PDA

View Full Version : Debt-free Shelbourne now seeking new investment!

Philosophizer
25/08/2017, 10:51 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/national-league/shelbourne-looking-to-attract-investment-after-clearing-debts-1.3197478

This smacks of almost everything that's been wrong with our league for decades - clubs trying to build the roof before they've even laid the foundations...

They've only been debt-free for 2 minutes and already they're talking about seeking investment to get back into Europe!!

You'd think that their first priority would be to rebuild bridges with their disillusioned fanbase who no longer attend games. Or maybe make some minor improvements to the ground, which is in a woeful state of disrepair. I know the plan is to eventually more to Dalyer but this is Ireland that will be at least 4-5 years away. I went to a game in Tolka against Cobh a couple of years ago and the place was a disgrace. The seats were filthy, the toilet was filthy, the whole main stand just had a very decrepit and unsafe feeling. I moved to the newest stand behind the goal at half time, but the windows at the side were so dirty i couldn't see the play down one side of the pitch so i had to move again. Or maybe they could try to re-connect with their local community, maybe hire a community development officer. Or invest in training facilities or an underage academy. But no, they wanna chase the gravy train or Europe. I hope they get exactly what they deserve.

nigel-harps1954
25/08/2017, 11:40 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/38/8e/4c/388e4ca154230a6d9da2e8bde4d399b3--funny-joke-quotes-funny-sayings.jpg

Kingdom
25/08/2017, 11:42 AM
I know I'm not one of the league's hardcore, but that read like a horror-show. I know it's supposed to be a positive piece, but it doesn't come across that way at all.

bennocelt
25/08/2017, 1:32 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/national-league/shelbourne-looking-to-attract-investment-after-clearing-debts-1.3197478

You'd think that their first priority would be to rebuild bridges with their disillusioned fanbase who no longer attend games. Or maybe make some minor improvements to the ground, which is in a woeful state of disrepair. I know the plan is to eventually more to Dalyer but this is Ireland that will be at least 4-5 years away. I went to a game in Tolka against Cobh a couple of years ago and the place was a disgrace. The seats were filthy, the toilet was filthy, the whole main stand just had a very decrepit and unsafe feeling. I moved to the newest stand behind the goal at half time, but the windows at the side were so dirty i couldn't see the play down one side of the pitch so i had to move again. Or maybe they could try to re-connect with their local community, maybe hire a community development officer. Or invest in training facilities or an underage academy. But no, they wanna chase the gravy train or Europe. I hope they get exactly what they deserve.

And worse, the pints in the bar are awful too

total hoofball
25/08/2017, 10:43 PM
I can't see many sane people investing their cash into a debt-free Shels with the uncertain background of the proposed Dublin City Council/FAI Dalymount Park move & re-development that has no proper funding whatsoever earmarked