PDA

View Full Version : Next Breakthrough player

liamoo11
11/07/2017, 10:33 PM
Preseason always offers hope. Last year not a chance I saw Kelly, manning or long make the breakthrough and didn't think Ronan would be as involved as he was. Any ideas who might do it this season? Will Barrett follow Kelly into reading side? Will roache be a starter at Blackpool?will rice go out on loan and be a starter in the championship?will o Keefe and Hale get a chance with Birmingham?will Carroll be first choice centre half at Oxford?will Liverpool let masterson and kelleher go on loan to see if 2 of our really promising players can cut it maybe at league 1 level? Any chance grego Cox can score goals at qpr? Any chance de Boer will promote youth and Flanagan might have a chance? Stokes signed a year extension at Leeds but will he see any game time? Byrne and Duffus and charlsly surely have to go out to league 1 or 2 and play first team football?Will elbouzedi make an impact in Scotland? there are alot of attacking players in the list above and we could do with some breaking through. Any other lads stand out? Going on last season hopefully there will be some from left field

samhaydenjr
13/07/2017, 3:17 AM
That's a lot of questions but I'll try to make a couple of quick predictions: Masterson, Kelleher and Hale will all continue at underage, but will get more time in their respective U23 teams (same for Aaron Connolly at Brighton. Hopefully McAuley will also get a chance at U23 level). Of the Everton trio, I reckon Charsley is the most likely to get a decent loan (or possibly even break into the Everton Squad) after an excellent season in the PDL winning U23 team. Rice is also well positioned to break through as is Josh Cullen if he gets a loan to a Championship squad after a year and a half on loan at Bradford. Roache, Carroll and Elbouzedi may start to make progress at their clubs but would need to go up a couple of levels before consideration for the National Team.

OwlsFan
14/07/2017, 9:20 AM
No mention of Conor O'Grady at Sheffield Wednesday? On the bench for the pre-season friendly against Alfreton and came on to score. Just signed a contract, albeit only for another year. Early days but who knows.

sorbothegreek
14/07/2017, 1:04 PM
"Promising youngster" Dara O'Shea featuring regularly in WBA's pre-season so far.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tony-pulis-names-21-man-13330975

Paudie O'Connor another who seems to be doing well

https://throughitalltogether.sbnation.com/2017/7/5/15922808/who-is-paudie-oconnor-young-irishman-stars-in-leeds-united-friendly-harrogate-town-madger-gomes

samhaydenjr
15/07/2017, 1:31 AM
"Promising youngster" Dara O'Shea featuring regularly in WBA's pre-season so far.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tony-pulis-names-21-man-13330975

Paudie O'Connor another who seems to be doing well

https://throughitalltogether.sbnation.com/2017/7/5/15922808/who-is-paudie-oconnor-young-irishman-stars-in-leeds-united-friendly-harrogate-town-madger-gomes

Dara O'Shea might be one that comes out of left field alright - here's a video of him scoring for WBA's U-18s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeEChiSqhYY

Meanwhile, Southampton have taken Aaron O'Driscoll as part of a 28-man squad to a training camp in Austria: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-07-10/southampton-pre-season-austria-squad-announcement

Olé Olé
15/07/2017, 1:33 PM
What position is O'Shea?

liamoo11
15/07/2017, 7:10 PM
What position is O'Shea?

He is a centre half as is o Driscoll

tetsujin1979
15/07/2017, 7:48 PM
Thought O'Driscoll was a full back? He played there when he was in the academy at man City

liamoo11
16/07/2017, 5:02 PM
Shaughnesy on Leeds per season tour o Connor didn't go

the doc
16/07/2017, 6:06 PM
Sean St Ledger, back training with Leicester

Charlie Darwin
17/07/2017, 1:36 AM
Have you any more information on this promising youngster?

Closed Account
17/07/2017, 7:08 AM

A mate of mine who played 5 a side with a cousin of Robbie Keanes sisters hairdressers brother had a shot in Coppers with Sean St Ledgers mates sisters nutritionist, and apparently,
they don't know much

seanfhear
17/07/2017, 8:51 AM
Leicester hoping for another miracle........getting a St onside..........

Eminence Grise
17/07/2017, 9:17 AM

I think he was delivered by the doc in October, 2007.

liamoo11
19/07/2017, 7:45 PM
Hayes got a run for Villa last night

Colbert Report
20/07/2017, 11:47 PM
What exactly is the deal? Is The Doc actually Sean St. Ledger or just a close friend or family member?

CraftyToePoke
21/07/2017, 1:21 AM
He's his love baby, his secret love baby. From that time in Benidorm.

gastric
21/07/2017, 1:42 AM
The Doc is actually Taylor Swift who really wants Sledge back.

seanfhear
21/07/2017, 6:55 AM
You mean he is not a real Doctor.......! !

Olé Olé
21/07/2017, 9:01 AM

You have completely derailed a promising thread. Well done.

St. Ledger isn't the next breakthrough player. He broke through already.

Olé Olé
21/07/2017, 9:06 AM
Hayes got a run for Villa last night

Very promising. Very young lad. Any sign of James Finnerty making a similar push seen as he is a similar age?

Kevin Toner is surely looking for a move, loan or permanent. They have just signed Chris Samba. Following on from the Glenn Whelan and El Mohamedy signings so it appears that experience will be Bruce's focus this season.

liamoo11
21/07/2017, 6:27 PM
Very promising. Very young lad. Any sign of James Finnerty making a similar push seen as he is a similar age?

Kevin Toner is surely looking for a move, loan or permanent. They have just signed Chris Samba. Following on from the Glenn Whelan and El Mohamedy signings so it appears that experience will be Bruce's focus this season.

Good point toner got a run earlier in preseason but yeah might need to move. Finnerty is year below Hayes no sign of him .

tricky_colour
21/07/2017, 7:00 PM
Nice to see him back, shame he was not playing in the Champions league for em, they might have won it.

liamoo11
21/07/2017, 9:45 PM
Kayoda got a run for rotherham in preseason a few days ago young striker

samhaydenjr
23/07/2017, 3:00 AM
Maybe not yet on the verge of a major breakthrough but Courtney Duffus has started his career at Oldham Athletic well, scoring one goal and forcing the penalty that led to the other as the Latics drew with Accrington Stanley in a pre-season friendly: https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2017/july/22072017-accrington-stanley-vs-oldham-athletic/

samhaydenjr
23/07/2017, 3:09 AM
Danny Kane played fifteen minutes in a pre-season friendly for Huddersfield against Bury recently and has been an unused sub in a couple more: https://www.htafc.com/news/2017/july/match-report-for-bury-fc-vs-huddersfield-town-16-july-17/

mark12345
23/07/2017, 8:52 PM
Danny Kane played fifteen minutes in a pre-season friendly for Huddersfield against Bury recently and has been an unused sub in a couple more: https://www.htafc.com/news/2017/july/match-report-for-bury-fc-vs-huddersfield-town-16-july-17/

Jake Doyle Hayes played for Villa today in their 3-0 defeat of MSV Duisburg (Villa won trophy). Villa fans gushing over the performance of Hayes saying he looked very assured in midfield for them. Twitter buzzing about him. He has U-23 experience for Villa. Has he played for out U-21's?

mark12345
23/07/2017, 8:53 PM
Jake Doyle Hayes played for Villa today in their 3-0 defeat of MSV Duisburg (Villa won trophy). Villa fans gushing over the performance of Hayes saying he looked very assured in midfield for them. Twitter buzzing about him. He has U-23 experience for Villa. Has he played for out U-21's?

Actually went on looking to see how Hourihane had done, but found this about Doyle-Hayes

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/07/23/aston-villa-fans-react-on-twitter-to-jake-doyle-hayess-performan/

liamoo11
23/07/2017, 9:30 PM

No hasn't played 21 s for us yet I think. He missed the Euro 17s finals 2 years ago with injury and missed out when we lost out to Sweden in the 19s qualifying group with Italy and Belgium this season so his Ireland career has been a bit stop start I'd say.

liamoo11
23/07/2017, 11:12 PM
Barrett has been heavily involved for reading. Roman has played slot for wolves hopefully their new found wealth won't freeze him out.mcdonnell has played a bit for Ipswich.grego Cox seems to be involved a good bit at qpr

Bungle
25/07/2017, 6:59 PM
He won't be our next breakthrough player but tyreke wilson has flown out to join the man city squad in the us earlier in the week.
Only 2 other youngsters there so Pep obviously rates him.
I work with his aunt and she was telling me he's aiming to become a regular in the u23s this season and then go on loan the following season. Seems like a very down to earth kid.

liamoo11
25/07/2017, 8:00 PM
He won't be our next breakthrough player but tyreke wilson has flown out to join the man city squad in the us earlier in the week.
Only 2 other youngsters there so Pep obviously rates him.
I work with his aunt and she was telling me he's aiming to become a regular in the u23s this season and then go on loan the following season. Seems like a very down to earth kid.

That's fantastic for the lad. Hopefully pep stops buying fullbacks! B great to see a young Irish lad involved with a big vlub

Bungle
25/07/2017, 8:05 PM
By all accounts he's very level headed,committed and quiet with a girlfriend he's had since he's 12!
What's that they say 90% committment and 10% talent...

liamoo11
25/07/2017, 8:41 PM
Connolly got 20 mins tonight for Brighton. Molumpy and Hutchinson on bench

samhaydenjr
26/07/2017, 2:15 AM
Connolly got 20 mins tonight for Brighton. Molumpy and Hutchinson on bench

That's a real interesting one - I wouldn't have expected Connolly to make the leap to first-team football for one season, at least, as he's still only 17 and has only just made the step-up to U-23s at club level, which would be perfectly fine. And I know it's just 20 minutes in a pre-season friendly where other underage players got a run-out and it's still unlikely that he'll show up on a Premier League team sheet in the next couple of months but hopefully it could be an indicator that he's closer to senior status than I initially thought for a young striker who seems to have a serious eye for goal. Molumby and Richie Towell also came on

liamoo11
26/07/2017, 6:41 PM
O Shea and donnellan playing in the same West Brom side tonight as McLean and Wilson west bromm playing two games at same time!

John83
27/07/2017, 4:08 PM
You have completely derailed a promising thread. Well done.

St. Ledger isn't the next breakthrough player. He broke through already.
Oh well. Seeing as this thread has failed to fulfill its promise, which thread to people reckon is the next breakthrough thread? I'm betting on "Glenn Whelan to Wycombe?", myself.

CraftyToePoke
27/07/2017, 4:54 PM
Domestic Prospects thread for a big return is where the smart dollar is I hear.

mark12345
29/07/2017, 11:41 AM
Kevin Toner was the outstanding prospect in Villa's 4-0 win over Tamworth on Friday. The reporter assessed him as follows:

"He (Toner) was put under pressure early in the first half by the Tamworth attack but quickly recovered to take control,
Toner won important headers and led by example, shouting his orders at the rest of the back line.
He also looked cool and composed on the ball when he got forward and rarely looked like getting beat."

Quite a bit removed, I would think, from starting alongside John Terry in the heart of the Villa defence, or at left back where he played for Villa last year. But the future looks bright for the Meath man

mark12345
29/07/2017, 11:42 AM
Kevin Toner was the outstanding prospect in Villa's 4-0 win over Tamworth on Friday. The reporter assessed him as follows:

"He (Toner) was put under pressure early in the first half by the Tamworth attack but quickly recovered to take control,
Toner won important headers and led by example, shouting his orders at the rest of the back line.
He also looked cool and composed on the ball when he got forward and rarely looked like getting beat."

Quite a bit removed, I would think, from starting alongside John Terry in the heart of the Villa defence, or at left back where he played for Villa last year. But the future looks bright for the Meath man

Callum O'Hare also doing very well at the moment

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-callum-ohare-impressing-each-13402604

mark12345
29/07/2017, 11:48 AM
Brian Lenihan also doing well at Hull:

However, despite Slutsky having no other choice, Lenihan has grasped his chance with both hands. A few shaky moments are probably to be expected but most of the time the Irishman has looked a safe bet down the right, and it’s not as if he’s been facing poor opposition either.

"Better fullbacks have come undone against the likes of Ajax, Nantes and Benfica, but the 23-year-old more than held his ground.
With Slutsky not expecting a new left-back to arrive before Aston Villa, Lenihan could well be in line to start at Villa Park."

Olé Olé
29/07/2017, 11:52 AM
Callum O'Hare also doing very well at the moment

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-callum-ohare-impressing-each-13402604
Couldn't resist looking him up. A Solihull and John Mitchels man... don't tease us!

mark12345
29/07/2017, 12:16 PM
Couldn't resist looking him up. A Solihull and John Mitchels man... don't tease us!

Don't write him off. He's played Gaelic football for John Mitchell's in Birmingham.
That would suggest his lineage is (a) Polish (b) Portuguese (c) Italian (d) some other nationality

samhaydenjr
29/07/2017, 6:26 PM
Second goal in two games for Courtney Duffus, as he converted a penalty he won himself in the last minute against La Liga side, Girona: https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2017/july/27072017-oldham-athletic-vs.-girona-fc/

tetsujin1979
29/07/2017, 10:29 PM
Tyreke Wilson on the bench for Man City tonight against Spurs

samhaydenjr
30/07/2017, 1:37 AM
Ryan Sweeney an unused sub for Stoke against Bolton today: http://www.stokecityfc.com/news/joselu-brace-bags-bolton-win