PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision Uberthread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Green Tribe
24/02/2005, 12:35 AM
Who do u think should represent Ireland in the Eurovision this year in the Ukraine? If we seriously want Ireland to win, The Henry Girls HAVE to go. Europe will fall for the traditional/instrumental theme and they are excellent singers. Pete Fagan, a guy with a guitar, this has not worked recently. Unfortunately, even if u have a good song/singer, u have to be quite lively and dramatic to win this contest. It kind of helps nowadays also to have plenty of continental neighbours and not be an island, preferably be one of the Balkan countries. I seriously hope the brother sister mcCauls(or something) don't go, they were shocking singing an elvis combination, it scared the sh*te out of me :eek: and monsieur Wogan would rip them apart.
Henry girls- please vote for them :D :D

Forza Donegal!!!!!!!! :D

Hibs4Ever
24/02/2005, 7:55 AM
Watched it every year without fail. No more thought. The Eastern european countries are taking the p*ss with their voting. Although I won a fair few quid last 3 years betting that Greece and Cyprus would give each other 12 points. It's a banker this year too

Babysis
24/02/2005, 8:42 AM
Was always an excuse for a huge session at uni. Load of us would stock up on a huge amount of cheap wine/beer and snacks and all pile into someones room. Watch it, get wasted, then head in to Brighton to carry on the night. happy days :D

Eire06
24/02/2005, 9:13 AM
haven't watched euro star yet this year but heard there was a good group with a harp and all.. ment to be the best of a bad bunch.. will have to tune in this weekend to see what the craic is...
Is it true Jordan in goin for the english version?? :confused:

Peadar
24/02/2005, 9:21 AM
Is it true Jordan in goin for the english version?? :confused:

She will have to battle it out with five other hopefuls in a live TV Eurovision Vote on the BBC's show Make Your Mind Up on March 5th

Jim Smith
24/02/2005, 9:29 AM
l.. ment to be the best of a bad bunch..
It a master-stroke by RTE:

1) People are strangely sucked into watching cheap rubbish - I'm as guilty as everyone else.
2) I'm pretty sure that they will get a cut of the phone revenue.
3) They don't have to worry about the financial implications of actually winning the thing.

All they are short of are the deluded fools that pop up on American Idol and the show would be complete :eek:

Maz
24/02/2005, 12:24 PM
Loved the Eurovision when we used to win! The year the Quinn girl won it, everything seemed to go down hill. You're a Star is muck, people are voting for who they know and who they fancy. Its not about singing any more, its a stage show (just look at last years). If you're willing to spend money on costumes etc then grand you have a chance but not with one man and his guitar or girls with violins.
The best of a bad lot is the McCauls, they have talent but just not the full package.

Lionel Ritchie
24/02/2005, 5:40 PM
Hope we never win it again, hope we finish last and don't qualify for the next one, am generally embarrassed (mercifully rare occasions now) when we do well and wouldn't have Ireland involved if it were up to me. Have watched the voting in the past -just til I'm sure Ireland are dead in the water and then tune out. Shameful waste of money. :mad: :cool:

mypost
25/02/2005, 2:40 AM
Who do u think should represent Ireland in the Eurovision this year in the Ukraine? If we seriously want Ireland to win, The Henry Girls HAVE to go. Europe will fall for the traditional/instrumental theme and they are excellent singers. Pete Fagan, a guy with a guitar, this has not worked recently. Unfortunately, even if u have a good song/singer, u have to be quite lively and dramatic to win this contest. It kind of helps nowadays also to have plenty of continental neighbours and not be an island, preferably be one of the Balkan countries. I seriously hope the brother sister mcCauls(or something) don't go, they were shocking singing an elvis combination, it scared the sh*te out of me :eek: and monsieur Wogan would rip them apart.
Henry girls- please vote for them :D :D

RTE promised us a different take on YAS this year, and what did we get? The same format as before, with schoolkids voting for their local representative in the show. The special show, where the public could choose the Eurovision song after the performer was selected, has been cancelled. :(

Only 10 countries in the ESC semi-final, qualify for the ESC final, and as we're up against all the Balkan, and Baltic countries who vote for their neighbours, it will take a great song, and performance from our ESC performers in the semi-final to have any chance of making the final 2 nights later. I think if we send the brother and sister, with Jade as the backing dancers, and an upbeat, vibrant, pop song with good choreography, it may make an impression on European televoters. That's what you need to do well in Eurovision now.

And RTE, whatever you do, don't even attempt to ask anyone to write slow ballads for the YAS winner to sing in ESC this year. If we send a ballad to Eurovision after last year's disaster, noone in Europe will vote for us. :mad:

Pauro 76
25/02/2005, 7:27 AM
Ah sure the Eurovision is a bit of craic... thought we were relegated for a year cos we finished so badly though? We've got it wrong for the last two years, guys with guitars and white suits just do not work, what the European audiences seem to demand is the tackiest show for 3 minutes with as much as flesh displayed as possible!!! Have to say love Terry Wogan's commentary on it though on the Beeb.... Apparantly Australia covered the event one year with Wogan commentating from a BBC link, they did their own link the next year and they were so ****ed off they wanted that "sarky Irish bloke" back doing commentary!!!

Lionel Ritchie
25/02/2005, 9:22 AM
Not so sure about that. I know it costs RTE a fortune, but to advertise a country across every major station in Europe for a few hours on a night would cost a lot more. When you think how much Riverdance made out of it, it's pretty cheap, only problem is that was a private venture. It's a bit like the Olympics on a miniature scale, economically it's not viable, but you'll never commend the attention of an international audience by pumping money into Fair City....

For what purpose? Tourism? Because the tourism dividend thing (How many of you scratched yeer chins after Latvia won and said "y'know Latvia might be nice this summer") is one of the biggest lies foisted on this country down the years regarding the exchequer flushing money into our participation in Eurovision -which as you rightly point out -benefits only private individuals or enterprises -be they Riverdance or that witch Linda Martin moving up a rung from from pub gigs and wedding receptions to corporate do's.

town73
25/02/2005, 9:55 AM
The only way to watch Eurovision is to do a sweep in the pub. Great excuse.

Green Tribe
25/02/2005, 11:22 AM
enjoying all the comments to my thread, yes indeed, to win the grand trophy, u have to jump around(preferably being a flesh-revealing human who is easy on the eye) and be dramatic and repeat the same line all the time. shame! i think the rules should state the countries must sing in their own language( countries such as belgium or switzerland can choose one of theirs) and i would love to see more traditional music(instrumental) from each country(uk would be lost :confused: ) :D the fact that a lot of the countries sing in english(sometimes with a dodgy accent) ruins it, some languages are beautiful sung(spanish, russian etc) i have been listening to some of the already selected songs , not too bad some of them, but Albania takes the biscuit, it is shocking, Bulgaria is really westernized boy-band :eek: and cyprus is a copycat hilarious version of the greek entry last year. actually turkey's song reminds me of the ukraine's winning song last year, but the singer is better than ukraine.i heard jordan singing, jaysus, not good at all! ok...u are all sleeping now......sorry :D :D

Green Tribe
25/02/2005, 5:32 PM
they are jade, they are still in it. two sets of sisters, i think the henry girls are better though. more likely to win. if u check on the rte website look for you're a star, u can listen to their songs, read about it. :eek: :D

CollegeTillIDie
25/02/2005, 10:47 PM
RTE promised us a different take on YAS this year, and what did we get? The same format as before, with schoolkids voting for their local representative in the show. The special show, where the public could choose the Eurovision song after the performer was selected, has been cancelled. :(

Only 10 countries in the ESC semi-final, qualify for the ESC final, and as we're up against all the Balkan, and Baltic countries who vote for their neighbours, it will take a great song, and performance from our ESC performers in the semi-final to have any chance of making the final 2 nights later. I think if we send the brother and sister, with Jade as the backing dancers, and an upbeat, vibrant, pop song with good choreography, it may make an impression on European televoters. That's what you need to do well in Eurovision now.

And RTE, whatever you do, don't even attempt to ask anyone to write slow ballads for the YAS winner to sing in ESC this year. If we send a ballad to Eurovision after last year's disaster, noone in Europe will vote for us. :mad:

As regards last year's entry even the songwriter Brian McFadden said the song was not very good. Enough said. If you pick a poor song with no dramatics you're screwed. Given that it is Eurovision you have to expect a poor quality of song. However the song poor and all as it may be has to have a selling point.

What we need to even reach the final this year would be something with a rap bit in Irish in the middle of it :D

onenilgameover
27/02/2005, 4:14 AM
Its great and its gettin better....The brother and sis combo have to go...with the right image and song they could do well...everyone else left are pants.......

Green Tribe
27/02/2005, 4:18 AM
Its great and its gettin better....The brother and sis combo have to go...with the right image and song they could do well...everyone else left are pants.......

oh my god u must be drunk , are u serious? :D those 2 ? did u see them destroy an elvis song last week? i was dying watching it. we would be the laughing stock of europe if they went and terry wogan would rip the pish completely :eek: :eek: don't ya think? why u still awake? what is ur excuse? :D

Green Tribe
01/03/2005, 12:29 AM
well, i still think the henry girls should go to the eurovision, they need votes, there are too many teeny-boppers voting for the milky-bar kid and his mother :eek: they are good singers(ballads) but their type of song and look will not win eurovision. jade are ok, but again i think they will not suit a winning eurovision song please next sunday vote henry girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Green Tribe
01/03/2005, 1:02 AM
I wont be watching or voting......;)

:eek: u have to vote for Ireland and the henry girls to actually get there! :D

mypost
01/03/2005, 3:22 AM
So YAS's quarter-final resulted in the final male soloist eliminated. This year will be the first time we'll have female performers in ESC since the Bronagh sisters went to Jerusalem in '99, got 12 points from the first jury, Lithuania, before the rest of Europe woke up, and handed them just 6 more points. Our best chance of doing well at last year's contest went when Jean Elliot went out in the YAS semi-final. Her song was upbeat, catchy, just what's needed in Eurovision. Instead we sent an awful ballad, written in half-a-night by an inexperienced songwriter, and which was a total embarrassment compared to what Greece, Serbia, Bosnia, and Ukraine performed in the contest.

Sorry, but I don't think the Henry Girls cut the Eurovision mustard somehow. They've been on the verge of elimination twice in the past three weeks, because they're drab, and boring. A surefire way to not qualify for the final. As most of our Eurovision successes have been from female performers, I think that Jade might be best suited to go, from who's left in YAS. However, I think the McCauls will probably win it. With the right song and performance, they may make an impression, but they'll need help from backing performers to carry it off, and Jade may support them that way.

More than half of the countries in this year's Eurovision, have chosen their entries. Last weekend saw Russia and Ukraine, amongst others, choose their entries, even though there are suspicions that the votes were rigged in both countries. The Maltese artist was chosen during a power failure, and the venue for this year's contest is still under construction also.

UK and Ireland choose their participants this weekend, so good luck to Gina G, and Jade. :)

Aberdonian Stu
01/03/2005, 9:54 AM
The Ukrainian song is one they used as an anthem for the protests by Yuschenko supporters. Be surprised if it's rigged as they would have got plenty of publicity over there.

Green Tribe
01/03/2005, 5:15 PM
The Ukrainian song is one they used as an anthem for the protests by Yuschenko supporters. Be surprised if it's rigged as they would have got plenty of publicity over there.

Putin won't be watching it then! :D

onenilgameover
01/03/2005, 8:20 PM
Kerr's tribe..wrote

oh my god u must be drunk , are u serious? those 2 ? did u see them destroy an elvis song last week? i was dying watching it. we would be the laughing stock of europe if they went and terry wogan would rip the pish completely don't ya think? why u still awake? what is ur excuse?

I work nights is why I'm awake...not sure I saw the elvis song...I did see them when Linda '''im a bloke'' Martin ripped into them and D Fanning thought they where good. I reckon with the right song right Dancin and getting up from their little seats quickly and on the right note. Yeah defo...gotta get away from this man sings with guitar...stupid Oirish girl rock band or some crap idea get back to the our routes ye know where we came from Dana and all that...Come on ireland! Bring on the midget Siblings!

Green Tribe
01/03/2005, 8:35 PM
:D ok, well, if they go( milky-bar kid and his mum) they cannot let them dance, seriously, log on to rte.ie and you're a star and watch the edition from the 20th of feb i think . the elvis combo! :eek: :D

Green Tribe
01/03/2005, 11:53 PM

i have just listened to it, it is a kind of rap thing(strong ukrainian accent) and they actually chant yushenko da/yes etc!! :eek: i did not think they would be able to get away with political songs in the fairy wonderland that is eurovision :confused:

any sad eurovision fan like myself can spend hours crying and laughing at old irish and this year's entries
http://www.keithm.utvinternet.ie/05NFs.htm

:D

onenilgameover
02/03/2005, 3:47 AM
I just seemed like they had potential and I didn't really think the others had anything. You need to have something different that sets you apart from the rest. The fact that they are brother and sister and that they're small and they can sing makes them favs to go through and it looks like the country thinks so too and we've proven we know our eurovision. I don't think the You're a star thing is helping are chances at all though.

mypost
05/03/2005, 4:21 AM
i have just listened to it, they actually chant yushenko da/yes etc!! :eek: i did not think they would be able to get away with political songs in the fairy wonderland that is eurovision :confused:

It looks like they won't. The EBU are looking into it, they'll have the final say if it can be allowed in the ESC.

Moving back home, the Eurovision songs for the YAS semi-final, and final have been announced. Jade's song looks good however, not so good for the boring Henry Girls, and as for the McCauls, it's Chris Doran Mark II for them. From the song title, it appears to be a ballad. :mad:

Green Tribe
05/03/2005, 12:28 PM
must have a look on the website, all this news and i did not know!! :rolleyes: :D :D :D

the uk final is on today as well as you're a star this weekend. will be hilarious if they pick jordan, she will be 6 months pregnant in may when she sings!!! she will look like a beached whale and maybe her t*ts will burst on stage! :D :D

Green Tribe
05/03/2005, 6:13 PM
i just watched the uk entries live, jordan was badly out of tune and i think she knew it, awful! for me the only good song capable of winning was javine, but prob jordan will go through cos she is so famous, the big tart! :eek: the irish final has started, waiting to hear the songs on the net, pls vote the hery girls !!! :D :D

Green Tribe
05/03/2005, 6:45 PM
call 0905 0815007 from uk/northern ireland for henry girls

from ireland send text 'vote henry' to 53600
or call 1513 717 107

go on!!!!!!!
:D :D

Maz
05/03/2005, 6:57 PM
they're muck!! as for jade they shouted the whole way through their song!
Go on the McCauls!

Green Tribe
05/03/2005, 7:03 PM
Grrrrrr! ;) :D

Green Tribe
05/03/2005, 7:48 PM
well, javine is going for the uk, it is a good song, capable of winning, and she can sing, jordan seems to be fuming, nobody to laugh at now this year at eurov. i really hope ireland can send an even better one!! i heard jade's it is awful, still waiting to hear the other 2! keep voting!!

Green Tribe
05/03/2005, 8:46 PM
FFS! that is all i can say, the henry girls were eliminated , now it is between, the rock chicks who cannot sing and the milky bar kid and his momma, their song is very eurovision though, but they do have an image problem(awful thing to say i know, but he looks like a wee 10 yr old geek, i voted so much for the henry girls :mad: i give up.................

mypost
06/03/2005, 6:35 AM
Thank Christ that the Corrs Mark II are heading home to Donegal at long last. :) Looks like the McCauls are going to Kiev. :mad: In fairness, their song isn't bad, well better than last year. C'mon Jade!! :)

onenilgameover
06/03/2005, 8:45 AM
Yes! The Miget siblings are the best...Didn't see it but I'd say they were good....We know our eurovision! ''Henry girls.... Your're havin a laugh'' Ciao

Green Tribe
06/03/2005, 1:38 PM
the mcCauls song is alright, but compare it to the uk entry, they have no chance :rolleyes: so far i like the entries from uk :eek: , austria(it has yodelling in it, it is hilarious), malta, Poland(good chance to win) and Turkey is not bad either. And guess what, a lot of the good songs have traditional instruments and folk-style music!!!! unlike what some people in ireland have chosen!!!!! :mad: :mad:

De Town
06/03/2005, 2:24 PM
Is there anywhere online you can listen to the other countries songs :confused:

Green Tribe
06/03/2005, 2:33 PM
any sad eurovision fan like myself can spend hours crying and laughing at old irish and this year's entries
http://www.keithm.utvinternet.ie/05NFs.htm

:D

have fun, check out the austrian!!! :eek: :D

De Town
06/03/2005, 2:37 PM
have fun, check out the austrian!!! :eek: :D
Cheers :)

Green Tribe
06/03/2005, 9:09 PM
Yes, indeed the Milky bar kid and his momma have won and they are(God help us) going to represent us in eurovision. the song grows on u, at least we will get points for it being lively, i am glad they went and not jade. the henry girls must be so pi55ed off :mad:

lopez
07/03/2005, 12:27 AM
Anyone see Jordan on the BBC British Qualifier? F*cking quality with her out of tune singing . Had to ring up and give her my vote. Sadly, someone who CAN sing will be representing the YooKay. :(

Green Tribe
07/03/2005, 12:31 AM
Anyone see Jordan on the BBC British Qualifier? F*cking quality with her out of tune singing . Had to ring up and give her my vote. Sadly, someone who CAN sing will be representing the YooKay. :(

it was hilarious, she looked uncomfortable, i think even she knew she was badly out if tune and she looked like miss piggy in that rotten outfit.. :D

lopez
07/03/2005, 12:38 AM
it was hilarious, she looked uncomfortable, i think even she knew she was badly out if tune and she looked like miss piggy in that rotten outfit.. :DIf she won she would have been 8 months pregnant in Kiev. :eek: That would have been some contestant.

Green Tribe
07/03/2005, 12:41 AM
If she won she would have been 8 months pregnant in Kiev. :eek: That would have been some contestant.

yup, that is one big heifer :D :D :D

Babysis
07/03/2005, 8:30 AM
it was hilarious, she looked uncomfortable, i think even she knew she was badly out if tune and she looked like miss piggy in that rotten outfit.. :D

Thats exactly what we said about her. She looked awful (more so than usual). As for Javine and her "accidental" popping out of her dress, go way. Yet another publicity stunt, and this time it worked for her.

Eire06
07/03/2005, 8:38 AM
Watched for the first time last night..
oh my god where did they get the brother and sister that won it from..soo dodgy.. The song is horrible pure euro vision trip and there attempt at a riverdance style thing in the middle looks more like a country and western barn dance... How embarrasing thought chris was bad last year but that is just horrific..

The Girl band should have won, liked the whole rock chick thing they were trying to do.. Even though they did look like a cheaper version of Girls aloud ( Ya I know but they managed to look cheaper and tackier than them).. They were good in comparison..
Has the ginger f***ers voice broken yet and someone please tell him to take out that earring.. Bet there from the midlands somewhere Meath ot Athlone or somewhere seriously dodgy, Roscommon maybe? anyone let me know

lopez
07/03/2005, 8:56 AM
Watched for the first time last night..
oh my god where did they get the brother and sister that won it from..soo dodgy.. The song is horrible pure euro vision trip and there attempt at a riverdance style thing in the middle looks more like a country and western barn dance... How embarrasing thought chris was bad last year but that is just horrific..Sounds like RTE don't want to win it...again. Bit like Father Ted and Dougal with their: 'My Lovely Horse.' :D

Lionel Ritchie
07/03/2005, 9:01 AM
Sounds like RTE don't want to win it...again. Bit like Father Ted and Dougal with their: 'My Lovely Horse.' :D

:) Indeed!!!

Irlande -nil pwah!!!! We're dead in the water -just like I like it. Yesssssssssss!!!!!!!! :D

Eire06
07/03/2005, 9:07 AM
Sounds like RTE don't want to win it...again. Bit like Father Ted and Dougal with their: 'My Lovely Horse.' :D
I think that would have a better chance..