PDA

View Full Version : Baseball is upon us

Pages : [1] 2

Soko
20/02/2005, 11:51 PM
Any other baseball fans out there? I decided I'd make my own little thread and talk about how the Mets are going to rise again to win the NL East and go to the World Series.

With Pedro Martinez and Carlos Beltran on board plus a healthy Kaz Matsui and Jose Reyes they should compete. Plus David Wright, Mike Piazza, Cliff Flyodd and Mike Cameron thats a good batting lineup. with Glavine, Benson and Pedro the rotation is good enough to win and Looper save. No one knows whats going on but wtf cares anyway?

Green Tribe
21/02/2005, 12:07 AM
Men in tight outfits playing rounders doesn't do it for me i'm afraid..... :D :eek:

Thomo
21/02/2005, 2:59 PM
With Pedro Martinez and Carlos Beltran on board plus a healthy Kaz Matsui and Jose Reyes

jeez, london, soon madrid, and america, that boy gets around!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Karlos
21/02/2005, 3:12 PM
was fond of watching baseball when I was living in Massachusetts. A day out in Fenway Park was always great fun (along with the beer, the women and the fenway franks!). Amazing year for the Sox last time out and Mass. in general is having a great time with the Pats winning the bowl too (if only the Celtics could get their act together!). Disappointed to see Pedro leave to the Mets. One of my favourite players along with Nomar Garciaparra who has also sadly moved on. Not up to date on how the trading and all has gone but hope to get back up to speed when the season kicks off.

Are any Irish or UK TV stations covering MLB for the coming season? :)

Aberdonian Stu
22/02/2005, 11:16 AM
Channel 5 in the UK were covering it a few years ago but don't know if they still are.

They used to have a live game ever week on CNBC back when it was called NBC Super Channel, as well as full delayed coverage of the series. The weekend coverage of US college sport used to be good on that as well with almost all of Notre Dame's games live (they'd show the Bayou classic instead in the last week of the season) and a bowl game as well. They were good for March madness too. I think NASN cover all that now. They were also the only channel over here to show Harrington and McGinley's World Cup golf triumph live.

Since the switch to a business only channel the weekend sports coverage has become a joke with retro Wimbledon films and highlights of multiple golf tournaments (that ended the previous week or possibly even earlier). Having said that I am the only person I know who both watches and likes CNBC's business coverage.

Bluebeard
22/02/2005, 3:12 PM
www.mlb.com (http://www.mlb.com)

The new season kicks off on April 3rd with The Damned Yankees at home to the Red Sox.

I would tend to follow the Seattle Mariners myself, but I kind of get lost in the off season. They're playing a Charity match in San Diego, according to the above mentioned site.

gspain
22/02/2005, 3:53 PM
Are any Irish or UK TV stations covering MLB for the coming season? :)

you can subscribe to NASN on Sky Digital (don't know re NTL) but I think it is quite expensive. They have the regular season and playoffs although Channel 5 has the World Series but you need Sky Digital for that too.

Real ale Madrid
22/02/2005, 5:52 PM
you can subscribe to NASN on Sky Digital (don't know re NTL) but I think it is quite expensive. They have the regular season and playoffs although Channel 5 has the World Series but you need Sky Digital for that too.

NASN is €20 per month.A bit expensive but you get a lot for your money and there is endless coverage of all the American sports if your into that. Channel 5 is not on sky digital - can you get it does any one know?

Metrostars
22/02/2005, 7:08 PM
www.mlb.com (http://www.mlb.com)

The new season kicks off on April 3rd with The Damned Yankees at home to the Red Sox.

I would tend to follow the Seattle Mariners myself, but I kind of get lost in the off season. They're playing a Charity match in San Diego, according to the above mentioned site.

F the Red Sox. They will be awarding the World Series championship rings to the Red Sox players on opening day. In front of the Yankees just to rub it in. However rumer has it that the Yankees in turn will have "26" printed on the sleaves of their shirts to get back at them, 26 being the number of times they've won the World Series. Lots of jibes going on already especially with A-Rod.
As for the Mets, lots of new faces. However it will be the same result.

Metrostars
22/02/2005, 7:10 PM
Men in tight outfits playing rounders doesn't do it for me i'm afraid..... :D :eek:

You sound like my mother. She could never understand why people would go watch "men in shorts chasing after a ball".

Green Tribe
22/02/2005, 7:55 PM
men in tight outfits playing rounders or men in white jumpers doing something similar(cricket) cannot be compared to men in shorts playing an exciting game now can it? :D how could your mum not enjoy it? :D

gspain
23/02/2005, 11:09 AM
NASN is €20 per month.A bit expensive but you get a lot for your money and there is endless coverage of all the American sports if your into that. Channel 5 is not on sky digital - can you get it does any one know?

See

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/

for a Free To View card - costs £20 - one off payment and you get ITV 1.2 & 3, Channel 4 & Five plus lots of others

You need a UK address but card will work here.

Colbert Report
24/02/2005, 3:37 AM
The Mets won't do anything this year, Florida have added so much power to their lineup. Atlanta should win the division again despite a dodgy bullpen now that Smoltz is back in the starting five, where he never should have left. Philly should break .500 and don't count Washington out, I've seen Montreal play more than any other team (save for my beloved Red Sox) over the past few years and they have a fully stocked cabinet of prospects ready to step up. The Mets have to hope that Beltran wasn't a one year wonder and that Pedros shoulder can last through April, never mind October. It's a big big gamble and I can't see them pulling it off this year, especially in such a good division.

carrickharp
24/02/2005, 8:14 AM
I usually subscribe to NASN around July as it takes a while for the season to get going what with so many matches, lets go White Sox :o

Soko
24/02/2005, 2:26 PM
The Mets have to hope that Beltran wasn't a one year wonder and that Pedros shoulder can last through April, never mind October. It's a big big gamble and I can't see them pulling it off this year, especially in such a good division.

The Braves will win it again but I'm hoping for the Wildcard spot ahead of the Marlins. This season depends on injuries i.e. if Reyes, Pedro, Piazza and co can stay healthy then they have as good a lineup as any.

David Wright, 3B, is going to be the new star on this team. I have no fears about Beltran as he can swing it with the best of them.

Colbert Report
23/07/2005, 1:14 AM
mets are too far out of it now

ali2005
23/07/2005, 2:12 PM
Any other baseball fans out there? I decided I'd make my own little thread and talk about how the Mets are going to rise again to win the NL East and go to the World Series.

With Pedro Martinez and Carlos Beltran on board plus a healthy Kaz Matsui and Jose Reyes they should compete. Plus David Wright, Mike Piazza, Cliff Flyodd and Mike Cameron thats a good batting lineup. with Glavine, Benson and Pedro the rotation is good enough to win and Looper save. No one knows whats going on but wtf cares anyway?

The mets are usless Yankees all the way. I myself went to a yankees match in new york in 03 against the texas rangers. Top class. I got a baseball signed by derek jeter

CollegeTillIDie
23/07/2005, 4:36 PM
Used to Live in Montreal and once went to see the Expos get tonked 4-1 by the Cardinals... Montreal no longer have an MLB team... lost interest in baseball as a result....that's the sad reality of North American sport. The franchise can be sold and relocated.
Some examples....Baseball. Brooklyn Dodgers moved to LA in the 1950's
NHL Qubec Nordiques sold and moved to Denver Colorado and become the Colorado Avalanche.

NFL... Baltimore Colts Sold to Indianapolis
Cleveland Browns Sold to Baltimore

At least in Eircom League Soccer... Shamrock Rovers would not be sold and relocated to Castlebar... or Waterford United sold and moved to Killarney

Soko
25/07/2005, 5:54 PM
The mets are usless Yankees all the way. I myself went to a yankees match in new york in 03 against the texas rangers. Top class. I got a baseball signed by derek jeter

Jeter is a classy guy indeed.

The Mets are rebuilding but things dont seem as bad as you might think. They certainly need at least one more SP and a new closer but the batting lineup can keep them in games they shouldn't.

And Pedro is just incredible. 51-47 is hardly useless.

ali2005
27/07/2005, 3:48 PM
Jeter is a classy guy indeed.

The Mets are rebuilding but things dont seem as bad as you might think. They certainly need at least one more SP and a new closer but the batting lineup can keep them in games they shouldn't.

And Pedro is just incredible. 51-47 is hardly useless.

I was only joking the mets are rebuilding their squad and in time they might become as good as the yankees.

(ya right!)

Clifford
11/05/2006, 1:18 PM
All right all? I think it's time to rejuvenate this thread again.

Yanks and Sox doing battle at the mo, locked at 1-1. Game three on is on Setanta tonight.

The Mets off to a flyer again this year. All the action around Bonds is boring now. Cards looking decent as well - watched them last night.

Block G Raptor
11/05/2006, 2:02 PM
Just got NASN in for this exact reason. Go SOX

carrickharp
11/05/2006, 3:16 PM
Just got NASN in for this exact reason.
Same here looking foward to hopfully another exciting season and I will be getting to a few games this summer as well plan to drive from New York to Chicago in late July.

Clifford
12/05/2006, 9:50 AM
Well the NASN / Setanta combination seems to be a winner for peeps who like me want to see a load of the US sports. I think they are going to have World Series game also this year for the first time. I was disappointed last 2 seasons after watchin most of the season only to find no WS matches were to be shown.

I left last night's game at 3-1 Yankees, but it turns out the Sox came back strongly and took it 5-3. Loretta and Lowell look like real good back up to the 2 big guns.

Matsui broke his wrist for the Yanks.

Aberdonian Stu
12/05/2006, 11:22 AM
Setanta showed the 2005 World series, at least in Ireland.

Clifford
12/05/2006, 12:46 PM
Setanta showed the 2005 World series, at least in Ireland.

Sorry wasn't clear in my last post, I had NASN at the time. Now it's great cos they have joined up.

shedite
21/05/2006, 9:35 AM
I saw last night that Josh Beckett, the Red Sox pitcher scored a home run. I never knew pitchers batted. Any idea why Beckett did?

Real ale Madrid
21/05/2006, 11:22 AM
I saw last night that Josh Beckett, the Red Sox pitcher scored a home run. I never knew pitchers batted. Any idea why Beckett did?

It was interleague play. In the National League the pitchers bat as well. In interleague play the American league teams have to put the pitcher in the batting line-up.
Bronson Arroyo the ex-red sox pitcher has 2 home runs with the Cinncinnatti Reds in the NL this year.

Soko
22/05/2006, 4:59 PM
It was interleague play. In the National League the pitchers bat as well. In interleague play the American league teams have to put the pitcher in the batting line-up.

Only if its being played at an NL park. If the game was in Boston then AL rules apply.

Real ale Madrid
22/05/2006, 10:40 PM
Well the Yanks and Sox go head to head again tonight. Anyone got any opinion on the outcome. Going to try and stay up for this one. Should be a decent contest with 4-1 Wang going up against Curt Schilling.

Soko
23/05/2006, 1:59 AM
The Yankees are a pity, a perfect example of how not to assmble a baseball team with unlimited resources.

The core of the team came through their farm system, Jeter, Posada, Rivera etc... yet they overpay mercaneries like Pavano, Wright, Johnson and co. to build an old, rusting, oft injured starting rotation. You cannot win without pitching. Simple as.

How do solve this? Sign FA - look above to see the results. Option B - trade for a pitcher i.e. Dontrelle Willis (who the Marlins have to trade because they are cheaper than CCFC) or Jason Schmidt, Barry Zito. You cant do this without a good farm system though which the Yankess have depleted and only have 1 good prospect on their books, therefore they are out of the Willis sweepstakes unless they offer a starter negating his arrival. They need lots of help. Teams like Atlanta have built their new squad on their incredible farm system and depsite stingy owners always have success. Bleak outlook for the Yankees bar their cheque book.

carrickharp
23/05/2006, 8:10 AM
Well the Yanks and Sox go head to head again tonight. Anyone got any opinion on the outcome. Going to try and stay up for this one. Should be a decent contest with 4-1 Wang going up against Curt Schilling.
9-5 to Boston:cool:

Clifford
23/05/2006, 12:37 PM
Great stuff from Schilling, he got a little bogged down in the third, but came back very strong. I turned off at 7-1 up in the 7th. Lowell was an inspired signing and Papi just gets hotter and hotter against the Planks.

Who's your daddy now Demon?

The Yanks are in bits at the moment with injuries, but your so spot on Soko about their pitching, it's seriously lacking with the ever aging Jonson falling apart. Let's see them crumble tonight and for the rest of the season.

Is it on NASN/Setanta again tonight?

carrickharp
23/05/2006, 12:49 PM
Looks like it's not on TV, well it's not in the TV listings anyway:(

Soko
23/05/2006, 3:05 PM
Looks like it's not on TV, well it's not in the TV listings anyway:(

Its on NESN ;)

Real ale Madrid
23/05/2006, 3:08 PM
No harm to the Yanks - but talks of thier demise is a bit premature. There is talks of them trading for Willis and with a fully fit line-up they are still a formidable outfit. Great to see Schilling get another win after a slightly rocky last two games. Unfortunately fell asleep after 3 inns:o last night. hopefully can stay awake for tonight and tomorrow night.

Soko
23/05/2006, 9:32 PM
No harm to the Yanks - but talks of thier demise is a bit premature. There is talks of them trading for Willis and with a fully fit line-up they are still a formidable outfit. Great to see Schilling get another win after a slightly rocky last two games. Unfortunately fell asleep after 3 inns:o last night. hopefully can stay awake for tonight and tomorrow night.

Well its not really, they have one proven starter now in Mussina and the coaches are even doubting if Johnson can become a dominant pitcher again. His velocity is gone and he needs to re-invent himslef for the first time in his career, thats very difficult to do when you have a dominant fastball and wicked slider to rely on all your career.

They cant trade for Willis for the reasons I stated above, they have zero resources and this isn't FA. Any other team with some half decent prospects will trump the Yankees offer. They over paid for anohter aging CF in Damon whose play ahs been sub par and their best outfielder, Matsui is out for 3 months. Another dinosaur, Sheffield, is coming back from a near month lay off. This team will not win the AL East and I dont think they'll make the playoffs.

Real ale Madrid
23/05/2006, 9:45 PM
Well its not really, they have one proven starter now in Mussina and the coaches are even doubting if Johnson can become a dominant pitcher again. His velocity is gone and he needs to re-invent himslef for the first time in his career, thats very difficult to do when you have a dominant fastball and wicked slider to rely on all your career.

They cant trade for Willis for the reasons I stated above, they have zero resources and this isn't FA. Any other team with some half decent prospects will trump the Yankees offer. They over paid for anohter aging CF in Damon whose play ahs been sub par and their best outfielder, Matsui is out for 3 months. Another dinosaur, Sheffield, is coming back from a near month lay off. This team will not win the AL East and I dont think they'll make the playoffs.

I dunno, you know a lot more about it than me - but they still have a strong bullpen even if their starting pitching isnt the best. And they still have the 2nd best era in the AL so they wont be too far off the mark again this year. But as a red sox fan i hope you are right.

DmanDmythDledge
23/05/2006, 10:57 PM
Does anybody think that Pujols can win the Triple Crown this year? I think it's a possibility. He has been on fire so far. I think (and hope!) that the Red Sox will finally win the AL east this year. The reason for this is because of their improved rotation. I think it was a mistake to trade Arroyo though. I've been a bit worried by Ramirez's lack of home runs but I feel he will come good eventually as always.

crc
23/05/2006, 11:22 PM
9-5 to Boston:cool:
F*ck! I left it at 4-1 in the 5th - too tired! I'll try and watch another chunk tonight, but I've got to get up at 7am.

NASN kicks a$$, its just a pity its all on so bloddy late (although, on the plus side for me, there's zero competition for the TV).

Real ale Madrid
24/05/2006, 12:11 AM
1-0 to yanks already Damon with leadoff homer

Jerry The Saint
24/05/2006, 10:03 AM
1-0 to yanks already Damon with leadoff homer

Finished 7-5 for the Yankees.

Saw a great banner about Johnny Damon at his first game back in Fenway.

Johnny Damon:

Looks like Jesus
Acts like Judas
Throws like Mary

:D

Clifford
24/05/2006, 10:05 AM
7-5 to the Yanks, damn media woke A Rod up the other night. Tim May isn't fully finding his feet just yet.

It's not on NASN or Setanta either tonight it apears.

Real ale Madrid
24/05/2006, 10:52 AM
Finished 7-5 for the Yankees.

Saw a great banner about Johnny Damon at his first game back in Fenway.

:D

thanks for the result fell asleep after 5 inns last night and that Fcuker who throws like Mary was 2 for 2 with a homer and another RBI double. Probably the difference last night by all accounts. Red Sox stranded a lot of runners last night during the first half of the game. Should have won really.

Soko
24/05/2006, 12:59 PM
Does anybody think that Pujols can win the Triple Crown this year? I think it's a possibility. He has been on fire so far. I think (and hope!) that the Red Sox will finally win the AL east this year. The reason for this is because of their improved rotation. I think it was a mistake to trade Arroyo though. I've been a bit worried by Ramirez's lack of home runs but I feel he will come good eventually as always.

Pujols has a great shot at the TC, its all about his average as he'll walk away with the homers and RBIs. A day will come quite soon when he's going to get Barry Bonds treatment even though he can still hit pitches going away just like strikes.

Bronson Arroyo is pitching in the NL Central, the Red Sox play in the AL East. Night and day plus Willy Mo Pena has proven to be an excellent role player and is only 24. Bronson is 30 I believe and would be 4-4 with an era of over 4 if he was still with the Red Sox. It would be better to have him as 5th starter now but when Papelbon moves into the rotation you'll be glad the trade was made.

No offense but if you're getting worried about Mannys production then you haven't been watching him too long. Great players always get out of their funk plus its not even June yet.

Real ale Madrid
29/05/2006, 10:40 AM
Bonds hit home run no. 715 last night..... 2nd all time now ahead of Babe Ruth.

Clifford
31/05/2006, 12:52 PM
Nice one BB, everyone of em a good one in my book.

DmanDmythDledge
07/07/2006, 2:31 AM
Boston Red Sox- unbelievable. Win 12 straight and then go and lose 3 in a row to Tampa Bay. At least their winning tonight's game at the moment.

David Ortiz just has to be MVP if he keeps going the way he is. DH or not he is more valuable to the Red Sox than any player to any other team.

I think that Red Sox, White Sox, Oakland and Detroit(wild card) will make the playoffs from the AL. Mets, Cards, Dodgers and Cincinati(wild card) from NL. Also how do the pairings for the playoffs work? Do certain division winners always end up playing each other or is it done by record?

theworm2345
07/07/2006, 5:49 AM
Take it from a lifelong Cubs fans, your poor *******s dont want to get involved in baseball http://img70.exs.cx/img70/2972/crying5lc.gif

Real ale Madrid
07/07/2006, 9:33 AM
Boston Red Sox- unbelievable. Win 12 straight and then go and lose 3 in a row to Tampa Bay. At least their winning tonight's game at the moment.

David Ortiz just has to be MVP if he keeps going the way he is. DH or not he is more valuable to the Red Sox than any player to any other team.

I think that Red Sox, White Sox, Oakland and Detroit(wild card) will make the playoffs from the AL. Mets, Cards, Dodgers and Cincinati(wild card) from NL. Also how do the pairings for the playoffs work? Do certain division winners always end up playing each other or is it done by record?

AFAIK the wild card plays the no.1 ranked team with the other two playing each other in the other game.