PDA

View Full Version : Aidan Lynch and others

Schumi
22/02/2005, 12:48 PM
I got a text off that UCD text yoke that "Aiden (sic) Lynch is back training with the club" and Martin Russell and Paul Sommers have been "added to our backroom staff". I assume that they mean that Aidan Lynch has signed for us although they don't say that explicitly. It's possible that he's training with us with a view to signing but he hasn't been signed yet. :confused:

If he does sign/has signed , he'd be a great addition to our defence IMO. He was excellent when he was with us before and should do well again hopefully. That'll give us three quality centre-backs with the option to push McNally into midfield if we need to (e.g. if Tony Mac were to be suspended for the first game of the season or something :D ).

pineapple stu
22/02/2005, 12:50 PM
Wasn't Martin Russell caretaker manager of Pat's at some stage last year? Good signing then! Who's the other lad though?

I hadn't put the Tony Mac suspension together with the away to Shels on the first day fact yet...bugger... :(

Éanna
22/02/2005, 1:00 PM
there's a quote from lynch in todays Sun. Apparently he's been training with UCD but isn't sure if they'll offer him a deal due to financial constraints.

cullenswood
22/02/2005, 1:15 PM
Lynch definitely would be a great addition. Was a class act when he was here before

Schumi
22/02/2005, 1:17 PM
Wasn't Martin Russell caretaker manager of Pat's at some stage last year?Not sure but he was assistant to Eamon Collins I'm pretty sure.

Who's the other lad though?
No idea, never heard of him.

pineapple stu
22/02/2005, 1:28 PM
Not sure but he was assistant to Eamon Collins I'm pretty sure.
I think between Collins left and McDonnell took over, Russell was in charge for one match though?

Will check the Pat's forum and see what they're saying...

Éanna
22/02/2005, 3:16 PM
Who's the other lad though?
came from cherry orchard apparently
http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=2525

Schumi
22/02/2005, 3:23 PM
Thanks for that Éanna, I googled him but only got a load of links on some American guy who's done $hitloads of research on stuff to do with American sports!

Éanna
22/02/2005, 3:25 PM
yeah I tried google too and got the same

Poor Student
22/02/2005, 8:57 PM
It's good I suppose but I want to see an extra centre midfielder especially considering both Anto Murphy and Tony Mac are out of the first game. At the end of last season I remember Mahon saying he'd probably add two experienced signings one of which would be a midfielder.

pineapple stu
22/02/2005, 9:07 PM
Lynch can play centre-mid too, though. And Dicker's been dong well for Ireland lately. Unless you mean an attacking mid? I still don't think we've replaced Finn, to be honest.

Poor Student
23/02/2005, 2:44 PM
Lynch can play centre-mid too, though. And Dicker's been dong well for Ireland lately. Unless you mean an attacking mid? I still don't think we've replaced Finn, to be honest.

I didn't know he could. I mean an all round midfielder in general. With two up front and four across the middle we don't play too blatant an attacking midfielder. What is Dicker like exactly? Attacking? I just remember seeing him score a goal late against Athlone as a late sub.

Who do we have now at centre mid? Tony Mac, McNally and Lynch as utility options, Dicker and Murphy?

pineapple stu
23/02/2005, 3:07 PM
Who do we have now at centre mid? Tony Mac, McNally and Lynch as utility options, Dicker and Murphy?

Pretty much, I suppose. Although if Sully made the transition on occasion, maybe Newguy could too...

Anyone heard any news on the scholarships this year? Usually some news by now! Unless after signing 25 players last year, we're not bothering with anyone this year!

Might see more of Damien Kelly this season actually - a winger, which is what we need as well. Nominated for the Ireland Schools Player of the Year award.

pineapple stu
23/02/2005, 3:16 PM
Anyone heard any news on the scholarships this year? Usually some news by now!

Replying to my own post here, but we had news of scholarship signings by the 9th of February last year. That's two weeks ago. Our first friendly is the same weekend as our first game last year. What's the story? :confused:

Schumi
23/02/2005, 3:21 PM
Quote from the article in that kit-man thread:
On Thursday, he was at UCD's scholarship trials looking to unearth some stars for the upcoming Premier Division season.

CollegeTillIDie
23/02/2005, 11:25 PM
Replying to my own post here, but we had news of scholarship signings by the 9th of February last year. That's two weeks ago. Our first friendly is the same weekend as our first game last year. What's the story? :confused:

Was talking to Tony Sheridan about the trials. Apparently this year's crop of triallists are not as good as last year's were.

pineapple stu
24/02/2005, 12:42 PM
Seems the Aidan Lynch story is gainin momentum...

From eleven-a-side (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/ucd/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=16171)

Former UCD captain Aidan Lynch is set to return to the club for the 2005 eircom League Premier Division after being released by Drogheda United over the winter.

Lynch spent two seasons at United Park, but was never able to convince manager Paul Doolin to hand him an extended run in the side.

And despite the departure of last season’s Drogheda captain Danny O’Connor, which left the Drogs short of experienced cover at the centre of defence, Lynch was also allowed to leave the club.

A member of the Irish under-20 squad that reached the semi-finals of the World Youth Championships in 1997, Lynch is expected to complete his return to UCD in the coming days.

Schumi
24/02/2005, 12:43 PM
That's good news. Was he full time with Drogheda, does anyone know?

pineapple stu
24/02/2005, 12:46 PM
Also news on eleven-a-side (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/ucd/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=16174) about Martin Russell...

New UCD coach Martin Russell has made a quick impact at the Belfield club, according to the Students’ manager Pete Mahon.

Mahon moved for Russell last week, ending nine months out the game for the former St Patrick’s Athletic favourite since his departure from Richmond Park early last season.

The 37-year-old Finglas native started his career at Belvedere before joining Manchester United, and although he failed to make any first-team impact at Old Trafford, he did gain extensive English league experience through spells at Birmingham City, Leicester City, Scarborough and Middlesbrough.

He returned to Ireland to join Portadown in 1991, spending seven years north of the border before arriving at St Pats, where he helped the Richmond Park side to two League of Ireland crowns.

And he has made a quick impression on the coaching side of things at UCD. College boss Mahon told the Irish Daily Star: “Straight away the players were really impressed by him. Martin has such a good standing in the game and he has played it at the highest level with great success.”

Didn't realise he was over with Manchester United! Also decent bit of league experience. Sounds a very good signing. Yer man Sommers as well sounds like he'd know a fair bit about the youth leagues, which is good.

CollegeTillIDie
24/02/2005, 6:57 PM
Aidan Lynch is a part-time professional. He is a qualified secondary school teacher. His return to the ranks should not be seen as a surprise as he was a regular coach at U.C.D. Soccer Camps even while he was playing for Drogheda United. And it also means the Lovely Bernie(his sister) will probably be back in Belfield Park on a regular basis as well as his parents. So more support too :D

pineapple stu
25/02/2005, 2:58 PM
Apparently he's been training with UCD but isn't sure if they'll offer him a deal due to financial constraints.
I presume now that the prize money for the league has jumped 300%, this wil boost our budget and may bring this signing closer to fruition?

Bald Student
25/02/2005, 3:15 PM
I presume now that the prize money for the league has jumped 300%, this wil boost our budget and may bring this signing closer to fruition?
We won't see ant of thet money for at least a year. Also, everyone's budget will be up not just ours.

pineapple stu
25/02/2005, 4:03 PM
But the reason we mightn't be signing him is because we don't have the wages budget at present. Our wages budget is based on our budget for the upcoming season. Our upcoming season budget will include the lowest possible prize money - which, assuming every team gets some amount of prize money, will be up. Consequently our wages budget will increase and consequently - if no-one else wants to sign him (which at the moment, they don't), we'll have a bit of extra money in our wages budget, which will ease the financial constraints and therefore make it more likely that we'll sign him.

QED! :)

pineapple stu
25/02/2005, 8:27 PM
Was talking to Tony Sheridan about the trials. Apparently this year's crop of triallists are not as good as last year's were.
Yep, sounds like we mightn't even sign any! However, the schools trials are much more promising (that's the scholarships we announce in June depending on Leaving Cert results), and might get a few out of that.

BobtheDrog
02/03/2005, 3:37 PM
And it also means the Lovely Bernie(his sister) will probably be back in Belfield Park on a regular basis as well as his parents. So more support too :D

unless of course their supporting Aidans brother Damien who is now at united park

pineapple stu
02/03/2005, 5:15 PM
That's assuming they haven't disowned him! :D

BobtheDrog
04/03/2005, 7:54 PM
he was brilliant playing centre mid out in galway

Roo69
09/03/2005, 12:11 PM
I got a text off that UCD text yoke that "Aiden (sic) Lynch is back training with the club" and Martin Russell and Paul Sommers have been "added to our backroom staff". I assume that they mean that Aidan Lynch has signed for us although they don't say that explicitly. It's possible that he's training with us with a view to signing but he hasn't been signed yet. :confused:

If he does sign/has signed , he'd be a great addition to our defence IMO. He was excellent when he was with us before and should do well again hopefully. That'll give us three quality centre-backs with the option to push McNally into midfield if we need to (e.g. if Tony Mac were to be suspended for the first game of the season or something :D ).

I thought UCD would have snapped Aidan Lynch up, quality player with loads of experience. He is due for Contract talks with Bray over the next few days and is hoping for a contract.

pineapple stu
09/03/2005, 12:19 PM
He is now training with Bray alright - eleven-a-side (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/ucd/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=16385). Seems our wages budget has been filled...

CollegeTillIDie
10/03/2005, 5:27 PM
pineapple stu

Our club has a history of putting the financial welfare of the operation ahead of short term on field gain. This might be another example. Perhaps in a year with the extra TV money accruing to all clubs from Mr Delaney´s wonderful deal (remains to be seen I know) we will be able to afford him!