PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Uruguay - Sunday 4th June 2017 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3

Closed Account
04/06/2017, 5:02 AM
Brady first to score today/tomorrow?

No gin left. Huge reservations about Christie, not a fan. No left foot. Not a fan of Keogh or Arter either.

My xi for Austria
Randolph.
Keogh, O'Shea, Duffy, Ward;
Whelan, O'Kane;
Hebdrick, Hoolahan, Brady;
Walters.

Harsh on McClean.

Closed Account
04/06/2017, 5:13 AM
I'll clarify why I don't like Arter a little.

Possession.
Watch a top game in any division, premier league, LA liga, bundesliga, serie A, even ligue 1, don't give away the ball and nobody can punish you. From the 15 or so games I've seen Arter, he gives it away, in the worst areas of the pitch. Rant over .

TrapAPony
04/06/2017, 12:45 PM
Brady first to score today/tomorrow?

No gin left. Huge reservations about Christie, not a fan. No left foot. Not a fan of Keogh or Arter either.

My xi for Austria
Randolph.
Keogh, O'Shea, Duffy, Ward;
Whelan, O'Kane;
Hebdrick, Hoolahan, Brady;
Walters.

Harsh on McClean.

Personally, I would omit Hendrick who is still living off the performance against Sweden and the one great goal he got for Burnley. He is Mr. Anonymous more often than not. The team is always unbalanced looking trying to accommodate him in any case. I would put McClean in there instead. However, we all know Hendrick will start because that is what MON likes. Arter will start ahead of O'Kane. Not a fan of Richard Keogh at right back or centre back. I think Christie is going to start as he is the only obviously recognised right back whether he can defend or not.

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 1:35 PM
Quinn would be well within his rights to go off on holiday right now and put this miserable campaign behind him. But instead, Martin O’Neill revealed yesterday that he had actually asked to train with the Irish squad, despite having no chance of playing any of the games and having been seldom used at international level since the Derry native took charge of the team.

“I don’t think it’s even been in doubt that players do want to come,” the Irish boss said yesterday, when asked if his stars would prefer to be on their holidays right now.

I’ll give you an example, we have young Quinn who has not played for some considerable time just asked would it be alright to come and join in for the week — he knows the players, it is a chance to get some fitness. He won’t be considered obviously for the games. He just wanted to come. I don’t want people to think this is just a free-for-all and anybody can turn up, because you might have some of the older players, who have retired 15 years, (arriving). But overall, the atmosphere has always been pretty good.”

Even if Quinn never plays a competitive game at international level again, it’s attitudes such as his that have — as much as anything else — contributed hugely to a harmonious environment and helped the Irish side to regularly punch above their weight in recent times.

http://www.the42.ie/will-ireland-come-to-rue-omitting-sean-maguire-3425727-Jun2017/

But he didn't miss his teammate's wedding?

DannyInvincible
04/06/2017, 1:54 PM
Randolph was #1 for the Mexico game:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBehFtlXoAAPLcl.jpg

But he's back to his usual #23 for this evening (https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/871354131071602689):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBer82mXsAItd9n.jpg

I'm guessing the fact his jersey and gloves are laid out first in the dressing room suggests he's probably going to start.

pineapple stu
04/06/2017, 2:04 PM
Actually thought for a second there that Duffer had come out of retirement looking at that Mexico line-up.

tetsujin1979
04/06/2017, 2:06 PM
Spinning the Uruguay discussion out into its own thread

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 3:50 PM
https://twitter.com/FAIreland

Randolph, Christie, Long, Duffy, Brady, Hendrick, Whelan, Arter, Hayes, Walters

Long and Duffy auditioning to partner O'Shea?
Walters to start up front against Austria?
Hayes and Brady auditioning to start opposite McClean?

Looks like Arter and not Hoolahan will be starting against Austria. Bottle job.

mark12345
04/06/2017, 3:55 PM
Anyone know of a live stream?

mark12345
04/06/2017, 4:00 PM
Personally, I would omit Hendrick who is still living off the performance against Sweden and the one great goal he got for Burnley. He is Mr. Anonymous more often than not. The team is always unbalanced looking trying to accommodate him in any case. I would put McClean in there instead. However, we all know Hendrick will start because that is what MON likes. Arter will start ahead of O'Kane. Not a fan of Richard Keogh at right back or centre back. I think Christie is going to start as he is the only obviously recognised right back whether he can defend or not.

Agree with your analysis on Hendrick. He threatened to be a breakout player in our midfield, but that potential seems to have waned. I like Arter, I also like O'Kane. How Whelan continues to get his game is beyond me? Christie at right-back? I think you're right - he will start simply because there is no one else (I would have liked to see Andy Boyle given a chance there). As far as Christie goes, he lacks pace to get past last defender and similarly he can be caught for pace at the back. Keogh is a decent center half. Who knows he might find a home at right back for next Sunday.

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 4:34 PM
None of the lads on EirSport picked Arter to play in their preferred 11 against Austria.

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 5:12 PM
Clever flick by Walters.

Whelan really has an awful shot, doesn't he?

Closed Account
04/06/2017, 5:18 PM
Every time I see the replay of the goal against Italy, I still find it hard to believe he'll score. Used to score a few for Wednesday didnt he?

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 5:22 PM
Confident start by Long.

Christie and Brady linking up well.

Excellent delivery from Brady for the Duffy chance.

DannyInvincible
04/06/2017, 5:28 PM
Great goal. Walters has done really well so far with some nice touches.

tetsujin1979
Lovely finish from Walters

Closed Account
Peach.

Closed Account
04/06/2017, 5:39 PM
https://streamable.com/xhk0v
https://streamable.com/p3x60
Poor from Randolph, we look very suspect from set plays.

paul_oshea
04/06/2017, 5:39 PM
Randolph doing what randolph does best. Getting lost in no mans land

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 5:40 PM
Great technique by Walters.

Bad technique by Randolph.

There shall be some interesting water cooler conversation after this.

DannyInvincible
Really poor from Randolph there.

TheOneWhoKnocks
https://streamable.com/xhk0v

Poor from Randolph, we look very suspect from set plays.

I think Ward has been poor enough so far.

tetsujin1979
Any keeper that comes that far for a cross really has to claim it

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 5:42 PM
Looks like Arter is injured.

*False alarm.

DannyInvincible
04/06/2017, 5:45 PM
Not sure how Walters missed that. Move deserved a goal.

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 5:45 PM
Walters really must do better there.

Similar to Austria, harder to miss than score.

Closed Account
04/06/2017, 5:46 PM
Impressive miss from Walters. Me nan could have scored that, god rest her soul.

DannyInvincible
04/06/2017, 5:48 PM
Brady's delivery has been good.

TheOneWhoKnocks
Westwood, O'Kane, Hoolahan, McClean and Murphy for Randolph, Whelan, Arter, Hayes and Walters sooner rather than later please.

pineapple stu
Is that one of the worst misses in an Ireland jersey ever?

Relive your nightmares here.

Struggling to think of a comparable one at present

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 5:49 PM
Is that one of the worst misses in an Ireland jersey ever?

Relive your nightmares here.

Struggling to think of a comparable one at present

The same player missed one just seven or so months ago that was arguably as worse.

DeLorean
04/06/2017, 5:58 PM
About time we started playing our best goalkeeper I think. It's not even close between the two imo. Westwood makes the occasional mistake, Randoph makes them on a regular basis. Thankfully it has happened in a friendly again.

The Walters miss in Vienna was nowhere near as bad as this one I think.

Not as bad a miss but Ray Houghton at Wembley comes to mind. Still sickened.

mark12345
04/06/2017, 6:00 PM
None of the lads on EirSport picked Arter to play in their preferred 11 against Austria.

Wonder what they're thinking after his performance in that first half?

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 6:03 PM
Wonder what they're thinking after his performance in that first half?

It's alright. He's playing good passes, sideways and backwards, hardly reinventing the wheel.

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 6:04 PM
About time we started playing our best goalkeeper I think. It's not even close between the two imo. Westwood makes the occasional mistake, Randoph makes them on a regular basis. Thankfully it has happened in a friendly again.

The Walters miss in Vienna was nowhere near as bad as this one I think.

Not as bad a miss but Ray Houghton at Wembley comes to mind. Still sickened.

I think Randolph has the mentality to bounce back from this. He hasn't put a foot wrong for us in competitive games IMO.

Ooooooh Westwood's coming on. Interesting.

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 6:07 PM
Just as an aside, the amount of women of all ages I have seen ogling Martin Caceres is unreal.

DannyInvincible
04/06/2017, 6:09 PM
Christie defs meant it... ;)

pineapple stu
04/06/2017, 6:09 PM
Christie with a near-replica of his only other international goal!

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 6:11 PM
Andrews thinks it was a cross.

It really is amazing how many goals, and flashpoints, Hoolahan is involved in.

He really has to start against Austria.

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 6:13 PM
Westwood really should be holding on to that.

DeLorean
04/06/2017, 6:14 PM
I think Randolph has the mentality to bounce back from this. He hasn't put a foot wrong for us in competitive games IMO.

Ooooooh Westwood's coming on. Interesting.

I think his performances at club level are relevant too, no point in being blind to the fact that he's a pretty average goalkeeper at best. It's playing with fire I think. He has regular mistakes in him, I like the guy but we have a far better option not being used I think. But I guess we all know how everybody feels about this matter by now.

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 6:15 PM
Excellent by Hoolahan and Arter doing well to win free kick.

Hoolahan, a master at his craft against Mexico and again tonight.

He has a part to play against Austria.

Whether it's as a starter or off the bench...

DeLorean
04/06/2017, 6:15 PM
Christie with a near-replica of his only other international goal!

Just said the same thing here, obviously the Gibraltar one was with the outside of his right and maybe more intentional, but similar nonetheless.

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 6:16 PM
I think his performances at club level are relevant too, no point in being blind to the fact that he's a pretty average goalkeeper at best. It's playing with fire I think. He has regular mistakes in him, I like the guy but we have a far better option not being used I think. But I guess we all know how everybody feels about this matter by now.

Well, within 10 minutes of coming on Westwood spills a ball and gets away with it because there was no Uruguay forward in the box to anticipate it.

Could be a different story in a competitive environment.

DannyInvincible
04/06/2017, 6:17 PM
Good start to this half. Hoolahan making the difference again.

I think Andrews is correct. Christie's "effort" looked like a pass/cross to me. If he was attempting a shot, he'd surely have put more power into it.

paul_oshea
04/06/2017, 6:18 PM
Lovely by hoolahan there. We are playing some nice stuff. Controlling it, granted uruguay only at 90%

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 6:21 PM
I think Arter has played well, better than he played against Austria in fact, but it should be either Hendrick or Whelan he is competing with for a place in the team, not Hoolahan.

This is the problem with bringing so many center backs. He has to reward Pearce with some minutes for travelling to the US. Not necessarily Pearce's fault, but O'Neill's.

What's the story with O'Shea, injured?

Big ask starting him against Austria with no minutes to settle him in.

DeLorean
04/06/2017, 6:24 PM
Well, within 10 minutes of coming on Westwood spills a ball and gets away with it because there was no Uruguay forward in the box to anticipate it.

Could be a different story in a competitive environment.

I'm not saying Westwood is flawless, I'm just saying he's a lot better. You disagree. Fair enough.

DeLorean
04/06/2017, 6:25 PM
Lovely by hoolahan there. We are playing some nice stuff. Controlling it, granted uruguay only at 90%

90 is generous I think, fulfilling a fixture comes to mind. Similar to the England friendly, except we're much better.

DannyInvincible
04/06/2017, 6:26 PM
Great save from Westwood.