PDA

View Full Version : TIFO flags banned from Setanta games

Éanna
23/02/2005, 1:59 PM
According to Andy Needham of the eL in todays Sun:

eircom League fans have brought the massive Tifosi-style flags to their games but these will not be acceptable

Absolutely ridiculous IMO. What possible harm could these be?

BobtheDrog
23/02/2005, 2:02 PM
Longford don't allow the flag poles into the ground but why the flags shud be banned i dont know it cud be because some of them are tricolours and they are worried that this might lead to trouble

Longfordian
23/02/2005, 2:05 PM
Seems a strange one, but I do know that there will be no tricolours or any other emblems allowed to our matches against the Northern teams, similarly they're not going to be allowed to bring any union jacks or other similar emblems. Celtic jersies will also be considered potentially offensive and anyone wearing one will be asked to cover it up. Same applies to Rangers jersies in theory but given their similarity to Linfield jersies, they mightn't be noticed as easily. This is at the request of Setanta who don't want any sectarian edge to the matches

Schumi
23/02/2005, 2:07 PM
Celtic jersies will also be considered potentially offensive
That should be introduced for league matches too. :D

Longfordian
23/02/2005, 2:08 PM
I was wondering who'd be first in with that one :)

Éanna
23/02/2005, 2:32 PM
Seems a strange one, but I do know that there will be no tricolours or any other emblems allowed to our matches against the Northern teams, similarly they're not going to be allowed to bring any union jacks or other similar emblems.
that was the original story, but now Needham seems to be saying thats changed too :confused:

Slash/ED
23/02/2005, 2:34 PM
According to Andy Needham of the eL in todays Sun:

Absolutely ridiculous IMO. What possible harm could these be?

This will cause some lovely whinging but..... :)

....Shels appealed the decision and have been given permission to use the flags in their home games only, they're banned from the away games still. Before you all moan about the mass conspiracy, we were the only ones who appealed. That's what I was told anyway. The reason they were banned, apparently, is to do with the poles being used as potential weapons, the flags themselves aren't technically banned just the poles.

BohDiddley
23/02/2005, 2:34 PM
That should be introduced for league matches too. :D
Can we not just ban them outright? Anytime, anywhere? :)
And ManUre, and Chelski, and Arsenal (they're probably dying a death now anyway).
Not Leeds though. Leeds are special ... ;)

Longfordian
23/02/2005, 2:46 PM
that was the original story, but now Needham seems to be saying thats changed too :confused:

I don't know so, each club makes their own decisions, seems open to rows. We had security meeting with Linfield recently, must find out the exact story. In theory you can allow one flag but not the other? :confused:

soccerc
23/02/2005, 3:12 PM
Seems a little stange that they have come to the conclusion that tifo flags represent a security risk.

This issue was considered when they were mooted for Lansdowne Road and while there was some reservations the method eventually employed was and is acceptable to all concerned.

I would suggest that national flags, insignia, colours would be more provocative and that any risk associated with the tifo flags and their poles is minimal.

Just the usual heads in the sand attitude with no regard for the occasion! A small application of common sense from all concerned would and should see their use at Setanta Cup games.

anto eile
23/02/2005, 3:28 PM
has anyone actually tried to use a tifo pole as a weapon?its useless for weapons purpoeses.theyre too light to hurt, too big to swing fast,too long and awkward to be effective.ffs a fist is a much more dangerous weapon! how many people end up in A&E at the weekend from tifo-pole related injuries?compare this to how many end up there with fist-realated injuries????!!!!
bannig tifo-poles is morons idea.obviously the flute-jockey who came up with this doesnt actually stand and sing and wave flags at many of his local teams games

harpskid
23/02/2005, 4:18 PM
! how many people end up in A&E at the weekend from tifo-pole related injuries?compare this to how many end up there with fist-realated injuries????!!!!

I would imagine there aren't too many people that head out at the weekend armed with a Tifo pole...

You Rovers boys might though :p

A face
23/02/2005, 4:28 PM

Who scanned that article and were they really that druck at the time :p !!!

This is mad .... although it is up to the clubs to decide.

Éanna
23/02/2005, 5:59 PM
has anyone actually tried to use a tifo pole as a weapon?its useless for weapons purpoeses.theyre too light to hurt, too big to swing fast,too long and awkward to be effective.
How would you know?! Typical Rovers :rolleyes: ;) :p

Éanna
23/02/2005, 6:00 PM
Seems a little stange that they have come to the conclusion that tifo flags represent a security risk.

This issue was considered when they were mooted for Lansdowne Road and while there was some reservations the method eventually employed was and is acceptable to all concerned.
Well when I've questioned longford about their ban on TIFO poles, the excuse was "The FAI told us they were banned. They sent us a letter saying so." Then when I pointed out, I'd been waving one in Landsdowne a few weeks previous to that, they said "don't blame us, blame the FAI, thats what they said." So its the usual, say one thing, do another idiocy from Merrion Sq then :rolleyes:

Pablo
23/02/2005, 6:28 PM
The FAI have no problem in using our flag poles at internationals.

i'd like to see them stop us using the flags we've spent fortunes on. bring it on.

Longfordian
23/02/2005, 9:25 PM
Well when I've questioned longford about their ban on TIFO poles, the excuse was "The FAI told us they were banned. They sent us a letter saying so." Then when I pointed out, I'd been waving one in Landsdowne a few weeks previous to that, they said "don't blame us, blame the FAI, thats what they said." So its the usual, say one thing, do another idiocy from Merrion Sq then :rolleyes:

At the FAI Cup Final 2003 they wouldn't allow any flag poles into Lansdowne, then allowed them in 2004, now they're not allowed for the Setanta Cup, how about making yer minds up lads?

pete
23/02/2005, 9:28 PM
Firstly Longford banning poles is completely idiotic. I have never seen even the slighest sign of trouble at Town v City game.

Needham is supposed to be the eL Marketing guru - when was last time you even heard him quoted or actually even did anything?

His quote is classic FAi/eL - we had a meeting, decided to ban national falgs, now changed our mind & letting clubs do whatever they want to & also sure since we have to ban something lets ban those "dangerous" poles.

:rolleyes:

Fans make effort to create a spectacle, blazers do beest to scupper.

:(

Longfordian
23/02/2005, 9:31 PM
The club genuinely was told by the FAI, Declan McCluskey or yer man McGlue I think that the poles weren't allowed under safety regulations, personally I don't see why but they were told that, it's not about City and I agree they should be allowed.

paudie
24/02/2005, 8:12 AM
This is at the request of Setanta who don't want any sectarian edge to the matches

I suppose "not wanting a sectarian edge to games" is why Setanta spend a fortune on the rights to Rangers -Celtic games.

Banning TIFO flags is a joke. They look great at the matches and on TV. If both clubs agree they should be allowed

Éanna
24/02/2005, 10:45 AM
The club genuinely was told by the FAI, Declan McCluskey or yer man McGlue I think that the poles weren't allowed under safety regulations, personally I don't see why but they were told that, it's not about City and I agree they should be allowed.
McGlue? He's the same fella who actually INSPECTS the flagpoles when they're dropped in to landsdowne before intertnational games :rolleyes: This just gets more ridiculous by the minute :mad:

pete
24/02/2005, 2:36 PM
Aren't those Tifo flag poles are fairly expensive & a lot of hassle to replace?

Last time I checked hooligans didn't carry tifo flags.

If its good enough that each club can decide if National Flags are displayed at their ground then surely good enough that they also decide the tifo flag pole issue.

:rolleyes: