PDA

View Full Version : Georgia V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 2 September 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

DeLorean
28/08/2017, 10:03 AM
I think we'll struggle to be honest. Not feeling good about this one. It's not just the dropped points at home, it was the inability to raise our game to the level needed when it was, well, needed.

Georgia have drawn with Moldova twice since they looked good early on in the group. They pass the ball around well but have been impotent in terms of getting results. Hopefully once we defend well we can nick it again. I wouldn't be expecting anything other than another slog though. What a position it would put us in for the Tuesday though if we can pull it off.

tetsujin1979
28/08/2017, 12:36 PM
if we assume Serbia beat Moldova at home, what's the best result for us in the Wales - Austria game?

IsMiseSean
28/08/2017, 12:46 PM
if we assume Serbia beat Moldova at home, what's the best result for us in the Wales - Austria game?

If we can beat Georgia then a draw in the Wales - Austria game is the best outcome.
Ourselves & Serbia would be 6 points clear of them both with only 9 points left to play for.

That's the way I'd be looking at it.

pineapple stu
28/08/2017, 1:22 PM
Every time we play Georgia, I can't shake the feeling that they're due a result against us sooner rather than later.

There must be no country out there that more hates the sight of us. We've grabbed a narrow win off them in literally every competitive game bar one.

DeLorean
28/08/2017, 1:28 PM

It really depends on how we do it both of our own matches. I would say:

If we beat Georgia & Serbia:
Austria beating Wales would be best

If we take four points or less from Georgia & Serbia:
Wales Austria drawing would be safest.

DeLorean
28/08/2017, 1:30 PM
Every time we play Georgia, I can't shake the feeling that they're due a result against us sooner rather than later.

There must be no country out there that more hates the sight of us. We've grabbed a narrow win off them in literally every competitive game bar one.

This is definitely true but I've a feeling it's the same story for Georgia against a lot of teams. They're never whipping boys but they never really accumulate many points either... except against Scotland. :)

Maybe we're due a comfortable win against them!

IsMiseSean
28/08/2017, 2:54 PM
25 man squad confirmed (http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/squad-confirmed-for-georgia-serbia-games)

McCarthy & Hendrick ruled out.
If Christie gets booked against Georgia, who's going to play RB against Serbia?

nigel-harps1954
28/08/2017, 2:56 PM
25 man squad confirmed (http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/squad-confirmed-for-georgia-serbia-games)

McCarthy & Hendrick ruled out.
If Christie gets booked against Georgia, who's going to play RB against Serbia?

David Meyler would be the assumption.

IsMiseSean
28/08/2017, 3:00 PM
David Meyler would be the assumption.

Doubt over his fitness.
Would it have killed him to keep a natural RB (Doherty) in the squad just in case.

KrisLetang
28/08/2017, 3:04 PM
McCarthy is out? No way. That guy is never hurt.

backstothewall
28/08/2017, 3:11 PM
Republic of Ireland Squad
Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Rob Elliot (Newcastle United), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday)
Defenders: Cyrus Christie (Middlesbrough), Richard Keogh (Derby County), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Kevin Long, Stephen Ward (Burnley)
Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Sunderland), Glenn Whelan, Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), David Meyler (Hull City), Robbie Brady (Burnley), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Daryl Horgan (Preston North End), Jonathan Hayes (Celtic), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City)
Forwards: Jonathan Walters (Burnley), Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Nottingham Forest), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town)

DeLorean
28/08/2017, 3:20 PM
Doubt over his fitness.
Would it have killed him to keep a natural RB (Doherty) in the squad just in case.

That does seem a bit risky. O'Neill doesn't seem to rate Doherty at all for whatever reason. So just to recap and for a bit of clarity, this is the list of players who have been dropped or have withdrawn from the initial 39-man squad:

Goalkeeper
Colin Doyle

Defenders
Alex Pearce
Paul McShane
John Egan
Greg Cunningham (injured)
Matt Doherty

Midfielders
Jeff Hendrick (injured)
James McCarthy (injured)
Stephen Quinn
Liam Kelly
Eunan O'Kane
Alan Browne

Forwards
Kevin Doyle
Sean Maguire

We have injuries to two important central midfielders, yet he drops four more central midfielders from the squad. Kelly and O'Kane, in particular, have been in good form this season and O'Kane has impressed for us also.

Surely it would have made more sense to discard a wide player or two. As much as I like O'Dowda, he very rarely starts for Bristol City anymore. I don't think he's even scored a goal since moving there. He's living a bit of a charmed life in relation to making our squads but he does show glimpses of class in his little cameos, so overall I'm okay with him. With the form of McClean, Brady and McGeady I really don't see much use for Hayes or Horgan.

Egan is a bit unlucky too.

jbyrne
28/08/2017, 3:32 PM
We have injuries to two important central midfielders, yet he drops four more central midfielders from the squad. Kelly and O'Kane, in particular, have been in good form this season and O'Kane has impressed for us also.

o'kane is injured apparently. arrived in camp today but returned to leeds

DeLorean
28/08/2017, 3:37 PM
o'kane is injured apparently. arrived in camp today but returned to leeds

Fair enough, I was a bit baffled by that one.

Diggs246
28/08/2017, 3:49 PM
The Kelly omission is strange, he is exactly what we need and I have to say Scott Hogan not being able to get a passport in time is criminal, for urgent situations its 10 days max... he declared at least 14 days ago

KrisLetang
28/08/2017, 3:52 PM
Westwood is hurt too, what's the point of him being there?

mark12345
28/08/2017, 4:21 PM
The Kelly omission is strange, he is exactly what we need and I have to say Scott Hogan not being able to get a passport in time is criminal, for urgent situations its 10 days max... he declared at least 14 days ago

Kelly omission is awful. He's exactly the type of player we need in the team. He should at least have made the squad. John O'Shea, not good enough to start for a mediocre Championship team, is effectively occupying Kelly's place. And why are there 3 goalkeepers in a squad for two games?

jbyrne
28/08/2017, 4:27 PM
Kelly omission is awful. He's exactly the type of player we need in the team. He should at least have made the squad. John O'Shea, not good enough to start for a mediocre Championship team, is effectively occupying Kelly's place. And why are there 3 goalkeepers in a squad for two games?

what would happen if we only brought two to Georgia and one gets injured over there and another gets sent off?

nigel-harps1954
28/08/2017, 4:59 PM
It would probably break the internet if people agreed about a selected Ireland squad just one time.

I think it's about as good as we can expect at the minute.

Couple of lads can feel a little aggrieved to have been left out, but at this stage I think experienced heads are needed over young blood.

Paul McShane I'd imagine is the one who will feel most sorry at being left out given his good club form over the past year or so coupled with defensive injuries.

KrisLetang
28/08/2017, 5:00 PM
Well what would happen if two got injured and another got sent off? At some point you have to play the odds. Plus couldn't you have an emergency call up after the Georgia game if necessary?

pineapple stu
28/08/2017, 5:03 PM
Not sure how anyone can be complaining about three keepers given (a) it's been par for the course since at least 1990 and (b) it doesn't keep anyone else out of the squad.

KrisLetang
28/08/2017, 5:16 PM
Is it mandatory to name 3 keepers?

irishfan86
28/08/2017, 5:35 PM
Kris, I believe the three goalkeeper in a squad rule applies to the World Cup, possibly the Euros -- those three spots are specifically for goalkeepers.

The idea is to block squads from adding another outfield player on a limited tournament roster. I'm not aware of any restrictions or requirements when it comes to squads for qualifiers.

geysir
28/08/2017, 5:38 PM
Is it mandatory to name 3 keepers?
Teams can bring any number up to a total of 3 keepers.
Isn't it so that Intl. teams are not allowed to bring more than 20 outfield players in their squad?
Wasn't it North Korea who tried to pull a fast one at the WC finals?

pineapple stu
28/08/2017, 5:45 PM
North Korea, yep. FIFA told him it was grand, so long as their "third keeper" only played in nets if he played.

Which raises the vaguely interesting question of whether a keeper is allowed play outfield at a World Cup.

Us and Colombia named two keepers at Italia 90 (we nominated Niall Quinn as our third-choice), and it wasn't overly popular with other countries, who effectively missed out on an extra outfield player as a result.

Stuttgart88
28/08/2017, 5:59 PM
Not sure how anyone can be complaining about three keepers given (a) it's been par for the course since at least 1990 and (b) it doesn't keep anyone else out of the squad.
We only took Peyton and Bonner to Italia 90, and I think only Kelly and Bonner to USA. You sure about 1990? :)

Fixer82
28/08/2017, 6:02 PM
Niall Quinn was our designated 3rd keeper in 1990

Fixer82
28/08/2017, 6:17 PM
Although they were 22 man squads back then

Paddy Garcia
28/08/2017, 6:52 PM
McCarthy is out? No way. That guy is never hurt.

I am sure he will be deeply touched by your sympathy, Even encouraged......

KrisLetang
28/08/2017, 7:02 PM
Jim McDonagh and Barry Roach are the only Irish keepers to ever score a goal. So maybe it is a good idea to take 3 BC maybe we are due.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_goalscoring_goalkeepers

pineapple stu
28/08/2017, 7:12 PM
We only took Peyton and Bonner to Italia 90, and I think only Kelly and Bonner to USA. You sure about 1990? :)
Yep - three was par for the course in 1990 in that 22 of the 24 countries had 3 keepers in the squad. 1986 was the same, and every nation had three keepers in 1982. (It wasn't compulsory until 1998 - but it was par for the course)

mark12345
28/08/2017, 7:13 PM
Er, I dunno....do what every club team does in similar circumstances. Play an outfield player in goal. And what would happen if he got injured? You could go on with that logic forever and name ten goalkeepers. All joking aside, I think two goalies is enough.

Lionel Ritchie
28/08/2017, 9:21 PM
Bonner mentioned back in the 90's that we were the only squad at WC90 without a dedicated goalkeeping coach. Himself and Gerry Peyton used just go through paces themselves. I think by 94 Gerry had himself become the goalkeeping coach for Packie and Alan Kelly.

Charlie Darwin
28/08/2017, 10:57 PM
I'd question whether you know the meaning of the word 'effectively'.

KrisLetang
29/08/2017, 6:30 PM
So when do we get word that someone has tweaked a groin in training? Should be any minute now, no? Like clockwork.

backstothewall
29/08/2017, 11:47 PM

IIRC there is more to this than just getting a passport and showing up at Dublin airport. Because he has previously played for England at underage levels he is obliged to write to fifa informing them he wants to declare for Ireland and there is FIFA paperwork to be completed.

If i were a more cynical man I might suggest that the mini-flurry of declarations we are seeing is linked to our position in the group and the turnaround time of fifa meaning it is getting tight to have a declaration made, the paperwork done, and be involved before the end of qualifying (to have a decent claim to a world cup spot).

CraftyToePoke
29/08/2017, 11:55 PM
Because he has previously played for England at underage levels

Has he though ?

If i were a more cynical man I might suggest that the mini-flurry of declarations we are seeing is linked to our position in the group

Wonder how many more will the rub of the green calling them if we close out a spot at the finals ? :)

Diggs246
29/08/2017, 11:56 PM
No i dont agree tbh. i think it is just about getting your passport and turning up at Dublin airport, as he never played for England at any level

Charlie Darwin
30/08/2017, 12:34 AM
Has he though ?
As far as I know that's irrelevant. As he was born in England and didn't have an Irish passport until recently (if he does) he has to apply for a change of nationality. UCD player Maxi Kouogun was born in Cameroon and wanted to play for Ireland at underage level but couldn't because Cameroon wouldn't cooperate with FIFA to transfer his nationality.

Danny or geysir might have a better explanation than I do.

samhaydenjr
30/08/2017, 2:07 AM

A draw would be the most obvious option, but a win for Austria might also work in our favour, should we beat Georgia and draw with or lose to Serbia as they would still have something to play for when they play Serbia at home, while Wales could be out of it by the time we travel to Cardiff, improving our chances of topping the group. Either way, it really is vital that we beat Georgia. If we can eke out a victory, we'll be in a position where we can go all out for victory against Serbia knowing that we'd still have second place in our own hands if Serbia were to beat us. On the other hand, dropped points on Saturday would leave us chasing Serbia while nervously looking over our shoulders at whoever wins between Austria and Wales and further dropped points against Serbia would leave us in a dogfight for second.

geysir
30/08/2017, 11:04 AM
As far as I know that's irrelevant. As he was born in England and didn't have an Irish passport until recently (if he does) he has to apply for a change of nationality. UCD player Maxi Kouogun was born in Cameroon and wanted to play for Ireland at underage level but couldn't because Cameroon wouldn't cooperate with FIFA to transfer his nationality.

Danny or geysir might have a better explanation than I do.
Afair about Maxi, it has absolutely nothing to do with Cameroon, he's an immigrant, he arrived to Ireland when he was a baby and Fifa wanted proof that he wasn't imported for football reasons. Go figure!

His Cameroon nationality would have been nullified once he became an Irish citizen.

KrisLetang
30/08/2017, 4:36 PM
Is Paul o'Shea gone permanently from here? It's strange not having POSH during the build up to these massive clashes. :( I feel like Maverick did when Goose died. :plane:

CraftyToePoke
30/08/2017, 5:06 PM
He's hitch hiking to Tiblisi, long story short he lost a bet and this is the outcome, he's ok, he checked in a couple of days back & said something like 'you're some bast*ard Crafty after this, I can hear *****ing wolves nearby' but he is on course to make kick off. God bless him.

KrisLetang
30/08/2017, 5:17 PM
Well Dr.Peepee hasn't been on since June so maybe he is supervising the venture from a medical standpoint? I miss PeePee so much. He was like a deranged older uncle to me one 48 hours in Dublin. Most of my mates are gone from here these days.:cry:

nigel-harps1954
30/08/2017, 5:22 PM
Well Dr.Peepee hasn't been on since June so maybe he is supervising the venture from a medical standpoint? I miss PeePee so much. He was like a deranged older uncle to me one 48 hours in Dublin. Most of my mates are gone from here these days.:cry:

http://s.quickmeme.com/img/81/8179cd1d870d552cf6e72edce4b997c26a8d88264c8436c7e7 509bcfea77aee2.jpg

geysir
30/08/2017, 9:33 PM
I suspect it's time to invoke the Georgia prayer yet again, desperate times call for desperate measures. I don't think we can get the 3 points without some extra intervention.
Like the last time, in our dying minutes, McGeady bobs and weaves, shoots and scores, when did that ever happen before and since then? It was a miracle.

dr_peepee
31/08/2017, 9:21 AM

I lurk.... a lot!!!

OwlsFan
31/08/2017, 9:24 AM
The Georgia game will be another away game where we will have to withstand a lot of pressure, grow frustrated about how badly we are playing and then hopefully nick one and then have a few goal line clearances.

geysir
31/08/2017, 3:43 PM
The Georgia game will be another away game where we will have to withstand a lot of pressure, grow frustrated about how badly we are playing and then hopefully nick one and then have a few goal line clearances.
We have played ex soviet republics in 10 qualifiers ties, out of the 20 games played we only dropped points once, in a drawn game.
W19 D1 L0

KrisLetang
31/08/2017, 4:13 PM
So what is everyone predicting?

Ireland 1-1 Georgia
Serbia 3-1 Ireland

Panic ensues.