PDA

View Full Version : Elvis dominating chartS?

Pauro 76
01/03/2005, 7:34 AM
Eh maybe ive missed something, but why are there so many Elvis singles clogging up the Top 40? Is it to celebrate him turning 60, or is it just a money making exercise, i mean there have already been 2 recent best ofs?????

noby
01/03/2005, 8:23 AM
They're re-releasing all his number ones; one single a week. It's because he was ;) 70 in January

tetsujin1979
01/03/2005, 8:57 AM
They're re-releasing all his number ones; one single a week. It's because he was ;) 70 in January

I heard it was because the 1000th number one is coming up (think it's up to about 994 or something now) and Sony wanted to give Elvis the best chance of getting it *cough*splutter*fix*cough* While Elvis getting it wouldn't particularly bother me, this whole "rigging the charts" thing is annoying.

noby
01/03/2005, 8:58 AM
The down-side to this is that Elvis had the record for most top thirty hits in the (British) charts in one year - twelve. That record was equalled by the Wedding Present. Now it looks like he'll create a new record, seen as he had about 18 no.1's, all to be re-released.

Time for Hit Parade part 2, me thinks.

noby
01/03/2005, 9:08 AM
I heard it was because the 1000th number one is coming up (think it's up to about 994 or something now)

Well yes, and he got it too. Back in January. 'One night' - store that away for the trivia quiz.

aidz1
01/03/2005, 9:46 AM
i heard it was that the copyrights run out after 50 years, so the record company is maximising any last profits that it can milk from all his singles

Aberdonian Stu
01/03/2005, 9:51 AM
Yeah the official reason is anniversary related but the main reason is because of copyright. Interstingly enough though I think Suspicious minds is one of his later number ones (when it first got there) and as it's one of the more profitable airplay wise it will lose the copyright later than most of the others. And quite randomly did you know that the 1000th number one (One night) was also the lowest selling number one in history (although I don't know how the five or six since have fared).

GavinZac
01/03/2005, 10:07 AM
And quite randomly did you know that the 1000th number one (One night) was also the lowest selling number one in history (although I don't know how the five or six since have fared).

online music stores are taking over. it might have been the highest selling cd of that week, but the no1 online track sold more.

noby
01/03/2005, 10:41 AM
I guess circumstances like the general falling sales of singles, combined with the annual January slump, and the fact that as Elvis no.1's go, it's probably the least well-known/popular, helped to break the record.