PDA

View Full Version : Question for Derry fans

Suetrol Ned
19/02/2005, 9:12 PM
I see your home games are on Friday nights now.

I always though you could only play on either Thursday or Saturday nights because there was greyhound racing in the Brandywell on Friday nights ?

Buller
19/02/2005, 9:29 PM
Who gives a dam?! It changed day! Big deal!!! :cool:

wakenuppaddy
19/02/2005, 9:30 PM
Not trying to be smart but I think that the fact that Lifford now is the main dog track in the northwest probably influenced them.
This would have made it an easier option for the doggy people,maybe I could be wrong.

wakenuppaddy
19/02/2005, 9:33 PM
Suetrol Ned seems to give a damn, so wise up.

Slash/ED
19/02/2005, 9:46 PM

There's a pretty big difference between thursdays, fridays and saturdays when it comes to getting up there, so it is a big deal.

MariborKev
20/02/2005, 1:26 AM
I won't just take it set in stone as yet.......

holidaysong
20/02/2005, 12:04 PM
We have Thursday games too, I don't like it. I'm only back in Dundalk at weekends and miss the games.

NY Hoop
21/02/2005, 12:24 PM
Thursday nights should be abolished FOREVER. There is no evidence that bigger crowds go. Derry should have them sat night but friday isnt as bad as thursday so............

KOH

Hibs4Ever
21/02/2005, 12:29 PM
Agree. Thursday night matches are terrible for away supporters, hopefully the Fridays will stick

Passive
22/02/2005, 9:57 AM
Thursday nights should be abolished FOREVER.

Abolishing a day of the week might be a bit extreme :p

Seriously though, all games should be played on Saturdays or Sundays because away supporters simply can't travel in numbers on weekdays. The only games that should be played on Friday nights are derbies. How are away supporters supposed to get to Derry for a Friday night fixture?

Macy
22/02/2005, 10:01 AM
How are away supporters supposed to get to Derry for a Friday night fixture?
And vica versa in fairness. Saturday afternoon/night should be the time for football, bar derby games. Personally, I'd prefer Saturday afternoons.

De Town
22/02/2005, 10:08 AM
And vica versa in fairness. Saturday afternoon/night should be the time for football, bar derby games. Personally, I'd prefer Saturday afternoons.
What about Sundays at 2pm (once the bar gets opened) Because afterwards people can go in and watch the Premiership game on Sky. It would be a huge money-spinner for the Town, or any other club for that matter.

Macy
22/02/2005, 10:17 AM
What about Sundays at 2pm (once the bar gets opened) Because afterwards people can go in and watch the Premiership game on Sky. It would be a huge money-spinner for the Town, or any other club for that matter.
My ranking would be Saturday afternoon, Sunday afternoon, Saturday night, Friday night. No other night to be applicable for weekend fixtures (so no Thursdays or Mondays)

Neish
22/02/2005, 11:36 AM
I suppose there would be no chance of moving the Derry Vs Harps game on July 8th back to the thursday 7th. Just I was planning on heading down to Oxegen on the friday afternoon. Sure some Derry fans were planning similar before fixture list came out.

Can't imagine this happening :(

dcfcsteve
22/02/2005, 11:45 AM
How are away supporters supposed to get to Derry for a Friday night fixture?

The same way that Derry fans have to get to The Pale 4 or 5 times more this season for the reverse fixtures I guess..... :eek: :rolleyes:

Passive
22/02/2005, 12:02 PM
The same way that Derry fans have to get to The Pale 4 or 5 times more this season for the reverse fixtures I guess..... :eek: :rolleyes:

Exactly - they can't.
I didn't just mean that Rovers fans can't travel to Derry on Friday nights, I mean that no one who holds down a Monday - Friday job can attend a game on a Friday night if it is several hundred miles away on. As I said, only derby games should be played on Friday nights.

MariborKev
22/02/2005, 12:03 PM
Thursday nights should be abolished FOREVER. There is no evidence that bigger crowds go. Derry should have them sat night but friday isnt as bad as thursday so............

KOH

NY Hoop

We get bigger crowds on a Thursday.......fact

Hibs4Ever
22/02/2005, 12:16 PM
NY Hoop

But what about away fans????

NY Hoop
22/02/2005, 12:26 PM
NY Hoop

Unfortunately clubs could not care less about away fans. I've been to the brandywell on thursday nights and saturday nights. The difference is minimal. One steward told me that everybody goes to bundoran for the weekend! Thats a great reason for away fans to travel midweek.

You might get more on thursdays but on saturdays you will have substantially more away fans. Also football is a weekend game. Go to any other country.

I'm with passive on this. Friday nights for derbies only. Why do you think Harps away attracts so many of us?

KOH

OneRedArmy
22/02/2005, 12:31 PM
My ranking would be Saturday afternoon, Sunday afternoon, Saturday night, Friday night. No other night to be applicable for weekend fixtures (so no Thursdays or Mondays)

Unlike England, there's no recent history of Saturday afternoon league football in Ireland (in the Republic at least) and my guess is that attendences would be atrocious.

The Irish League plays on a Sat afternoon but attendance-wise that league is dying on its feet.

From a personal point of view, I'd go back to Sunday afternoons if I had my choice. The original reason it was moved was that Sky were showing English footy only on a Sunday afternoon so there was a clear incentive to move away from the live match. Obviously since then, the number of English and European matches being shown live has grown hugely and there is televised football on pretty much all the time from Friday evening to Sunday night, so you're never going to get away from competition.

In terms of suiting away fans, unfortunately business realities will dictate and if allowed, clubs will always pick the time that they feel will maximize attendence. Outside of local derbies (and one offs) away crowds are negligible in the League and pretty much always have been. Why change a match time to bring 40 extra away fans if it knocks 400-500 off your home crowd?

What it really needs is the League to do some proper market research on the general publics views (ie potential fans) and feed the results into a wider, detailed, 5 year business plan to increase the profile of the domestic game.

Wait, that would be showing pro-activity......

At any rate I would imagine the new TV deal will have an impact on when games are played.

Oh and I also agree that Thursday football should be banned, but unless the League does something about it, clubs still have the option.

MariborKev
22/02/2005, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately clubs could not care less about away fans. I've been to the brandywell on thursday nights and saturday nights. The difference is minimal. One steward told me that everybody goes to bundoran for the weekend! Thats a great reason for away fans to travel midweek.

You might get more on thursdays but on saturdays you will have substantially more away fans. Also football is a weekend game. Go to any other country.

I'm with passive on this. Friday nights for derbies only. Why do you think Harps away attracts so many of us?

KOH

NY Hoop as someone who has been involving in doing attendance counting and compairing gates receipts for numerous games to assess the difference, let me tell you it is not minimal. Do you think we swapped back to Thurtsday night midway through last season for ne reason- there was a big difference in numbers

As for away fans, there is a difference about seventy(for the better supported clubs). The difference in home fans far outweighs that!

Colm
22/02/2005, 12:48 PM
Seriously though, all games should be played on Saturdays or Sundays because away supporters simply can't travel in numbers on weekdays. The only games that should be played on Friday nights are derbies.

City fans don't seem to have any problems travelling to Dublin in big numbers every second Friday.
In fact when we played Rovers on Saturday last season less actually travelled than normally would on a Friday.
I agree that Thursday nights are a disaster for away fans but, from our point of view at least, Fridays are ok.

Wiseguy
22/02/2005, 1:39 PM
I think Saturdays nights are a much better option especially for away fans.Getting to Dublin involves taking an hour off work on Fridays just to get back to Longford on time to get the Bus.Derry, Waterford, Cork all involve taking half days and that's just for me.I'm sure there are loads of people out there who just can't get the time off work so a lot of research needs to be done on this but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Macy
22/02/2005, 1:47 PM
Unlike England, there's no recent history of Saturday afternoon league football in Ireland (in the Republic at least) and my guess is that attendences would be atrocious.

The Irish League plays on a Sat afternoon but attendance-wise that league is dying on its feet.
Fact is we get shíte attendances too, and we're dying on our overspending feet...

Infairness you did say Sunday afternoons - which as I said earlier would be my second choice.

The ability to travel away in daylight, on the day of the match (or by Public Transport without doing an overnighter) would be of real benefit to the fans. The battle is lost over football on TV - as was said we'd clash whatever night the games are played. We have to start thinking for ourselves...

Passive
22/02/2005, 2:03 PM
City fans don't seem to have any problems travelling to Dublin in big numbers every second Friday.

I guess you and I differ on our definition of "big numbers".
We always wind you up for not bringing many fans with you, but I have a degree of sympathy for Cork fans in that it is difficult for them to get to Friday night games. I can't speak for Cork fans (it could be argued that very few of them can actually speak :p ) but I know that Rovers bring far more supporters to weekend away games than they do to Friday night ones.
Maribor claims that the differences in home attendences outweight the differences in away attendence, in which case it makes sense for clubs financially. It is a pity, however, because it is better for all concerned to have a large away following inside the stadium.

NY Hoop
24/02/2005, 12:27 PM
NY Hoop as someone who has been involving in doing attendance counting and compairing gates receipts for numerous games to assess the difference, let me tell you it is not minimal. Do you think we swapped back to Thurtsday night midway through last season for ne reason- there was a big difference in numbers

As for away fans, there is a difference about seventy(for the better supported clubs). The difference in home fans far outweighs that!

Have to take your word for it then. But still thursday is a disaster however well you dress it up. Not only for the fans but for the players who are working. Hopefully we'll never see it again.

Friday night should be for derbies only with games sat night or sun afternoon.

KOH

dortie
24/02/2005, 8:03 PM
no one who holds down a Monday - Friday job can attend a game on a Friday night if it is several hundred miles away on. As I said, only derby games should be played on Friday nights.

If your prepared to use your holidays you can !!! Like me ;)
On the Derry issue, Im praying we move to a Friday night, purely for the social element and to give away fans the chance...I have always despised Thursday night football.

CollegeTillIDie
24/02/2005, 11:13 PM
NY Hoop

Originally Dundalk and Derry City started playing on Thursday nights cause that is dole day :p

dortie
25/02/2005, 12:52 PM
NY Hoop

Originally Dundalk and Derry City started playing on Thursday nights cause that is dole day :p

Never 'dodged tax' either as a STUDENT or through being Unemployed :p

oú est j.cotter
25/02/2005, 1:45 PM
Friday night should be for derbies only with games sat night or sun afternoon.

KOH

but 'Friday night is eircom league night' ;)

mypost
26/02/2005, 2:44 AM
Night-time games in most European countries kick off on, or after 8 in the evening. Portuguese games, (same time zone as here) start at 9, or 9.30pm. Only games in Ireland, and Britain have night-time games that usually kick-off before 8pm. Ireland's home International games during the week begin at 7.30pm, and even worse at 3pm on weekends, when there is no afternoon football culture here.

I, like many others can't attend most Friday night games because of work commitments. National League games here should all kick-off at 8.30pm on Saturday nights, when there is the least competition from other sports, work commitments, and tv football. It benefits all players, and away fans who wish to travel. That's why games at Longford and Finn Harps, who play their home games on Saturday nights, are great trips for away fans. :)
If only more clubs followed their lead. :(

MariborKev
26/02/2005, 9:13 AM
I, like many others can't attend most Friday night games because of work commitments. National League games here should all kick-off at 8.30pm on Saturday nights, when there is the least competition from other sports, work commitments, and tv football. It benefits all players, and away fans who wish to travel. That's why games at Longford and Finn Harps, who play their home games on Saturday nights, are great trips for away fans. :)

And what about people who like going out on a Saturday night?

8.30 on a Saturday means the game isn't over, and you out of the stadium till 10.30

Éanna
26/02/2005, 2:17 PM

8.30 on a Saturday means the game isn't over, and you out of the stadium till 10.30
yeah, thats the problem. Mypost makes a good case, the only flaw is that in most european countries, there aren't the restrictive pub opening hours that we have here.

CollegeTillIDie
26/02/2005, 5:28 PM
Night-time games in most European countries kick off on, or after 8 in the evening. Portuguese games, (same time zone as here) start at 9, or 9.30pm. Only games in Ireland, and Britain have night-time games that usually kick-off before 8pm. Ireland's home International games during the week begin at 7.30pm, and even worse at 3pm on weekends, when there is no afternoon football culture here.

If games here kicked off at 8:30 or 9:00 p.m. there would be even less coverage in the national newspapers because the Papers claim they have deadlines needing the reports by 9:30 -10:00 otherwise they cannot carry them for the following morning's editions.

I know what you are about to say... Spanish newspapers manage it and you are quite right about that!

CollegeTillIDie
26/02/2005, 5:30 PM
Never 'dodged tax' either as a STUDENT or through being Unemployed :p

Never said you did. Only question is when did men in Derry start getting jobs up there ? :D

CollegeTillIDie
26/02/2005, 5:31 PM

They usually get drunk or take too many drugs and kick the crap out of some poor other drunk in a city street at 2 a.m.
On the whole going to football matches is a better idea ! :D

liambo
28/02/2005, 6:52 PM
They usually get drunk or take too many drugs and kick the crap out of some poor other drunk in a city street at 2 a.m.

hi laddie,you'd need to put some vinegar on those chips on your shoulders. :D :D :D

mypost
01/03/2005, 4:11 AM
Mypost makes a good case, the only flaw is that in most european countries, there aren't the restrictive pub opening hours that we have here.

You can always go to the pub, and drink responsibly before the game, but if you're really desperate to booze after the game, there are pubs at most league grounds that you can go to, there are also local nightclubs. If that doesn't suit, then you can go out another night. Like I said, considering the alternatives, with work commitments, local traffic, and tv football been the main reasons why fans can't/don't go to games, games on Saturday evenings are the best time to play league games.

Regarding media coverage of games, it's not that great as it is anyway, so I can't see why a later start time would affect much coverage. If all games started later at the same time, the press would simply have to include reports on the games. Different newspapers have different deadlines to meet, other papers have second editions, so match reports would be available in the papers the next day.

Mad Moose
01/03/2005, 6:19 PM
I'm sure there are loads of people out there who just can't get the time off work so a lot of research needs to be done on this but i wouldn't hold my breath.

This is very much the reason I expect I'll see very few away games this season.The last few season's antic's were enough to cost me my job and let me tell ya working was often a greater pleasure, trips to Limerick (Nice people involved at that club), Kilkenny and Athlone spring to mind. I couldn't even make it over to Coleraine tonight. Its a catch 22. I don't particularly like giving up Saturday commitments to travel and I cant afford to lose a day duing the week to travel. I'm sure i'll reach some sort of compromise :rolleyes: .

Brendan

Mad Moose
01/03/2005, 6:21 PM
and you out of the stadium till 10.30

Kev....................what stadium!!!!!! :D :D :D

Brendan

Mad Moose
01/03/2005, 6:25 PM

I'm going to take up watching Rugby from here on in. Sounds like a bogstandard night in Derry in any case :) .

Brendan

dortie
01/03/2005, 6:37 PM

Brendan

Still 10 times better than that kip of yours !
I wouldnt gloat if I was you.

harpskid
01/03/2005, 7:04 PM
Still 10 times better than that kip of yours !
I wouldnt gloat if I was you.

Indeed Brendan, wait til the new one gets built.

Then gloat :D

dortie
01/03/2005, 7:59 PM
Indeed Brendan, wait til the new one gets built.

Then gloat :D

Aye, both of you will be on the pension when that happens.

liambo
02/03/2005, 10:14 AM

Brendan
hi brendie of the shiny waterboots,
you've a brass neck critising anybodys stadium.that kip of yours looks and smells like a cattle yard.and those concrete seats!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

MariborKev
02/03/2005, 11:03 AM
Tis alright lads

I think he meant to ask "What is a stadium?"

Forgive them, for they know not what they do :D

liambo
02/03/2005, 2:38 PM
Tis alright lads

I think he meant to ask "What is a stadium?"

Forgive them, for they know not what they do :D

:D :D :D

Buile Shuibhne