PDA

View Full Version : Hey Devo!!

Seagull
25/02/2005, 7:28 PM
Get him back now!

From eleven-a-side.com:

Dunfermline Athletic midfielder Gary Dempsey has made a shock exit from the Scottish Premier League club, returning home to Ireland after reaching a mutual agreement to cancel his contract at East End Park.

Dempsey had been one of the eircom League’s most successful exports, leaving Waterford United in 2002 to become a key player at the Pars.

Last year, he was tipped to win senior international honours by then Dunfermline manager Jimmy Calderwood after inspiring the unfashionable club to the final of the Scottish Cup.

However, the 24-year-old, a former Irish under-21 international star who numbers Bray Wanderers and Everton among his former clubs, has today (Friday) cut short his stay in Scotland.

And Dempsey refused to reveal the reasons behind his decision.

He said: “I’ve mutually agreed with Dunfermline to cancel my contract. I don’t want to go into the reasons behind it. I’m going back home to clear my head a bit and work out what I do now."

His return to Ireland will alert some of the bigger hitters in the eircom League, with champions Shelbourne certain to be interested in a player of his standing.

The league begins in three weeks time, but even if he does make a return to domestic soccer, Dempsey will be unavailable for the big kick-off as he faces another month on the sidelines with the ankle injury that has kept him out of action since the end of January

Bray Head
25/02/2005, 7:36 PM
Gary Dempsey would be a great signing. I don't think Devo gave him much of a chance when he was with us before. The fact he has left by mutual consent means no transfer fee would be involved only his weekly wages.

Roo69
26/02/2005, 6:26 PM
Gary Dempsey would be a great signing. I don't think Devo gave him much of a chance when he was with us before. The fact he has left by mutual consent means no transfer fee would be involved only his weekly wages.

2 chances of us getting dempsey lads ! zero and none, he'll have any amount of suitors to take him on plus his wages would be greater than anything a EL side could offer i reckon