PDA

View Full Version : Georgia V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 2 September 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

IsMiseSean
13/08/2017, 9:57 PM
Provisional squad being announced tomorrow afternoon
@FAIreland (https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/896780674933325824)

I'm not really expecting any surprises.
Maybe Cillian Sheridan will finally get in ahead of Kevin Doyle.
Hopefully Liam Kelly will be involved.
Rob Elliot might get back in.

Olé Olé
13/08/2017, 10:07 PM
It will be something else if Maguire gets in after one Championship appearance though!

No surprises expected either. Don't expect Sheridan and hope and expect Kelly.

CraftyToePoke
13/08/2017, 10:17 PM
Rice ? After his Prem app today maybe. It did wonders for Long after all.

Kingdom
14/08/2017, 12:02 PM
I said the following in a text group that I'm part of.

ONeill really cant name Maguire for this squad as it will completely negate O'Neills credibility considering Maguire has only been there 3 weeks.

Kingdom
14/08/2017, 12:08 PM
Would hope to see Doherty Cunningham Kelly and OKane all included.

Philly
14/08/2017, 12:52 PM
Cunningham and Maguire called up apparently

backstothewall
14/08/2017, 12:53 PM

Provisional squad named

backstothewall
14/08/2017, 12:56 PM
If we can just avoid injuries we should have our best 11 available (excluding Coleman obviously)

Glad to see Cunningham and Maguire get the call.

Kingdom
14/08/2017, 12:58 PM
Maguire is a completely different player to the one he was in May.

colonelwest
14/08/2017, 1:13 PM
Great to see the magic plane is still in working order! ;) Joking aside well deserved and same for Matt Doherty and then Greg Cunningham getting back in after years out in the cold, playing great for Preston the last year or so. Boyle must be injured, didn't even make the bench for Preston at the weekend?

Olé Olé
14/08/2017, 1:18 PM
There will be uproar amongst die-hard LOI fans. And rightly so, I think. Delighted for him though. And Cunningham too.

Cunningham and Doherty unlikely to get their chance though with Ward doing well. Not for competitive matches.

Kingdom
14/08/2017, 2:03 PM

Randolph, Westwood, Elliot;

Christie, Doherty, Duffy, Clark, Keogh, Egan, Cunningham, Ward;

McGeady, McClean, Whelan, Hendrick, Brady, Kelly, Arter, O'Kane, Hoolahan;

Walters, Long, Murphy, Maguire;

There isn't one of that midfield if utilised properly that I'd be disappointed with.

Diggs246
14/08/2017, 4:00 PM
No complaints, maybe Declan Rice should be in there. but its not a bad squad at all

geysir
14/08/2017, 10:53 PM
Maguire is a completely different player to the one he was in May.
He is most probably just being named in the provisional squad as a recognition of his step up and a general boost to his confidence, not that the langer blow-in was short of some.

swinfordfc
15/08/2017, 10:53 AM
What you ye think of Hogan been call up and being put straight into the final panel, even though he's done nothing with Villa!

Olé Olé
15/08/2017, 11:06 AM
What you ye think of Hogan been call up and being put straight into the final panel, even though he's done nothing with Villa!

That's going on the basis of half a season. We have plenty strikers that can point to half a season of inactivity or poor form. What about the form previous to January 2017? The form which saw him shooting the lights out in the Championship for Brentford?

DeLorean
15/08/2017, 11:06 AM
His Villa stint has been fairly stop-start so far. We'll see what he does over the next couple of weeks first I suppose.

Kingdom
15/08/2017, 11:19 AM
That's going on the basis of half a season. We have plenty strikers that can point to half a season of inactivity or poor form. What about the form previous to January 2017? The form which saw him shooting the lights out in the Championship for Brentford?

This is actually a salient point, and ironic considering how our numbers at the top level have in theory been shrinking over the past 2 decades.

We've never really had the strength in depth whereby a manager is forced to pick a squad of players based on form, current form, rather than history in the jersey. As I looked at the squad of midfielders listed by the FAI in the provisional squad, ONeill is now coming to a stage where he will have to start picking players on form given the similar levels of ability amongst them.

Olé Olé
15/08/2017, 12:08 PM
This is actually a salient point, and ironic considering how our numbers at the top level have in theory been shrinking over the past 2 decades.

We've never really had the strength in depth whereby a manager is forced to pick a squad of players based on form, current form, rather than history in the jersey. As I looked at the squad of midfielders listed by the FAI in the provisional squad, ONeill is now coming to a stage where he will have to start picking players on form given the similar levels of ability amongst them.

Excellent point. I don't think we have that depth up front, hence why out of form strikers can be picked. But in defence and midfield we actually do have a lot of players that can be picked based on form. Cunningham or Doherty? McShane or Pearce? O' Dowda or Pilkington? Meyler or Quinn? They are fairly rough examples but the point stands. We have a depth of options in the Championship. Doherty (think he's back to RB recently though), Cunningham and Stevens all Championship starters. O'Connor and Williams coming behind them. Lots of LB options of a similar level.

DeLorean
15/08/2017, 12:25 PM
ONeill really cant name Maguire for this squad as it will completely negate O'Neills credibility considering Maguire has only been there 3 weeks.

I can't really find fault with O'Neill's explanation of the situation to be honest. That's not to say I wouldn't called him up earlier, but the timing wasn't great in terms of his club situation previously either.

tetsujin1979
15/08/2017, 3:55 PM
Has Hogan been added to the squad, or just confirmed his allegiance?

Philly
15/08/2017, 4:22 PM

He has no passport as of yet. I would not be suprised if he was called up to the final squad if it arrives in time - which would probably be at the expense of Maguire. That will make for a fun thread...

IsMiseSean
15/08/2017, 4:23 PM

Waiting on a birth cert. He's not expected to make it for these games. Moldova & Wales more likely.

Fixer82
16/08/2017, 11:43 AM
I think O'Neill will go with, (lack of) injuries permitting:

Randolph
Christie Clark Duffy Ward
Walters Whelan McCarthy Brady McClean Murphy

IsMiseSean
16/08/2017, 12:37 PM
Randolph

We're going to struggle for goals in a 4-6-0 formation.

liamoo11
16/08/2017, 12:37 PM
I think O'Neill will go with, (lack of) injuries permitting:

Randolph

If McCarthy is fit can't see whelan starting. Don't see why Hendrick would be dropped now if he is starting at burnley as he is especially for an away game where he tends to be more comfortable but he does need to get his work rate back up. Can't see Murphy starting away from home if long is fit think we will need that pace to keep Georgia honest to stop them playing a very high line and squeezing us and dominating the ball in our half. I think Brady offers us more at left back gets on the ball much easier he really struggled to have any impact against Austria in a midfield role at left full he can use his delivery into the box regularly which is when we look dangerous and ward does not offer this. Arter to make up the 3 in midfield.Mcgeady wes and Murphy off the bench to change things.

DeLorean
16/08/2017, 12:53 PM
It seems unlikely McCarthy will be match-fit at this stage, although Everton do have two European games as well as their two PL games between now and then, so hopefully he will see some game time.

I can't see Hendrick being dropped either, nor would I want him to be.

Fixer82
16/08/2017, 1:01 PM
I knew I forgot someone.
Of course Hendrick will play. Hopefully at the expense of Whelan who is on the decline it seems.
I think McClean will play advanced role as Ward is playing well and Brady won't be dropped

Kingdom
16/08/2017, 3:00 PM
-------------Elliot

Christie Duffy Clark Ward

---- Arter Whelan Brady
-Hendrick --------- McClean
------------Walters

with Long for McClean, McGeady for Hendrick and Murphy for Walters as the evening progresses.

samhaydenjr
23/08/2017, 2:36 AM
We're going to struggle for goals in a 4-6-0 formation.

Well most of our goals nowadays seem to be coming from midfield already, so might as well run with it :D

OwlsFan
23/08/2017, 9:47 AM
-------------Elliot

Christie Duffy Clark Ward

---- Arter Whelan Brady
-Hendrick --------- McClean
------------Walters

with Long for McClean, McGeady for Hendrick and Murphy for Walters as the evening progresses.

Why Elliot ahead of Randolph and Westwood, other than he's playing in the EPL, albeit in a poor side which is letting in goals?

Diggs246
23/08/2017, 11:05 AM
I actually think he should drop Hendricks, might be the kick in teh hole that he needs

KrisLetang
23/08/2017, 5:00 PM
Been flying all over scouting Georgia these last few weeks. They love Jano Ananidze, the Spartak ace who many are tipping to score a few against Ireland. Another young player to watch is definitely Jaba Jighauri, who is a huge talent that many tip to have sort of a coming out party VS the Irish. According to his wiki page, he was named after Jabba the Hutt, by his folks, who are huge Star Wars fans.
Ucha Lobjanidze is coming to the end of a fine career anchoring the vast Georgia Defense. He would love nothing more than to go out with a win at home over the Ireland squad.

They do have some interesting action in net, as reserve keepers Giorgi Makaridze and Roin Kvaskhvadze continue to heap enormous pressure on incumbent legend Giorgi Loria with their fine play.

Otar Kakabadze is a 22 year old stud that Georgian management think can develop into a powerhouse at right back. He is currently plying his trade at Spanish side Gimnastic after being loaned out to legendary Danish Superliga club Esbjerg fB last January. At 6'2", he is taller than most Irish players, and for that matter, Irish citizens.

I think all this could potentially be problematic for a decent, but certainly not dominant Irish side. Georgian fans also tend to light fires in the stands at home matches which could prove distracting for the Irish Lads. Stephen Hunt reported that he once was grazed in the side of his head by a bottle of Argo Dark, the most popular beer in Georgia, while playing in Tbilisi.

I'll get to Serbia next.

Diggs246
23/08/2017, 5:05 PM
"At 6'2", he is taller than most Irish players, and for that matter, Irish citizens"

I guess 6'2 is taller then most human beings. we might be 10% smaller , but we're 100% funnier

Kingdom
23/08/2017, 8:44 PM
Why Elliot ahead of Randolph and Westwood, other than he's playing in the EPL, albeit in a poor side which is letting in goals?

Oh I wouldn't pick him, I'm trying to predict what our bat-****-bonkers manager is going to do.

Paddy Garcia
23/08/2017, 8:58 PM
I think all this could potentially be problematic for a decent, but certainly not dominant Irish side. Georgian fans also tend to light fires in the stands at home matches which could prove distracting for the Irish Lads. Stephen Hunt reported that he once was grazed in the side of his head by a bottle of Argo Dark, the most popular beer in Georgia, while playing in Tbilisi.

A bottle of Argo Dark may indeed be dangerous, probably not as bad as a knife though!

DeLorean
23/08/2017, 9:54 PM
Oh I wouldn't pick him, I'm trying to predict what our bat-****-bonkers manager is going to do.

I'd say Randy is assured of his spot after doing fine against Austria and getting himself a new club. You could be spot on with the rest of the side I think, injuries permitting, especially with Shane Long seeing so little game time and James McCarthy showing no signs of recovering in time.

geysir
23/08/2017, 11:03 PM
it doesn't look good for Jon.
From the bbc report of a league cup game,
Jon Walters, received lengthy treatment for an ankle injury early on in the game and was substituted.

Lionel Ritchie
23/08/2017, 11:31 PM
I'd say Randy is assured of his spot after doing fine against Austria and getting himself a new club. You could be spot on with the rest of the side I think, injuries permitting, especially with Shane Long seeing so little game time and James McCarthy showing no signs of recovering in time.

Would love to see Leeds United make a move for Shane Long

jbyrne
24/08/2017, 8:31 AM
it doesn't look good for Jon.
From the bbc report of a league cup game,
Jon Walters, received lengthy treatment for an ankle injury early on in the game and was substituted.

think he played on for a while after the knock before being substituted just before HT. maybe not so bad

qwertyui
24/08/2017, 11:16 AM
Declan Rice had another excellent performance for West Ham last night in the cup. Tipped to start against Newcastle at the weekend in holding midfield role. Would love to see him brought in again. Confidence bound to be on the up and unusually for one of our midfield players, he looks to go and get it off the defence! English born so would like to avoid another Grealish situation by getting our claws into him early!

Diggs246
24/08/2017, 2:06 PM
Agreed call him up get him involved in training no possible harm in that

KK77
25/08/2017, 3:14 PM
Walters out of the Burnley game this weekend.

Diggs246
25/08/2017, 3:41 PM
Tits we need him

IsMiseSean
25/08/2017, 4:50 PM
Declan Rice is in the U21 squad.

mark12345
27/08/2017, 5:29 PM
Assuming Walters is fit (if he's not then it will be Shane Long starting) and Hendrick is not.
This might be a decent team to start with in Georgia.

Randolph

Arter
McClean O'Kane Brady
Hoolahan

Walters

IsMiseSean
27/08/2017, 6:58 PM
The transfer window is closing on Thursday night, unlikely we'll see much movement of squad members on the deadline day.
I'm presuming the team will be flying to Tbilisi on Thursday?

mark12345
27/08/2017, 7:46 PM
The transfer window is closing on Thursday night, unlikely we'll see much movement of squad members on the deadline day.
I'm presuming the team will be flying to Tbilisi on Thursday?

Thursday morning for the flight, I believe. Flying time for team should be 5 hours (non stop) and temperature will likely be 25 degrees celsius by game time on Saturday (8pm their time).
It puts a bit of a strain on the body. Let's hope the lads can get out of there with three points.

Stuttgart88
28/08/2017, 10:51 AM
I think we'll struggle to be honest. Not feeling good about this one. It's not just the dropped points at home, it was the inability to raise our game to the level needed when it was, well, needed.

Diggs246
28/08/2017, 11:01 AM
Does anyone know when the final squad will be announced?