fact.

regardless of whether it should or shouldnt matter, it does ,like it or not --simple as that. try open your mouth with an irish accent at ibrox,even in a hun shirt ,see if you get out alive and well. do the same at stamford brigde you wont be very welcome in many parts of the ground.the irish chelsea supporters club complained in the evil herald a few months ago that the club often situate them next to the chelsea loyalist mob.however ive no sympathy for these people,they shouldnt be following a horrible notorious racist club like chelsea anyway.

as for liverpool, anfield road has an orange lodge and lots of loyalists in the area.if youre irish you would be putting yourself in danger to live there

anto eile
02/03/2005, 4:10 PM
More like a 'cover-up'.
I remember living in London once and walking through Victoria station which was deserted and closed up. The Toon Army had rampaged through it after losing at Wimbledon.
Next day - nothing in the papers.

blatant cover-up alright.and irish papers are worse for it.they propagate the myth of premiership being the be all and end all, yet when a few handbags are thrown at Rovers v gypos its front page headlines. cue "vomit smiley"

anto eile
02/03/2005, 4:13 PM
is there any particular english club that would have a general positive/welcoming attitude to the Irish. everton would be one, i believe. and ive only ever been to one english league game, tranmere v colchester coupla weeks ago. no obvious anti-irish attitudes at prenton park as far as i noticed

anto1208
02/03/2005, 4:29 PM

you miss my point it was the fact he was calling them rassist biggots while at the same time also using rassist biggoted terms to discribe them .

you call millwall /chelsea fans scum for signing anti irish songs surely celtic fans are scum aswell for signing anti english songs !!

only club in england i know with a fondness for the irish is indeed everton , common misconseption that liverpool are the "irish" club

WeAreRovers
02/03/2005, 4:33 PM

I can back that up too. It's goes on every week, up and down the UK ie. West Ham v Cardiff, unbelievable trouble and no mention in the media.

Conor - Up to 1000 Leeds tried to get at Cardiff this season. The Yorkshire cops saids Cardiff fans behaved impeccably. Leeds are total scum still, despite the fact that the media don't care 'cos they're not famous anymore. ;)

And the lads who were upset at some píssed up Chelsea or Newcastle fans should try attending the Rome derby - now that's real trouble. Terrifying and exhilirating at the same time.

KOH

KR's Post
02/03/2005, 4:37 PM
Ya I was there 2 what I saw happen was a load of Dublin young lads were messin about and wouldn't let a car down the road and the driver got out and punched one of the young fellas then the whole gang jumped on the car and distroyed it. Car got away and then came back with reinforcements and glass bottles ect.. Saw one fella with a knife alright but didn't see it used.. only went on for a few mins or was I just that drunk it seemed shorter :rolleyes:
about 5 bottles were thrown into the crowd and..
Only 2 boys injured as far as I heard only minor..
Ye, the lads got a little out of control by not letting the cars go by..... And it lasted for about 20mins as far as i remember. I was drunk aswell...... I didn't see the knife being used either but jeez he would've if needs be.... :eek:

Eire06
02/03/2005, 4:45 PM
Ye, the lads got a little out of control by not letting the cars go by..... And it lasted for about 20mins as far as i remember. I was drunk aswell...... I didn't see the knife being used either but jeez he would've if needs be.... :eek:

Them boys were over at the 3rd car lane over and they were trowin cans at the cars and really gettin rowdy not havin the craic, they were even fightin between themselves, so it was there fault really...
I stayed at the two lanes outside O'Sullivans which were pretty much closed off anyway appart from the odd car that attempted to go down.. always a bit of play actin but nothin serious

anto eile
02/03/2005, 5:10 PM
you miss my point it was the fact he was calling them rassist biggots while at the same time also using rassist biggoted terms to discribe them .

you call millwall /chelsea fans scum for signing anti irish songs surely celtic fans are scum aswell for signing anti english songs !!

only club in england i know with a fondness for the irish is indeed everton , common misconseption that liverpool are the "irish" club

FFS b@stard is not a racist bigotted term.
and neither is hun. hun is a term used to describe any rangers fan,regardless of race religion etc. the term was even coined by an english newspaper (the sun i think) to describe rangers fans behavior after they ran amok somewhere in england some years ago.
most of the supposedly anti-english Celtic songs arent necessarily anti-english, just Irish republican songs.it could have been anti german,anti french or anti faroese even.they are songs referring to the historical oppression of ireland. but yes there are some bigots at Celtic.but its nowhere near as bad as rangers.

trevy
02/03/2005, 6:39 PM
Yes KOH I was at the Rome derby a few years ago and I never saw so much security and hostility at a game.The missiles were flying from the fans and they were hurling abuse at the riot police walking along the athletics track.There were hundreds of riot police outside.We had to leave 10 mins from the end :mad: as there were 2 girls with us who wanted to leave(presumably cos one of them was nearly hit by a flying missile!) and missed the riot in the Lazio fans end where we were.
Also was at Roma v Liverpool UEFA Cup game in 2001 when Liverpool won 2-0 :D and it was the same story with the Italians worse than the English for throwing things.The sheer scale of security kept anything from 'kicking off' and Liverpool fans were kept behind for 2 hours after the game.

Bring Back Mick
02/03/2005, 7:19 PM
Goes back to a topic on here ages ago, where I said I couldn't understand why any Irish fans would support Chelsea, as they are basically the Glasgow Rangers of the premiership.

BTW, did ye notice how lifeless, how colourless and how mundane the Chelsea supporters were in Cardiff on Sunday? The Liverpool fans put them to absolute shame on the day - before, after and during the game. Just goes to show you can't buy everything......

Didn't realise we upset you so much don't think the good old Catholic management team of Jose and Stevie Clarke would be made welcome @ Ibrox, and maybe you would be surprised at the amount of Irish Chelsea fans out there, everyone is entitled to their opinion u make sure you get to the point of what you want to say !!!

I was at Cardiff on Sunday were you ?
The Liverpool fans did add colour and some atmosphere (was noted on the offical CFC chat) to the occassion........put us to shame after the game ??? But don't worry the Irish Chelsea support was well represented and I'm sure my flag wound up "the minority scum" (as some on here refer to them) as it was in a prime position to be seen by most of the Chelsea support........and acknowledged by Duffer and Stevie Clarke before the game....Roll on the Premiership

Looks like Duffer will be a thorn in your side for years to come he loves it at the Bridge and intends staying for the duration .....Keep the Blue flag flying High !!!

http://northcote0.tripod.com/cardiff/DCP_0122.JPG

sylvo
02/03/2005, 7:25 PM
[QUOTE=anto1208]

surely celtic fans are scum aswell for signing anti english songs !!

Here we go :rolleyes: again.
And what anti English songs might they be, funny enough most of those songs that you would proberly be classing as anti English used to be played on RTE radio pre 1969, even been known to be played at plenty of dance's and other Irish community functions i've been at. :eek:

gspain
02/03/2005, 8:04 PM

regardless of whether it should or shouldnt matter, it does ,like it or not --simple as that. try open your mouth with an irish accent at ibrox,even in a hun shirt ,see if you get out alive and well. do the same at stamford brigde you wont be very welcome in many parts of the ground.the irish chelsea supporters club complained in the evil herald a few months ago that the club often situate them next to the chelsea loyalist mob.however ive no sympathy for these people,they shouldnt be following a horrible notorious racist club like chelsea anyway.

as for liverpool, anfield road has an orange lodge and lots of loyalists in the area.if youre irish you would be putting yourself in danger to live there

no idsea re an Irish accent and a Rangers shirt but in Shelbourne shirts the last lot of EL fans got very well treated at Ibrox.

However you are correct in that there is clearly a narrow minded set of bigots that follow Rangers as proved by the sectarian chanting shown on Panorama programme on sunday night. Indeed despite what the Rangers fans might claim about all the bigotry being one sided they are just as bad as Celtic.

gspain
03/03/2005, 7:21 AM
Their H*n constituency are overt Fascists.....please dont compare to the 'Tic......there may be a few retard Tim neds....... :rolleyes: but those Hun-types wouldn't like you because of yer name,accent & nationality GS......& me,due to my colour ! :mad:

I think the only people that cam eout well from th eprogramme were the staff att he Glasgow Royal Infirmary and the police.

I thought Quinn, Murray and the other Rangers guy were all a disgrace. The singing speaks for itself although I object strongly to our national anthem being considered sectarian even in the wrong language.

I was moderator of the football discussion board in a previous company and experienced a lot of the bile that goes on and frankly one set of fans were just as bad as the other. Many decent fans too of both clubs incl a couple of protestant Celtic fans (not that unusual I appreciate) and a Catholic Ibrox season ticket holder.

anto1208
03/03/2005, 8:08 AM
FFS b@stard is not a racist bigotted term.
and neither is hun. hun is a term used to describe any rangers fan,regardless of race religion etc. the term was even coined by an english newspaper (the sun i think) to describe rangers fans behavior after they ran amok somewhere in england some years ago.
most of the supposedly anti-english Celtic songs arent necessarily anti-english, just Irish republican songs.it could have been anti german,anti french or anti faroese even.they are songs referring to the historical oppression of ireland. but yes there are some bigots at Celtic.but its nowhere near as bad as rangers.

think you will find that the word hun was used by british soldiers in the war to describe the germans !!!!
ill accept that the songs are more irish republican songs than anti engliah but what the hell has irish republican songs got to do with a scotish soccer team ?

give over on the celtic fans are nt that bad there are just as bad as rangers fans if not even worse

to say rangers fans would attack you if they hear your accent or name is rubbish ive often been out on the **** in glasgow and met rangers fans and had a great time with them .

Junior
03/03/2005, 8:55 AM
to say rangers fans would attack you if they hear your accent or name is rubbish ive often been out on the **** in glasgow and met rangers fans and had a great time with them .

From the rubbish you spout on here, that does not surprise me one bit.

anto1208
03/03/2005, 9:19 AM
From the rubbish you spout on here, that does not surprise me one bit.

what does that mean ? just coz im irish doesnt mean i have to hate rangers fans , im not one on these idiots that thinks rangers fans are all scum and celtic fans are angels . both are as bad as each other .

some one called chelsea fans scum for saying no surrender to the ira but its perfectly acceptable to ye for celtic fans to sing songs praising the ira ,

anto1208
03/03/2005, 9:31 AM
Their H*n constituency are overt Fascists.....please dont compare to the 'Tic......there may be a few retard Tim neds....... :rolleyes: but those Hun-types wouldn't like you because of yer name,accent & nationality GS......& me,due to my colour ! :mad:

so celtic fans never dislike some one for having a prodistant/english name or just because they are english etc etc get real man both celtic and rangers fans are as bad as each other , they're both narrow minded biggots to be found in each

stojkovic
03/03/2005, 9:38 AM
what does that mean ? just coz im irish doesnt mean i have to hate rangers fans , im not one on these idiots that thinks rangers fans are all scum and celtic fans are angels . both are as bad as each other .

some one called chelsea fans scum for saying no surrender to the ira but its perfectly acceptable to ye for celtic fans to sing songs praising the ira ,
Well said.
The bigotry seems to get worse as the years go on and not better.
Forget Celtic-Rangers as they live in the past, as does the standard of their league. Hartson FFS.
Regarding English teams anyone should be allowed support who they like and not based on the fact that they were a Catholic club back in 1876 - TWO Centuries ago.

KR's Post
03/03/2005, 12:19 PM
I stayed at the two lanes outside O'Sullivans which were pretty much closed off anyway appart from the odd car that attempted to go down.. always a bit of play actin but nothin serious
I was actually directing cars down that way for the laugh. I wasn't doing it to be a *****. Me and a couple others were directing them off the roundabout onto the 2 laned road outside O'Sullivans. I was beside the guy who was pretending to window clean the cars.... We didn't expect it to get all rowdy!!! Still though, i had a good night, wasn't letting a couple of imature ars-eholes ruin my trip/nite. Remember the BOUNCER from O'Sullivans chasing the black guy down the road after he was refused into the pub???? Funny stuff.... ;)

Green Tribe
03/03/2005, 2:24 PM
There was a time a few seasons back where Leeds fans, including women and children, were greeted at Cardiff with coins and bottles of urine during a cup tie. Imagine the mentality of someone to **** into a bottle and throw it at other fans? .

dirty feckers, that is just plain disgusting, they should be made drink it!! :mad:

Junior
03/03/2005, 4:18 PM
I think the only people that came out well from the programme were the staff att he Glasgow Royal Infirmary and the police.

I thought Quinn, Murray and the other Rangers guy were all a disgrace. The singing speaks for itself although I object strongly to our national anthem being considered sectarian even in the wrong language.

To be fair No one came out of the programme well, least of all the BBC.

It was utter drivel, poorly researched, sensationalism and nothing but replaying rubbish from before and sticking a 2005 date on it.

- lets spoon feed a couple of neds in a young offenders institute, (when he say "Rangers supporter" I (the BBC reporter) will spoon feed him the word "protestant")

- lets go on to the streets of Glasgow and ask if the word 'Tim' is offensive? Respondents didn't know nor care. Otherwise they knew it as a term for a Celtic fan - used by Celtic fans themselves for christ sake!

- The Soldiers Song & Boys of the Old Brigade were the 2 ditties used as examples of Sectarian singing throughout the Celtic support. Largely non existant at CP these days (but thats another story with regards atmosphere) they focused on the away support. Not sure where the anti protestant / sectarian feelings are, in these songs? - I just don't see it.

- Where were the examples of Sectarianism in Scottish Society as a whole(after all it was titled 'Scotlands Secret Shame'?) or from fans of other clubs or indeed the SFA themselves?

- IMO Quinn was only a disgrace in that he blamed Celtics Away support (of which he claimed he had no control as they were not ST holders :confused: ) These fans have spent fortunes in terms of money & time, they have been recognised by european and world football bodies + police forces of major european cities for their excellent behaviour. For Quinn to just accept the criticism without pointing out the fact of our excellent behaviour and the fact that singing of the Irish National Anthem is NOT sectarian (unless sang in the West of Scotland :confused: ) was lame to say the least.

You are right you don't have to hate Rangers fans, I don't recall saying that you did.

Yourself and Gspain are just 2 on here who often trot out the 'they are just as bad as each other line' and it grates with me.

Celtic are an all inclusive club colour, creed, age, religion it matters not a jot - we happen to be based in the West of Scotland - a place smothered in Anti Irish & Catholic feeling. (cue: Conor74, Mark walters......)

I object to the simplistic & ignorant view that we are both as bad as each other trotted out by Panorama, tabloids or those who just don't care enough to ascertain the truth on the subject. Its not that I expect you to care enough, as you are not celtic fans and Im sure you have more important things on your plate - but then don't post on issues you clearly know little about.

Mod's: I know there is another thread on this so move this response if you feel the need.

anto1208
03/03/2005, 4:45 PM
Yourself and Gspain are just 2 on here who often trot out the 'they are just as bad as each other line' and it grates with me.

but then don't post on issues you clearly know little about.

right so when i was in bairds bar before the celtic games i didnt hear fans signing anti english songs , when i was sat behind the goals i did nt hear fans screaming abuse at players about being prodestant /orange etc etc (same old rubbish ).
i didnt hear songs about the ira , come on you are kidding are nt you ?

im not talking about stuff i was told happened or saw on tv im talking about stuff i wittnessed at games in glasgow in the pubs in the clubs around the streets , im talking about the celtic firm rounding up people to go fight rangers fans that were walking by .
ill also say that yes it does happen on both side like the steward that was slashed(a rangers fan working for celtic ) in the face or the guy that was chased down the street and stabbed in the face for wearing a celtic top .

celtic fans have got to stop this rubbish of its all them not us coz it comes from both sides

maybe you sit beside the nice few celtic fans !!!that have cups of tea and get cabs to and from the game :rolleyes:

Junior
03/03/2005, 4:53 PM
Panorama, of course, is known for being a hotbed of bias and no better than a tabloid. Why would we listen to that drivel when we could read all we ever need to know about Celtic on Celtic View, for an objective and measured attempt to 'ascertain the truth'...

I'm not suggesting it was biassed, just a very very poorly researched programme that did nothing to disclose 'scotlands secret shame' as it purported to do. You didn't watch it to find out about Celtic did you Conor? :confused:

Junior
03/03/2005, 5:01 PM
right so when i was in bairds bar before the celtic games i didnt hear fans signing anti english songs , when i was sat behind the goals i did nt hear fans screaming abuse at players about being prodestant /orange etc etc (same old rubbish ).
i didnt hear songs about the ira , come on you are kidding are nt you ?

Im not sure what constitutes an Anti English song, however I'll assume you are referring to Repulican/Rebel/IRA songs call them what you want & yes I hear these regulalrly in pubs around Celtic Park (I never said otherwise)- Is it sectarian to be a republican? is it sectarian to sing the Soldiers song? is it sectarian to sing a republican song that you know nothing about? I don't think it is.

Is it sectarian to call someone a Protestant XXXXX, then quite clearly it is. Do I hear this sort of thing at CP?, rare, if ever to be honest and Im there nearly every other week. You get a few idiots as Im sure you do at Everton or whatever team you follow, but generally Celtic fans don't give a **** what religion you are just what team you follow.

im not talking about stuff i was told happened or saw on tv im talking about stuff i wittnessed at games in glasgow in the pubs in the clubs around the streets , im talking about the celtic firm rounding up people to go fight rangers fans that were walking by .
ill also say that yes it does happen on both side like the steward that was slashed(a rangers fan working for celtic ) in the face or the guy that was chased down the street and stabbed in the face for wearing a celtic top .

Firms 'squaring up' happens the length and breadth of the UK & across Europe - so what? its pathetic, very sad & blights all football clubs to one degree or another.

Violence in Glasgow is quite high, particulalrly knife related incidents - I don't dispute, though I don't have the stats to compare with other major cities. In part it does reflect the sad extremes that indiviuals will go due to a football rivalry.

celtic fans have got to stop this rubbish of its all them not us coz it comes from both sides

maybe you sit beside the nice few celtic fans !!!that have cups of tea and get cabs to and from the game :rolleyes:

I've never said anything of the sort. Im only interested in defending my club and its reputation from people like you who are happy to say they are all the same. We are not all the same & I'll stop banging the drum when you stop talking utter drivel.

The people I sit beside are very nice as it happens :D

dublinred
03/03/2005, 5:07 PM
think you will find that the word hun was used by british soldiers in the war to describe the germans !!!!

As Elizabeth Windsor & family is german the Celts use the term hun to wind up the rangers.

Closed Account 2
04/03/2005, 2:49 AM

Anyone any views on this.

Never experienced any trouble watching Tranmere (mainly away games) since around 1992. Even against teams with bad reputations (like Millwall - twice in cup a couple of seasons ago, or Cardiff a couple of years ago) there has never been any obvious bother - tho I've not been to matchs vs Wolves or Stoke both of whom are rumoured to have sizeable elements of troublemakers. There probably have been incidents associated with the games, but if you dont go looking for trouble and dont go to dodgy pubs etc then 99% of the time you'll be fine.

As for Champions League matches, Ive only been to a handful and there wasnt any trouble at them. The most recent were Real v Marseille (last year) and Juve v Maccabi (this year). The Marseille fans were loud but well behaved, and in the other match there were only a couple of thousand at the Delle Alpi and the only trouble was from overzealous stewards who wouldnt let tourists (a good 20% of the home crowd) take photos during the game.

One of my friends went to Roma v Galatasary a good few years ago now (when Batistuta played for them) and said the behaviour of the Galatasary fans was pretty poor. Theyre had been a ****-up with checking the fans and they were chucking all sorts of things at the Roma fans. Mostly plastic bottles, but some of them had sharpend beer bottle tops and put some sort of thing in them which was then lit, which made the tops travel at some speed. Anyway eventually the Italian police donned riot gear and used the giant hose (you always see this hose at matches in Italy before the games) to subdue and break up the away fans. I think there was a fight amongst the players at the end of the match too, and Roma got a hefty fine for the crowd trouble.

lopez
04/03/2005, 6:25 AM
...though some of us are fortunate enough to know a certain 'Mr.Jerry Kilburn' who's all things to all people.......& appeared in a no.of hooligan tomes! :rolleyes: Heard a funny story - told by JK himself - about the time he spotted 'Duffer' coming out of SB. 'Oright Duffer' he goes then behind him were these c*nts from the O6C who started singing 'No Surrender!' JK done a rambo and steamed into them. Sounds great, although about as much an urban myth as the story about the porn film, the 30 Stone black man and the dwarf being rammed up his... :eek:

right so when i was in bairds bar before the celtic games i didnt hear fans signing anti english songs.What's these anti-English songs? Flower of Scotland? Bet you don't mind that when it's played at a rugby game. :rolleyes: In the panorama programme, certain d*ck heads added in 'IRA', 'Provisional wing' :confused: :rolleyes: into certain 'rebel' songs and a reference to Juan Pablo (which particluarly p*sses me off) in our anthem, but you can hardly call any of these songs anti-English. One of them is sung by the rugger buggers. Where's the reference to 'up to our necks in English blood?'

Panorama, of course, is known for being a hotbed of bias and no better than a tabloid. Why would we listen to that drivel when we could read all we ever need to know about Celtic on Celtic View, for an objective and measured attempt to 'ascertain the truth'...What? No mention of Mark Walters and bananas today?

no idsea re an Irish accent and a Rangers shirt but in Shelbourne shirts the last lot of EL fans got very well treated at Ibrox.Ahhhh!! I bet they were treated like royalty. Tell me again, where was the first leg played again...and why?

anto1208
04/03/2005, 12:38 PM
Is it sectarian to be a republican? is it sectarian to sing the Soldiers song? is it sectarian to sing a republican song that you know nothing about? I don't think it is.

You get a few idiots as Im sure you do at Everton
:D

so if rebublican songs are nt sectarian then at the same time unionist songs cant be called sectarian either ,

and yes you do get a lot of idiots at everton games at the momment there is a very bad rassist undercurrent at the club but the difference is that i can see this and admit to it rather than just constantly and blindly defending my club when such thing s are are going on .

im not saying celtic fans are worse than rangers or any other club but to say rangers fans are sectarian biggots while at the same time refusing to accept that it also happens at celtic is silly and the sooner celtic fans accept this the sooner they can rid it from the game ,

what the ira has to do with celtic ill never understand

gspain
04/03/2005, 1:18 PM
Ahhhh!! I bet they were treated like royalty. Tell me again, where was the first leg played again...and why?

If you want to know the real reason why it was because the kickoff for Tolka was moved to 12 noon by the guards and Shels would have lost a packet then. Rangers had 3 busloads travelling - only a handful of tickets sold here so in answer to yuor question - money.

That game should have been played in Dublin. It would have gone off peacefully. rangers had restricted tickets anyway but then opened it up for Tranmere.

I've a lot of respect for what Shels have done in our league and genuinely wish them well. I'll be going alongg as usual to support them in Europe and in the Setanta Cup v Portadown (neutral at the Cork game) but I think a dangerous precedent was set here.

Now I am not standing up for Rangers here. I know they have a sectarian element. I know they have a thug element. The Panorama programme clearly showed that.

As for Ibrox I was there for a game v Aberdeen 14 years ago the day before Packie's testimonial - Irish accent talking freely no problems. Tense hate filled match and some sectarian singing (although the rivalry there is not sectarian) not a family day out by any means.

However I think Celtic are just as bad. I saw Hearts v Celtic in 97 during a business trip to Edinburgh - loads of sectarian singing from the away end and none in the home end that I heard (I was in the home end). I was in the away end at an Edinburgh derby a couple of years back at Tynecastle and again no sectarian singing albeit plenty of hatred.

Junior
04/03/2005, 1:33 PM
so if rebublican songs are nt sectarian then at the same time unionist songs cant be called sectarian either ,

What a great argument, why didn't I think of that one :confused:
Give me one example of Celtic's support singing anti-protestant songs, of 'being up to our knees in protestant blood' ?? (and I don't mean a couple of idiots in a pub)

You might also note that many great republican ballads are in fact praising great protestants of the past. Sectarian indeed.

and yes you do get a lot of idiots at everton games at the momment there is a very bad rassist undercurrent at the club but the difference is that i can see this and admit to it rather than just constantly and blindly defending my club when such thing s are are going on .

im not saying celtic fans are worse than rangers or any other club but to say rangers fans are sectarian biggots while at the same time refusing to accept that it also happens at celtic is silly and the sooner celtic fans accept this the sooner they can rid it from the game ,

what the ira has to do with celtic ill never understand

Blindly defending? I think as a long time ST holder, in regular attendance at Celtic Matches home, away & abroad I can defend my club without doing so blindly. You however have had a couple of 'tourist' visits to Bairds bar and can obviously comment with authority :rolleyes:

Many of Celtics support would agree with you re: the IRA. But does being a Republican make you a sectarian bigot?

However I think Celtic are just as bad. I saw Hearts v Celtic in 97 during a business trip to Edinburgh - loads of sectarian singing from the away end and none in the home end that I heard (I was in the home end). I was in the away end at an Edinburgh derby a couple of years back at Tynecastle and again no sectarian singing albeit plenty of hatred.

Out of interest gspain. what was the "loads of sectarian singing'" you heard. I'd be interested to hear what constitutes sectarian singing in your opinion.

Pat O' Banton
04/03/2005, 1:51 PM

I almost choked on my soup!

I was in the Hearts end for a match against Celtic in November 2001 and I have to say that the hatred from the Hearts fans was something else; everyone in green was a fenian or taig, the Nazi salute was openly used (as well as the red hand of Ulster gesture as well) and everyone around me seemed to believe that they were up to their knees in fenian blood.

The night got more interesting when the Haymarket area got closed of after a group of Hearts fans attack the Irish club there (we were actually locked in the Haymarket pub at the police's insistence at 8pm - so it wasn't all bad!)
Hearts are actually some of the most bigoted and nasty fans in Scotland.

Pat O' Banton
04/03/2005, 1:54 PM
Anyone else noticed how two seperate threads about English clubs have desended into Celtic / Rangers ones?

Just a point.

gspain
04/03/2005, 2:00 PM
hearts sing "Hello Hello we are the gorgie boys" but it does not mention fenian blood afaik. i think it is Hibee blood - not very nice I'll grant you. The Billy Boys is sectarian IMO.

I would consider IRA songs to be sectarian - The Boys of the old brigade. sean South, I consider the term "hun" to be sectarian and dirty orange b^&tards" to be sectarian.

The band on the pitch played both Sean South and the boys of the Old Brigade before Packie's testimonial.

Junior
04/03/2005, 2:12 PM
I would consider IRA songs to be sectarian - The Boys of the old brigade. sean South,

Yet you do not believe The Soldiers Song to be - In terms of the lyrics is there any signifcant difference?

I consider the term "hun" to be sectarian

I guess you would also include

"Sheepshagger"
"Munich Scum"
"Scouse *******"

All examples of a derogatory term for opposing fans - all sectarian? :confused:

Pat O' Banton
04/03/2005, 2:33 PM
Or that yer now a C'ville man :confused: .....what ever happened to Finn Harps :rolleyes: ....Herr Bear approves though! :D

Finn Harps badge for summer when the eL is on, Cliftonville for winter when the IL is on. Herr Bear can join myself and Sulvo an MJ in Riff Raffs (£1.60 a pin Sunday to Thurs) next Thursday.

Gary, as far as I could make out it was fenian blood (but I could stand to be corrected.) It certainly doesn't change the sectarian bile that was coming from their fans or the Nazi salutes or the attack on the Irish club by their fans later that night.

Rangers fans without the bus fare is their affectionate nick name which neatly sums up how they have acted in the past.

I have to catch a coach so I'll have to get back to you about the rebel songs!