PDA

View Full Version : Rumour - de paper - PortVale

Casegrande
27/12/2001, 4:23 PM
Interview in D'Echo tonight. Says he "wouldn't rule out a move home to Cork City" to resurrect his ailing career cross the pond.

Hardly.

pete
01/01/2002, 8:10 PM
who?

:eek:

A face
01/01/2002, 8:43 PM
I second that !! :D :D

James
01/01/2002, 9:09 PM
George O Callaghan plays with Port Vale, he's 22, a midfielder and he was born in Cork. He's 6 foot 1 and has played Youths with the Republic National side

from the port vale web-site
"The tall Irish midfielder came successfully through the youth ranks and signed professional terms with the club in April 1998.

He is a free-scoring midfielder who clocked up 15 goals in the 1998 youth team.

He has played on the Republic of Ireland U18 squad and has a good touch and a fine sense of anticipation.

He made his debut in the 2:1 victory over Wolves in September 1999. Last season he found himself out of favour until the Boxing Day trip to Wrexham when he started in the unaccustomed role of striker due to dire injury problems.

Further opportunities were remote and at the end of the season he was placed on the transfer list."

Gary
02/01/2002, 6:44 PM
Originally posted by James
He's 6 foot 1

Pity he aint 6 foot 2, then there could be an aul song about him! :D

Gary
31/01/2002, 5:46 PM
Accordig to dEcho today he has said he wants to come home. City are apparently 'leading' for his signature. He said he will be playing some Hurling with Whitechurch in the summer and all.

Stoke(if they dont get promoted), Bournmouth and (surprise surprise) Carlisle are also interested.

But from what i could gather, If he does sign it'll only be a very short term contract.

Could be a good signing though.

Éanna
31/01/2002, 5:53 PM
sounds like he could be a decent signing, and a few midfielders wouldn't go amiss what with our esteemed managers wondeful transfer policy.

Captain
31/01/2002, 6:35 PM
Might be some good with a hurley a few of the current could do with being sorted out

Éanna
31/01/2002, 6:46 PM
Originally posted by Captain
Might be some good with a hurley a few of the current could do with being sorted out

LOL, good one :D

yan
31/01/2002, 10:54 PM
is he right sided or left

Seanie
01/02/2002, 9:52 AM
There's still a few English clubs after him so he would prove a fine signing

mouldymurphy
01/02/2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by GWA

Pity he aint 6 foot 2, then there could be an aul song about him! :D
tell him wear two pairs of socks and long studs :D

Éanna
01/02/2002, 10:22 AM
FROM CITYNET:
Report: City to sign George - Posted: 31.01.02
A report in tonight's Evening Echo suggests that Cork City are on the verge of signing local boy George O'Callaghan in a loan move.

23-year-old O'Callaghan, who currently plays for Port Vale in England, would join the Leesiders until the end of the summer in an effort to resurrect his career.

Four English clubs - Stoke City, Luton Town, Bournemouth and Roddy Collins' Carlisle United have all expressed an interest in the Whitechurch man.

The unsettled winger becomes a free agent at the end of the season.

Pablo
01/02/2002, 2:31 PM
The board should get the cheque book out if he proves to be a hit. Put their money where their mouth is and show us some ambition......

whats the word on this??? Is it happening?

Troy.McClure
01/02/2002, 2:39 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
sounds like he could be a decent signing, and a few midfielders wouldn't go amiss what with our esteemed managers wondeful transfer policy.

Letting go of players that are not up to scratch and replacing them with full pro's, I think that that is a good transfer policy.

Éanna
02/02/2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
replacing them
exactly. who has he replaced since they left?! No-one!

A face
04/02/2002, 12:51 PM
George Callaghan is meant to be sigining for City for the rest of the season/summer, nothing is final on this as far as i have been told, Port Vale haven't paid his wages and things aren't going well for him, he wasn't left home for his brothers wedding etc.

Talks are going on and check this out, Port Vale and City to go 50/50 on his wages that are outstanding, Yeah .... City are pickin' up the tab for another club, again, i am not fully sure on this

Is there any truth to this. It was in the paper last week sometime aswell .... did anyone hear anything. :confused:

Peadar
04/02/2002, 1:06 PM
In order to qualify for Europe again we need a midfield player who can do a Roy Keane like job and control the play. Don't start the whole Herrick thing again. IMO he tried to play the game at his own pace and slowed things down too much during home games.
O'Callaghan could be the man for us.

niamh
04/02/2002, 1:13 PM
Any addition to the squad is welcome...particularly if they come in the capable midfielder category.

mouldymurphy
04/02/2002, 1:14 PM
id say we all chip in and get dicanio ane yorke they both want to move ! :D :D :D

pete
04/02/2002, 1:33 PM
I think the squad is of reasonable enough size now that any players coming in should be an improvement to the first 11 as opposed to jusy squad players. We have a promising enough squad but need some start quality.

Quality not Quantity.

Whose this O'Callaghan fella anyways?

James
04/02/2002, 1:47 PM
pete re-read the earlier posts in this thread for any info on 'O Callaghan

Pablo
04/02/2002, 2:14 PM
A bit of info on the guy.....

http://www.port-vale.co.uk/stats/view/player_profiles/0,,10381~9304,00.html

pete
04/02/2002, 2:34 PM
I saw elsewhere he a playmaking midfielder whose played 10-15 games for Port vale this season. Looks like his contract up in the summer too.

Sounds like what we need but how likely really is it he'll join City this season or next?

razor
04/02/2002, 2:52 PM
I think O'Grady is one of the best midfielders we have ever had at the club and he does the defensive midfield role brilliantly.
Its just a pity noone else gives a damn, those that did were sold.
We need a creator, if O'Grady can win the ball we need someone for him to give it to.

patsh
04/02/2002, 3:32 PM
He sounds good, but is he here only to try and make a name for himself for clubs back in England?
City should be signing players like this, but only if he intends to stay.
Anyone who is only willing to stay for the short term is of no use to the club............. :rolleyes:

A face
04/02/2002, 3:49 PM
I heard that he only wants to come back till the end of the summer season and next year the season will be at a funny time for us, if he bails out half way through then i dont think he'll be that much good to us, we need commited players to come to the club. I also think the squad we have now (if they all stay) will do great next year. but more midfielders and strikers wouldn't go astray, they always seem to be at a shortage.

derm
05/02/2002, 12:57 PM
may be wrong here but I think I read somewhere that he's moved to another English club ... will try to find out where I read that

Pablo
06/02/2002, 4:17 PM
he was on the bench for Port Vale V Wycombe on Saturday.......

pete
06/02/2002, 5:05 PM
From what they saying on one of the Port Vale sites seems to be conflicting views on O'Callaghans performances on the pitch & whether he settled or unsettled.

Obviously any ideas of joining us on loan for the rest of the season are gone now but looks like good chance he out of contract at the end of the season.

Suppose we should be careful as how many locals lads have returned to ireland but end up not making the grade here. Doesn't say much for the satndard of reserve team football over there anyway but looks like O'Callaghan has had a good bit of 1st team play which is good to hear.