PDA

View Full Version : FC United?

Karlos
21/02/2005, 3:36 PM
Not sure how seriously this article should be taken but as the rumours grow of a possible takeover by Malcom Glazer, it appears a Man Utd Fanzine and supporters group are contemplating going down the AFC Wimbledon route. Any Man Utd fans know any more about this, probably one of the only clubs who could do this and rise again quickly due to the support base. Interesting read none the less.

http://www.football365.com/news/premiership_news/story_144175.shtml

Bald Student
21/02/2005, 6:16 PM
Any Man Utd fans not from Manchester have chosen to support a club which is a plc and uses the stock markets to raise money. This has led to the club being very wealthy and successfull and the supporters, I'm sure, weren't complaining when the club spent large ammounts of money buying and paying expensive players. The down side to this is that the investors want to make a profit for themselves, which is what's happening here with the two horsey people and the american fella.

In short, you have to take the bad with the good.

pineapple stu
21/02/2005, 6:18 PM
Can't see too many Irish barstoolers following the team if they drop down to the Dr Marten's League!

Or maybe... :( :rolleyes:

holidaysong
22/02/2005, 1:47 PM
I am a Man utd fan and I would follow them...North West Counties League here we go! :D

Passive
22/02/2005, 2:13 PM
I have a soft spot for United and I have a lot of time for Manchester-based United fans. They are amongst the most loyal and dedicated in Britain. However, the supporters have enjoyed the success that has been achieved on the back of whoring their club all over the world as a corporate entity. Manchester United is more of a PLC than an FC and you can't blame a corporate monster like Glazer for wanting to take it over. How long did the United fans think the bubble was going to last for?

stojkovic
22/02/2005, 2:25 PM
Seriously lads this will never happen.
Where will they play their matches and what league would they be in. The North West Counties or something. And most importantly who will play for them and how will they pay them.

Longfordian
22/02/2005, 2:34 PM
They'd pay them with the 20,000 or more hard core fans that would refuse to support a Glazer owned MUFC and would back this new club

holidaysong
22/02/2005, 2:40 PM
They'd pay them with the 20,000 or more hard core fans that would refuse to support a Glazer owned MUFC and would back this new club

Exactly - How does any football club pay its players?! Plus with the history of Manchester United behind them they could attract better than your average joe players.

Macy
22/02/2005, 2:46 PM
I have a soft spot for United and I have a lot of time for Manchester-based United fans. They are amongst the most loyal and dedicated in Britain. However, the supporters have enjoyed the success that has been achieved on the back of whoring their club all over the world as a corporate entity. Manchester United is more of a PLC than an FC and you can't blame a corporate monster like Glazer for wanting to take it over. How long did the United fans think the bubble was going to last for?
The IMUSA share club was set up long before there were any takeover bids, and long before Shareholders United were formed. It was recognised then that the Supporters should try and get up to 10% shareholding back then.

You'll also find that many, infact most matchgoing fans have major problems with a lot of the plc activities. Infact there is a school of thought that it was much more enjoyable back in the days pre-the successful era, and if not if they could've stood still at 93-96ish where the ordinary fans had chances of getting away tickets etc.

There is nothing wrong with a plc per se, but the way Fartin Martin launched, the price and the timing deliberately scuppered a significant fans buy out. That still grates with many fans - having to come up with £300 notes when season ticket/LMTB renewals were due, not to mention the Cup Winners Cup Final just wasn't going to happen. You can still blame the ongoing on certainty back to those days imo, and you can still blame the one man (with a dishonourable mention to the "legend" on the board who stood by and let it happen).

As for the FC United thing it was mentioned before at the time Murdoch was trying to get his hands on the club - basically if a report quotes IMUSA (Independent Manchester United Supporters Association) and/or Shareholders United it's pretty reliable. Haven't followed the link, but Ole to manage I assume ;)