PDA

View Full Version : Midweek fixtures

Pages : [1] 2

pineapple stu
22/05/2017, 7:42 PM
Currently nine goals separating the bottom four. :eek:

Cork really starting to choke too; 1-0 down to Sligo. If cork win and other results stay the same, it'd mean nine goals separating the bottom five!

micls
22/05/2017, 8:41 PM
2-1 City. Lads really didn't like going behind! Battered them in the second half. Sligo are the only team to take the lead against us and they've now done it twice this season.

El-Pietro
22/05/2017, 9:02 PM
Really starting to think we might actually do this. Two big games in the next 10 days or so. If we can take 4 points from them you'd have to think it would be pretty much over.

sbgawa
22/05/2017, 9:47 PM
Surprisingly easy in tallaght tonight could have been more. Rovers starting to look like a team with a bit of belief. With the league over aleady it all seems a bit bizarre.

oriel
22/05/2017, 10:06 PM
Really starting to think we might actually do this. Two big games in the next 10 days or so. If we can take 4 points from them you'd have to think it would be pretty much over.

Impressive to be fair, 1-0 down at ht away and getting a 2-1 win, significant lead increased, red hot favs no doubt about that, but you want to be in double figures in September to be really confident. A lot can happen during the summer with Europe, and Rovers and Dundalk next two won't be easy, but Cork can 'afford' slips up there.

Dundalk could beat Cork in two weeks and still be miles behind, so Cork are in a very strong position, I'd be very surprised if they didn't win it this year, but summer will be the significant period.

TonyD
22/05/2017, 10:15 PM
Shockingly bad result for Pats tonight in Ballybofey. No excuses for that one. How can we go away to Derry and Bray and get a draw and yet ship 3 to the bottom side ? (And they beat us in Inchicore too !) worrying times.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
22/05/2017, 10:15 PM
The league title is over.

Dissappinting way to concede a winner but Cork much better team second half. We are really down to the bare bones at the moment. Roll on July.

sbgawa
22/05/2017, 10:39 PM
Watching MNS what a joke I heard the ref was a joke but I didn't believe it. The standards of refs is terrible. Effects every club randomly.

sbgawa
22/05/2017, 11:02 PM
Watching MNS what a joke I heard the ref was a joke but I didn't believe it. The standards of refs is terrible. Effects every club randomly.

nigel-harps1954
23/05/2017, 12:00 AM

You'd want to have seen the excuse for a referee that was in action in Finn Park tonight. I've said this many times, but this time, I've truly never seen worse. John McLaughlin, remember the name.

On the match, Pat's were total dog sh!te. I've never seen a worse Pat's team.

Keep in mind, this is a Harps team that is patching up unfit players to get through games. Danny Morrissey is around two stone overweight, Jonny Bonner is as far away from fitness as a sumo wrestler, Packie Mailey played with his head wrapped up to protect his head wound, and the bench was full of under-19s and an injured Barry Molloy such is the constant injury crisis we're finding ourselves in, and yet, there was only one team in the game tonight.

Two absolutely horrendous mistakes at the back gifted Harps first two goals.

oriel
23/05/2017, 7:56 AM
Things will obviously change tonight, but amazing to look at the bottom, with 5 currently locked on 14 points.

Anyone's guess who the 3 will be at this stage, but it sounds very worrying from a Pats perspective, I thought the same as Nigel when they visited Dundalk earlier in the season, they looked like a FD side, and I honestly can't recall them being that bad previously.

brendy_éire
23/05/2017, 8:58 AM
Shockingly bad result for Pats tonight in Ballybofey. No excuses for that one. How can we go away to Derry and Bray and get a draw and yet ship 3 to the bottom side ? (And they beat us in Inchicore too !) worrying times.

Even more surprising considering that Harps had lost their last six games, having only scored once in them.

Watching MNS what a joke I heard the ref was a joke but I didn't believe it.

I assume you're referring to Maginn Park. No idea what it was given for. Watched it back a few times, but don't think it went out of play at all, as Bradley said he was told.

brendy_éire
23/05/2017, 9:46 AM
I assume you're referring to Maginn Park. No idea what it was given for. Watched it back a few times, but don't think it went out of play at all, as Bradley said he was told.

Chatting to fella in work there, said the ball definitely went behind the line. Mystery solved.

joey B
23/05/2017, 11:20 AM

We were missing about 5 first choice players as well,first half you were horrendous .

disgruntled
23/05/2017, 11:41 AM
2-1 City. Lads really didn't like going behind! Battered them in the second half. Sligo are the only team to take the lead against us and they've now done it twice this season.

And we missed a penalty as well.
Maguire lost his footing as he struck the ball.
Serious words said at half time as we were poor first half.
2nd half we battered them. Could have scored another couple.

redobit
23/05/2017, 12:50 PM
And we missed a penalty as well.
Maguire lost his footing as he struck the ball.
Serious words said at half time as we were poor first half.
2nd half we battered them. Could have scored another couple.

For all Cork's dominance our keeper hardly had a save to make in the second half and their goals came from our mistakes. They were there for the taking (a draw at least) last night but we don't have the players or bench to capitalise.
Cork got the job done cause they are effective, not a whole lot of footballing finesse. I was surprised by how much Cork seem to panic. With 35-40 minutes to go they were lumping balls forward. And when that didn't work they brought on Campion to knock the long balls up to.
Granted it's only the first time I've seen them but from what I seen a half-decent team in Europe that can keep and pass the ball wouldn't be worried too much about them.

mcgonigle
23/05/2017, 1:20 PM
Impressive to be fair, 1-0 down at ht away and getting a 2-1 win, significant lead increased, red hot favs no doubt about that, but you want to be in double figures in September to be really confident. A lot can happen during the summer with Europe, and Rovers and Dundalk next two won't be easy, but Cork can 'afford' slips up there.

Dundalk could beat Cork in two weeks and still be miles behind, so Cork are in a very strong position, I'd be very surprised if they didn't win it this year, but summer will be the significant period.

If Cork don't win the league it'll be the biggest bottle job I can think of. It will take a collapse from them coupled with an unprecedented run from us, Bray or Derry. To be fair to Cork they are showing no signs of complacency.

It's a crazy league at the bottom, just when one team look buried they pull out some results only to be dragged back in again. Pats and Harps are the latest example

El-Pietro
23/05/2017, 2:15 PM
The word last night was that for each of our goals our bench all jumped up in unison, its clear that there is a massive desire to win each game and we have not been taking games for granted.

If we were to pick up 2 points per game for our remaining games we'd finish on 79 points, which is more than Dundalk have achieved in any of the last three seasons.
Thats the equivalent of 6 losses, 9 draws or some combination of both. Dundalk would need 2.7 points per game to reach the same number. They could only afford to drop 5 more points by the end of the season to catch us if we hit that number.

2 points per game would be pretty horrible form for any league contender so realistically Dundalk can't afford to drop any more points. They are realistically hoping for a complete collapse from us at this point.

jinxy lilywhite
23/05/2017, 2:26 PM
Not really though. There are 18 games to go. Ok Dundalk and the others need to do their jobs against cork and everyone else but a draw here and there for Cork would see the chasers gain 2 points if they can win.
Before the break we need to win our 3 games (derry pats and cork). Worst case scenario we will be 10 behind with what 15 to play. After that we the chasers need a run like cork have had at the start of the season.
It's going to be a tough ask for the chasers but there are still too many points up for grabs and varying results for us to throw in the towel but we would need a flawless run and must beat cork next week and in tc

El-Pietro
23/05/2017, 2:38 PM
Not really though. There are 18 games to go. Ok Dundalk and the others need to do their jobs against cork and everyone else but a draw here and there for Cork would see the chasers gain 2 points if they can win.
Before the break we need to win our 3 games (derry pats and cork). Worst case scenario we will be 10 behind with what 15 to play. After that we the chasers need a run like cork have had at the start of the season.
It's going to be a tough ask for the chasers but there are still too many points up for grabs and varying results for us to throw in the towel but we would need a flawless run and must beat cork next week and in tc
I'm factoring those points dropped here and there in - thats where my 2 points per game comes from - that would puut us at 79 at the end of the season (we can theoretically reach 97).

Dundalk can best case scenario reach 84 points if they win every game from here to the end of the season. Thats unrealistic. It would be a 19 game winning streak. If we do drop to 2 point per game form for the rest of the season then Dundalk can only drop 5 points between now and November. 2 points per game is usually what the team in 3rd or 4th end up with. So if we play like Shamrock Rovers or Derry did last year for the rest of the season then Dundalk can drop 5 points. If we play any better than that then Dundalk can't afford to drop anything.

Heres a little more context, Dundalk have been awful this year - no one will argue that. Dundalk have 1.92 points per game. If we were as bad as Dundalk have been so far, and for longer than Dundalk have been bad, then we'd finish on 77 or 78 points. That would allow Dundalk to drop 6 or 7 points between now and the end of the season. If Dundalk win tonight then their average is up to 2 points per game by the way.

79 even seems low for us, but it should be enough. Bohs set the record in 2008 as far as I'm aware with 85, we're more than half way there and we only need 2.3 PPG to match them. Though we would only be able to drop 12 more for the remainder of the season to get there.

jinxy lilywhite
23/05/2017, 2:50 PM
The bride might be on her way down the aisle but there is still time for her to be whisked away ;)

Nesta99
23/05/2017, 3:10 PM
The league is done and we know it in our heads but it doesnt stop us hoping that a wobble could happen and some rot sets in to Cork's confidence. Dundalk are likely to drop more points such has been our up and down form. Another season a 19 game streak wouldnt have been impossible if unlikely. Win the next 2 games and 10 is the gap. 10 points we have seen chased down successfully in various leagues. Athlones collapse under Buckley in the 1st division 2001 I think was as spectacular as that. It is plausible that Cork have a run in Europe while Dundalk go out straight off. A draw or loss in around that time with Cork juggling fixtures with one game v Cork could leave a 4 or 5 point gap with say 5 games to play. The nerviness sets in to the squad...losing Maguire's goals could slow thinks up a bit but with the form the likes of Shepard is in this will be minimal. Last season losing Maguire would have finished Cork's season.

I never saw myself saying this but the importance of clubs like Shamrock Rovers, Derry, Sligo, Limerick et al to actually be competative is essential to the league. It is great for Cork but rubbish for the league in general for such a gap to be there already when you think of the 2014 conclusion to the season and the genuine interest that generated.

A 5 year record of 2nd, 1st, 1st,1st, 2nd (if thats where we finish) is the stuff that goes beyond dreams when you consider where we were 6 years ago; 9 years ago we were just after 7 years in the 1st Division and not even competing with bottom 2 and 3 finishes - throw in the 2 promotions that were denied off the field. So there might be a bit of the nothing is impossible feeling in Dundalk when all things are considered.

Charlie Darwin
23/05/2017, 3:13 PM
The bride might be on her way down the aisle but there is still time for her to be whisked away ;)
That's your sister!

Ezeikial
23/05/2017, 3:51 PM
Really starting to think we might actually do this.

Seriously?

Let us know when you have reached the point that you actually think Cork will win the league.

El-Pietro
23/05/2017, 4:13 PM
Seriously?

Let us know when you have reached the point that you actually think Cork will win the league.
As I've said before here - I've been conditioned to expect Cork City will fall short and let me down. My first season following City was 98/99 when we lost to Pats three times and missed out on the title by 3 points.
Including that season we have finished 2nd or 3rd 9 times, lost two cup finals, a setanta cup final and a league cup final. At the same time we have managed a league title, two cups a setanta cup and a first division so not all misery. Oh and the Presidents Cups I suppose.

The last few years in particular have made it difficult to believe we can win it all, the Cup final went a long way to fixing that but a league is different.

Its especially difficult to survive in the space between extreme hubris and lack of confidence but I do it.

This season is the equivalent of a 3-0 lead approaching half time but with our best player carrying a knock that might make him sit out the second half. Even without him we should be able to hold on but if our opponents can get one back before half time then self doubt might set in and we could have a shaky last 15 minutes with our goal under pressure.

Mr A
23/05/2017, 5:04 PM
Cork are only one asterisk away from the drop zone. This is the #GreatestLeagueInTheWorld after all.

AlanOB
23/05/2017, 6:32 PM
Live audio analysis of the Bohs/Limerick game available at www.mixlr.com/limerick-soccer-live -- featuring former Limerick FC defender Conor Molan.

colonelwest
23/05/2017, 7:07 PM
Dundalk/ Derry in 1950s potato quality, just make sure to have adblock installed, and x out of the usual ****e

http://www.tarjetarojaonline.org/soccer/dundalk-vs-derry-city-rd15gg07

thomas72
23/05/2017, 8:42 PM
Bohs 1 Limerick 2
Great win that

El-Pietro
23/05/2017, 8:44 PM
Results keep going our way. Honestly this is bizarre. Its one thing for your team to win games, but when everyone else keeps dropping points...

nigel-harps1954
23/05/2017, 9:06 PM
Everyone seems to be taking points off everyone bar Cork. It's almost as if everyone else wants Cork to win the league.

..except Galway of course.

sbgawa
23/05/2017, 9:19 PM
Race for the 3 europa league spots (assuming 1 of top 4 wins the cup ) looks like being 3 from rovers dundalk bray and derry. Relegation any 3 from 6......Lots to play for eventilation if cork have run off with the ball :)

El-Pietro
23/05/2017, 9:26 PM
40 points to win the title. Thats any combination of us picking up points and our nearest rivals dropping points.

osarusan
23/05/2017, 9:31 PM
Bohs were atrocious for all except the 15 minutes before halftime and we were well worth the win.

Ezeikial
23/05/2017, 9:59 PM
Race for the 3 europa league spots (assuming 1 of top 4 wins the cup ) looks like being 3 from rovers dundalk bray and derry. Relegation any 3 from 6......Lots to play for eventilation if cork have run off with the ball :)

Poor ould Limerick with nothing to play for except mid-table mediocrity?

Probably the 2 point gap to Rovers is just a bridge too far....

Crosshead
23/05/2017, 10:05 PM
Four points from the next two games would be fantastic for us.

sbgawa
23/05/2017, 10:27 PM
Well you just lost to us by a flattering 2 to 1 and best them 3 nil in limerick but no doubt you think they are a better team then rovers :)))))

oriel
23/05/2017, 10:27 PM
Dundalk were fairly average tonight, never really posed a big enough threat to win the match, Derry were full value for the draw. This was Dundalk's first draw of the campaign and only the second home league game we didn't win.

Disappointing result but you have to take any positive, 3rd clean sheet in a row and favourites in the race for second!

McNamee and Low were very good for Derry in the middle of MF, we were poor there in the second half, never really got control of the match.

Good point made by Nesta99 above, if we finish 2nd, the 5 year record won't look too bad at all, with a return of 2-1-1-1-2.

patrickccfc
23/05/2017, 10:33 PM
Drogheda get a scoreless draw, go from bottom to 8th lol

sbgawa
23/05/2017, 10:39 PM
Next season is going to be gas Craic .
Top 5 ish shooting for europe bottom 5 trying to avoid the two relegation spots. 6 of 10 teams will either qualify for europe or be relegated..Maybe john Delaney could get us another europa spot and the top half will all qualify #greatestleagueintheworld

Charlie Darwin
23/05/2017, 10:46 PM
Dundalk were fairly average tonight, never really posed a big enough threat to win the match, Derry were full value for the draw. This was Dundalk's first draw of the campaign and only the second home league game we didn't win.

Disappointing result but you have to take any positive, 3rd clean sheet in a row and favourites in the race for second!

McNamee and Low were very good for Derry in the middle of MF, we were poor there in the second half, never really got control of the match.

Good point made by Nesta99 above, if we finish 2nd, the 5 year record won't look too bad at all, with a return of 2-1-1-1-2.
Yeah but continue that trend and you'll finish 11th next year. Which would be quite an achievement in a 10-team league.

pineapple stu
24/05/2017, 4:44 AM
Poor ould Limerick with nothing to play for except mid-table mediocrity?

Probably the 2 point gap to Rovers is just a bridge too far....
Don't forget the chance to play in Scotland

sbgawa
24/05/2017, 5:45 AM
Don't forget the chance to play in Scotland

Jeez your right. So next year top 4 for europe 5th and 6th for (sort of europe) and bottom 4 fighting the drop. No end of season nothing matches there. Plus in 1st devision top 5 or 6 trying to make promotion or play offs (assuming 2 up with a play off)

Dalymountrower
24/05/2017, 7:22 AM
Bohs were atrocious for all except the 15 minutes before halftime and we were well worth the win.
Yeah, we were very poor for first half an hour then dominated for 15.
Even enough second half until Limerick went for the win 15 mins from time.Great last 15 from Ogdbene, also a good turn as panto villain.
1360 at the game, not bad for a Tuesday night.Two massive games v Galway and Drogs coming up.

Ezeikial
24/05/2017, 9:23 AM
Well you just lost to us by a flattering 2 to 1 and best them 3 nil in limerick but no doubt you think they are a better team then rovers :)))))

I don't particularly rate either team, but I think it foolish to dismiss their chances of a top 4 finish

sbgawa
24/05/2017, 9:47 AM
Fair enough you don't rate either team and while not particularly rating Dundalk this year I think it would be foolish of me to dismiss their chances either,,,,,,,, but then I never do.

El-Pietro
24/05/2017, 9:55 AM
The best winning streak either Limerick or Rovers have managed so far is 2 games. Rovers best unbeaten streak is just 3 games. Limerick managed a 5 game streak with 2 wins and three draws. If either of them can put a streak of a handful of games together they could pull away from the other.

osarusan
24/05/2017, 10:03 AM
Yeah, we were very poor for first half an hour then dominated for 15.
Even enough second half until Limerick went for the win 15 mins from time.Great last 15 from Ogdbene, also a good turn as panto villain.
1360 at the game, not bad for a Tuesday night.Two massive games v Galway and Drogs coming up.

I thought we were the better team in the 2nd half also, though not as dominant as the first 30 minutes. I think you only had one real chance in the 2nd half - the blocked shot which injured our centre back. We looked fitter also - after we went 2-1 up, you didn't have much left in the tank.

Ogbene caused you a lot of trouble alright, nobody could keep pace with him, and he was flattened a good few times. I didn't think the red card was a straight red really, but you had a few more that could have been booked for fouls on him. The ref was very hesitant to show any cards for most of the game.

Ezeikial
24/05/2017, 10:13 AM
Fair enough you don't rate either team and while not particularly rating Dundalk this year I think it would be foolish of me to dismiss their chances either,,,,,,,, but then I never do.

I have no idea why you are trying to say here. Whether or not you rate Dundalk and / or "dismiss their chances" has absolutely nothing to do with you apparently ruling Limerick out of challenging for a top 4 place

NeverFeltBetter
24/05/2017, 10:17 AM
Bohs did get one shot away in the second half, on a breakaway while Ogbene was down at the other end, Hall saved for a corner. Aside from that and the aforementioned blocked shot, I don't think they had another effort on target in the second half. Definitely a bit of a fitness issue: they had that free-kick in a very good position in the last moment and it barely got above groin level, and then they couldn't secure the rebound.

Ogbene was being fouled all over the place, and he was proper taken out for the red. Maybe not a straight red offence, but considering the referee seemed to have trouble finding his cards all night I wasn't too sympathetic. That being said, we were lucky not to have a defender sent off less than a minute later for what could possibly have been viewed as a "last man back" style cynical foul.

I think some of the home resentment towards Ogbene came from an incident down by the corner flag where he got a little shove and collapsed. The ref appeared to tell him off for play-acting, but no card was produced either.