PDA

View Full Version : BBC One Panorama program

AmenToThat
27/02/2005, 11:58 PM
I found the use of the Irish national anthem and Boys of the old Brigade to imply secterianism a real cheap shot!
Either that or the shows researchers simply didnt do their job properly!
I Know these songs are sung to wind the Rangers fans up but that doesnt make them secterian in nature or content.
Well maybe they are, but in that case surely 'god save the queen' and 'flower of scotland' should be considered secterian and castigated publically also?
I tried to make an offical complaint to the BBC but for some reason my details were not processed.................................. :rolleyes:

Maybe im starting to see conspiracies everywhere ! :D

Green Tribe
28/02/2005, 12:01 AM
i never got to watch the full programme, i fell asleep and then got interrupted by visitors , maybe it will be repeated during the week at night, probably better if i did not see it, would annoy me i think

AmenToThat
28/02/2005, 12:51 AM
Im not for a second going to say that there arent bigots within the Celtic support.
Iv been at Parkhead to many time to know Id be telling lies.
My problem with it was the fact that the program was so **** poorly researched!

In deeming the soldiers song and boys of the old brigade as being secterian songs they are doing the image of Ireland no good in Britian (Im thinking of Irish people who live in Britain).

http://www.etims.net/index.php

A good reply from a Celtic fan to the show IMHO.
BTW pay particular attention to the name of the web site when thinking about the Panorama program ;)

stickyjoe
28/02/2005, 8:15 AM
anybody know if and when panorama is repeated?

drinkfeckarse
28/02/2005, 9:10 AM
I thought it gave a good insight to the underlying hatred there is between opposing fans espeically in Glasgow and the West of Scotland. All totally unnecessary really.

Didn't like the way they viewed our National Anthem as offensive though, I've never for one second understood the reasoning for Rangers fans hating it other than hating it because it's the " Fenian" anthem which says it all really.....

What about the march in rememberance of Bloody Sunday :eek: With all due respect, what Glasgow has got to do with that is beyond me :confused: and until the likes of that and Orange marches are cut out over here then I can't see a change in peoples attitudes. :(

drinkfeckarse
28/02/2005, 9:13 AM
Thought Brian Quinn cam across well btw, Murray could probably have given a little more I thought but overall not bad. He seemed to get flustered as well as taking the hump though when asked if he was ashamed of the Rangers fans singing offensive songs.

Green Tribe
28/02/2005, 10:55 AM
will check it out, usually panorama is repeated late on bbc1 during the week, will post and let know :)

Junior
28/02/2005, 11:27 AM
Poorly researched, 'they are as bad as each other' drivel, a few A&E scenes to spice it up. As previously seen on other such 'ground breaking' journalism.

In a word ****e.

joey B
28/02/2005, 11:31 AM
I thought the name of the program was a bit stupid, it's hardly secret

galwaygirl
28/02/2005, 11:39 AM

Just checked it there on the BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/whatson/search/advance_search.cgi?keyword=Panorama

[I]Panorama Fri 4 Mar, 02:25 - 03:05
BBC One
Scotland's Secret Shame: Panorama investigates the tribal loyalties, often based on religious differences, that divide fans of the two biggest Scottish football clubs, Rangers and Celtic.

There's also a section here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/4299303.stm

where you can send in your comments on the show

Green Tribe
28/02/2005, 11:44 AM
Just checked it there on the BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/whatson/search/advance_search.cgi?keyword=Panorama

[I]Panorama Fri 4 Mar, 02:25 - 03:05
BBC One
Scotland's Secret Shame: Panorama investigates the tribal loyalties, often based on religious differences, that divide fans of the two biggest Scottish football clubs, Rangers and Celtic.

There's also a section here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/4299303.stm

where you can send in your comments on the show
cheers, beat me to it!!!! :D

Bald Student
28/02/2005, 11:44 AM
I found the use of the Irish national anthem and Boys of the old Brigade to imply secterianism a real cheap shot! Me too, The Sash shouldn't have been singled out either.

anto1208
01/03/2005, 12:50 PM
i cant see what either are going on about rangers are a scotish team not english ,celtic are a scotish team not irish , why they bring religon into it ive no idea , i dont think you will see many of these fans in mass on a sunday morning !!.

crc
01/03/2005, 1:17 PM
just started watching it on the net. what's this about the conflict "between Protestant Ulster and Catholic Ireland" - the Beeb seems to imply that these are not the same place! :confused:

Éanna
01/03/2005, 1:30 PM
If you didn't like the 'tangent' this thread went on after,why not move whole thing to 'Off Topic'? Just a thought.......
because it was a thread about football and it went wildly off-topic. its not the first time either.

Junior
01/03/2005, 2:11 PM
because it was a thread about football and it went wildly off-topic. its not the first time either.

It was a thread about a recently aired tv programme. The thread is still discussing the programme or elements of its content. or am i missing something??

The powers gone to yer head Eanna :D

Pat O' Banton
01/03/2005, 4:18 PM
Poorly researched, 'they are as bad as each other' drivel, a few A&E scenes to spice it up. As previously seen on other such 'ground breaking' journalism.

In a word ****e.

Extremely disappointing, the 'representative' Celtic fan was a 16 year old ned in Barlinie (in fairness the same for Rangers.) Hardly represenative.
The bit about words that were insulting was nothing short of farcial; lets get this staight; 'fenian' is not an insult, 'fenian b*stard' is. 'Tim' is a reference that Celtic fans use themselves, sadly they didn't even bother to find out that the insulting reference is 'taig.'
Also the complete failure (again) to look at the problems in Scottish football in general - the producers should have tried spending an afternoon in the mainstand at Tynecastle to see Hearts fans in action or indeed Airdire - smacks of ill informed laziness.