PDA

View Full Version : Wales v. Republic of Ireland - Monday, 9th October 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

DannyInvincible
05/07/2017, 1:09 PM
This match has been confirmed for the Cardiff City Stadium: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0704/887683-ireland-to-face-wales-at-cardiff-city-stadium/

The Republic of Ireland's final World Cup qualifier against Wales will not take place at the Principality Stadium, and will instead be played at the nearby Cardiff City Stadium, it has been confirmed.

backstothewall
05/07/2017, 11:14 PM
Any word on tickets? Unlikely as it is that i get them, I have to be seen to try!

DannyInvincible
18/09/2017, 5:31 PM
The FAI received over 9,000 applications for the 3,500 away tickets allocated to them for this game: http://www.punditarena.com/football/sokeefe/monstrous-number-ireland-cardiff/

tetsujin1979
18/09/2017, 5:45 PM
nice of PunditArena to link the source: http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mnt-ticket-update-for-wales-game

IsMiseSean
19/09/2017, 12:30 PM
Everyone should be notified by the end of today. I'm not holding out much hope though.

jbyrne
19/09/2017, 7:15 PM
didnt get the one ticket i applied for. recent away record not good so not surprised

Stuttgart88
19/09/2017, 8:19 PM
Me too, others deserve it more.

thebronze14
20/09/2017, 4:06 PM
Got my ticket...Been to Moldova, Vienna Tbilisi this campaign and Tbilisi and Warsaw last one and Glasgow but got a ticket through a friend. It's going to be the weirdest away match in a while given the proximity and the fact that we mightn't know what is at stake when the game kicks off. We mightn't know whether we have guaranteed second until the next day

jbyrne
20/09/2017, 5:11 PM
I cant really argue about missing out except for one issue. The email I received said...

Supporters who attended four or more away games (Scotland not included) across both this WCQ campaign and the Euro 2016 Qualifying Campaign received priority in the allocation process.

one of the selling points for the season ticket is given as priority for away match tickets. assuming those who travelled to 4 or more aways, as stated above, are also season ticket holders I have zero issue but id hate to think I lost out to someone who picks and chooses home matches and travelled to a few aways. there must be some way of taking into account attending countless friendlies especially when the FAI state that it should be taken into account when trying to flog season tickets.

if I didn't have a decent away record I wouldn't be penning this but I did have until a couple of campaigns ago.

OwlsFan
20/09/2017, 6:39 PM
I agree. Surely the FAI makes more out of home matches than away games. What financial benefit does the FAI make out of someone attending the game in Georgia for example as opposed to a home friendly against Iceland. I go to all home games and a fair few away games but there should be some points system for attending home games as well.

thebronze14
20/09/2017, 9:34 PM
I agree. Surely the FAI makes more out of home matches than away games. What financial benefit does the FAI make out of someone attending the game in Georgia for example as opposed to a home friendly against Iceland. I go to all home games and a fair few away games but there should be some points system for attending home games as well.

They say there is a system with Fans direct. originally they said a home game was worth 10, away 20 and a ST worth 70. Sadly they won't tell anyone their points and there is still no transparency. We're the only 'home' nation that refuses to do this

nigel-harps1954
20/09/2017, 9:42 PM
Sadly they won't tell anyone their points and there is still no transparency.

If only this were confined to ticketing.

Fizzer
23/09/2017, 11:53 PM
Good to see Hennessy conceding loads in a team in free fall.hopefully his confidence will be low when we meet.

DannyInvincible
24/09/2017, 3:01 AM
He's a flaky enough keeper as it is. I thought his attempt earlier today to keep out Aguero's headed goal was pretty lame. You can see it at 15 seconds in the video here: https://twitter.com/KontenSingkat/status/911761983807950848

Fizzer
24/09/2017, 11:15 AM
Yep some poor positioning,hopefully we'll have the capacity to actually get some shots on target.we need to go all out for a win so you'd expect an attacking set up

nigel-harps1954
30/09/2017, 9:25 PM
Gareth Bale is an injury doubt for this game. Calf strain.

Fizzer
30/09/2017, 11:03 PM
Another four conceded by Hennessy,couple of decent saves but at least one instance of bad positioning for one goal.looks to be a long painful season heading for the drop for palace,our frontmen couldn't face him at a worse time (for him)

paul_oshea
01/10/2017, 12:02 AM
Me too, others deserve it more.

Thanks

paul_oshea
01/10/2017, 12:03 AM
Got my ticket...Been to Moldova, Vienna Tbilisi this campaign and Tbilisi and Warsaw last one and Glasgow but got a ticket through a friend. It's going to be the weirdest away match in a while given the proximity and the fact that we mightn't know what is at stake when the game kicks off. We mightn't know whether we have guaranteed second until the next day

Dont worry we wont have to worry about any of that

DannyInvincible
01/10/2017, 5:57 PM
Gareth Bale is an injury doubt for this game. Calf strain.

Aye, he has been omitted from Real Madrid's squad to face Espanyol tonight: http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/gareth-bale-injury-wales-ireland-11270465

He hasn't participated in full training since picking up the injury against Borussia Dortmund during the week. Zidane has played down its seriousness though.

Speaking at a press conference ahead of today's clash the Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane said the problem isn't too serious but is taking no risks.

He said: "It is a strain, so nothing too significant.

"But, as always, when a player has even a small problem then we don't want to risk it.

"As for him playing for his national team [next week], I don't think there will be any issue between Real Madrid and Wales.

"It will depend on his injury niggles and his state of fitness, nothing else.

DannyInvincible
01/10/2017, 6:41 PM
'Ireland fans already being turfed out of seats for next month’s World Cup qualifier in Wales – after ignoring ticket warnings': https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/1604500/ireland-fans-already-being-turfed-out-of-seats-for-next-months-world-cup-qualifier-in-wales-after-ignoring-ticket-warnings/

Earlier this month we exclusively revealed that the Welsh FA warned any Irish supporter found to be snapping up tickets in the home end will be booted out of the stadium by security.

And desperate fans trying to purchase tickets for the home end have had their accounts blocked after the Welsh FA noticed they were Irish.

I recall the Scottish FA warned of booting Ireland fans out of the home section of Celtic Park when we played Scotland in 2014 but the words turned out to be empty threats. It wouldn't have been remotely practical to boot thousands of Irish fans out of the home section. There wasn't even any need to conceal our colours; it was fine.

I would imagine the situation will be the same on the 9th and that the Welsh FA are just scaremongering in order to discourage Irish fans from purchasing tickets in the home areas of the ground.

Philly
03/10/2017, 9:52 AM
Bale has been ruled out with injury.

Diggs246
03/10/2017, 10:32 AM
That's might just be the bit of luck we need

TrapAPony
03/10/2017, 11:30 AM
Still think we'll find a way to draw. We never/rarely seem to take the opportunities that are given to us.

Stuttgart88
03/10/2017, 11:44 AM
Bale has been ruled out with injury.A Bale Out with the full support of every man, woman and child in Ireland. Fianna Fail never delivered that.

Diggs246
03/10/2017, 12:04 PM
This might be a silly one, but with the way FIFA are playing this one, if Georgia and wales draw and if we were to only draw with Moldova and then beat Wales would we be in the same position, as if we beat Moldova?

DeLorean
03/10/2017, 12:21 PM
This might be a silly one, but with the way FIFA are playing this one, if Georgia and wales draw and if we were to only draw with Moldova and then beat Wales would we be in the same position, as if we beat Moldova?

That sounds right to me, assuming Moldova don't leapfrog Georgia in the final games.

geysir
03/10/2017, 12:38 PM
That sounds right to me, assuming Moldova don't leapfrog Georgia in the final games.
That would be a safe assumption to make, even in these unpredictable times of turmoil.
Moldova would have to overcome a 3 point deficit and a 12 goal difference in the last round of games.

DeLorean
03/10/2017, 3:15 PM
Suspension Watch:

Players one yellow card away from being suspended for the game in Cardiff.

Wales

Chester
Davies
King
Ledley
Ramsey
Richards (injured)
Robson-Kanu
Williams

Ireland

Christie
Coleman (injured)
Duffy
McGeady
Meyler
Walters (injured)
Ward
Whelan

Olé Olé
03/10/2017, 4:14 PM
Looking back over the squad and I'm still in shock O'Neill has no obvious alternative to Christie in there. I thought he was absolutely atrocious against Serbia.

colonelwest
03/10/2017, 4:16 PM
'Ireland fans already being turfed out of seats for next month’s World Cup qualifier in Wales – after ignoring ticket warnings': https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/1604500/ireland-fans-already-being-turfed-out-of-seats-for-next-months-world-cup-qualifier-in-wales-after-ignoring-ticket-warnings/

I recall the Scottish FA warned of booting Ireland fans out of the home section of Celtic Park when we played Scotland in 2014 but the words turned out to be empty threats. It wouldn't have been remotely practical to boot thousands of Irish fans out of the home section. There wasn't even any need to conceal our colours; it was fine.

I would imagine the situation will be the same on the 9th and that the Welsh FA are just scaremongering in order to discourage Irish fans from purchasing tickets in the home areas of the ground.

Couple of people I know have outright had orders/ tickets bought in the home end via Wales memberships to Irish addresses cancelled and refunded last week and now even people with Wales memberships and no previous purchase history with UK addresses have been told each person a ticket is for and the person who bought them need to collect at the stadium and show passport/ photo ID so anyone with an Irish passport/ accent is absolutely goosed. I've seen the emails so it's legit and not just scaremongering. They didn't post tickets out beforehand as normally would be the case.

Fixer82
03/10/2017, 4:22 PM
Looking back over the squad and I'm still in shock O'Neill has no obvious alternative to Christie in there. I thought he was absolutely atrocious against Serbia.

He should have Doherty in the squad but he’ll throw Meyler in there if Christie gets injured

Olé Olé
03/10/2017, 6:13 PM
He should have Doherty in the squad but he’ll throw Meyler in there if Christie gets injured

He will indeed. I'm more worried about the fact that Christie has no challenge for his spot until Seamie returns. His ignorance towards Doherty is baffling.

DannyInvincible
03/10/2017, 11:30 PM
Couple of people I know have outright had orders/ tickets bought in the home end via Wales memberships to Irish addresses cancelled and refunded last week and now even people with Wales memberships and no previous purchase history with UK addresses have been told each person a ticket is for and the person who bought them need to collect at the stadium and show passport/ photo ID so anyone with an Irish passport/ accent is absolutely goosed. I've seen the emails so it's legit and not just scaremongering. They didn't post tickets out beforehand as normally would be the case.

Aye, I'm aware of that. The article from which I quoted actually went into a bit of detail on it. This was an example of an email received by an Irish supporter trying to buy tickets in the home end:

https://www.thesun.ie/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/09/nintchdbpict0003569410401.jpg?strip=all&quality=100&w=738

I was thinking that those who did manage to get tickets for the home end and showed up on the day would be OK (as the FAW won't have an opportunity to re-sell confiscated tickets so close to kick-off), but maybe not.

Stuttgart88
04/10/2017, 7:56 PM
Looking back over the squad and I'm still in shock O'Neill has no obvious alternative to Christie in there. I thought he was absolutely atrocious against Serbia.I actually like Christie but the continuous Doherty omissions make me hugely mistrust O'Neill's judgment.

DannyInvincible
05/10/2017, 12:03 AM
'Welsh View: Ireland Will Lose to Dragons’ X-Factor': http://pogmogoal.com/republic-of-ireland/welsh-view-ireland-will-lose-to-dragons-x-factor/25078/

mark12345
05/10/2017, 1:11 AM

Difficult to fathom what Doherty has to do to get into the squad.
He's playing some very good football for Wolves.

geysir
05/10/2017, 11:35 AM
'Welsh View: Ireland Will Lose to Dragons’ X-Factor': http://pogmogoal.com/republic-of-ireland/welsh-view-ireland-will-lose-to-dragons-x-factor/25078/

He (Pitman) should have at least paid some homage to the Roy Keane reply when asked about the game against Wales - it's the next game that matters.

DannyInvincible
05/10/2017, 11:48 AM
He (Pitman) should have at least paid some homage to the Roy Keane reply when asked about the game against Wales - it's the next game that matters.

I do think Wales are getting slightly ahead of themselves if they're assuming they're going to take three points in Georgia, especially after having already dropped points against them in Cardiff.

shakermaker1982
05/10/2017, 7:22 PM
If we try and do what we did away to Scotland then we might as well not turn up.

Playing smart football could get us the 3 points we need. Cool heads needed.

colonelwest
05/10/2017, 7:45 PM
Aye, I'm aware of that. The article from which I quoted actually went into a bit of detail on it. This was an example of an email received by an Irish supporter trying to buy tickets in the home end:

https://www.thesun.ie/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/09/nintchdbpict0003569410401.jpg?strip=all&quality=100&w=738

I was thinking that those who did manage to get tickets for the home end and showed up on the day would be OK (as the FAW won't have an opportunity to re-sell confiscated tickets so close to kick-off), but maybe not.

Aye, I know a few who are taking the chance and doing that, luckily myself and my lot got sorted in the away end. Either way a weekend away on the lash, even if end up watching it in a pub sure. Never any trouble with us but can see where the FAW are coming from to be fair, technically they're correct in what they're doing. If it wasn't the last game and happened in the early part of the qualifiers I can't see them giving as much of a ****e about it, was plenty of Welsh dotted around Landsdowne earlier in the year and no bother happened.

elroy
07/10/2017, 12:36 AM
Going over on Monday in hope rather than expectation on the tickets front. No sign of any so far. Real shame from our perspective it's not on in the millennium

Colbert Report
07/10/2017, 7:36 AM
Let's see some predicted starting lineups. Obviously Brady and McClean will come back into the starting lineup and I think we can all agree that O'Dowda will be dropped and it is unlikely that Hoolahan will be anything other than a second half substitute.

Here's what I think Martin O'Neill will go with:

--------------Randolph
Christie----Duffy---Clark-----Ward
-----Hendrick-----Meyler-------
Long---------Brady-------McClean
-----------Murphy

Diggs246
07/10/2017, 9:33 AM
I think he might drop long to the bench. Bring in arter in a 5 man mid field

kennedmc
07/10/2017, 10:58 AM
Let's see some predicted starting lineups. Obviously Brady and McClean will come back into the starting lineup and I think we can all agree that O'Dowda will be dropped and it is unlikely that Hoolahan will be anything other than a second half substitute.

--------------Randolph
-----------Murphy

dont like that team. Brady can't play in that role - he's not good enough - needs to play left back / left wing.

id worry about our ball retention too - Wes for Brady -
also wouldn't start arter - l like him but I don't trust his composure in such a big game

seanfhear
07/10/2017, 2:50 PM
I am one of Shane Long’s biggest admirers but is it too much pressure on the man considering the goalscoring form he is in ?

Olé Olé
07/10/2017, 2:53 PM
Don't think Long will get the nod. Think Arter will come in and Hendrick will move up to 8.

mark12345
07/10/2017, 2:56 PM

--------------Randolph
-----------Murphy

Who would be your counterweights to Ramsey and Joe Allen? They'll dictate the play all night long if they are not challenged. And Hendrick and Meyler certainly won't mix it up with them. Arter will. There is a slight risk with his temperament but we're going to need something in the middle to disrupt long bouts of Welsh possession. Ashley Williams has more than enough about him to negate Murphy, so it's going to be down to a McClean, O'dowda or Brady to find the net for Ireland

backstothewall
07/10/2017, 3:14 PM
My team for Monday

--------- Randolph ---------
Christie Duffy Clark Brady
----- Meyler Hendrick -----
Long - Hoolahan - McClean
---------- Murphy ----------

elroy
07/10/2017, 3:18 PM
My team for Monday

--------- Randolph ---------
Christie Duffy Clark Brady
----- Meyler Hendrick -----
Long - Hoolahan - McClean
---------- Murphy ----------

I like that team but ward has done little wrong to be dropped. For me, Brady is over hyped, his set piece delivery is not as good as is proclaimed and has gone missing in a few games this campaign, notably Austria at home. He should be one of our big players and we need a massive game from him on Monday.

Overall on paper we are as good if not better than the Welsh team. Is winning in Wales more difficult than winning in Austria, think not.