PDA

View Full Version : Big Red Bench 27/02/2005

Gary
27/02/2005, 6:48 PM
Post your opinions here of this evenings show, which had live interviews with George O Callaghan, Colin O Brien, and a recordred interview with Dolan.

Personally, I felt that the 2 players sounded very bad, and petty. From what they were saying, you'd swear they never got to have a hot shower after training. Thery just kept rehashing the same 2 lines over and over, and didnt sound too convincing.

As for Dolans short but sweet interview, I felt it was just his usual bluff, where he answered nothing but alluded to much.

wws
27/02/2005, 6:57 PM
gary any chance of a brief synopsis?

patsh
27/02/2005, 7:05 PM
Colin mention "passion" and "progression". I'm trying to think who that person is who constantly uses those words....... :rolleyes:

I thought the 2 players were poor enough. To be honest, it sounded to me like the two of them were having a little whinge. George again mentioned about equipment, but surely this is Dolan's area of responsibility?
Is it really Brian Lennox's job to make sure that kit and balls are there for training sessions?
Maybe I'm being too harsh on the players and Dolan, and I actually do want EVERYTHING to be the best it can be for them, but is the right guy getting the blame here?
Brain Lennox can get every training facility under the sun, but isn't it up to Dolan to decide what is good or bad, and shouldn't he be sorting a lot of this out if he is the one who is not happy?
I'm sure there are plenty who will correct me, but while the chairman has to be the one to provide the money and give as much assistance as he possibly can, isn't the Manager the person who oversees training, equipment and gear?
If he is, he simply can't pass the buck and say "I'm frustrated", he must play the most active role in sorting things out.

Of course we got another earful of Dolan's boll*xology with his bullsh*t about rugger and how wonderful it all is. I'm sick of this kind of sh*te coming out of Dolan when he is asked a straightforward and important question.

And before anyone says anything, I do want Dolan as Manager of this club, I think he has done a great job so far, but his endless bullsh*t is really wearing me down.

wws
27/02/2005, 7:17 PM
I dont think this row is about training facilities at all - I think that is the public way it has sufaced but this is obviously about something more fundamental in the relationship between the manager and the owner - for my money its about possibly dolan wanting more cash - for players - understandable from his point of view - and Lennox holding firm against the "speculate to accumulate" strategy of shels and drogs - and for that matter the favoured strategy of Dolan at Pats. That is a legitmate stance by Lennox in my view - and a stratagy that will do CCFC better long term - they came within a point of winning the league within budget why change that now to chase a club who are 1 euro defeat away from massive financial catastrophe (shels)

IMO - its all about this matter - its come to a head now - Dolan knows he's finished and has used the players and the semi bogus "facilities" issue in a last gasp bid to unseat Lennox and remain in situ - he looks gone. I hope Lennox maintains his resolve and faces him down - though from the last comment in the audio interview he sounds like he's had enough of owning cork city fc - in the circumstances I can understand the exasperation!

pete
27/02/2005, 7:47 PM
I just listened to the interviews on the official site & seems like neither Dan Murray or Lennox going to say anything that would push the issue past point of no return.

Ball seems to be on Dolans pitch now. His reaction will decide his fate.

The only clubs spending their way to success are shels & drogs. Bohs have trimmed back but probably one season way from further trimming.

Lennox is a canny Chairman & i have confidence he'll make the correct decision.

Troy.McClure
27/02/2005, 8:58 PM
George again mentioned about equipment, but surely this is Dolan's area of responsibility?
Is it really Brian Lennox's job to make sure that kit and balls are there for training sessions?

Just thinking about it, wouldnt all this really be Gunther Murphys job (or is he too busy running the pub in Munich? :p ) As the Director of Football at the club shouldnt he be the one looking at the training facilities (with Dolan). He has coaching and management experience himself so he should know what is involved, unlike Lennox who desides what is affordable or not and wouldnt have the same knowledge of football.

Its hard to know whats really going on and what happened between Lennox, Dolan and the players, but Lennox was here before the lot of them and hopefully he'll be here after.

I can only see one winner between Lennox and Dolan.

Éanna
27/02/2005, 10:23 PM
I dont think this row is about training facilities at all - I think that is the public way it has sufaced but this is obviously about something more fundamental in the relationship between the manager and the owner - for my money its about possibly dolan wanting more cash - for players - understandable from his point of view - and Lennox holding firm against the "speculate to accumulate" strategy of shels and drogs - and for that matter the favoured strategy of Dolan at Pats. That is a legitmate stance by Lennox in my view - and a stratagy that will do CCFC better long term - they came within a point of winning the league within budget why change that now to chase a club who are 1 euro defeat away from massive financial catastrophe (shels)
agreed.

Lennox is a canny Chairman & i have confidence he'll make the correct decision.
Hear hear.

adamd164
28/02/2005, 12:54 PM
I laughed when a text was read out saying "I'm disappointed with Colin particularly.....I wouldn't expect sense from Georgie".

They just kept on saying "we want better equipment and a better pitch," but my question is: Where's the money going to come from?

I'm fully behind Brian Lennox for the record.

Éanna
28/02/2005, 12:59 PM
I They just kept on saying "we want better equipment and a better pitch," but my question is: Where's the money going to come from?
thats what it boils down to

harry crumb
28/02/2005, 1:27 PM
we have at least €30,000 more this year because of the Setanta Cup. We also won the fair play award which is an extra €5000.

liamon
28/02/2005, 4:35 PM
we have at least €30,000 more this year because of the Setanta Cup. We also won the fair play award which is an extra €5000.
And 35,000 should be plenty if we want to buy a site and develop training facilities?
A decent size site in the greater Cork area will cost a lot more than that.
35k is nothing.
And I'm sure the priority for supporters will include a new centre half, maybe a midfielder, etc. Will 35k pay for these too? Including wages, overheads, etc.
Lennox is doing a fine job, with limited funds.
why can't people see that?

harry crumb
28/02/2005, 5:11 PM
anti dub asked Where's the money going to come from?

€35,000 is a lot of money.

thecorner
28/02/2005, 5:23 PM
thought the lads came across very well.

FFS they arent looking for lilleshall(spell?). they are trainig during the day while the kids are at school, cant even have a shower afterwards...

bringing CCFC to a new level of professionalism

dolans answer bout been sacked was class also :D

Éanna
28/02/2005, 7:47 PM
dolans answer bout been sacked was class also :D
it was rude, childish and ignorant. I lost a lot of respect for him when I heard that.

thecorner
28/02/2005, 9:10 PM
it was rude, childish and ignorant. I lost a lot of respect for him when I heard that.

no it wasnt rude, childish and ignorant. they were there to talk about the facilities,not dolans job

but then again eanna u never had any respect for any managers from what i can remember

Gary
28/02/2005, 9:37 PM
Spillane was on Cork Talks Back a while ago on Red FM.

He felt Dolans comment yesterday was boorish, rude, and very unprofessional, a simple no comment would have been alot more appropriate rather than ridiculing the entire situation.

That said, Dolans tact has never been a strong point, has it? ;) :p

pete
28/02/2005, 10:16 PM
Just listened Dolan interview & hard to know what level of involvement he has had.

He definitely sailing close to the wind in some little comments about organisation of the club. If he wants to take on Lennox then theres only going to be one winner & it won't be Dolan. Does Dolan want to be sacked?

thecorner
28/02/2005, 11:55 PM
Spillane was on Cork Talks Back a while ago on Red FM.

He felt Dolans comment yesterday was boorish, rude, and very unprofessional, a simple no comment would have been alot more appropriate rather than ridiculing the entire situation.

since when did people start listening to spillage :D

Éanna
01/03/2005, 1:06 PM
no it wasnt rude, childish and ignorant. they were there to talk about the facilities,not dolans job
Dolan's job has been a topic of debate. He wasn't there to talk about training facilities, he was there to talk about what has gone on over the last few days, and his job is part of that.

but then again eanna u never had any respect for any managers from what i can remember
Not true at all. I was a big fan of Dave Barry's, he stepped aside at the right time too IMO. I supported Derek Mountfield right to the end, even when pretty much everyone was against him. As for Gunther, I've always said that he's a good coach, just not a good manager. he was the only manager I was ever against at CCFC. I have enormous respect for Pat Dolan as a manager, but i am very angry about the way he has behaved in the last few days. That doesn't mean i'm out to get him, or that I don't respect his ability.

Éanna
01/03/2005, 1:07 PM
If he wants to take on Lennox then theres only going to be one winner & it won't be Dolan. Does Dolan want to be sacked?
spot on. I certainly don't think Dolan would quit, its not his style.

thecorner
01/03/2005, 5:30 PM
I lost a lot of respect for him when I heard that.

I have enormous respect for Pat Dolan as a manager,

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Éanna
01/03/2005, 7:01 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
I respect him as a manager, his record speaks for itself. As a person, I lost a lot of respect for him over his behaviour.