PDA

View Full Version : League fixtures 1st Sept.

Pages : [1] 2

ToberonaTornado
31/08/2017, 6:59 PM
Premier Division:

Bohemian FC v Galway United
Dundalk FC v Saint Patrick's Ath.
Limerick FC v Finn Harps
Shamrock Rovers v Cork City -** live on RTE2 **

First Division:

Athlone Town v Cobh Ramblers
Cabinteeley FC v Longford Town.
UCDAFC v Wexford FC
Waterford FC v Shelbourne FC

--------------------------------------------------------------

REFS: http://www.extratime.ie/articles/19675/match-officials-appointed---september-1st/
SUSPENSIONS: http://www.extratime.ie/articles/19674/suspension-list---september-1st/
COUPON: http://www.paddypower.com/football/football-matches/ireland

Ezeikial
31/08/2017, 10:10 PM
Among the incendiary remarks from John Caulfield in advance of meeting Rovers is this gem, which is clearly aimed at Stephen Bradley

“All the shouting has come from the other corner,” said Caulfield. “As I keep saying, any person in charge of any team. or any manager, your time will come and other people will decide your fate, with your results after a period of time.
“There’s no doubt there’s been a lot of shouting coming at myself and at the club but we’re in a great position. We’ve done fantastically well over the last few years, we’ve come from nowhere. We’ve to hold our heads and not get inovlved.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/john-caulfield-vents-fury-at-shamrock-rovers-457973.html

Real ale Madrid
31/08/2017, 10:48 PM
He must be taking lessons from Kenny!

Kingswood Rover
31/08/2017, 10:49 PM
A load of tosh from Caulfield no way are yiz winning your 1st title on our patch WAR

sbgawa
01/09/2017, 7:40 AM
Among the incendiary remarks from John Caulfield in advance of meeting Rovers is this gem, which is clearly aimed at Stephen Bradley

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/john-caulfield-vents-fury-at-shamrock-rovers-457973.html
We haven't had a penos in ages ....whine whine whine ...
Clearly aimed at kennywhine :)

Mr A
01/09/2017, 8:44 AM
Good to see managers doing their bit to implement the Gabay report.

Ezeikial
01/09/2017, 8:46 AM
Stephen Bradley is clear benefiting from the intensive media training he is receiving and managed to avoid fuelling the fire ignited by John Caulfield's poorly judged comments early in the week.

He made an unusual about of sense, up until the point that he compared Graham Burkes red card offence in the first league game with the spat between Webster and Bennett in the EA Sports Cup

Caulfield was enraged by Alan Bennett's red card for an alleged stamp on Dave Webster - who the Cork boss claimed made the most of the incident.
Bennett served a one-game ban but Bradley was surprised not to see further punishment handed to the Cork defender.

"The only thing I would say is that if you look at Graham's (Burke) one up in Dundalk at the start of the year, he got a few games," he maintained.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/bradley-happy-for-rovers-to-keep-frustrating-cork-36089929.html

For anyone who looks at Burke's kick at Jamie McGrath, should be clear that it was a 3 game suspension offence, whereas the Webster-Bennett incident was far from clear on TV evidence

Calcio Jack
01/09/2017, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=Ezeikial;1934178]Stephen Bradley is clear benefiting from the intensive media training he is receiving and managed to avoid fuelling the fire ignited by John Caulfield's poorly judged comments early in the week.

/QUOTE]

Clearly you're not benefitting from your OBD* counselling sessions -

* Obsessive Bradley Disorder

Crosshead
01/09/2017, 3:02 PM
"If they're not talking about you it means you're miles away and we're not miles away.

"I think you'd be foolish to think anything different. We know and they know and the players on the pitch know that the games between us have been very tight this year.

For what it's worth, I think they'll get a result against us tonight as we're off form, but overall City are 29 points clear of Shams and their only win against us under Bradley came in injury time of extra time when they had an extra man for some 80-odd minutes.

This after Bradley was talking about overtaking us at the start of the season. But sure, they're not miles away.

sbgawa
01/09/2017, 4:31 PM
Stephen Bradley is clear benefiting from the intensive media training he is receiving and managed to avoid fuelling the fire ignited by John Caulfield's poorly judged comments early in the week.

He made an unusual about of sense, up until the point that he compared Graham Burkes red card offence in the first league game with the spat between Webster and Bennett in the EA Sports Cup

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/bradley-happy-for-rovers-to-keep-frustrating-cork-36089929.html

For anyone who looks at Burke's kick at Jamie McGrath, should be clear that it was a 3 game suspension offence, whereas the Webster-Bennett incident was far from clear on TV evidence

You spend more time worrying about everything Bradley says then I do..................and its still ages since we had a penalty whine whine whine kennywhine

sbgawa
01/09/2017, 4:35 PM
For what it's worth, I think they'll get a result against us tonight as we're off form, but overall City are 29 points clear of Shams and their only win against us under Bradley came in injury time of extra time when they had an extra man for some 80-odd minutes.

This after Bradley was talking about overtaking us at the start of the season. But sure, they're not miles away.

Your entitled to gloat with where you are now and im glad CCFC have won the league, I will be just as insufferable when we do it :)
Next season is shaping up to be exciting, we will strengthen but should be more cohesive from the off next year (9 debutants in our first match of the season this year)
I'm hoping for a result tonight and thanking God that Trevor Clarke is still a hoop with the transfer window closed.

Kingswood Rover
01/09/2017, 5:16 PM
Article on the Rovers website about closing/cover some seating at both ends and front of the East stand because of flares, encroachments onto the pitch and standing on the stairs at the Europa league qualifier and doing this there is a very real danger that the authorities will close the stand. Give me strength soon wont be allowed to sing or stand. We stand at the square end of the East there are going to be a few unhappy hoopers if denied their usual spots. F.E.A.R.

Philosophizer
01/09/2017, 7:33 PM
Bohs playing some scintilating stuff. Akinade, Corcoran, sule, ward, kavanagh, pender all playing lovely attacking football at the moment.

NeverFeltBetter
01/09/2017, 7:40 PM
Limerick miss a good few chances, Harps score off a goalie error, harps defender sent off after conceding a penalty, Tosi hits the post.

Gonna need a minor miracle to break down Harps in the second. Conversion rate is god awful at the club.

El-Pietro
01/09/2017, 7:43 PM
This is pathetic.

nigel-harps1954
01/09/2017, 7:49 PM
Limerick miss a good few chances, Harps score off a goalie error, harps defender sent off after conceding a penalty, Tosi hits the post.

Gonna need a minor miracle to break down Harps in the second. Conversion rate is god awful at the club.

I'm happy enough with that to be honest.

nigel-harps1954
01/09/2017, 8:21 PM
I'm happy enough with that to be honest.

I'm happier now.

Philosophizer
01/09/2017, 8:42 PM
Total game of 2 halves at Dalyer. Bohs were shocking in the 2nd half and Galway totally dominated. Bohs couldn't string 2 passes together after playing galway off the park in the 1st half. They're maddeningly inconsistent.

Longfordian
01/09/2017, 8:48 PM
Town dispatch Cabo 2-0. First win away to them if I recall correctly. Fenn has been doing a great job since he took over.

Sam_Heggy
01/09/2017, 8:54 PM
Massive 3 points for Harps.

Sligo in 2 weeks is going to be a huge game for both sides....

nigel-harps1954
01/09/2017, 9:10 PM
Just had a look at the First Division table. That could yet go right down to the last game of the season, which so happens to be Cobh v Waterford.

A huge night for Harps though. What a game it's going to be in Finn Park on Saturday week against Sligo.

White Horse
01/09/2017, 9:30 PM
Decent game in Oriel until the penalty and the sending off. Two teams playing the ball well.

The sending off changed all that. Whatever about the penalty decision, why was the player sent off? He wasn't the last man, as far as I saw. Was it dissent?

Dundalk could, and should, have scored 10 after that. Pats crumbled.

sbgawa
01/09/2017, 9:53 PM
Good win for Rovers well deserved on the night. Great win for harps ...sqeeky bum time at the bottom.

gufcfan
01/09/2017, 9:55 PM
Just had a look at the First Division table. That could yet go right down to the last game of the season, which so happens to be Cobh v Waterford.

Nah, my money is on Waterford clinching it in the next game v Wexford.

White Horse
01/09/2017, 9:56 PM
Good win for Rovers well deserved on the night. Great win for harps ...sqeeky bum time at the bottom.

Were Rovers very good or is this new Cork side bang average?

Kingswood Rover
01/09/2017, 9:58 PM
Great win for the Rovers is something special starting with this team? 1st team in a few seasons that genuinely excites and gives ****. MASSIVE OWN GOAL FROM THE CLUB THOUGH CLOSING PARTS OF THE EAST STAND WHERE THERE HAVE NEVER BEEN FLARES AND MOVING EVERYONE FROM THOSE SECTIONS INTO THE SECTIONS WHERE THE FLARES ARE LET OFF, THE MIND BOGGLES. THE REASON YEP YOU GUESSED IT FLARES.

sbgawa
01/09/2017, 10:08 PM
What would you prefer the club do nothing and have the stand closed by the FAI? The club did the minimum to be seen to be making an effort. Massive inconvenience to fans to ask them to move 20 seats along ?? Great win that's all that matters

RathfarnhamHoop
01/09/2017, 10:21 PM
Great win for the Rovers is something special starting with this team? 1st team in a few seasons that genuinely excites and gives ****. MASSIVE OWN GOAL FROM THE CLUB THOUGH CLOSING PARTS OF THE EAST STAND WHERE THERE HAVE NEVER BEEN FLARES AND MOVING EVERYONE FROM THOSE SECTIONS INTO THE SECTIONS WHERE THE FLARES ARE LET OFF, THE MIND BOGGLES. THE REASON YEP YOU GUESSED IT FLARES.

I don't think the flares are the problem they're trying to solve with this solution its probably more about the pitch invasions, I'd guess the thinking is that by closing off the sides you get everyone in a smaller area so its easier to keep people off the pitch since you've only to cover 50/60 meters instead of 90/100

Kingswood Rover
01/09/2017, 10:35 PM
Not sure it was the Fai who ordered this TBH, what i would like is not to sanctioned for something that has never happened where i or my friends support the team from and yes you are right it was brill tonight. A number of us made these points to the Sergent in charge and chief steward and they agreed it was a nonsensical way to deal with the issues flagged for the closure on the club website
Flares are also regularly let off in the away section which is actually at the end of the stand yet that remained unrestricted/open.
Put a robust fence 4 foot proud of the wall down the middle 2 or 3 sections of the stand where the pitch is regularly encroached, search people going in for flares and steward the game properly. Explain to me how closing the 2 ends of the east stand solves, pitch encroachment, flares and fans standing in stairwells because i must be missing something

Kingswood Rover
01/09/2017, 10:40 PM
I don't think the flares are the problem they're trying to solve with this solution its probably more about the pitch invasions, I'd guess the thinking is that by closing off the sides you get everyone in a smaller area so its easier to keep people off the pitch since you've only to cover 50/60 meters instead of 90/100
No one gets on the pitch from the end sections though and what happens when a 5 k crowd is expected or has the ground capacity now been reduced to reflect these new arrangements.

sbgawa
01/09/2017, 10:42 PM
I guess if a capacity crowd is expected the club can open those sections again as they could afford more stewards to go the lengt of the pitch .

Kingswood Rover
01/09/2017, 10:52 PM
I guess if a capacity crowd is expected the club can open those sections again as they could afford more stewards to go the lengt of the pitch .
Be great to get a capacity crowd do not think we will see it this season maybe next year if the team stays together ah but seriously the club named the issues in their website article how does the solution they implemented tonight solve the issues. Getting Croly or Fenlon back would sort this, no excitement so reduced instances of pitch encroachments, reduced attendences, less likely to be flares let off,,,,ah yiz get the picture...i am off to me cot, still luv ya Rovers.

sbgawa
01/09/2017, 11:26 PM
Great night ! :)
Can't wait for next season....cups will keep it interesting with the league over......Cork can't possibly lose....can they......hopefully not

Mr A
01/09/2017, 11:36 PM
Probably the weirdest game I ever witnessed.

1st half Harps were like "There is no way you can match our footballing incompetence!"
Once Harps scored Limerick were like "Hold my drink".

osarusan
01/09/2017, 11:39 PM
Atrocious second half in Limerick.

Harps came to defend deep and hit us on the break, and it worked for them. They nicked a goal and we wasted our chance to get back into it. The first half was ok, but the second was agony. Harps put 10 men behind the ball and we hadn't the slightest idea of how to break them down. We just passed back and forth aimlessly in front of them, causing them no problems at all. In keystone cops fashion, they got another when our defenders and keeper waited for each other to do something, and their striker just nipped in to nick the ball and tap into an empty net.

Awful awful stuff.

Yossarian
02/09/2017, 7:12 AM
Great performance by Dundalk last night. Michael Duffy has really come good the last few weeks. We would have won without the penalty and sending off. Jim McKell had another of his auditions as the new Buttimer. I don't think it was a penalty and I've no idea why he sent off Bermingham. That goal and then a second before half time just killed Pats. Any word on Barry Murphy? He looked in a bad way when he was injured.
It's a pity that we are so far behind Cork as we are playing some great stuff at the moment but if we play like that in the cups I think it'll be hard for any of the teams left to beat us.

placid casual
02/09/2017, 7:15 AM
Great win for Rovers last night, against a team who offer no threat up front.
Grace looks our best defender already, 17yr old Bolger was in his element in the middle of the pitch, and Clarke is just a beautiful diamond of a player.
Keep this going, and Rovers will take home some silverware this season.

Dalymountrower
02/09/2017, 7:15 AM
Galway were excellent for last 20 mins last night.Enough chances to win it.Bohs should have been out of sight after a decent first half.
Both sides guilty of poor finishing.
Galway plus a striker would be comfortably mid table.
Bohs have had a rerrible 4 weeks and don't look fit.Will scrape away until end of the season and just about stay up.
Apparently a league 2 Clun has made an offer for Fuade Sole.

sbgawa
02/09/2017, 8:04 AM
Great win for Rovers last night, against a team who offer no threat up front.
Grace looks our best defender already, 17yr old Bolger was in his element in the middle of the pitch, and Clarke is just a beautiful diamond of a player.
Keep this going, and Rovers will take home some silverware this season.

Couldn't agree more, can you imagine how good Bolger will be if he is still here in 2 or 3 years

White Horse
02/09/2017, 8:29 AM
Great performance by Dundalk last night. Michael Duffy has really come good the last few weeks. We would have won without the penalty and sending off. Jim McKell had another of his auditions as the new Buttimer. I don't think it was a penalty and I've no idea why he sent off Bermingham. That goal and then a second before half time just killed Pats. Any word on Barry Murphy? He looked in a bad way when he was injured.
It's a pity that we are so far behind Cork as we are playing some great stuff at the moment but if we play like that in the cups I think it'll be hard for any of the teams left to beat us.

Murphy looked in serious pain. He rushed out to close down McMillan who lofted the ball over him. There must have been contact afterwards, it looked like his arm or shoulder was injured.

I couldn't tell if it was a penalty. A little ball was played behind the defender to McMillan and just before he got his shot off, he fell backwards as if he was pulled back. The ref wasn't going to give it but the linesman did.

The thing that really damaged Pats was the sending off in the aftermath. What was that all about?

Ezeikial
02/09/2017, 9:18 AM
The thing that really damaged Pats was the sending off in the aftermath. What was that all about?

According to Gavin McLaughlin's match report the penalty was awarded against Lee Desmond, so it is reasonable to assume that Ian Birmingham was red carded for something he said.

Deeply ironic if Jim McKell was so offended by the language used, when he was accused of using "unprofessional language" by Sean Hoare on his last farcical performance in Oriel Park when awarding two dubious penalties to Bray.

pineapple stu
02/09/2017, 9:49 AM
A straight red for something said would be quite unusual, no?

Was there any bit of shoving or something?

In other news - a win! Our first in four months not against Athlone (throwing games/utter ****e), Waterford (bit weird) and Charlton (even weirder)

Georgie Kelly missed a penalty and hit the bar with the rebound when scoring would have equalled our goals-in-a-season record (15)

TonyD
02/09/2017, 9:51 AM
Shocking result for Pats. Even down to 10 men you shouldn't be shipping six goals. We've had a decent run up to last night, so I'm hoping we can get ourselves back on track and do enough to stay up. Whether there is enough character in this squad is the worry.

White Horse
02/09/2017, 10:00 AM
Shocking result for Pats. Even down to 10 men you shouldn't be shipping six goals. We've had a decent run up to last night, so I'm hoping we can get ourselves back on track and do enough to stay up. Whether there is enough character in this squad is the worry.

Bizarre changes by Pats in the second half though. I couldn't keep up with the numerous changes Buckley made to the formation. It is a wonder it was only six goals.

I would have expected Buckley to go for damage limitation the second half, as goal difference may be vital. If ever there was a half to park the bus, that was it.

By the way, I thought Pats were playing good stuff until the penalty. They were struggling with Dundalk's width and that would have only got worse as defenders tired. However, Pats looked dangerous from set pieces and on the break.

AlanOB
02/09/2017, 10:13 AM
Analysis of Limerick/Harps: http://bit.ly/2vTtROv

D24Saint
02/09/2017, 10:24 AM
Tough run in now hitting bad form at the wrong time.

White Horse
02/09/2017, 12:03 PM
Just saw a replay of the penalty incident on the RTE player. Looks stonewall, I'm not sure why McKell didn't give it straight away.

Actually, I do know why. He's shyte.

patrickccfc
02/09/2017, 12:21 PM
I'm convinced we are waiting to play dundalk to win the league. Poor from us last night though. Never really kicked on after pulling one back. God I just want to get this over the line

ayeboy
02/09/2017, 1:15 PM
Really enjoyed the limericks commentary on the game last night. Harps so lucky to get the 3 pts but we need a bit of luck to go our way

oriel
02/09/2017, 1:40 PM
Dundalk were excellent last night, especially in the second half, we looked like scoring at almost every attack, great quality on the wing particularly by Duffy on the left and finally Connolly on the right who has taken time to blend in, nice finish too with his first goal for the club.

I honestly think if Cork had even 7 points less they would be in real danger of blowing the league, the have enough points though to win it, but no doubt who is finishing the season in the better form.

Pats were actually ok for the first half hour or so, but they are right back in trouble now, and they certainly didn't need to add 6 goals to their deficit.