PDA

View Full Version : ireland 19 england 13

exile
23/02/2005, 3:02 PM
irish team named

Ireland team: G Murphy (Leicester); G Dempsey (Leinster), B O'Driscoll (Leinster, capt), S Horgan (Leinster), D Hickie (Leinster); R O'Gara (Munster), P Stringer (Munster); R Corrigan (Leinster), S Byrne (Leinster), J Hayes (Munster), M O'Kelly (Leinster), P O'Connell (Munster), S Easterby (Llanelli), J O'Connor (Wasps), A Foley (Munster).

Replacements: F Sheahan (Munster), M Horan (Munster), D O'Callaghan (Munster), E Miller (Leinster), G Easterby (Leinster), D Humphreys (Ulster), K Maggs (Ulster).

and i got my ticket :D

beautifulrock
23/02/2005, 3:23 PM
As expected, good to see BOD back. Am worried about the potential English backlash and how we will deal with the favourite tags. First 10 will be vital, please let Steve Thompson throw a "wrong un" at the first line out with Paul O C then picking it out of the air and we drive them back ten yards.

Well that how i see it anyway :)

drinkfeckarse
23/02/2005, 4:21 PM
Shows how strong the game is at home at the moment with the fact only 2 of the squad ply their trade outwith the country :cool:

It's going to be a tough match but I'm confident we'll do it and follow up from last years win.

drinkfeckarse
23/02/2005, 4:24 PM
eh make that 3 of the squad :o confused Leicester with Leinster :o

Aberdonian Stu
23/02/2005, 4:38 PM
Not having Flash alongside BOD could prove costly. Am a big fan of Shaggy and he does a job in the centre but he's more useful on the wing. Used to be of the opposite view and was annoyed for years at his being wasted on the wing but he works really well outside the Flash-BOD partnership. Also am not pushed about Girv on the wing, he's a full back and if Eddie's going to play him that's where he should be. Murphy, while far more effective at full back than out wide, can at least play up to international standard on the wing.

Am very worried about this game, almost more so than the French (who should theoretically be harder to beat). It'll take three mammoth performances in four weeks if we're going to win the slam and I wasn't impressed with either of our performances so far.

pete
23/02/2005, 10:07 PM
Ireland needed either O'Driscoll or D'Arcy to be fit.

I expect irish forwards to win it for Ireland. English forwards very poor against France. O'Gara to kick a good few penalties. English midfield of Noon & Barkley lightweigh & should get irish backrow to run straight at them.

btw i'm looking to swop 1 stand for 2 terrace tickets for France game if anyone interested.

IsMiseSean
23/02/2005, 11:20 PM
I suppose no one has a spare ticket?

Pauro 76
24/02/2005, 11:16 AM
Should be a great occasion... gonig to be working in a bar in Kingston-upon-Thames for the big game wearing my Ireland (footy) shirt, just for the banter! Pray for me....

Green Tribe
26/02/2005, 6:58 PM
well, the france v wales game was exciting ,, france could have stole it at the last minute, but wales deserved to win and beat les bleus. i was hoping for a draw, would help ireland :D anyway, i am off to say my prayers for ireland tomorrow :D hope we win, we deserve it

pete
27/02/2005, 7:56 PM
Good win by Ireland. Good try & excellent defense to hold out.

I had O'Gara at 7/1 for MOTM so good day all round. Should wipe out football loses, maybe stick to rugby betting in future... :)

With D'Arcy back for France game Irealnd will be much better as Horgan was poor in midfield.

Wales v Ireland looks like winner takes all showdown now.

aberharp
27/02/2005, 8:16 PM
great result for us :D

Aberdonian Stu
27/02/2005, 8:44 PM
And it was a UCD graduate who got the try :D Good work by BOD and the guys, I reckon Shaggy will be more comfortable back on the wing next time out, was caught out twice by Robinson when you should have creamed him. Johnny O'Connor was excellent, I thought he should have MOM instead of ROG.

Green Tribe
27/02/2005, 9:27 PM
:D :D :D :D have not been able to stop smiling. what a nerve-racking game though, everyone was crapping themselves in the pub at times especially me. was glad the 80 mins were complete.nice wee dummy by mr murphy, cracker! and brian and his wee fairy fancy try, it was so funny, try of the tournament i think(unbiased of course) i am so proud of the boys. way-hey............... roll on les bleus!!!!!!!!

onenilgameover
27/02/2005, 10:58 PM
The ref should have been MOTM...and they dont wanna use video in football? Still happy days!

SÓC
27/02/2005, 11:10 PM
I'd be worried (and was worried today) about Dempsey on the wing and Horgan at centre. Dempsey

If D'Arcy cant play against France I'd bring Maggs in at centre and move Horgan onto the wing where he is best and really opens up the cross field kick as a tatic for O'Gara to use. Maggs have never ever let us down.

Dempesy is a good fullback but a poor winger, we have plenty of other decent wingers who dont get a chance. People like Duffy, Payne, A. Horgan and Kelly as soon as he's back fit

Éanna
27/02/2005, 11:19 PM
I think my heartbeat has just about returned to normal. We were a bit lucky, but who cares. Think of it as some payback for Neil Back's cheating against Munster :)

lopez
28/02/2005, 12:39 AM
I think my heartbeat has just about returned to normal. We were a bit lucky, but who cares. Think of it as some payback for Neil Back's cheating against Munster :)I've had a dose of 'flu for the past three days and was looking to be puking up again towards the end. Glad when it was over. O'Gara missing those kicks and drop goal really f*cked me. Agreed, we were 'lucky' but their try was totally illegal (BBC news tonight slagging off 'complaining England').

tricky_colour
28/02/2005, 2:39 AM
England's first try was the result of some disgraceful cheating, I think
the ref made up for it when he called that English try offside, it looked
about 10 or more yards onside to me.

I don't think the ref was going to let a bunch of cheats win, fair play
to him, I think he even blew full-time before 80 minutes was up :D

England played well second half though, I don't we would ever get the
ball of them at times, but the defense was solid.

A very tense affair.

I notice Roy Keane was at the match, a bit unusual to see him at an
Irish international :p

Maybe his dog was sick!!

Aberdonian Stu
28/02/2005, 9:18 AM
Well to be honest I'm not a big fan of the prospect of Shaun Payne ever plays for Ireland. Nothing to do with nationality(originally South African, but hello Andy Ward and Rob Henderson!), I just think he isn't good enough. James Norton is a prospoect but isn't ready yet.

joeSoap
28/02/2005, 10:02 AM
Well to be honest I'm not a big fan of the prospect of Shaun Payne ever plays for Ireland. Nothing to do with nationality(originally South African, but hello Andy Ward and Rob Henderson!), I just think he isn't good enough. James Norton is a prospoect but isn't ready yet.

Andy Ward-New Zealand, Rob Henderson -England, Ronan O Gara- USA, Frankie Sheahan-Canada,Keith Gleeson- Australia, John Robbie-South Africa, Mike Mullins-New Zealand, Paul Burke-England, Kevin Maggs-England,Simon and Guy Easterby-England,Justin Bishop- England, Gary Halpin-England....

I'm sure theres loads more..

green goblin
28/02/2005, 10:32 AM
great morning at work. All talk was about the dodgy referee and how the game was stolen. :D :D
Wonderful result. Again.

Aldini98
28/02/2005, 10:43 AM
Totally agree with you about Payne, hes not good enough.

Bald Student
28/02/2005, 11:15 AM
England's first try was the result of some disgraceful cheatingO'Gara was in the ruck. The ref called it correctly.

Does anyone else think O'Gara didn't deserve to be man of the match? He gave away a soft try and missed I think four goal kicks. His field kicking was excellent as usual though.

Macy
28/02/2005, 11:37 AM
I'm sure theres loads more..
He said it was nothing to do with nationality, so not sure I get your point.

We really need to pick up now for the last 2 games - we've played poor enough in the games to date.

Thought O'Gara was held illegally myself - fine you could argue that he was there to be cleared out of the ruck (wouldn't be convinced myself), but he was effectively tackled and held down well away from the ruck, which left the space. Should've been cover there though - would have to bet on a forward making ground on a back in that position...

Don't remember seeing much analysis of the "offside" disallowed try, but the push over should've gone upstairs at least and don't see how it was anything other than a five metre scrum to England. Don't think the try would've been given anyway judging from the replays I saw, but would've shut them up. Anyway who cares.

pete
28/02/2005, 11:38 AM
Was interesting to listen to BBC commentary on the english try.

Barnes (thats his name?) was doing the whole pro england thing as commentator suggested O'Gara taken out illegally. Barnes says "...doesn't matter now, ref didn't call it..." Not that our own commentators aren't similarily biased :)

Thought Hook funny afterwards saying France will beat Ireland. Apparently was a first for him predicting irish victory by 6 points ;)

Macy
28/02/2005, 11:48 AM
Tried to get into the Rugby interactive after the RTE programme had finished, but had ended.... Was watching some of the wales game on it - good options on Rugby i - you can turn off the commentator and listen to the ref's mike, watch replays, re-watch the analysis (I think, was watching it anyway so didn't try that option).

lopez
28/02/2005, 11:50 AM
Was interesting to listen to BBC commentary on the english try.

Barnes (thats his name?) was doing the whole pro england thing as commentator suggested O'Gara taken out illegally. Barnes says "...doesn't matter now, ref didn't call it..." Not that our own commentators aren't similarily biasedI heard that myself from the pr*t (Brian Moore: Ugly bloke who has trouble talking through the rubble he calls teeth. Othe bloke was Welsh bloke called Eddie something) and thought it funny afterwards when he started moaning. Typical of them though. You could run a dozen premium rate phone lines with all their moaning. :D

$Leon$
28/02/2005, 1:55 PM
all the english based lads should invest in these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32656&item=6158583480&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

liam88
28/02/2005, 2:38 PM
Today I've been punched, nipple crippled and yelled at for wondering around college yelling 19-13 up the Ireland! But it was all worth it!
Having worn my Ireland jersey for 3 days am wearing my Munster one-meant to bring in my flag but overslept, mabye was a good thing considering their attitude to defeat :D
Well done to the boys and here's to the Grandslam!!!! :D :) :D

IsMiseSean
28/02/2005, 11:48 PM
I agree with Aberdonian Stu, Johnny O'Connor should have been given MOTM he was excellent. Another Galway man if I'm not mistaking :cool:

Superhoops
01/03/2005, 12:35 AM
Always nice to stick one on them.....who cares whether it was deserved or undeserved.....like all their 'famous' victories :eek: !
Dav, I am sure you were pleased to see your mate RMK made it to Landsdowne on Sunday, but of course this was not a meaningless friendly! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: