PDA

View Full Version : Alan Mathews

nigel-harps1954
27/05/2017, 9:15 PM
Big news out of Longford tonight.

LONGFORD TOWN FC ANNOUNCEMENT:Longford Town wish to announce that by mutual consent, the club and First team Manager Alan Mathews have parted ways. We thank Alan for his efforts and wish him all the best in his future endeavours.
Gary Cronin will take charge of the first team for next week's game vs Shelbourne .

outspoken
27/05/2017, 9:16 PM
Had just started a thread in our own forum so won't repost the whole thing again. Just sad to see Alan go even if this season has been a disaster. A gent to deal with.

Martinho II
27/05/2017, 10:35 PM
in hindsight I think the club did jump the gun when Tony Cousins left us and hired AM quickly. I am very sorry to see him go but maybe AM deserved to be told before the game tonight and told similar to Hulls manager and at least we could have said our thanks to him. Sometimes in football I hate the lack of sentiment and respect for our greatest ever manager.

outspoken
28/05/2017, 12:42 AM
in hindsight I think the club did jump the gun when Tony Cousins left us and hired AM quickly. I am very sorry to see him go but maybe AM deserved to be told before the game tonight and told similar to Hulls manager and at least we could have said our thanks to him. Sometimes in football I hate the lack of sentiment and respect for our greatest ever manager.

Going to defend the club on this one and say they didn't want to distrupt preparations for the game and had they let alan take the game and then tell him tomorrow instead for example they would've been accused of being cowards for not doing it in person.

outspoken
28/05/2017, 9:57 AM
Kevin Doherty also gone from club

Jofspring
28/05/2017, 11:52 AM
Martin Russell a possible candidate?

outspoken
28/05/2017, 4:32 PM
Martin Russell a possible candidate?

Club have tweeted out looking for any candidates to forward their CV's. I don't think he'd be the right man to be honest but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he ends up here

Nesta99
28/05/2017, 7:06 PM
Roddy leaves Athlone for the job he always wanted...i bet he wishes the timing was a bit better as all things considered id bet he'd rather have been in with a shout for the Longford job than Athlone.

Longfordian
28/05/2017, 8:05 PM
He wouldn't be in with a shout. As he wasn't every other time we had a vacancy. I'd rather give a younger up and coming manager a chance even give Gary Cronin a go until the end of the season. He has a Pro Licence as far as I'm aware and has been our assistant manager for a long time now.