PDA

View Full Version : Mick praises Thornton

beautifulrock
24/02/2005, 7:57 AM
From the Indo
" Mick heaps praise on Thornton

SUNDERLAND supremo Mick McCarthy has heaped praise on his enigmatic U21 Irish international Sean Thornton after the Drogheda youngster scored twice in Tuesday's 4-1 Championship win over Rotherham.

"Nobody has put more effort in than me to help Sean get there and I am delighted for him," said McCarthy.

"He will get the plaudits and he deserves them, and he may have started if he had not got booked for diving last week.

"He scored two great free-kicks and is terrific at dead balls. He is an asset to us when he is in the team, but he knows it is about all the other jobs that he needs to do.

"Running back, tracking, tackling, heading and scrapping are what he needs to do and he did it against Rotherham. We know he has got that in his locker and he is a good player. He should look at his overall performance and be proud of himself," added the former Ireland manager"

Nice to see we may have a free kick expert coming through. With defences so well organised these days it will be a vital weapon.

tetsujin1979
24/02/2005, 8:27 AM
Can't see him playing in the qualifiers, at least not until the autumn games. could make the step up to the senior squad for one of the friendlies, or the Celtic game.

On those lines, what does Alan Mahon have to do to get into the squad?? People talk about Steven Reid not getting his chance in the last game ahead of Barrett, Mahon's at least playing consistently, and scoring from midfield. Could even be a back up for Kilbane!

dr_peepee
24/02/2005, 11:41 AM
Sean Thornton is still only 20 or 21... There's plenty of time for him to make an impact..

4tothefloor
24/02/2005, 2:00 PM
The two free kicks he scored were sensational, especially the first one. He has the look of a McPhail\Mark Kennedy about him though, he needs to start playing consistantly or else he is just going to be another enigma

NeilMcD
24/02/2005, 3:58 PM
"Nobody has put more effort in than me to help Sean get there and I am delighted for him," said McCarthy.

.[/QUOTE]

Has Mc Carthy turned into David O Leary with a comment like that, talk about patting yourself on the back.

TheJamaicanP.M.
24/02/2005, 10:14 PM

Has Mc Carthy turned into David O Leary with a comment like that, talk about patting yourself on the back.[/QUOTE]

No, fair is fair. McCarthy deserves a lot of credit for getting Thornton's career back on track. All those early morning training sessions. Not too many managers would do it. Mick has once again proven himself to be an excellent man-manager.

Éanna
24/02/2005, 10:17 PM
Mick has once again proven himself to be an excellent man-manager.
waiting for the fish to bite at that worm :eek: :)

I agree btw

Superhoops
24/02/2005, 10:19 PM
waiting for the fish to bite at that worm :eek: :)

I agree btw
Maybe them Cork boys have gone to bed! :rolleyes:
BTW I also agree

Éanna
24/02/2005, 10:20 PM
Maybe them Cork boys have gone to bed! :rolleyes:
BTW I also agree
So i'm not a Cork boy or something? Is that the new thing now Roy is it?! :mad: ;)

pete
25/02/2005, 10:31 AM
"Nobody has put more effort in than me to help Sean get there and I am delighted for him," said McCarthy...

Self prasie is no praise.

:eek:

NeilMcD
25/02/2005, 11:55 AM
Yeah I agree it sounds like a David O Leary type comment.

brine3
26/02/2005, 5:53 PM
Mick is good at man-managing people he can get on with (for example, McAteer would die for him). He's **** at managing people he can't get on with. Unfortunately in management (especially international management) you have to deal with people you don't like like as well asl people you like.

ken foree
28/02/2005, 4:32 PM
i like thornton and have (perhaps too) high hopes for him. but their keeper, rotheram's wasn't it, was crap in that game sean scored the two frees in. not trying to take away from his overall performance, which mick mac said was very good, but let's see him do it consistently against better sides and eventually in the prem if that's possible :ball: :ball: