PDA

View Full Version : Alan Maybury

Eirambler
03/01/2005, 4:55 PM
Apparently on his way to Leicester for just £30,000.

I know his contract is up in 6 months but thats still almost for nothing.

Possibly a record low transfer fee for a current Irish International (in the last 10 years anyway).

Pablo
04/01/2005, 2:32 PM
Apparently on his way to Leicester for just £30,000.

I know his contract is up in 6 months but thats still almost for nothing.

Possibly a record low transfer fee for a current Irish International (in the last 10 years anyway).

i think Dominic Foley went for less to Bohs from the portugeuse team

tricky_colour
04/01/2005, 6:38 PM
With just six months to go on your contract you can go for nothing
if you wait a while, does seem a very small sum though.
He may be an international but he is not quite a superstar (yet).

Metrostars
04/01/2005, 8:45 PM
I guess the transfer fee was too much for Rangers in the end.... :)

TheOneWhoKnocks
27/06/2015, 2:11 PM
Maybury on not fulfilling his potential in that Leeds team.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-utd/leeds-united-maybury-enriched-by-his-time-at-elland-road-1-7329207

“We had some great young players. Steve McPhail, Nicky Byrne and Harry Kewell were there with me. I was in the second year and (Jonathan)Woodgate and (Paul) Robinson were in the first year. I remember one meeting; I think it was at the start of a new year.

Really?

Crosby87
27/06/2015, 2:50 PM
You're like Dr Frankenstein bringing the monster thread back from the dead.

DannyInvincible
20/05/2017, 12:55 PM
I can't seem to find a thread dedicated to Maybury, but The42.ie have published a lengthy interview piece today looking back at his career: http://www.the42.ie/alan-maybury-interview-3399602-May2017/

He talks about having rejected an offer from Rangers in his youth and how things are now, twenty years since he won the FA Youth Cup with Leeds United's "golden generation". He says he didn't actually support Rangers, as is often claimed. Oddly, this 2004 interview piece (http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/hearts-in-the-right-place-for-maybury-1.1131336) in the Irish Times claimed he supported them as a boy, with this alleged support being described by interviewee Mary Hannigan as "natural enough for a young lad born in to the Protestant footballing faith".

Anyway, the facts appear to be that he had been on trial at Rangers after doing well for Home Farm in the Milk Cup and felt well-treated in Glasgow as the club flew his family over and Walter Smith spoke to them personally. Of his feelings towards Rangers, he said the following to The42.ie: "After that experience, it's a club you start to look out for, but I wouldn't say I supported Rangers."

Maybury says the decision to pick Leeds over a Rangers side that went on to dominate Scottish football in the 1990s was purely motivated by footballing reasons, but he acknowledges a move to Ibrox would have brought undue scrutiny and increased attention on his burgeoning career after already sampling the negative reaction on his return to Dublin.

"Going home, Rangers gave me a bag full of kit. I had no issue wearing it back in Dublin and having it on going to training. In my last season before going to England, I was with St Kevin’s and you used to just wear your own kit going to training. I may have been going to training in a Rangers jumper or whatever and some people didn’t like that. It certainly wasn’t inside the club because these schoolboy teams want their players to do well, regardless of where they go, but people on the outside would give you abuse or say you’re a disgrace. I’m quite thick-skinned, it didn’t really bother me. You can’t please everyone. In the end, it came down to whether I would sign for Rangers or for Leeds – I just felt the pathway and opportunities were better suited to me at Leeds."

CraftyToePoke
15/09/2017, 12:37 AM
“Loads of players with technical ability don’t want to work hard. They think they are superstars [and] just fall out of the game. You can’t trust them. They are unreliable in the team.”

From the same article, can't trust the technical fancy twinkle toed chappies.

tetsujin1979
28/06/2018, 10:48 AM
Joining the backroom setup at St Johnstone as youth coach: http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/post/tommy-delighted-new-backroom-staff