PDA

View Full Version : Most hated musical instrumnet?

Pauro 76
23/02/2005, 1:00 PM
weird question, but hey most of the questions on this site are... what would be your most hated musical instrumen? Mine? Easily the saxophone... brings to mind cheesy love songs and liift muzak....

Schumi
23/02/2005, 1:02 PM
Have to agree on the saxophone, hate it. Bagpipes are really annoying too.

Pauro 76
23/02/2005, 1:04 PM
oh and can i add panpipes to that list. panpipe music is meant to be soothing but just irritates the feck outta me....

anto eile
23/02/2005, 1:10 PM
the lute.that stupid medieval instrument for stupid gimpy medievel gay music

Pauro 76
23/02/2005, 1:15 PM
just think hoiw many annoying pieces of music featuring the sax.. Careless Whisper, Ive Had the Time of my Life and the Neighbours theme tune, and countless cheesey American soaps. The “Ban The Sax” campaign starts here!

noby
23/02/2005, 1:53 PM
Cheesy sax solos is one thing, but the thread is most hated instrument (or instrumnet).
Every brass section worth their salt, from soul/motown to ska/2tone has a saxaphone, and played properly is a great instrument.

I can't say I hate any instrument - closest is those keyboards you hold like a guitar I like and hate in equal measures

exile
23/02/2005, 1:55 PM
bagpipes has to be bagpipes they sound like somone is torturing a cat

strangeirish
23/02/2005, 2:23 PM
Trumpet...everyone seems to have their own ;) :D

Dawn_Run
23/02/2005, 3:07 PM
Personally I hate the Triangle thingy you see stuck in the middle of a band on Paddy's day - what an excuse of an instrument.

Peadar
23/02/2005, 3:12 PM
Tamborine.
Nuff said!

*Edit* Mandolin and Kazoo combinations should be made illegal!

Roo69
23/02/2005, 3:13 PM
oh and can i add panpipes to that list. panpipe music is meant to be soothing but just irritates the feck outta me....

Spot on ! Pan Pipes are so annoying ! :mad:

joey B
23/02/2005, 3:15 PM
The violin. Scretchy bas*ard of a thing

the 12 th man
23/02/2005, 6:20 PM
the lute.that stupid medieval instrument for stupid gimpy medievel gay music

as used to stunning effect in monthy pythons film "quest for the holy grail"by the musicians in the tale of "brave,brave sir robin" :D

Pat O' Banton
23/02/2005, 7:34 PM
Them double bass guitairs things, surely even the most well endowed soft rock bassist still only has one pair of hands!

liam88
23/02/2005, 10:23 PM
Think this is the...erm...second...time that I've agreed with Conor :D
The banjo.
Don't particularly hate it but it's a bit to redneck for my liking.....will always have the image of some BNP bloke on a documentary trying to make up an anti-Indian song on the banjo; redneck eejit!

Troy.McClure
24/02/2005, 12:02 PM
Claronet, I think that it features prominantly in the current J-Lo 'song' (/tripe). Thats an annoying whiney instrument.

pineapple stu
24/02/2005, 12:33 PM
as used to stunning effect in monthy pythons film "quest for the holy grail"by the musicians in the tale of "brave,brave sir robin" :D
Nothing to do with the topic, but couldn't miss the chance to find and post the words to one of the best songs ever!!

The Ballad of Brave Sir Robin
Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot.
He was not afraid to die, O brave Sir Robin!
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways,
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin!

He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp,
Or to have his eyes gouged out, and his elbows broken;
To have his kneecaps split, and his body burned away;
And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Robin!

His head smashed in and his heart cut out
And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged
And his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off
And his pen--

Brave Sir Robin ran away.
Bravely ran away, away!
When danger reared its ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.
Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat,
Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!

From here (http://www.stmoroky.com/sirrobin/song.htm)

Gareth
24/02/2005, 1:23 PM
Is it technically classed as an instrument, I doubt it, but the clickedy clicks of the Riverdance feet stamping in unison. That drives me crazy. Ironically it is also responsible for having created the biggest tool in entertainment too.

Lionel Ritchie
24/02/2005, 5:52 PM
while I'd say the saxophone in a split second -it is more sinned against than sinner. It's just unfortunate that the most frequent times we hear it is in muck like careless whisper.

Saxophone in many Madness records (One Step Beyond and House of Fun -two classic examples) rocks the tune like a fcuker!!!!

I personally despise "tube-compressed" bass. It's not an instrument -just an effect applied to one -in this case the electric bass.

Go have a listen to Ten by Pearl Jam and you'll know what I'm on about. or any George Michael record. Ahhh just thought of a classic example!!!!!!!!! Intro to 'Wherever I lay My Hat' (Paul Youngs version).

It's fcukin' horrible.

the 12 th man
24/02/2005, 6:27 PM
He beat a very brave retreat,
Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!

From here (http://www.stmoroky.com/sirrobin/song.htm)

well done p.s. :cool:
just added the link to my favourites :D

Pat O' Banton
24/02/2005, 6:50 PM
Is it technically classed as an instrument, I doubt it, but the clickedy clicks of the Riverdance feet stamping in unison. That drives me crazy. Ironically it is also responsible for having created the biggest tool in entertainment too.

Good shout, its no coincident that things like Stomp or tap dags are associated with this particularly annoying form of 'entertainment', people who are involved in it always look unnaturally pleased with themselves as well and make it onto to day time TV chat shows or Blue Peter as the end party piece type thing. :mad:

Thomo
24/02/2005, 8:05 PM
the oboe, the frickin oboe!!!!!! :mad:

CollegeTillIDie
24/02/2005, 10:56 PM
Oh most hated instrument, would have to be the banjo :o with a handful of exceptions it is an aural abomination.