PDA

View Full Version : Rangers and Scotland fans

NeilMcD
24/02/2005, 1:28 PM
I thought you might be interested in reading this web page: http://tamb.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=16820

NeilMcD
24/02/2005, 1:36 PM
Ok go to this link and then click on the link that is in the Tartan Army Message Board. It goes to Rangers Fans discussing the Union Jack at Scotland games.

Pat O' Banton
24/02/2005, 1:38 PM
Often log on to FF to see how the other half live, this is fairly tame. Get them on the subject of the Irish, at first there is some I've nothing against them, then I've nothing against them but, I'm sure you all can work out where this leads to!
The pharse 'Romanist' is regularly used on the board, leading me to wonder if they'll be witch burning next.
They also thought the throwing potatoes on to the Celtic Park pitch, (they think the Irish are spud suckers you see was truely hilarious :rolleyes: )

NeilMcD
24/02/2005, 1:48 PM
Just put it up as it is an interesting discussion into the idea of nationality and to be British and Scottish etc.

sylvo
25/02/2005, 10:55 AM
Those fella's on the follow follow site have calmed down a bit, their normally a lot more angry then that. I think someone was on a bit of a wind up on that subject and a load of them fell for it as per the norm. :D

Eire06
25/02/2005, 11:21 AM
Bad link Neil.

Did ya read it... It gives a good insite to some of the small minded biggots in Scotland... Kinda funny actually...
sounded like some of them were going to the match to wind up their fellow supporters not watch the game...
Someone should let them know its the other team your supposed to be intinidating not your own supporters :rolleyes:

Pat O' Banton
25/02/2005, 12:22 PM
In light of the dahamstas post on political discussions and the descent of threads into bigotry I will try to tread carefully on this matter. Re Mark Walter's subject, it did happened, it was once and is one of the darkest moments in the recent history of Celtic (in my view equal to than almost going bust or the incompetence of the team in the middle of Ranagers nine in a row) The only thing that can be said about it is that a large and active anti fascist movement developed at Celtic, in many ways because of the embrassment.

Personally speaking I think large scale insulting racial stereotyping is worse than a cigerette lighter thrown by an eejit, I don't find idiotic references to the death and emigration of half of Ireland's population a hilarious gesture, and I'm sure that you don't so why play the game of 'well they do this or that as well'?

*Oh the reference to Romanist and witch burning was more in the context of the age of the word (surely 16/17th century?)then the bigotry attached with the sentements

drinkfeckarse
25/02/2005, 12:39 PM
Hmmm, spuds you say...harder than bananas that Celtic fans threw at Mark Walters no doubt (once, as they will point out), but not as hard as a cigarette lighter on the back of the head I'd say... ;)

They probably didn't take offence at the Mark Walters incident, after all racist incidents like that are still commonplace at Ibrox....just ask Bobo Balde, Sylla, Petta etc who were/are regularly subjected to it :rolleyes:

Pat O' Banton
25/02/2005, 12:40 PM
Because it's better than the 'yeah, we did nasty things but they did even nastier things' game?

Celtic fans admit that the Walter's incident was an embarassment to the club and happened in 1988, the people on FF seem to thing the spud throwing funny and happened last year, can you not see a difference?

Pat O' Banton
25/02/2005, 12:43 PM
On the other hand, there is the 'sticks and stones (and cigarette lighters) may break my bones but names will never hurt me' line...

So you would argue that negative racial stereotyping doesn't lead to violence? Seriously Connor I know you can come up with better than this.

drinkfeckarse
25/02/2005, 12:56 PM
Are you seriously proposing this as some defence for what happened? It's somehow not so bad to pelt a player with bananas because of his skin colour because the other fans won't mind? That beggars belief.

Not defending it at all, as has been pointed out to you (but you seem to refuse to aknowledge), that incident is a matter of embarressment to Celtic fans today. All I'm saying is that racist abuse is commonplace at Ibrox to this day, something that isn't the case at Celtic.

drinkfeckarse
25/02/2005, 1:06 PM
Which is, of course, completely unacceptable.

So can we agree that it's Ibrox for racism and Celtic Park for throwing metal objects at footballers, and agree to leave it at that?

Grand so ;)

Junior
25/02/2005, 1:39 PM
Hmmm, spuds you say...harder than bananas that Celtic fans threw at Mark Walters no doubt (once, as they will point out), but not as hard as a cigarette lighter on the back of the head I'd say... ;)

And just like clockwork, Conor brings up the Mark Walters incident. Not out of any sympathy towards Walters and the discraceful racist abuse he suffered, but purely to 'noise up' celtic fans.

Scoring points out of this episode is cheap to say the least. I've said this before & no doubt I'll be pointing it out in another Conor post in the not to distant future. :(

Pat O' Banton
25/02/2005, 1:45 PM
:D

I'm not the one arguing 'well, a banana thrown that year isn't as bad as a potato thrown this year'...

Ah the lawyer in you here Conor :D

You know full well that it shows (hopefully) that Celtic fans have moved beyond petty rascism (come on, it happened seventeen years ago its hardly a good indicator of the behaviour of those inside Parkhead nowadays) where as those from FF still find it a worthy thing. Anyway this is developing into a Celtic / Rangers thread, when Neil's first point was on how their fans view Scotland/Britain and is an interesting one. Perhaps I should type something about that instead.

sylvo
26/02/2005, 3:16 PM
But probably no worse than if someone in Scotland were to look at the number of times 'hun' or 'tan' is used on this board and find it very amusing.

Its Ground hog day :eek:

AHH here we go again, not going to go into what the result was after that sad incident because it has been explained to yer good self Conor many times by me, plus Pat and Drinkfeckarse have also explained it again to yer Conor.

In the last 18 years nothing like that has happened thankfully to black players, but maybe we could bring in some of problems in that time that seem to follow the fans of the team that you support this side of the water.

Your bringing up one incident Conor about Celtic fans, where as your fellow Leeds fans have been happy to do photo calls dressed up as KKK members, make mokey noises at Black players, sing songs about hating Asians (not forgetting some of your former players kicking to bits two young Asian lads), attacking Turkish owned shops due to an incident when Leeds fans tried to take on half of Istanbul, also smashing up town centers home and away (I suppose you never heard what happened in Bournmouth), and that other great rallying cry for Leeds fans songs about the Munich air crash.

So Conor, I know you do like a wind up, but I think you should get your own house in order before you go on about A incident from fans of another team.

sylvo
27/02/2005, 11:09 PM
Wa that meant to be funny haha or funny peculiar, or not funny at all and just distasteful?

As for the defence of 'years ago', I could've sworn that the object thrown at Ricksen was only last weekend...weren't you saying something about getting one's own house in order before commenting on fans of other clubs?

Fans of Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal have all been in the news of late for chucking stuff at players all wrong like the eejit that chucked whatever at Rickson but as far as your concerned its only Celtic fans that do that old craic.

I like the way you pick up on any old incident involving Celtic fans and make a big deal of it even though you follow a club whose fans sing about people being killed in a plane crash or are happy to pose for the camara's in kkk gear. Maybe we could talk about the Leeds fans response after the last time they were in a europian final and how they never got a fair play award unlike Celtic's. Your the one who has had players from the team you follow up in court on a charge of racial agrovated violence, yet you bang on all the time about Celtic.

As for this funny ha ha craic, what do you mean and whats this poor taste craic about.

lopez
27/02/2005, 11:23 PM
Wa that meant to be funny haha or funny peculiar, or not funny at all and just distasteful?Oh dear! :( :( We've hit the right buttons here. :D

lopez
28/02/2005, 9:13 AM
Well, if the stabbing to death of two fans is 'the right buttons', then yes, they have been hit. But I would have thought most football fans would have found that incident distressing. If you are trying to get me to respond with some joke about the teenager who was stabbed for being a Celtic fan a few years back, I'm afraid I won't sink to that level.I was laughing at how Sylvo mentioning the Leeds fans behaviour that night and its backlash against the turkish community in Leeds and indeed Britain - 'attacking Turkish owned shops due to an incident when Leeds fans tried to take on half of Istanbul' - got you into sanctimonious mode. LOL! :D :rolleyes: As for 'distressing' on my part? Erm, no. :confused: Leeds has a history of some right nasty right wing w*nkers amongst its support stretching back at least to the time that you were kicked out of Europe for not being able to take defeat to Beckenbauer and the boys. Perhaps you should look at your own club's hardly illustrious record before pointing the finger at other clubs. Oh, and for the record, no I didn't think those two blokes deserved to die even if one had a history of hooliganism. But then I don't believe paedophiles or murderers should be executed either. :p :rolleyes:

thejollyrodger
28/02/2005, 9:54 AM
Was anyone watching the Rangers/Celtic supporters on the telly last night ? I hate both clubs. With all the bigotry its pathetic.

I think its high time the FAI banned all Glasgow Celtic jerseys at LAndsdowne Road

sylvo
28/02/2005, 10:16 AM
:D :D

Read the Liverpool thrad where I got some Everton fans annoyed for suggesting a points deduction for throwing objects.

Go on, tell me, what else did I do and not do lately - and this time let's not make up stuff...

Conor i'm not bothered about who you've been winding up of late its when you get on your anti Celtic rants and try and make out that the support hates black people due to some @rsehole chucking stuff at Walters 18 years ago, and it sounds even more crazy when a Leeds fan is doing the accusing.

Now where have I made up stuff, have none of those things happened then. Did Leeds fans not try and take on half of Istanbul, those two blokes did not deserve what happened to them of course they didn't but I take it Leeds fans where perfect angels in your eyes and did nothing to upset their hosts, they were all complaining that even people in suits were jumping off buses and even Women were trying to get to them, I suppose that had nothing to do with phissing on Turkish flags and insulting everyone, those two blokes didn't deserve what happened to them but the Turkish community here didn't deserve the hatred they got because of it.

I suppose you know all about the fears Asian communitys in towns and citys across England have when Leeds come to their towns, like the Asian community in Leicester who just shut down for the day altogether and wait till they've gone.

When Celtic fans have tried to burn down a town like when your Leeds fans tried to do it in Bournmouth, or when they get chucked out of playing in Europe do to smashing up a forign city i'll take on board your problems, until then, I think you should get your own house in order still.

Jim Smith
28/02/2005, 10:56 AM
...the support hates black people due to some @rsehole chucking stuff at Walters 18 years ago....
As someone who was living in Glasgow at the time (I wasn't at the game) and remembers the post incident fall out I'll chuck my two cents in here:

There was more than a single individual involved in the banana throwing, that much was obvious from the media coverage. However this behaviour was a reflection of the racism within Scottish society in general at the time. The Scottish media and public had the deluded notion that racism was a problem that was confined to the English and didn't exist in Scotland. Walters himself said that the reaction he got in Scotland was just as bad as the reaction that he got in England.

I honestly believe that Celtic have tried to deal with their knuckle-draggers (maybe they just keep them better hidden) more than Rangers. Or it may be that I just dislike Rangers more than I dislike Celtic :eek:

Anyway, to keep dragging up the Walters incident is a cheap shot that is well passed it sell by date.

lopez
28/02/2005, 11:16 AM
Strange, strange post....for a strange, strange bloke. Keep those sanctimonious posts coming. They do tickle me. :D

I think its high time the FAI banned all Glasgow Celtic jerseys at LAndsdowne RoadLast time I was in Ireland I got the impression it was a free country. :confused:

I suppose you know all about the fears Asian communitys in towns and citys across England have when Leeds come to their towns, like the Asian community in Leicester who just shut down for the day altogether and wait till they've gone.Shurely shome mishtake Shylvo? Don't they open to all hours because we are talking about the best behaved supporters in the world? Don't have any time for Scum United but at least at the Theater of Creams in the days when it was a fashionable occurence, that if someone started selling the Flag or The Bulldog it wouldn't be too long before his a*se would be kicked up and down the Stretford End. Not at Leeds though.

As someone who was living in Glasgow at the time (I wasn't at the game) and remembers the post incident fall out I'll chuck my two cents in here:

There was more than a single individual involved in the banana throwing, that much was obvious from the media coverage. However this behaviour was a reflection of the racism within Scottish society in general at the time. The Scottish media and public had the deluded notion that racism was a problem that was confined to the English and didn't exist in Scotland. Walters himself said that the reaction he got in Scotland was just as bad as the reaction that he got in England.

I honestly believe that Celtic have tried to deal with their knuckle-draggers (maybe they just keep them better hidden) more than Rangers. Or it may be that I just dislike Rangers more than I dislike Celtic.
I was at a game in the eighties at Forest where a group of Celtic fans started doing monkey chants. What was different from certain other clubs (for you Connor I'll spell it out clearly. LEEDS) was that a number of other fans steamed into them causing an almighty kick off. Are there racist Celtic fans? Of course. George Galloway saw a young lad in the hoops giving the nazi salute during that business on the sink estate with the murdered Iranian asylum seeker. Is it tolerated: It wasn't in 1983.

Anyway, to keep dragging up the Walters incident is a cheap shot that is well passed it sell by date.Well said!

Junior
28/02/2005, 11:39 AM
Was anyone watching the Rangers/Celtic supporters on the telly last night ? I hate both clubs. With all the bigotry its pathetic.

I think its high time the FAI banned all Glasgow Celtic jerseys at LAndsdowne Road

Glad to see you weren't taken in by this utter drivel & the sensationalism, closed questioning type journalism it contained. My 3 year old niece could have pulled togewther a more informative 40 minutes of viewing.

Green Tribe
28/02/2005, 11:39 AM
i know u get horrible people in all societies, but in my couple of years here, every rangers fan i have met has been very openly racist( about other countries and race) and anti-irish(with and without knowing where i was from). it makes my blood boil and i always have to tell them how brainless and ignorant they are. being female allows u to be able to speak ur mind and not get thumped :D

lopez
28/02/2005, 11:52 AM
Glad to see you weren't taken in by this utter drivel & the sensationalism, closed questioning type journalism it contained. My 3 year old niece could have pulled togewther a more informative 40 minutes of viewing.I felt particularly depressed at the programme which as you predicted was to centre on the extreme fringe. Imagine what other Europeans would feel watching the programme, with a youth in Sweden shirt throwing a rock and another (who I presume was successfully prosecuted as they didn't hide his face) wearing a Spain shirt and a black eye while swinging a hammer around until what looked like his mother, dragged him home?

To be fair as far as I know,no fascist newspapers/merchandise has been openly distributed @ Elland Rd.,for approx.15 years.......I was talking about that period.

Karlos
28/02/2005, 12:26 PM
i know u get horrible people in all societies, but in my couple of years here, every rangers fan i have met has been very openly racist( about other countries and race) and anti-irish(with and without knowing where i was from).

I suppose to just come from the other persepective. I like Celtic but am not a Celtic fan. I look out for results because my cousins are season ticket holders in Glasgow. I've never been to a game there but I have met quite a few rangers fans and representatives. I've never had a single problem with them - perhaps I've just been lucky. I have a friend who lives down the street who is a Rangers fan and he gets a good ribbing over his support - all good natured stuff. I've met a few couples from Scotland on holiday in Ibiza and the likes and spent 2 weeks in their company and many years by e-mail.

The best experience I ever had though was last year at Easter in a football tournament in Amsterdam with my U-12's. We played Rangers U-12's in a game. Before the game we met their coaches and had a good chat about football & insignificant stuff and we agreed to get a team photo of the boys together with both the tricolour and union jack in the background. It was a special moment and it was great to see kids from both sides just enjoying the company. It helped that we beat them 2-0 too on the way to winning the cup! :D

After the game, I had a great chat with the Rangers coach about life in Glasgow and the hatred etc and a dutch guy even questioned the hatred as kids stuff compared to Ajax and Feynoord (he was taking the urine!) - it was a great day and I must say the representatives & players of Rangers Football Club behaved impeccably on the day even after a malling by our lads :p . Pity the same couldn't be said of some of our boy's fathers but thankfully they were only brave when the Rangers lads had gone. :mad:

I know there's probably terrible stuff going on all the time but for me I've always got on well and enjoyed the company of any Rangers fans I've met.

lopez
28/02/2005, 1:05 PM
That's at least the fourth time this word has been used by the Usual Suspects against me.
That's because it sums you up. You can add boring and predictable as well, the ammount of times you bring up Mark Walters and his bananas.

Anyway, surely that Panorama crowd made some mistake. From the Celtic apologists here it seems like there is a great programme to be made about Leeds United fans. How dare they turn their cameras on Celtic when a good few contributors here could have assured them there was nothing to see and the real nasty stuff is all elsewhere, or was years ago, or is never spoken about...Nothing like looking at the tribalism of the Paddies, even within the setting of Scotland, to get the figures going. Leeds? About as sexy as, well, Leeds. I hear on the grapevine that Panorama's got a programme coming up about this wonderful Yorkshire institution, although it seems to centre on cocaine on the cereals and an Irishman having the sh*t kicked out of him outside a pub. Except this time the Irishman is also a Leeds player and the victim :confused: while the assailant has been paid to do it by a club director as part of an unorthodox wage cutting and redundancy programme. :D :p

sylvo
28/02/2005, 7:17 PM

That's at least the fourth time this word has been used by the Usual Suspects against me.

Anyway, surely that Panorama crowd made some mistake. From the Celtic apologists here it seems like there is a great programme to be made about Leeds United fans. How dare they turn their cameras on Celtic when a good few contributors here could have assured them there was nothing to see and the real nasty stuff is all elsewhere, or was years ago, or is never spoken about...

Now now Conor no need to be left out, sure didn't panorama do a programe
about Leeds United when some of your players nearly kicked to death an unfortunate Asain lad who's only crime was to say to his brother ''look there's Jonathan Woodgate'' plus maybe the colour of his skin had something also to do with it. But hey we'll let you go on dragging up something from 18 years ago.

I'm sure if Panorama wanted to do a programe about a once famous club with a nasty right wing fan base that has had a sad fall from grace :D , then i'm sure Leeds would be a perfect chioce of subject matter.

sylvo
28/02/2005, 7:21 PM
[QUOTE=Conor74]Time to bail out of this one

Conor whats wrong, is it because you came on with the the same old wind up and ended up getting a little cross yerself instead. :eek:

Ahh come on Conor do stay, I want to hear about that time when Mark Walters got all that abuse, I've heard your the man to ask about what happened. ;)

sylvo
28/02/2005, 7:25 PM

I liked to have seen them try that ban about 15-16 years ago, we would have been playing to a half empty stadium.

Eire06
28/02/2005, 7:37 PM

Look thats just stupid, people can wear whatever they like to a football match and who the hell are you to tell them otherwise..
I'm sick of people in the forum going on here about celtic jerseys, get over it..

Do you actually realise some people actualy support the club for the soccer team and not what they 'think' the club stands for.. Ya there are the yobs that couldn't name 2 players on the team that wear the jersey cause they think in some stupid way it's fightin for the cause thats crap but please do not brand everyone the same..

I do not wear my celtic jersey to Ireland internationals because I have a lovely ireland jersey but on the cold days I do wear my celtic hoodie, mostly because its really warm and its green, like to wear somethin with the color and god help anyone who tried to tell me I couldn't wear it because it says Celtic on it...
:mad:
Why not tell all the people who wear Eircom League, English league and GAA jerseys not to wear them.. Sure we can just ban all Jerseys bar the Ireland Jersey would you like that..
Please Grow up :mad:

Rant now over :D

liam88
28/02/2005, 8:34 PM
but names will never hurt me'
Never been called a dirty Irish f**k have you Conor?

lopez
28/02/2005, 10:38 PM
Conor whats wrong, is it because you came on with the the same old wind up and ended up getting a little cross yerself instead. :eek:

Ahh come on Conor do stay, I want to hear about that time when Mark Walters got all that abuse, I've heard your the man to ask about what happened. ;)Hey Silvs, c'mon now. Don't be taking the p*ss. BTW, did I ever tell you the story of Mark Walters having a load of fruit thrown at him at Parkhead about the time me and Conchita started getting together? Yeah, I had hair then. And wasn't a fat b*stard either. And was into George Michael too: long before, you know, he got his mickey out in Kingsbury Green bogs. Mind you, always thought that Japanese salt was a bit too butch though. :cool: :rolleyes:

sylvo
01/03/2005, 10:08 AM
Look thats just stupid, people can wear whatever they like to a football match and who the hell are you to tell them otherwise..
I'm sick of people in the forum going on here about celtic jerseys, get over it..

Do you actually realise some people actualy support the club for the soccer team and not what they 'think' the club stands for.. Ya there are the yobs that couldn't name 2 players on the team that wear the jersey cause they think in some stupid way it's fightin for the cause thats crap but please do not brand everyone the same..

I do not wear my celtic jersey to Ireland internationals because I have a lovely ireland jersey but on the cold days I do wear my celtic hoodie, mostly because its really warm and its green, like to wear somethin with the color and god help anyone who tried to tell me I couldn't wear it because it says Celtic on it...
:mad:
Why not tell all the people who wear Eircom League, English league and GAA jerseys not to wear them.. Sure we can just ban all Jerseys bar the Ireland Jersey would you like that..
Please Grow up :mad:

Rant now over :D

Well said, I love these people who go around telling people what they can and can't wear to a match.

sylvo
01/03/2005, 10:11 AM
Hey Silvs, c'mon now. Don't be taking the p*ss. BTW, did I ever tell you the story of Mark Walters having a load of fruit thrown at him at Parkhead about the time me and Conchita started getting together? Yeah, I had hair then. And wasn't a fat b*stard either. And was into George Michael too: long before, you know, he got his mickey out in Kingsbury Green bogs. Mind you, always thought that Japanese salt was a bit too butch though. :cool: :rolleyes:

Yea I suppose it would have been around that time, agree with you about the salt that was a strange double act.

lopez
01/03/2005, 10:31 AM
Yea I suppose it would have been around that time, agree with you about the salt that was a strange double act.I knew there was something funny about him, er, her. Mind you, you couldn't tell Javier Bardem from the Crown about them which kind of like didn't soften the blow to him with that incident in Santa Monica with a member of LA's finest. :D Btw, Sylvs, did you know that Mark Walters had a banana...

Junior
01/03/2005, 11:21 AM
Well said, I love these people who go around telling people what they can and can't wear to a match.

Come on now Sylv, bow down to the 'Real' fans.

lopez
01/03/2005, 1:05 PM
Come on now Sylv, bow down to the 'Real' fans.Just bought a Celtic (away) top for £7.99 in your old stamping ground, Junior. At that price I might have bought a 'Gers top if they had any left. :eek: :D Can't wait for the next Ireland game to wear it.

sylvo
01/03/2005, 6:48 PM
Come on now Sylv, bow down to the 'Real' fans.

I'm almost jealous of The fashion Police that are wanting doormen on the turnstyles at LR to inforce a dress code, it must be great to be young again and not be old enough to remember when half the stadiums used to wear that certain teams shirt ;) , As I think back on those days I even remember we even had a bit of life in LR.

Come to think of it, those were the days. :)

AmenToThat
04/03/2005, 2:06 AM

Anyway, surely that Panorama crowd made some mistake. From the Celtic apologists here it seems like there is a great programme to be made about Leeds United fans. How dare they turn their cameras on Celtic when a good few contributors here could have assured them there was nothing to see and the real nasty stuff is all elsewhere, or was years ago, or is never spoken about...

What exactly did they show abotu Celtic on panorama that makes the fans such nuts?

A Republican march through Glasgow city centre.....what does this have to do with Celtic fc, maybe they were sponsoring it?

Fans singing the 'Boys of the old Brigade'?
Show me an Irishman that hasnt sang that one and Ill show you a liar!
Political it may be in relation to a football match, but secterian it isnt.

O yes some 16 year old in a detention centre and some kids throwing stones, hardly likely to be attending Celtics games any of them..........specially the 16 year old as hes locked up 24/7.

A load of lads going to casualty after fighting or getting jumped on.............could be any major town in Ireland on a weekend night.

The program was a crock of **** and sensationalist and if thats all the BBC with all its resources could come up with to discredit the good name of Celtic fc then its about bloody time that Tony Blair revolked their charter as they cant lie to save their lives.