PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision Uberthread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16

Green Tribe
24/04/2007, 11:43 PM
When is it on?

Semi-Final is 10th May, but we are already in the final which is on 12th May.

Check out Greece entry (sounds terribly american in english)
Extremely camp but hilarious! May get good votes if he pulls off a lively performance, but he is such a bad dancer :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N52gQc1embQ

mypost
10/05/2007, 11:45 AM
Eurovision continues in Finland tonight, the semi final sees us sit oit out this year. While our sing is one of the tepid outsiders, there are other quality, vibrant songs, especially from Cyprus, and Greece, while Portugal and Norway will keep latin lovers happy. No monster trash this year, replaced by draq queen trash. After last year's crimes against music, Finland's song has returned to respectability. Czech Republic and Georgia are the debutants, Austria and Hungary return after a year's break, Monaco have pulled out. Portugal and Macedonia will fight it out in the glamour stakes. Next year there will be 2 semi-finals, and 2 weeks later than this year. The voting/butchering system remains in place, ensuring an uphill struggle for Dervish to remain in the top 10.

2 nights, 42 countries, live on RTE and BBC, we're off again. :)

paul_oshea
10/05/2007, 2:26 PM
john waters. legend.

onenilgameover
10/05/2007, 10:57 PM
holding judgement on our effort...very average semi-final...

Ukraine to walk away with it...

They have the lines...

To dance or not to dance..???
..its not a question....
dont live to dance
DANCE TO LIVE....

Lordi step aside...we have a new winner...

The Sweden song seems alright...

The Serbs have some weird butch lesbian v 5 hot lesbians vibe goin' on (which is very odd)

...and thats about it really....

we obviously dont wanna win this thing anytime soon....

Magicme
11/05/2007, 8:06 AM
I thought Poland were a shoe in with their Christina Aguleria (sorry dont like her enough to know how to spell her) meets Black Eyed Peas effort!

Green Tribe
12/05/2007, 3:48 PM
Oh I can't wait, not long now ! I think Ireland have a great placing in no.4 cos the audience is still quite sober and interested at that stage. A later placing like last year(i think) ruined brian's chances of coming in the top 5. Deserved better. Anyway, Cathy's singing has improved in rehearsal and the stage etc is being altered to see what works best so come on Dervish, I think we have a good chance to win/finish in top 5 at least.

Other expectations are Ukraine(drag fest who looks like a shiny young Dame Edna) which I hope doesn't win. Possibly Greece or Turkey will get the gay vote with their similar songs. Greek guy is an awful dancer but funny to watch. :eek:

My other choices I am rooting for apart from Ireland are Germany(Roger Cicero is a great singer, jazz style) I would love to see this win.
I also like Bos + Herz. entry by Mariya, quite nice ballad.

Gonna be a good one tonight. Scooch :rolleyes: no chance, bad placing, nobody votes for UK and the song/group are sh1te!

Cymro
12/05/2007, 4:05 PM
The whole thing is just a European popularity contest.

Greece always give 12 points to Cyprus, Cyprus always reciprocate, same in the Balkans.

We need to make some political friends if we're ever going to win this thing.

no chance of you guys dropping the centuries old grudges and giving us 12 points tonight? Nah, probably not. :D

Green Tribe
12/05/2007, 6:29 PM
no chance of you guys dropping the centuries old grudges and giving us 12 points tonight? Nah, probably not. :D

Heh heh, ah you never know. But I think our top votes tend to go for the ethnic groups living in Ireland that are in final (usually Poland Lat Lith Czech Slov) I think it will be going towards the only qualifier out of this group Latvia. Although I do think Ireland will vote well for the Ukraine, Bosnia, Russia, Germany and Turkey. Living in the UK I will be using my UK vote to vote for Ireland and Germany LOL :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsaSp6DuqlE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k2ocvCIB_k

Let's hope we'll be hosting the big competition in Sligo or Galway next year :D

Dan K
12/05/2007, 7:33 PM
Dear God.

Dervish were awful.

pineapple stu
12/05/2007, 7:55 PM
That Swedish entry wasn't bad. Complete rip of "Love grows where my Rosemary goes", but still.

the 12 th man
12/05/2007, 8:02 PM
Very poor songs so far,Irish song desparate.

pineapple stu
12/05/2007, 8:20 PM
Ukraine to walk away with it...
What the f was that about?!

Brits next - supposed to be awful!

Dan K
12/05/2007, 8:25 PM
Mother of mercy. What the **** was that?

pineapple stu
12/05/2007, 8:28 PM
It was like some sort of sketch out of the High Life.

Except the High Life people knew they were being funny!

Poor Student
12/05/2007, 9:02 PM
That young lad for Serbia was fairly good, I'll give him my vote.

pineapple stu
12/05/2007, 9:03 PM
Yeah, lad...

Sweden for me. Nothing else really stood out.

gustavo
12/05/2007, 9:15 PM
Latvia for me just before the voting startss

oops

Matchman
12/05/2007, 9:39 PM
Dervish were as brutal as feared
Could she not buy herself a pair of shoes?
Is there an Irish enclave in albania

GavinZac
12/05/2007, 9:42 PM
Dervish were as brutal as feared
Could she not buy herself a pair of shoes?

our troops were peace-keeping for kosovar-albanians :D

Dan K
12/05/2007, 9:47 PM
Jaysus, we just put ourselves bottom!

pineapple stu
12/05/2007, 9:49 PM
Feckin Latvians and Lithuanians working here.

We'd probably have given 12 to Poland if they were in it.

We've become as bad as everyone else...

Wasn't their King from the same planet as Zig and Zag?

Red&White Rover
12/05/2007, 10:02 PM
:o oh dear....

pineapple stu
12/05/2007, 10:04 PM
5 points - our worst ever. First time the Brits didn't vote for us since 1996, when we won by 48 points with The Voice.

Dan K
12/05/2007, 10:06 PM
Heads should roll for this travesty!

Thank God there is an election coming up so we can sort out this shambles!
5 points - our worst ever. First time the Brits didn't vote for us since 1996, when we won by 48 points with The Voice.I've always thought that decent points from the UK were a shoe-in because of the huge Irish population who over here.

However, it seems even blind, meaningless patriotism doesn't extend to mercy voting on THAT scale!

Poor Student
12/05/2007, 10:22 PM
Ah, so the young fella won, fair play to him. I wonder how much of a strain it'll be on Serbia to host it.

sligoman
12/05/2007, 10:27 PM
Something has to be done with the voting system. This competition gets worse every year.

DonO'Bate
12/05/2007, 10:28 PM
Jaysus, we just put ourselves bottom!

This for me was the funniest Euro Vision moment ever, we gave the UK their first points and the max to the Lithuanians, talk about shooting yourself in the foot, a real Father Ted moment. Next year we should get some of our visitors from Eastern Europe to sing for us.

GavinZac
12/05/2007, 10:29 PM
Something has to be done with the voting system. This competition gets worse every year.

some kind of weighting system needs to be put in place. for starters, why do malta get the same number of points to distribute as germany?

also, serbia are cheating by splitting off a new country every year to ensure votes :D

pineapple stu
12/05/2007, 10:33 PM
some kind of weighting system needs to be put in place. for starters, why do malta get the same number of points to distribute as germany?
Why not? They're a country just like Germany. Giving pro-rata votes according to how large your population is isn't going to solve anything.

Ideally, each country should be banned from voting for three (say) countries, and each country should be banned from receiving votes from three countries (it's not the same thing obviously). Think that'd help a little bit. Alternatively, get the jury system back, and work out an average between the jury's votes and the public votes. Although the juy system wasn't exactly without block voting either.

Maybe just force the USSR and Yugoslavia back together again?

Ah, so the young fella won, fair play to him. I wonder how much of a strain it'll be on Serbia to host it.
Um...you are being funny at this stage?

GavinZac
12/05/2007, 10:35 PM
Why not? They're a country just like Germany. Giving pro-rata votes according to how large your population is isn't going to solve anything.

but malta is miniscule, i mean they gave 12 points to the UK and its quite possible a group of lads on a stag do in bugibba are responsible

Poor Student
12/05/2007, 10:35 PM
Um...you are being funny at this stage?

Sharp as a beachball.;)

pineapple stu
12/05/2007, 10:37 PM
but malta is miniscule, i mean they gave 12 points to the UK and its quite possible a group of lads on a stag do in bugibba are responsible
But sure so what? That's not the problem.

(And they didn't give 12 points to the UK, nor is it small enough for a stag party to influence the voting, so your point is irrelevant.)

Edit - Oops! They did give 12 points to the UK. Still, that doesn't affect my point.

Lionel Ritchie
12/05/2007, 11:06 PM
If you're Irish come into the ****in' parlour!!!

Base to Dervish-Mission Accomplished-Come On Home. :cool:

:D

brokenstar
12/05/2007, 11:45 PM
sweet jesus i can't believe people actually still watch this cack

Green Tribe
13/05/2007, 2:14 PM
Very disappointed, if she had actually sang it properly we would have had a better chance, in the video her voice was better, but anytime on telly it is weak. She had no power or volume ffs!:rolleyes: This means we have to miss out one year I think, yeah? 2008 with no Irish entry :eek:
Really wanted Sweden, Hungary or Germany to win. Serbian song was good. Wogan's comment at the end "Just shows you looks AREN't everything " :D
Also thought Armenia and Slovenia were pretty good. Bulgaria, wtf??? I knew our points would go to Lat and Lith. Raging the UK gave none to Ireland, I phoned in loads of times.

strangeirish
13/05/2007, 3:40 PM
xA7070JazjA:rolleyes: :D

osarusan
13/05/2007, 5:18 PM
Here is a blast from the past!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXuO3LXXJNI) I remember being so nervous at the time! (Try to ignore the Greek commentary)

pineapple stu
13/05/2007, 5:55 PM
Cyprus still giving twelve to Greece, I see!

mypost
13/05/2007, 6:28 PM
This means we have to miss out one year I think, yeah? 2008 with no Irish entry :eek:

It means we're back where we started last year, in the semi-final.

Possibly Greece or Turkey will get the gay vote with their similar songs.

Wtf is that supposed to mean? :confused: Do we turn Eurovision now into a hetero v homo contest? :rolleyes:

I liked the Bulgaria and Russia songs and voted for them. They both finished in the top 5. As for ****ty Slovenia, that was merely a 3-minute ear-splitting scream.

Oh yeah, Dervish can go home now following our worst ever finish in the contest, to play in front of sell-out Sligo pubs. My Lovely Horse would have got more points.

Serbia won the semi-final comprehensively, ahead of Hungary. Portugal, Andorra and Iceland, 3 Western countries finished 11th-13th. Malta came 25th, while Czech Republic finished 28th and last.

eirebhoy
13/05/2007, 6:37 PM
Since the semi finals have been introduced has the winner always come through the semi's? A few months ago I looked at the odds and Serbia were favourites to qualify from the semi's (Switzerland were 2nd favourite). They're odds to win the contest were relatively high at the time.

mypost
13/05/2007, 6:56 PM
Since the semi finals have been introduced has the winner always come through the semi's?

Greece won without coming through the semi-final in 2005.

Pauro 76
14/05/2007, 8:38 AM
Idea! How about we actually bring in 'My Lovely Horse' as a song next year! Why the hell not, itll show we're not bothered by this lark! Bit peed off that UK didnt give us any votes. I was at a Eurovision house party when the votes came on, worse for wear, i pointed at every single person, saying 'You're a bad neighbour'. Oops. :)

BohsPartisan
14/05/2007, 8:40 AM
I think My Lovely Horse would be an improvement on the last two years entries

mypost
14/05/2007, 11:39 AM
Yet again the Dutch are wailing and moaning over the voting system. I wonder how many points they would give Luxembourg, if they returned.

Similiar cry-babies are the Maltese, as Eurovision is one of the few events they excel at. If Italy were around, how many points would they receive from Malta, I wonder?? :rolleyes:

As for the voting system, some people here seem offended that the Brits gave us nothing. Anyone complaining about it should remember where we got our points from. An Eastern European country. :o

Magicme
15/05/2007, 8:46 AM
I still cant believe that the muck that Serbia served up won in a year when there were some (well as far as eurovision goes) quality songs.

Was sitting in hotel room in Wexford with my kids & my sister roaring at the tv.

Oh I loved the French song btw!

First
15/05/2007, 9:18 AM
How did the Russian pussycat dolls not win this ffs. There should be an investigation!.

As for Dervish , what a pile of ****e , and I thought the worst thing to come out of Sligo was the road and rail network that links the God awful place to the rest of the country.:)

mypost
15/05/2007, 9:38 AM
I thought the worst thing to come out of Sligo was the road and rail network that links the God awful place to the rest of the country.:)

:D

It should be pointed out also, that Dervish did not even receive a televote. The 5 points we received from Albania were from a back-up jury. That explains why they didn't give 12 points to Greece.

bennocelt
15/05/2007, 12:01 PM
How did the Russian pussycat dolls not win this ffs. There should be an investigation!.

As for Dervish , what a pile of ****e , and I thought the worst thing to come out of Sligo was the road and rail network that links the God awful place to the rest of the country.:)

Yeah def agree there, i didnt actually listen to the songs, of course, but did notice that the russian entry were the best looking

that irish entry was ****e, the song was rubbish to begin with anyway

anyway wouldnt worry sure its only a joke competition
but god dont the mainland europeans have any decent culture?

WeAreRovers
15/05/2007, 1:39 PM
Oh I loved the French song btw!

Same here, I was very stoned at the time though. ;)

Note - I had to watch it as my girlfriend was over there working at it.

KOH

Pauro 76
15/05/2007, 2:39 PM
The French one was awful. Especially the baldy lad running about the stage in a circle like a well.. Dervish. ;) The Russian one was very Girls Aloud. That should've won I reckon.