PDA

View Full Version : Mid Season Friendly Thread

RathfarnhamHoop
01/06/2017, 12:46 PM
Everyones probably already heard by now but Rovers are hosting Celtic in tallaght on the 8th July. Pre sale to members and season ticket holders at tomorrows match and on general sale from Saturday. That said I got mine online just there so I don't know what the craic is with that. Definitely going to sell out as celtic are bringing a full squad.

dundalkfc10
01/06/2017, 12:48 PM
Everyones probably already heard by now but Rovers are hosting Celtic in tallaght on the 8th July. Pre sale to members and season ticket holders at tomorrows match and on general sale from Saturday. That said I got mine online just there so I don't know what the craic is with that. Definitely going to sell out as celtic are bringing a full squad.

Celtic have a champions league qualifier on 11th or 12th of July (possibly the far side of Europe). No way will they bring a full team!

RathfarnhamHoop
01/06/2017, 12:54 PM
Celtic have a champions league qualifier on 11th or 12th of July (possibly the far side of Europe). No way will they bring a full team!

"it won't be a celtic 11 or reserves, we're bringing the strongest squad that we have"
Brendan Rodgers

vinnie
01/06/2017, 1:16 PM

To be fair, If Celtic brought their over 50's womens team it'll still sell out

Mr A
01/06/2017, 1:22 PM
Maybe, but Celtic went for a few years there bringing rubbish teams over to play here and people stopped buying it. Would see this as different as they will be preparing for Europe by this stage.

RathfarnhamHoop
01/06/2017, 1:43 PM
Maybe, but Celtic went for a few years there bringing rubbish teams over to play here and people stopped buying it. Would see this as different as they will be preparing for Europe by this stage.
They were caught cold by red imps last year so maybe playing a strong team is their way of avoiding that again.
I'm just surprised rovers got to announce it and the fai didn't beat them to it

Lim till i die
01/06/2017, 1:43 PM
Stella swilling, faux Republican, persecution complex, sectarian, nutbags.

Why celtic would agree to play them is beyond me.

nigel-harps1954
01/06/2017, 1:55 PM
Got sick of seeing Celtic in Finn Park. Just wasn't a draw anymore.
Weekend trip for some Celtic fans though before their season start.

Real ale Madrid
01/06/2017, 2:04 PM
To be fair, If Celtic brought their over 50's womens team it'll still sell out

TOWK likes this.

El-Pietro
01/06/2017, 3:08 PM
Does this really need its own thread? Its just another mid season friendly.

sbgawa
01/06/2017, 4:39 PM
West stand sold out already----------- fair play to rovers , season ticket holders and members can buy tickets for a tenner tommorow night at the Pats game. Good to see them looking after loyal fans.

Mr A
01/06/2017, 4:48 PM
Does this really need its own thread? Its just another mid season friendly.

And behold, it became a general mid season friendly thread.

RathfarnhamHoop
01/06/2017, 5:56 PM
West stand sold out already----------- fair play to rovers , season ticket holders and members can buy tickets for a tenner tommorow night at the Pats game. Good to see them looking after loyal fans.
East looks sold out too now

sbgawa
01/06/2017, 8:06 PM
They might have taken tickets off sale until after season ticket holders buy theirs tommorow night. Hope so anyway I'll be in the q ;)

RathfarnhamHoop
01/06/2017, 8:12 PM
They might have taken tickets off sale until after season ticket holders buy theirs tommorow night. Hope so anyway I'll be in the q ;)
i hope they have. also hope they let me get an east ticket with my main season ticket as i want to stand and there isnt a chance of that happening in the main stand

colonelwest
01/06/2017, 9:46 PM
Stella swilling, faux Republican, persecution complex, sectarian, nutbags.

Why celtic would agree to play them is beyond me.

Enough about Rovers fans, what are your thoughts on the Celtic lads?

ger121
02/06/2017, 2:31 PM
No need for a half and half Jersey at this one.

littlebray
02/06/2017, 2:36 PM
And behold, it became a general mid season friendly thread.
And lo, not a word about anything but the original topic ...

Longfordian
02/06/2017, 5:39 PM
I'd like* to talk about Limerick's proposed friendly with Crystal Palace. Is that still going ahead now Samuel has left? Are they still trying to fundraise to pay for Palace's pre-season?

*I'm mildly curious and we have to keep littlebray happy

cobhlad
07/06/2017, 11:26 AM
Cobh to host Norwich on July 5th in St Colman's. Nice coup for us and Wes alone should draw out a crowd. Looking forward to it

Jd2793
07/06/2017, 11:42 AM
Lets hope Cobh do a Cabo and fix their pitch for the big friendly.

Dalymountrower
07/06/2017, 12:09 PM
Re name it St Colman`s Park and they could hold the Mustard Bowl against Norwich every year.

pineapple stu
07/06/2017, 1:09 PM
Cabo 2-5 New Zealand this week. No guest players for Cabo I think.

We're playing Charlton. With, erm...Maybe leave that one with me...

Real ale Madrid
07/06/2017, 1:29 PM
Re name it St Colman`s Park and they could hold the Mustard Bowl against Norwich every year.

I think I've heard this joke before - might be a case of Dijon Vu.

Dalymountrower
07/06/2017, 1:50 PM
I think I've heard this joke before - might be a case of Dijon Vu.

At another time of year that would merit a cheery "condiments of the season " .

Mr A
07/06/2017, 3:02 PM

If you are going to post rumours like this you'll need a reference to a sauce.

theblock
13/06/2017, 10:51 PM
City won the Munster Senior Cup for the first time in ten years tonight defeating Munster Senior League Division One side Wilton United in Turners Cross.

Of more importance to the current league leaders will be the well being of star defender Ryan Delaney, who appeared to injure his knee on 36 minutes.

They made hard work of it against a side that finished eighth in Division One and were priced at 22/1 at the start of the game.

The final result will look harsh on a Wilton side who gave everything during the game, while extra time will be beneficial for City as they have plenty of cobwebs after their short break on the evidence of tonight’s display.

The opening ten minutes saw little of goalmouth action save for a Shane Griffin effort that was disallowed for offside.

Evan Murphy, who had a very good game at the heart of defence for Wilton along with Kieran O’Mahony, prevented a near-certain goal on 15 minutes when getting a foot to a Buckley shot.

O’Connor stepped up on 18 minutes and floated a free kick over the opposition wall into the net past the outstretched dive of Brian Cronin.

The next talking point of the half saw Delaney fall awkwardly under a tackle from Shane O’Connell. The centre half emerged in the second half with the aid of crutches.

City could have doubled their lead on 43 minutes when Murphy headed against his bar before Wilton they equalised a minute before the break. A corner by Robbie Walsh was played short to Neal Horgan who layed it off to the inrushing Daly to fire low underneath Alan Smith.

Early in the second half O’Connell had a goalmouth scramble cleared by City but they would work the ball up the field by way of a superb pass by John Kavanagh to Conor Ellis. His powerful shot was batted away by Cronin and it fell to Buckley, who drilled the ball into the top corner from 18 yards.

Yet Wilton played with a better organisation than many of the teams that have turned up at the Cross this year and they equalised through O’Regan. Philip Ryan's superb cross fell to the winger, who drove the ball low into the net.

The rest of the half saw City apply pressure but they were getting nowhere despite having 12 corners during the 90 minutes and the game went to extra time.

City broke the deadlock inside 25 seconds when Achille Campion flicked the ball over the advancing Cronin. Cronin then made a superb save stopping Preston-bound Sean Maguire from close range.

With the end of the first half of the extra ten approaching, substitute Alec Byrne put the result beyond doubt, finishing from close range after Maguire had seen his earlier shot saved by Cronin.

All that was left was for John Dunleavy to lift the trophy and claim City's first Munster Senior Cup title since 2008.

Cork City: Alan Smith; John Kavanagh (Sean Maguire 74), Adam O’Sullivan (Alec Byrne 91), Ryan Delaney (John Dunleavy 36), Shane Griffin; Greg Bolger, Garry Buckley; Kevin O’Connor (Stephen Dooley 74); Conor Ellis, Stephen Beattie, Achille Campion.

Booked: Conor McCormack, Mark McNulty.

Wilton United: Brian Cronin; John McCleverly (Jamie Kent 85), Evan Murphy, Alan Healy, Kieran O’Mahony, Philip Ryan; Colm O’Regan, Steve Daly (Kevin O’Mullane 68), Neal Horgan (Jason Meehan 77), Robbie Walsh (Dylan Foley 95); Shane O’Connell (Denis Young 74).

Subs not used: Dean Ring, Danny Gibson, Colin Lemass.

Booked: O’Regan (65).

Referee: Kevin O’Sullivan

Attendance: 800 (estimate).

Extratime.ie Player of the match: Alan Healy (Wilton United).

pineapple stu
14/06/2017, 11:16 AM
9 subs all told?

El-Pietro
14/06/2017, 12:12 PM
9 subs all told?

Allowed 5 subs in this competition I think. Extra time was only 10 minutes per half. Also, this is definitely not a mid season friendly. Two trophies down for the season.

osarusan
14/06/2017, 12:15 PM
A mix of Limerick fringe players and underage lads beat Janesboro 8-2 last night in a friendly masquerading as the Sporting Limerick cup.

We have a friendly against Charlton on July 11th.

brendy_éire
29/08/2017, 10:02 AM
Bohs-Derry played on Saturday there finished 2-2.

Derry will play Institute in Wilton Park in Derry on Tuesday 5th as a fundraiser for the flooded Riverside Stadium.
Clashes with the Serbia match, so likely to be a poor crowd.

nigel-harps1954
29/08/2017, 11:13 AM
Derry v Harps next Friday night in Maginn Park to raise money for Inishowen flood relief fund too.

brendy_éire
29/08/2017, 2:38 PM
Nice touch from the clubs.

That Institute match has been moved to the Wednesday now. Ye'd wonder how they manage now to think about these things beforehand mind.

nigel-harps1954
08/09/2017, 9:31 PM
Derry 1-1 Harps tonight in Maginn Park in aid of Inishowen Flooding victims.