PDA

View Full Version : Duff's playing!!!

eirebhoy
23/02/2005, 6:02 PM
Chelsea's Damien Duff will now play against Barcelona after being passed fit at the 11th hour.

Manager Jose Mourinho had ruled the Irish winger out on Tuesday, saying: "He cannot run. His (knee) injury is very painful, so he is out."

But just over one hour before kick-off on Wednesday Mourinho said: "The medical department have done a very good job and we will take a risk."

It remains to be seen who will make way from the team named by Mourinho.

The Chelsea boss had previously taken the unusual step of naming his side 24 hours before the game.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4288351.stm
:D :D :D

Eirambler
23/02/2005, 6:04 PM
I just hope its not too big a risk...

I didnt think Chelsea had much chance without him, maybe mourinho thought the same thing and is taking a very big chance with his fitness.

I'd have rathered he sat this one out

eirebhoy
23/02/2005, 6:07 PM
He's taking absolutely no chance. He named his team so early for one reason only, because it wasn't the actual team he was planning to put out.

Slash/ED
23/02/2005, 6:08 PM
Mourinho wouldn't play him if he didn't think he was fit, he's not exactly a careless manager. It looked a minor injury, the whole thing was clearly mind games, who announces their team a day early in a match of this importance?

Delighted about it anyway, it'll be great to see Duff playing against genuine world class opposition.

eirebhoy
23/02/2005, 6:11 PM
Time to get the munchie's and a six pack. Love watching Duffer. :D

eirebhoy
23/02/2005, 7:41 PM
Half time. Duff set up the only goal of the game (an og, Belletti) with a brilliant take down and low cross.

Slash/ED
23/02/2005, 9:22 PM
Beautiful first touch and excellent cross, I bet Mourinho is glad he started with him in the end.

tetsujin1979
24/02/2005, 8:19 AM
I was worried when I heard he was starting, must have been some physio! If you think about it, Mourinho is in no way, shape or form going to play Duff unless he's convinced Duff is fit, he's not going to take the chance of Duff making a slight injury into a serious one with Robben out for the season and Cole seemingly making up the numbers.

Junior
24/02/2005, 8:21 AM
was it a good game. It was a tough decision ManU v Milan or Barca v Chelsea. I went with Milan and it was a quality game of football. Not that mayn chances created and goal came about from an error. But some of the football that was played by both sides was superb.

Saw the higlights of Chelsea, Duff did well for the goal, Sending off was an error, some great touches by Ronaldhino - was it a good game to watch?

elroy
24/02/2005, 12:46 PM
was it a good game. It was a tough decision ManU v Milan or Barca v Chelsea. I went with Milan and it was a quality game of football. Not that mayn chances created and goal came about from an error. But some of the football that was played by both sides was superb.

Saw the higlights of Chelsea, Duff did well for the goal, Sending off was an error, some great touches by Ronaldhino - was it a good game to watch?

thought it was a terrible game to be honest, started very well but overall it was very poor. united shoulve won, had 2 good chances. milan didnt have one chance worth talking about untill carrolls error. Thought uniteds tactics were totally wrong-if they go and attack milan in the return leg and play with 2 up front, they might very well win.
Keane, Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes and Rooney surely cant play as bad as they did last night

Condex
24/02/2005, 1:07 PM
Thought Milan were the better team.
A lot of Uts big name players didn't play, Keane played OK, Scholes kept giving the ball away and both Neville and Giggs were dire..

eirebhoy
24/02/2005, 2:02 PM
It just goes to show how hard Celtic's group was when Miland beat United in Manchester and Barca destroyed Chelsea. Celtic match Milan (performance wise) over the two games.

Peadar
24/02/2005, 2:11 PM
Celtic match Milan (performance wise) over the two games.

You're showing yourself to be a bit naive there by not considering how different the knockout stages are to the group stages.
The big teams often do just enough in the group stages.
It's do or die in the knockout.

Stuttgart88
24/02/2005, 2:29 PM
Half time. Duff set up the only goal of the game (an og, Belletti) with a brilliant take down and low cross.

The first touch was sensational.

The cross was totally unplayable by the defender. I don't think I've ever seen anyone better than Duff in playing balls across the 6 yard box, between the 'keeper and the last defender.

Peadar
24/02/2005, 2:30 PM
The first touch was sensational.

Takes a lot of composure to stop the ball dead like that.
Hope Andy Reid was watching the game.