PDA

View Full Version : Kevin O'Connor

DannyInvincible
06/06/2017, 1:39 PM
Preston look set to sign 22-year-old full-back and former under-21 international Kevin O'Connor from Cork City along with Sean Maguire: http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/pne-line-up-second-signing-of-summer-1-8579363

Sources in Ireland say a deal between the two clubs is done, with the 22-year-old on the verge of signing. Like Maguire, who has scored 19 goals in 20 games so far this season, O’Connor is a key part of the Cork side that sits 18 points clear at the top of the table.

An attack-minded full-back, he can play in a back four, in front of a conventional left back or as a wing back. O’Connor is also known for his excellent set-piece delivery. A good friend of Maguire’s and PNE midfielder Alan Browne – a former Cork City man himself – his arrival would see North End sign 
another League of Ireland pair.

Further info on O'Connor from ExtraTime.ie: http://www.extratime.ie/player/11115202/kevin_oconnor/

And from TransferMarkt.com: https://www.transfermarkt.com/kevin-oconnor/profil/spieler/228778

liamoo11
06/06/2017, 1:51 PM
Would Cunningham be moving on?

liamoo11
06/06/2017, 1:55 PM
If Mcguire Delaney and o Connor all move on in July it surely will be big blow . Will give young Griffin a chance to play left full

Charlie Darwin
06/06/2017, 2:47 PM
Bit of circular reporting here. Lancashire Post is reporting he's moving based on the Irish Sun report, now other Irish papers are reporting it as done because the Lancashire Post are reporting it.

DannyInvincible
06/06/2017, 3:08 PM
Would Cunningham be moving on?

From what I've read, Cunningham will stay and O'Connor's signing would be to provide squad depth.

Olé Olé
06/06/2017, 5:03 PM
From what I've read, Cunningham will stay and O'Connor's signing would be to provide squad depth.

Not ideal though. He looks a cracking player. Disapppinted to hear that he's only going to be second choice.

If Williams stays at Champ level and Stevens is coming up, as well as Doherty and Cunningham we have a lot of LBs at that level.

sidewayspasser
06/06/2017, 5:09 PM
Does anyone know if O'Connor has a release clause in his contract?

DannyInvincible
06/06/2017, 5:55 PM
Not ideal though. He looks a cracking player. Disapppinted to hear that he's only going to be second choice.

If Williams stays at Champ level and Stevens is coming up, as well as Doherty and Cunningham we have a lot of LBs at that level.

In terms of up-and-coming left-backs in the League of Ireland, Trevor Clarke also looks an exciting prospect. He's only 19 and came through the Middlesbrough academy before moving back to Shamrock Rovers, but he could be one for the future.

micls
06/06/2017, 6:38 PM
He doesn't apparently.

Charlie Darwin
06/06/2017, 11:04 PM
In terms of up-and-coming left-backs in the League of Ireland, Trevor Clarke also looks an exciting prospect. He's only 19 and came through the Middlesbrough academy before moving back to Shamrock Rovers, but he could be one for the future.
Clarke's a winger really. He was playing left back because Luke Byrne was injured for a year and has moved forward since he came back.

sbgawa
06/06/2017, 11:15 PM
And then scored two fantastic goals in the firSt few games up front.....

Olé Olé
07/06/2017, 9:51 AM
Kilbane was once again outted as PNE's LOI scout. He says he tipped Grayson off to O'Connor about 18 months to 2 years ago having seen him for City and our under 21 side.

He also stated that it's a no brainer for Grayson as he's picking up these lads at what he knows to be good value. This has been demonstrated by the quality of Horgan and Boyle in both matches and training, he says. And Grayson is "delighted" with them.

Kilbane reckons that Grayson has such flexibility in terms of the system he plays that he can see O'Connor and Cunningham both playing left back when it shifts to 3-5-2, he can see Cunningham slotting in at the left of the 3 and O'Connor at the left of the 5.

They also made a point of the training that O'Connor did in the off-season to bulk up so it's really a prime time for him to move into the Championship as a result.

Olé Olé
07/06/2017, 9:58 AM
Not sure if this is the right thread to make the point or not but it's one worth making nonetheless in the week that's in it.

There has been discussion about the strength of the PL. I think it was Newstalk over the weekend that reference was made to the fact that the top clubs in Spain get stronger as the players can rest up more to perform in Europe as not every game is a dogfight like the PL can be.

Horgan and Boyle performed admirably in Europe against top flight opposition. The net result was that they ended up at Championship sides (initially). We will see this summer how O'Connor and Maguire fare in Europe.

It goes to show, I think, that the standard of player we have at PL and Championship level, even if they aren't at top 4 clubs like may have been the case in years gone by, is still very high compared to both previous generations of Irish teams but also to the other international sides that we would have been warned about over the years e.g. Austria and Bosnia. Serbia away springs to mind as well.

It's a point I've made before so I'm probably harping on. However, when you take into account that Jeff Hendrick was in and out of the Derby team for a bit of 15/16 and was brilliant against top flight European players against Italy and Sweden then it gives a good measurement of my point (albeit an isolated measurement).

Of course, we can point to an unwillingness from our players to play in European clubs which can be a valid point for certain players (could Jack Byrne be with an Ajax now had he stuck at it there in Holland?).

However, Wes plays in the Championship........

Olé Olé
07/06/2017, 10:00 AM
What about second-string WBA winger McClean absolutely blasting past the acclaimed Atletico defender Gimenez?

nigel-harps1954
07/06/2017, 2:11 PM
I don't think it's worth looking at the Championship at the same level as what the old Division 1 was under the Premier League. The Championship is rated higher than some most divisions across Europe these days outside of the top 4 or 5 nations. There's no shame in having Championship players in any squad if they're up in around the top 6 teams. Players are constantly swapping between Premier League and Championship clubs now.

DannyInvincible
05/07/2017, 11:59 AM
O'Connor on signing for Preston (http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/new-club-new-boss-for-cork-citys-kevin-oconnor-453864.html):

It’s a massive opportunity. I’m just looking forward to getting started now and I couldn’t be happier to sign. From the first minute the club showed an interest in me they were keen to sign me and they were the ones who pursued it. It’s a great club, a big club and there’s a big fan base so I’m just excited to get started.

I know a few of the boys already obviously with Sean [Maguire] moving over and Alan [Browne] there, and that will help me settle in quicker. I also played against a couple of the boys last year - Boyle and Horgan - so I’m just looking forward to seeing all the lads now and getting started.

O'Connor will continue to play for Cork up until the 24th of July and will be available for the Europa League second qualifying round games if Cork knock Levadia out tomorrow.

Cork manager John Caulfield said the following about O'Connor's departure:

While we never want a player to move on during the season, it shows how far the club has come and it is a fantastic deal for Kevin which puts him at a higher level. With Kevin going, it now opens the opportunity for other players in the squad to stake a claim and that is great in a competitive squad like ours.

DannyInvincible
03/11/2017, 12:38 AM
O'Connor came on for Preston against Villa last night. I know he played for Preston before against Accrington Stanley in the EFL Cup but pretty certain last night was his Championship debut.

Stuttgart88
03/11/2017, 11:24 AM
were there 5 ex LOI players on the pitch for PNE in that game?

tetsujin1979
03/11/2017, 11:28 AM
yep, Maguire, O'Connor, Boyle, Horgan and Browne. Second time this season after Accrington-Preston had Seamus Conneely, O'Connor, Browne, Maguire and Boyle on the pitch at the same time in August

passinginterest
02/01/2018, 4:35 PM
Won a million on the lotto! Some lads have all the luck. https://m.facebook.com/WexfordPeople.ie/photos/a.208068719273449.51380.208039342609720/1636183153128658/?type=3&source=48
Apologies if Facebook link doesn’t work. Front page of the Wexford People

Diggs246
02/01/2018, 6:07 PM
Fair play too him. Best of luck, enjoy the win and keep playing your best

samhaydenjr
03/01/2018, 1:09 AM
Wow, probably the only person in the world who can say that 2017 was totally awesome!

nigel-harps1954
03/01/2018, 8:53 AM
Wow, probably the only person in the world who can say that 2017 was totally awesome!

And that 2018 has kicked off well with a lotto win?

seanfhear
09/01/2018, 9:02 AM
Hopefully the big money does not go to his head....and start believing that playing the lotto is easier than playing football .

Best of luck to the lad . I hope it all goes well for him .

samhaydenjr
25/01/2018, 10:18 PM
Gone to Fleetwood on loan: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0125/936009-kevin-oconnor-makes-loan-move-away-from-preston/

zero
25/01/2018, 10:22 PM
Gone to Fleetwood on loan: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0125/936009-kevin-oconnor-makes-loan-move-away-from-preston/

would fleetwood sign a millionaire, a wexford lad, ex city player?

Olé Olé
25/01/2018, 10:44 PM
Fair play to him for playing along with that video Fleetwood made to announce his signing in the link.

Decent move for him. A good run of games at that level will do him a lot of good and Cian Bolger and Paddy Madden are both there.

liamoo11
25/01/2018, 11:23 PM
Fair play to him for playing along with that video Fleetwood made to announce his signing in the link.

Decent move for him. A good run of games at that level will do him a lot of good and Cian Bolger and Paddy Madden are both there.

interesting Fleetwood needed a left full cause they sold their to Blackburn last week. Considering derrick Williams has played every game left full for Blackburn this season hopefully it means Williams is getting a move up to championship

Olé Olé
26/01/2018, 6:18 AM
interesting Fleetwood needed a left full cause they sold their to Blackburn last week. Considering derrick Williams has played every game left full for Blackburn this season hopefully it means Williams is getting a move up to championship
https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/january/del-on-goals-and-competition/

Good bit of detective work but it doesn't appear that Williams is pushing for a move above.

Darragh Lenihan is returning to fitness at Blackburn also. A real pity he didn't get that move to Sheffield United given how good a season they are having.

nigel-harps1954
26/01/2018, 7:08 AM
would fleetwood sign a millionaire, a wexford lad, ex city player?

Fleetwood would would Fleetwood.

Olé Olé
27/01/2018, 3:28 PM
O'Connor started today away to Gillingham as one of 6 Irish on the pitch- Bolger and Madden on his Fleetwood team with Garmston, Byrne and Reilly starting for the Gills.

liamoo11
27/01/2018, 3:41 PM
O'Connor started today away to Gillingham as one of 6 Irish on the pitch- Bolger and Madden on his Fleetwood team with Garmston, Byrne and Reilly starting for the Gills.

How many of them might get a cap for us in the future?

Olé Olé
27/01/2018, 4:45 PM
How many of them might get a cap for us in the future?
I would guess 2 or 3. Bolger, O'Connor and potentially Garmston. Reilly didn't make much impact at Championship level (still has time though) whilst Byrne is pushing on in age and Madden will do well to get another stab at Championship, let alone impress sufficiently to warrant another call-up. What do you think?

micls
27/01/2018, 6:12 PM
I would guess 2 or 3. Bolger, O'Connor and potentially Garmston. Reilly didn't make much impact at Championship level (still has time though) whilst Byrne is pushing on in age and Madden will do well to get another stab at Championship, let alone impress sufficiently to warrant another call-up. What do you think?

O Connor won't get a cap. Good chance he'll be back in LOI in 5 years. Definitely not championship standard

DeLorean
29/08/2018, 3:27 PM
Joins Crewe on loan until January - https://www.crewealex.net/news/2018/august/done-deal-kevin-oconnor-joins-on-loan/

DeLorean
05/09/2018, 8:47 AM
Picked up a bad knock last night - https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/crewe-boss-expects-preston-north-end-loanee-kevin-o-connor-to-be-okay-after-being-stretchered-off-with-head-injury-1-9334786