PDA

View Full Version : UCD beat Kilkenny City...

Poor Student
26/02/2005, 4:51 PM
3-0 was the result I think. I was 10 minutes late and left a few mins early both 17 bus related. I don't know who scored the first but it was a header from a corner. I think Robbie Martin scored the second with a nice lobbed finish after a defensive mistake let him in and Micko got the third rushing in at the far post to slide in at a ball from the right leaving him sandwiched between Kilkenny defenders and the post. TonyMac had the ball in the net a few minutes later nodding in a close range rushing in at the same back post similar to Micko but it was ruled out. Not sure why.

Couldn't make out the line up too well. I reckon Gallagher was in goals. Foley and Mahon were in defence. Micko was on the left. TonyMac in the middle. I think Robbie Martin was up from. Didn't recognise the other dark haired guy No. 10. Didn't know the No.8 either on the right wing. Some blond haired guy came on for the dark haired guy up from and played pretty well. I also think Anto Murphy was on in the 2nd half.

It was a decent enough performance. Seemed alright in the first 25 mins, Kilkenny kind of came into it for the rest of the half. Kilkenny also had a decent amount of pressure in the start of the 1st half but after the second goal we really came into it and seemed to really come to life after the substitutions. We defended well, Kilkenny never really threatened us. I think we had one save to make and a couple of wide efforts. We were neat enough in midfield and threatning enough from the set piece butt lacked a real bite up front. The blond guy seemed sharp (he wasn't John Brophy was he?) but I miss Philly Hughes, not sure why we let him go.

By the way, I feel foolish asking if there was an admission to friendlies, we don't even play in the stadium. The pitch was crap. The last metre of the side of the pitch towards the fence tilts at up to a 30 degree angle at parts. I think our No.8 didn't play too well due to this in the first half. Are they afraid of damaging the pitch or just not bothered to open the stadium for no fans?

Poor Student
26/02/2005, 9:04 PM
According to Aertel McWalter scored the first. Maybe he was that No.8? Or perhaps No.7? Apparently Murphy scored the 3rd, I assume they mean Anto but I am sure it wasn't him, I'm not sure he had even entered the field. It does confirm Micko scored the 2nd.

pineapple stu
26/02/2005, 11:54 PM
Fair enough! Saves me doing a match report, which is just as well as I was 25 minutes late and spent a fair bit of the second half playing football myself!

Team was -

Gallagher
Mahon
Kenna
McNally
Foley
McDonnell
Some random triallist
Kierans
Adrian Murphy
McWalter
O'Donnell.

Subs - Quigley for Gallagher, Dicker for triallist, Brophy for Adrian Murphy, Anto Murphy for McWalter and Aidan Lynch for Kenna.

Scorers were McWalter, Adrian Murphy and Micko. Also had a goal disallowed and spent much of the second half camped in the Kilkenny area. Kilkenny keeper pulled off a couple of good saves, while Quigley and Gallagher were largely spectators. However, the pitch was shocking and not a huge amount will have been learnt. Most of the friendlies in recent years have been on the Foster's Avenue pitch, so I wasn't too surprised to stumble across what looked like a Superleague game (Kilkenny had no shirt sponsors, as did UCD's keeper's jersey) and realise it was the UCD match (that we were wearing the green kit didn't help either!) The slope was something else! Still, good to be back!

Robbie Mac and Robbie Martin were injured. Don't know where Brian Newguy was. Damien Dupuy was there apaprently but didn't feature. Judas Pat Sullivan and even bigger judas Ollie Byrne were in attendance too! We haven't signed Aidan Lynch - not sure if we can afford him...

Poor Student
27/02/2005, 2:58 PM
Most of the friendlies in recent years have been on the Foster's Avenue pitch, so I wasn't too surprised to stumble across what looked like a Superleague game (Kilkenny had no shirt sponsors, as did UCD's keeper's jersey) and realise it was the UCD match (that we were wearing the green kit didn't help either!) The slope was something else! Still, good to be back!

Yeah I got a big fright when I came along. I hesitantly came up afraid I was stumbling across a Superleague game until I recognised the big figure of TonyMac in the middle. Who is Adrian Murphy (the guy I thought was Martin it seems)? And who is Kierans? Was he the right winger or was that McWalter? I gather whichever wasn't on the right wing was TonyMac's partner in the middle.

Poor Student
27/02/2005, 3:59 PM
Ah yeah forgot, Murphy is the chap we signed off Athlone or Galway. :o

CollegeTillIDie
27/02/2005, 4:06 PM
I got a phone call from a mad programme collector wanting to know if there was a team sheet for the match..... I take that there wasn't. If there was any chance of three? :p

pineapple stu
27/02/2005, 5:52 PM
No programmes or teamsheets done.

Adrian Murphy is the lad we signed from Athlone. Colm Kierans played 20 games last season (most as sub), scoring twice. Usually a forward, though he was in mid yesterday. Can't really remember which way the mid lined up exactly - could well have been different to what I had down.

Poor Student
27/02/2005, 6:07 PM
Was it the trialist up front with Murphy? I know No.8 was on right wing, had kind of spiked in the middle slightly blond highlighted hair. No.7 I think was in the middle with TonyMac and a small skinny looking guy. No.8 shifted in to the middle around half time I think. I reckon Anto Murphy came on for one of them, so one of them is McWalter. Damn it, it is so much easier to recognise faces you see on TV every week. I still can't put a face to Kenna, McNally and Foley. Or McAuley for that matter.

pineapple stu
27/02/2005, 6:17 PM
Damn it, it is so much easier to recognise faces you see on TV every week.
With the new TV deal, you may get what you're looking for sooner than you'd think! :)

Poor Student
27/02/2005, 6:21 PM
Actually on that front, do you reckon we'll get to strut our stuff on the box even once? I have a feelig we don't be deemed enough of a draw to 'waste' a TV slot on. :(

pineapple stu
27/02/2005, 6:26 PM
With the amount of games that are being shown, I'd be very hopeful that every team would be shown once. Anything else would be a bit of a joke to be honest. I'm sure a game like UCD-Bohs (our biggest crowd usually, so Belfield wouldn't look that bad) or Longford-UCD (do a bus down , get 20-30 people and it's not our home game so that wouldn't look that bad! :) ) or the likes would be perfectly OK. I'd like to see a couple of First Division games shown too. Did I hear that Setanta are going to be showing a round-up programme like what they do with the Scottish league as well?

Poor Student
27/02/2005, 6:46 PM
Well since Sky and later BBC Sco and now Setanta started showing a proper programme of SPL fixtures they always made a guarantee to give everyone a game or two on TV even if it would involved one of the Old Firm every week. But no such provision seems to have been made. I am worred because it is severla channels showing a few games they will all want to show your Bohs, Shels and Corks. Why would you sacrifice your one of 5 or one of 7 games to show us or even the First Division. Perhaps it's my pessimism but that's how I see it panning out.

HarpoJoyce
27/02/2005, 7:23 PM
I'm not too optimistic about us getting a League game shown live home or away. semi-final in the FAI Cup may be our only guarantee.

We were the most photographed club in Dublin once when we played our home games on Sunday afternoons 1995+. RTÉ used to drop down, film ( sorry video us for a little while and then head back to Montrose to edit and broadcast our win against some non discript team ( Shels or Cork) or whoever.
On the Nine O'Clock news.

On one occasion RtÉ were so committed they arrived without enough batteries against Shelbourne, ( batteries for the camera). Anyhow, the cameramen walked out after abut an hour and missed two goals and a missed penalty. We beat Shels 3-2 but I still think RTÉ turning up without the neseccary equipment is the more suprising.

Same type of thing is still likely to happen this day, If we do get a live League game it will be away from home unless its near the end of the season and an away game in Belfield is considered a tough challenge, with the required away support turning up.

How many times do you have to be told, UCD don't have any fans.

"Ahem ... I'm here in front of you"

You don't count you're just a STUDENT.

"Yea, that's my agruement too."

pineapple stu
27/02/2005, 7:29 PM
Us v. Rovers on the last day could be one for the cameras if the league is decided.

Problem is...we have few fans - fair enough. But this deal is going to give the league massive exposure, and if the big four get all the games while we get ignored, we're going to find it harder to do anything about our fan-base. However, if we do get a game or two, the likes of the kids who were at the soccer camps, or people who went to a few games a while back but stopped, may be tempted to come back to games again, especially if they're going to be on telly!

I remember the days when we were filmed often though...RTÉ's laziness meant we got a decent bit of exposure! UCD-Derry in the Cup and Rovers-UCD in the league were feature games on the RTÉ highlights show and didn't look at all out of place.

Student Mullet
27/02/2005, 9:18 PM
Will it return to it's traditional position behind the Cas' stand now thet we'll be on the telly again?

looping
28/02/2005, 12:16 PM
Some random triallist

this guy is 18 and from hungary wants to be student here

Damien Dupuy was there apaprently but didn't feature.

he was injuried

Schumi
28/02/2005, 1:17 PM
Farily crap game, Kilkenny looked even worse than last year! Adrian Murphy looked sharp up front and took his goal well and McWalter looked better up front than he did on the wing last year. John Brophy was good when he came on too, unlucky not to get a goal.

The midfield lined up:
Micko --- Tony Mac --- Hungarian triallist guy --- Kierans

Kierans moved up front when Pat McWalter went off for Anto Murphy.

I still can't put a face to Kenna, McNally and Foley. Or McAuley for that matter.I got photos of most of the guys playing yesterday. I must put them on the net somewhere.

bambi
28/02/2005, 3:21 PM
www.sporstfile.ie
Go into guest access and type in the players name and you should receive photos from the past couple of seasons.

bambi
28/02/2005, 3:23 PM
Actually its this link

http://www.sportsfile.com/fotoweb/

pineapple stu
09/03/2005, 12:59 PM
Thread (http://kilkennycity.proboards20.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1109065682) on the Kilkenny forum about the match.

CollegeTillIDie
10/03/2005, 5:29 PM
Reckon Pat Scully has yet to work the oracle then lads?