PDA

View Full Version : League set for full FAI merger

Slash/ED
21/02/2005, 6:29 PM
League set for full FAI merger (http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1344816&issue_id=12116)

THE eircom League has voted overwhelmingly to press ahead with merger talks with the FAI following the election of Athlone Town's Paddy McCaul as League chairman.

McCaul is an advocate of a merger and the fact that he faced no competition shows the level of support for the restart of merger talks.

Talks will begin almost immediately, with FAI Interim Chief Executive John Delaney insisting the Association can offer the League substantial prize funds as well as extra marketing manpower.

The first evidence of this will be announced in the next fortnight when the FAI hope to announce a new multi-channel television deal which will massively increase the number of live eircom League matches.

"It will be a myriad of revenues that the FAI doesn't have at present," said Delaney. "I started it up in the last couple of months with the RTE deal and over the next couple of weeks, I hope to bring to the board of the FAI an arrangement which I hope will give increased prize funds to the League."

At present, the League champions receive €18,000 in prize money, but Delaney pointed out that the Setanta Cup, with an annual prize fund of €400,000, proves that untapped revenue streams do exist.

"I know where we can get those funds and I know how we can do it. Now we've got to go out and put some meat on the bone of the League's prize fund."

In return, Delaney is looking for the League to give up some of its independence. Although the two organisations did merge in some areas ten years ago, the League maintained an independent structure. Delaney wants to change that, citing the Genesis Report as an example of the changes needed.

"Genesis said that a 24-person board was too big (for the FAI) and, at the moment, the League's 22 clubs meet every month," Delaney pointed out. "I served on that committee for a stage and I believe that the size of the committee makes it very difficult to bring the League to the stage where we need to bring it.

"I would envisage a smaller committee, made up half of FAI and half of League people. It could then make quicker, better decisions and lead to a more structured development of the League."

Owen Cowzer

Copied from the Bohs messageboard, I actually haven't got a password for the unison website so that link could be anything, but it's big news if so. I don't trust Delaney, not by a long shot, but if he secures a "multi-channel" TV deal it'll do a bit to win me over.

Sorry if this has already been posted

Incidentally someone on the same messageboard also posted "The corresponding piece in the Times mentions that talks between RTE, Setanta and TG4 on broadcast rights are close to a conclusion and that we can look forward to live coverage of a game on the opening day, with our match looking most likely." Again, brilliant if true.

pete
21/02/2005, 8:58 PM
hard to run down more lIve football but a weekly comprehensive hourly hightlights how would be so much better.

I can watch Premiership highlights but would have to pay me to watch some of the live games.

I suppose a full merger is a good thing but why are the FAI so keen on it as they generally don't give the impression they could care less about the eL.

A face
21/02/2005, 9:04 PM
I suppose a full merger is a good thing but why are the FAI so keen on it as they generally don't give the impression they could care less about the eL.

Should we be worried .... what has the dooshbag delaney up his sleeve now ??

We'll have and see how all this extra time on the screens pans out ... once bitten and all that.

Slash/ED
21/02/2005, 9:13 PM
once bitten and all that.

Absolutley, we'll see how this TV deal pans out, it could all be hot air.

Also I agree with Pete, a well produced, properly done full highlights package on at a decent hour would be more valuable than more live games. I think Setanta said something about doing one when they first arrived on the scene so, hopefully we'll get one.