PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland v Austria - Sunday 11th June 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Closed Account
23/05/2017, 1:36 PM
Austria calls up newcomers for qualifier vs Ireland

http://www.tsn.ca/austria-calls-up-newcomers-for-qualifier-vs-ireland-1.758818

Austria:
Goalkeepers: Daniel Bachmann (Stoke), Heinz Lindner (Frankfurt), Markus Kuster (Mattersburg)
Defenders: Kevin Danso (Augsburg), Aleksandar Dragovic (Leverkusen), Martin Hinteregger (Augsburg), Stefan Lainer (Salzburg), Valentino Lazaro (Salzburg), Sebastian Proedl (Watford), Stefan Stangl (Salzburg), Kevin Wimmer (Tottenham)
Midfielders: David Alaba (Bayern Munich), Julian Baumgartlinger (Leverkusen), Florian Grillitsch (Bremen), Martin Harnik (Hannover), Zlatko Junuzovic (Bremen), Florian Kainz (Bremen), Konrad Laimer (Salzburg), Marcel Sabitzer (Leipzig), Louis Schaub (Rapid Vienna)
Forwards: Guido Burgstaller (Schalke), Michael Gregoritsch (Hamburg), Marc Janko (FC Basel)

tetsujin1979
23/05/2017, 5:45 PM
the42.ie report that full back Andreas Ulmer misses out because he's getting married: http://www.the42.ie/austria-squad-ireland-marcel-koller-andreas-ulmer-wedding-3405037-May2017/
It's not that big of a deal, according to soccerway he hasn't earned an international cap since 2014!

TheOneWhoKnocks
27/05/2017, 3:41 PM
Randolph; Christie, Keogh, O'Shea, Ward; Arter, Whelan, Hendrick; McClean, Brady; Murphy
Randolph; Christie, Keogh, O'Shea, Ward; Whelan; Hendrick, Arter, Brady; Hoolahan; Murphy

Keogh pretty interchangeable with Duffy, Arter pretty interchangeable with O'Kane and Murphy pretty interchangeable with Walters.

Has Marc Wilson ever played RB? I'd consider him at RB instead of Christie, who I think is an accident waiting to happen.

Pity about Meyler's injury, and the others, though Austria have their own injuries, so you can't complain.

Charlie Darwin
29/05/2017, 1:58 PM
Wilson played right back when he came through at Portsmouth.

tetsujin1979
29/05/2017, 4:08 PM
thought he was a defensive midfielder in their academy?

Charlie Darwin
29/05/2017, 5:07 PM
He ended up playing there but was a centre-half who got his break at full back.

geysir
02/06/2017, 1:07 PM
A negative with the new qualifier fixture format is that there are no double headers in June, which imo is a perfect period for playing 2 qualifiers, the first on the June 6th or 7th and the second on 10th or 11th. As it stands now, players from winter leagues have to hang around for weeks just to play one qual game.

MeathDrog
02/06/2017, 1:29 PM
A negative with the new qualifier fixture format is that there are no double headers in June, which imo is a perfect period for playing 2 qualifiers, the first on the June 6th or 7th and the second on 10th or 11th. As it stands now, players from winter leagues have to hang around for weeks just to play one qual game.
It's a bad time for a game in general. For such an important game there is little or no hype for it. Poxy day of the week. Poxy kickoff time. Makes it very difficult for those coming from the country to go. Slap bang in the middle of exams. Height of GAA season. I doubt it will sell out.

jbyrne
02/06/2017, 1:34 PM
I doubt it will sell out.

I heard there was only 4,000 tickets left a week or so ago and there appears to only be premium on sale on ticketmaster. id say from sundays friendly onwards there will be much more hype.

Closed Account
02/06/2017, 1:57 PM
It's a bad time for a game in general. For such an important game there is little or no hype for it. Poxy day of the week. Poxy kickoff time. Makes it very difficult for those coming from the country to go. Slap bang in the middle of exams. Height of GAA season. I doubt it will sell out.Most of my mates stupidly travelling to Galway-Mayo in Pearse Stadium which throws in at 4. Idiots.

MeathDrog
02/06/2017, 2:29 PM
I heard there was only 4,000 tickets left a week or so ago and there appears to only be premium on sale on ticketmaster. id say from sundays friendly onwards there will be much more hype.
Yeah it may sell out by then but if it was on at a better date it would have been sold out by now.

DeLorean
02/06/2017, 3:49 PM
I can't wait for it. And being on a Sunday gave me an excuse to take the Monday off work. So it's basically two Bank Holidays in a row. Yahoo.

Diggs246
02/06/2017, 3:53 PM
I'm usually cautious even pessimistic, but I think we will beat Austria
I literally cant believe they have no friendly game arranged, they will be as rusty as f**k

TheOneWhoKnocks
02/06/2017, 3:59 PM
Potentially good news for Ireland.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/L-autriche-s-inquiete-pour-david-alaba-touche-a-un-genou/806794

Diggs246
02/06/2017, 4:01 PM
fingers crossed !

"Fourth in Group D qualifying for the next World Cup, Austria is playing a crucial match against Ireland in Dublin on 11 June. The selection of Marcel Koller is afraid of having to do without his master to play David Alaba. The 24-year-old was injured during the first practice of the selection, feeling a pinch to one knee. He was not able to participate in the next training, and his presence is now very much threatened"

MeathDrog
02/06/2017, 4:19 PM
I'm usually cautious even pessimistic, but I think we will beat Austria
I literally cant believe they have no friendly game arranged, they will be as rusty as f**k
Arnautovic suspended too.

geysir
02/06/2017, 10:14 PM
Alaba is a doubt, knee joint problem, but he's training on his own with the target to join in on full training next week.

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/06/2017, 9:26 PM
Alaba recovering well.

http://www.laola1.at/de/red/fussball/oefb-nationalteam/a-team/news/oefb--david-alaba-trainiert-mit--quartett-wird-geschont/

geysir
05/06/2017, 11:21 AM
Before the two friendlies, Randolph was the nr 1 and was given the starting place to get fully tuned in for the Austria game.
Then that atrocious Randolph mistake happened.
Did Mon have some doubt then about Randolph? Either he was completely satisfied that Randolph was still nr 1 or he had some doubt and gave Westwood a 45 minute audition.
If I was decided before the friendlies that Randolph was nr 1, i'd want him to play every minute.
Unfortunately Westwood spilled that ball under no real pressure, without that mistake he looked very assured.

DeLorean
05/06/2017, 11:31 AM
He gave a half each to Given and Westwood in the England friendly before (starting Given in) the Scotland game. I'd say it was the plan all along and doesn't mean much. Randolph's mistake will have given him food for thought though. Going by his comments recently I think it's a pretty close-run thing at the moment and Westwood will take over sooner or later.

geysir
05/06/2017, 1:10 PM
Westwood got a good stint in that friendly v England, more than the 45 minutes and yet a <100% Shay was used in the game v Scotland.
I suppose it's hard to tell what O'Neill is thinking regards the goalkeeping situation but his rationale was suspect in the past in relation to Westwood.
If Westwood does not play v Austria, I can't see Mon deciding that he will become nr 1 at any time.

Stuttgart88
05/06/2017, 1:41 PM
If Randolph plays badly against Austria and starts next season as reserve?

Stuttgart88
05/06/2017, 2:28 PM
I've rarely been less convinced of my own preferred starting XI and if pressed to guess O'Neill's I wouldn't be confident I'd get more than 7 right.

I would pick the following:

----------Westwood-------
---Christie O’Shea Duffy Ward
--------Whelan Arter
------Brady Hoolahan McClean
-------------Walters

I think O'Neill may well go for Westwood actually. O'Shea in for Kevin Long and I think he'll start with Hendrick over Wes, Brady playing more centrally.

I haven't a clue though!

DeLorean
05/06/2017, 2:31 PM
Westwood got a good stint in that friendly v England, more than the 45 minutes and yet a <100% Shay was used in the game v Scotland.

Sorry yeah, Westwood played the first hour. Given was our number one at the time though, I don't think Westwood was ever really in the reckoning to start against Scotland. The same could be true now in relation to Randolph, but his mistake has added some uncertainty I think.

suppose it's hard to tell what O'Neill is thinking regards the goalkeeping situation but his rationale was suspect in the past in relation to Westwood.

He was very flattering recently in relation to Westwood's ability, and slightly concerned about Randolph's club situation. He definitely has had issues regarding Westwood's commitment in the past but I think there has been a bit of a shift in his mindset. Randolph might retain his place, but I reckon he's only hanging on by a thread if he does.

IsMiseSean
05/06/2017, 3:27 PM
I think he'll start with Hendrick over Wes, Brady playing more centrally.

I haven't a clue though!

Kenny Cunningham had a good segment on Hendrick last night on the RTE highlights show. He showed clips of some good link up play with Walters and clips of him going forward from a deeper position in the second half, a lot of which I didn't take much notice of during the game.

I'd be inclined to start Hendrick over Hoolahan with Arter & Whelan playing deeper.

Wes for Whelan would be a nice change to be able to make in the second half if we need a goal.

CraftyToePoke
05/06/2017, 3:48 PM
I can't agree with any line up that doesn't start Hoolahan Sunday. The difference is immense with him on.

IsMiseSean
05/06/2017, 4:44 PM
I can't agree with any line up that doesn't start Hoolahan Sunday. The difference is immense with him on.

Before yesterdays game I would have said the same, but I thought Whelan, Arter & Hendrick worked well together.

geysir
05/06/2017, 4:49 PM
If Randolph plays badly against Austria and starts next season as reserve?
You mean a reserve keeper in the EPL? He was dropped to the bench for the last batch of games. He'll not be their nr 1 keeper next year, more probably he'll be their nr 3, ie. if he isn't transferred.
Randolph hasn't matured this year and he's making more errors.
If O'Neill doesn't pick Westwood for this game, if Randolph implodes/breaks leg and is dropped, O'Neill would probably look elsewhere than Westwood, eg Rob Elliot to be the nr 1 after the summer.

Do you think O'Shea's likely to start against Austria? O'Neill didn't use him at all in the 2 friendlies. I'd have my doubts.

DannyInvincible
05/06/2017, 5:32 PM
If O'Neill doesn't pick Westwood for this game, if Randolph implodes/breaks leg and is dropped, O'Neill would probably look elsewhere than Westwood, eg Rob Elliot to be the nr 1 after the summer.

Just on Rob Elliot, why isn't he in the squad? I don't think he's injured, is he? Is Colin Doyle ahead of him now in the pecking order?

zero
05/06/2017, 6:25 PM
Just on Rob Elliot, why isn't he in the squad? I don't think he's injured, is he? Is Colin Doyle ahead of him now in the pecking order?

he has some knee injury/ailment, related to the injury that him out for much of the season.

http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/05/worries-rafa-benitez-rob-elliot-fails-travel-america-due-injury-newcastle-united/

DannyInvincible
05/06/2017, 8:33 PM
Striker Marcel Sabitzer has been ruled out of Sunday's game (due to having slipped in his living room at home and crashed into glass, injuring a muscle in his upper arm), although Alaba looks set to be fit along with Marc Janko, Louis Schaub, Valentino Lazaro and Martin Harnik, who've also been carrying knocks: http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/austria-squad-update-striker-marcel-10566089

DannyInvincible
05/06/2017, 8:53 PM
Kenny Cunningham had a good segment on Hendrick last night on the RTE highlights show. He showed clips of some good link up play with Walters and clips of him going forward from a deeper position in the second half, a lot of which I didn't take much notice of during the game.

It was a good analysis alright. For anyone interested, the segment begins around the 46-minute point here: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/international-soccer-friendly-highlights-30004697/10734780/

CraftyToePoke
05/06/2017, 9:01 PM
Before yesterdays game I would have said the same, but I thought Whelan, Arter & Hendrick worked well together.

Just because the woman down the street smiles at you, it doesn't mean you finish with your missus.

Come Sunday, we would be most likely bringing Hoolahan on to fire fight the scenario which has arisen directly due to him not having started IMO.

And that's not cool.

backstothewall
05/06/2017, 10:35 PM

I'd maybe go back to the diamond and play all four of them. Brady and Christie as the fullbacks with Walters and McClean up front.

The only thing is Alaba worries me in that system.

Colbert Report
05/06/2017, 11:18 PM
I'd leave Hoolahan on the bench, I love him and the way he plays but he won't last ninety minutes no matter what.

----------Westwood
Christie O'Shea Duffy Brady
McGeady Arter Hendrick McClean
--------Walters Murphy

Could see Ward in the line-up with Brady moving into midfield and McGeady making room for him. Walters on the right and Murphy up front by himself.

Big hopes for Arter. O'Shea simply must play, especially if Ward is in the lineup.

mark12345
06/06/2017, 12:08 AM

Agree 110% Crafty. Wes completely changes the make up of the Irish team.
It's like we try to batter down and impenetrable door when he's not there. When he comes on, it's like he's the man with the key to open the door.
Opting to bring on Wes from the bench will be a risk which might back fire next Sunday. I would rather see us get a goal or two and then bring O'Kane on for Wes with 30 minutes to shore up the defence.

mark12345
06/06/2017, 12:19 AM
I'd leave Hoolahan on the bench, I love him and the way he plays but he won't last ninety minutes no matter what.

----------Westwood
--------Walters Murphy

Could see Ward in the line-up with Brady moving into midfield and McGeady making room for him. Walters on the right and Murphy up front by himself.

Big hopes for Arter. O'Shea simply must play, especially if Ward is in the lineup.

O'Shea playing next Sunday? If that is the case he should have at least got a half game against either Mexico or Uruguay just to keep him sharp. I'm not that tuned into his physical state, but people on here are saying his legs/pace is gone.
Agree with Arter hundred per cent. He was a revelation yesterday and he can hold onto the ball and distribute it nicely.
His placement in front of the defence / behind the midfield means we have a player who can keep possession (something we have needed for a long long time).
That should release Brady to play further forward (playing Brady at left back would be a complete waste) as the lad can hold the ball brilliantly in any area of the pitch.
And the most advantageous for us against Austira would be in close proximity to Walters and whomever his partner is (I would put McClean there simply because of his energy and pace and he is also on form at the moment).
Murphy continues to struggle at international level.
Ward did have a poor game yesterday by his renewed standards. But I think he will be up for it next Sunday.
What I would like to see is our big lads (Ward, Duffy, Keogh and Walters) be placed strategically in the Austrian penalty area for set pieces. They are some weapons to have and we need to use them.

mark12345
06/06/2017, 12:22 AM

----------Westwood
--------Walters Murphy

But to your original point about leaving Hoolahan on the bench, I think that would be a mistake.
We need all the creativity he gives us. If Arter can get him the ball and Hendrick or Whelan can be his foils, Wes can concentrate on running at the Austrian defence (with Brady, McClean and Walters as passing options for him).
We can have a real go at them if Wes is playing.

Olé Olé
06/06/2017, 8:01 AM
I'd be inclined to go with the following:
Westwood/Randolph (really can't decide on this)
Christie O'Shea Duffy Ward
Arter Whelan
Brady Hendrick McClean
Walters

It just worries me not having someone beside Arter at the base. I feel dirty not vouching for Wes but I'd be worried about how narrow we would become playing all 4 of Arter, Whelan, Hendrick and Wes. Brady and Christie would end up with oceans of space ahead of them and would get notions of pushing up. That's not ideal from two lads who wouldn't consider defensive positioning as they're greatest attributes (which is another reason I'd have to play Ward if Christie is on the other side).

As always, there will be a talking point in there Sunday. If not a couple of them. I'm happy with the options we have so any 3 of Arter, Whelan, Hendrick and Wes would do me fine. McClean and Walters pick themselves from both Sunday and general selection trends. After that, it's anybody's guess but I think O'Neill has gone with Hendrick and Whelan in his team more often than not. Arter's hand is now in the air waving furiously for selection and it is hard to ignore.

DeLorean
06/06/2017, 8:50 AM
Westwood

Christie - Keogh - Duffy - Ward

Hendrick - Arter

McClean - Hoolahan - Brady

Walters

That's probably what I'd go with. I'd prefer O'Shea to Keogh but it's a bit concerning that he didn't get any game time in the friendlies. Maybe Long has an outside chance?

I'm not in love with the idea of Brady or McClean starting on the right but both have made themselves pretty much indespensible at the moment.

This game is made for Hoolahan, it'd be a crime not to start him.

Hendrick and Arter would give more energy to our midfield than Whelan. We've performed better without him a fair few times at this stage.

Fixer82
06/06/2017, 10:01 AM
Westwood
Christie Duffy Keogh Ward
Arter Whelan
Brady Hendrick McClean
Walters

The team I think O'Neill will go for. I hope he goes for Westwood in goal.
I wouldn't mind Hoolahan taking Whelan's or Hendrick's place but don't think ONeill will start him.

Olé Olé
06/06/2017, 10:27 AM
Westwood

Christie - Keogh - Duffy - Ward

Hendrick - Arter

McClean - Hoolahan - Brady

Walters

That's probably what I'd go with. I'd prefer O'Shea to Keogh but it's a bit concerning that he didn't get any game time in the friendlies. Maybe Long has an outside chance?

I'm not in love with the idea of Brady or McClean starting on the right but both have made themselves pretty much indespensible at the moment.

This game is made for Hoolahan, it'd be a crime not to start him.

Hendrick and Arter would give more energy to our midfield than Whelan. We've performed better without him a fair few times at this stage.
I'm inclined to agree with all of the above, Del. That team would be brilliant.

Had Hendrick played much at the base though?

I think that midfield would be brilliant. There's so much energy in there it would be like the Euros all over again.

DeLorean
06/06/2017, 10:46 AM
I think himself and Arter can share defensive and offensive responsibilities in that system, both of their primary jobs would be to receive the ball and feed the three ahead of them as often as possible, along with crowding out the space in front of our defence (and Alaba in particular).

Hendrick has played similar roles for us in the past I think. The friendly at Craven Cottage springs to mind where himself and Meyler complimented each other perfectly, taking turns of sitting and attacking. Even in the Euros he played in a two man midfield for the Italy and France games, a prospect I wouldn't have been mad about but he did well. Hoolahan's presence practically gives our midfield an extra body, compared to playing two up up front, which I think suits Hendrick better as well.

Hendrick was outstanding as the designated holding midfielder in Derby's playoff against Hull last season, the only time I've seen him play that role on his own.

On the flip side, Gibson and Hendrick didn't really work as a two man midfield in Glasgow against Scotland. I think the side was set up poorly that night anyway though and the tactics were one dimensional.

Strangely enough, considering some of the recent question marks towards him on here, Kenny Cunningham has been signing his praises, saying he's reached a level where we are almost building a team around him!

(O'Neill's) got some really good options in that central area. It's just which balance he wants to strike.

From my point of view I'd like to see Wes Hoolahan in the team, playing his preferred number 10 position. He gives us a real creative edge.

If we play Wes in that position, then you have to look at your natural midfield pairing behind him - what's the best partnership in that area of the pitch?

For me, one of those players has to be Glenn Whelan with his defensive mindset. And beside him it's Jeff Hendrick. I think we almost have to build the team around Jeff now, I'm a huge fan.

Harry Arter has really impressed, I understand that, but the partnership of Whelan and Hendrick gives better balance.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0605/880387-randolph-deserves-to-stay-in-irish-goal/

DeLorean
06/06/2017, 11:10 AM
I just see this comment from O'Neill as well in the same article from The Examiner about the two goalkeepers. Could this have been aimed at Hendrick, as one of the few ever-presents at the Euros?

You start to think: ‘Can I slot someone in there, can they do a job?’. It’s all on to the Austria game and I’m hoping there are players in there who think: ‘Do you know what, I was pretty regular during the European Championships but maybe my position is in jeopardy now’. Jeopardy might be too strong a word, but: ‘I might not start this game'.

geysir
06/06/2017, 11:20 AM
Our team looks a shoe in for a 4231 formation.
Kenny C when co-commentating on sunday, seemed to think (with bullet train rapidity) that if Arter was selected v Austria, it would be most certainly at the expense of Hoolahan.

O'Neill reverts to indecisive mood re goalkeeper 'dilemma'. Newspaper reports imply that Westwood has improved, therefore he's pushing Randolph. I think Westwood has just been consistent whereby Randolph has become more error prone. However, O'Neill goes on to say "Obviously I knew Westy at club level. He's a really talented goalkeeper. Just get his head right and he's great."
I don't know what to make of that, seeing as he's been consistently very good for the past 3 seasons. Go to Sheffield and get your head rightened?

Lionel Ritchie
06/06/2017, 11:23 AM
He won't drop Randolph over dodgy judgment in a friendly. If he screws up Sunday his position will be up for grabs in the autumn but not before then.

geysir
06/06/2017, 11:32 AM
Randolph has been dodgy all year, now he's been dodgy for us. I see a pattern.

DannyInvincible
06/06/2017, 2:20 PM
McGoldrick is a doubt for Sunday: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0606/880614-david-mcgoldrick-revealed-as-a-doubt-for-austria-game/

Martin O’Neill has confirmed that David McGoldrick is an injury concern ahead of Ireland’s World Cup qualifier against Austria at the Aviva Stadium on Sunday. The Ipswich Town forward sat out training this morning at the FAI headquarters in Abbotstown and the manager confirmed that McGoldrick had picked up a knee injury. McGoldrick has had a scan on his knee and the manager will await the results ahead of making a final decision on the player’s availability.

"David McGoldrick has had a niggle behind his knee which has come on a little bit," said O'Neill, speaking at the post-training press conference. "He has had a scan and we are just waiting for the results of that. But it is niggly and he is a bit concerned about it."

Everyone else in the squad is fit, according to the manager.

Fixer82
06/06/2017, 2:36 PM

Randolph was dodgy for us in our opening game of the campaign too

Lionel Ritchie
06/06/2017, 4:59 PM

I don't even disagree with you. But I suspect MON would say he's been very reliable and I more strongly suspect MON won't make a change he's not forced to.