PDA

View Full Version : City Fixture Breakdown - could it be any harder?

pete
19/02/2005, 8:06 PM
I suppose we knew would happen with idiotic 3 game series league :(

City play 1 extra away game from the 33.
From league positions last year have to give 1 home game advantage to 4 of the other top 6 teams.
Only top 6 team we have advantage of is Drogs.

2 Away Games
1. shels
3. bohs
5. waterford
6. longford
9. rovers
11.Harps

2 Home Games
4. drogs
7. derry
8. pats
12. ucd
13. Bray

Slash/ED
19/02/2005, 8:13 PM
It's not fair on Cork at all, what if Shels win the league by one point having lost at the Cross but won once and drawn once at Tolka, could you really say the league was a fair reflection on the standard of the teams then? I hate this 33 matches rubbish, even though the draw has favoured Shels.

sullanefc
19/02/2005, 8:14 PM
Very difficult alright. Home advantage over Pats, drogheda and Derry. Teams we had good results against last year. And the teams we struggled against i.e Shels, Bohs, Shams & WUFC we have to play twice away. If we are challenging for the league by the end of the season then it will be some achievement.

pete
19/02/2005, 8:17 PM
I wouldn't even look at in terms of teams we have good or bad records against as thats life.

The most telling stat i think is that we have to play extra way game at 4 of the other top 6 teams (city one of the other top 6) & only extra home game against 1 top 6 team.

sullanefc
19/02/2005, 8:18 PM
It's not fair on Cork at all, what if Shels win the league by one point having lost at the Cross but won once and drawn once at Tolka, could you really say the league was a fair reflection on the standard of the teams then? I hate this 33 matches rubbish, even though the draw has favoured Shels.

Someone mentioned in the General Section that Bohs play both Finn Harps and Derry twice at home. Shouldn't they have to play away twice against one of them? They also only come to Turners Cross once. It seems unfair that they have a lot less travelling to do this year.

sullanefc
19/02/2005, 8:21 PM
I wouldn't even look at in terms of teams we have good or bad records against as thats life.

The most telling stat i think is that we have to play extra way game at 4 of the other top 6 teams (city one of the other top 6) & only extra home game against 1 top 6 team.

I don't have a fixture list but do you know which teams have 17 home games and which teams have 16? Would be interested in seeing which clubs get the extra home gate revenue this year.

pete
19/02/2005, 8:27 PM
Don't know about the rest but Shels, Bohs (not including extra "home" game against Rovers & Drogs all have 17 home games.

Of title pretenders
Bohs have extra home game againts shels & city (& all 3 games against Rovers in Dalymount)
Drogs have extra home game agsinst Bohs & Shels
City get extra game against Drogs

IMO is hard to see harder fixture list for City.

:ball: s

Interestingly City, Bohs & Drogs all had better away record last season.

Slash/ED
19/02/2005, 8:44 PM
(& all 3 games against Rovers in Dalymount)

Actually, all 3 are in Tolka I think.

Rebal Boy
19/02/2005, 9:21 PM
Well as they say, if you want to win the league you have got to do it the hard way. I belive if City can stay unbeaten in their first 8-10 games they will have a great chance of doing it. Let's not think that far yet. Let's just hope for a good and exiting season.

Éanna
19/02/2005, 10:47 PM
ridiculous and shambolic. (be a good motto for the eircom League :rolleyes: )

Just means we have to do it the hard way :)

SÓC
19/02/2005, 11:40 PM
What ever about on the field, off the field it is a shocking blow to the club.

Our four biggests gates of the season have been taken away from us, it has no been done in a fair manner at all. Disgrace.

Ah well on the field we usually have to beat 12 opponents, looks like off the field its much the same

colblimp
20/02/2005, 9:10 AM
It just sums up the joke that is the FAI. Only they could increase the number of teams in the league but reduce the amount of games the clubs have to play. IT MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL :mad: AARRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

We wont be playing against 12 opponents, it will be against 13. The Re*****s are always against us as well.

I hate 'em. The Re*****s and the FAI should be put against a wall and poked in the eye. With a fountain pen. That's full of ink. Black ink.

So there.

EnDai
20/02/2005, 9:57 AM
It's ridiculous. Just shows how totally unfair ti works out: Shels play Cork and Bohs at home twice, whereas Cork play Shels and Bohs away twice. Such a fúcking joke! I mean, something as big as that could actually end up costing a team like Cork a European place :(

SSS
20/02/2005, 10:10 AM
This fixture thing is a joke.
Dolan said on BRB yesterday that the fixtures aren't even done by computer - it's all down to an individual (Michael Hayes or something). The same guy who had us all over the shop last season (how many weeks was it without a home game?).

Interestingly he spoke about "if Cork City are happy with that.." at least twice. He talked about Shels doing their "homework".

He was rambling a bit but he's broadly right. As he said, could we ever see it happening that Shels would have to travel down here twice?

The only hopeful thing is that City had better records away than at home against Shels and Bohs last season..

On a separate note to be revisited when I do the math - the 24% increase in my season ticket price in light of only 16 home league games, the continued absence of worthy friendlies and the exclusion for the first time of U21 and MSC games is beginning to seem a bit excessive. :( .

patsh
20/02/2005, 10:26 AM
The most unfair aspect of the fixtures I think is that $hels, Bohs, SPA & Rovers are the 4 main Dublin teams. We could resonably have expected to play 2 of them away twice 2 at home twice, but playing 3 of them away twice is blatently unfair.

UCD, Bray, Drogs are normally our lowest gates of the season, while $hels, Bohs and Rovers are our biggest. So overall, attendance figures for the league as a whole are going to go down this season as well.

Harps will be a good game, but we will only get 100 or so going to that, Bray the second week are a dampener and won't attract te same interest as maybe SPA or Derry would have, then away to Longford, maybe 50 or 60 going to that, and then UCD.....:(

Thats one complete downer of a program to start the league off. All 6 Dublin team play each other, the rest of us outside the pale play each other. Is it possible to have a WORSE opening weekend that this? If they had any brain, which they quite obviuosly don't have, the first weekend should have seen 3 or 4 major games.
Harps will be the biggest gate of the wekend, Bohs v Rovers will probably be next, $hels after that, but can't see any other game attracting huge interest.
Bray v SPA anyone?...:rolleyes:

My choice for the first weekend would have been
Bohs v Rovers
$hels v Drogs
Cork v Derry
Harps v SPA
(or have the big Northeast Derby with Cork v SPA, and Harps v Derry)
Waterford v Longford
Bray v UCD

patsh
20/02/2005, 10:40 AM
Just looking at Bohs fixtures there:
Cork City,
$hels,
Rovers,
Derry
Harps
Longford all at home twice.
Thats complete boll*x that they have both Derry AND Harps at home twice.
Bohs "away" twice to SPA, Bray and UCD, Waterford and Drogs.
FFS, Bohs have 6 real away games all season....:mad:

Are they trying to ensure that Bohs win it this year?

This is a disgraceful set of fixtures........:mad:

Gary
20/02/2005, 10:50 AM
Bray the second week are a dampener and won't attract te same interest

Throw in the fact that that day is Good Friday, and you are looking at a super poor attendence.

UCD, Bray, Drogs are normally our lowest gates of the season

The 2nd home game is Vs UCD, and then Drogs.

colblimp
20/02/2005, 11:34 AM
Dolan said on BRB yesterday that the fixtures aren't even done by computer - it's all down to an individual

That is totally incredible in the year 2005. No computer? No wonder it isn't fair. How can the F** justify that? So unprofessional. Even non-league fixtures in England are done by computer!!

F***ing pathetic clowns.

De Town
20/02/2005, 11:35 AM
Bohs "away" twice to SPA, Bray and UCD, Waterford and Drogs.FFS, Bohs have 6 real away games all season....:mad:

They have 2 away games :eek: .....Waterford.

Bray and Drogheda are basically in Dublin ;)

**** Dublin Suberbs :D

adamcarr
20/02/2005, 12:13 PM
The 2nd home game is Vs UCD, and then Drogs.
We have Shels in the Setanta in between those games though!

pete
20/02/2005, 2:11 PM
This fixture thing is a joke.
Dolan said on BRB yesterday that the fixtures aren't even done by computer - it's all down to an individual (Michael Hayes or something). The same guy who had us all over the shop last season (how many weeks was it without a home game?).

You got to be sh!tting me? I was just going to put it down bad luck cos of crappy 3 series league but hearing this was CREATED with pen & paper is making me angry. If was 4 series of fixtures then men & paper man would be deciding when the games are played which would be bad enough but with just 3 he actually decides what games take place. How could anyone be allowed to decide that???????

Just going a google will give huge list of league management & fixture creating software!

:(

FourFiveOne display on match day 1 should be protest about how fixtures have come about!

bohs til i die
20/02/2005, 2:21 PM
Actually, all 3 are in Tolka I think.

bohs play rovers at home twice, both will be ind alymount, why would we move them to tolka?

clown.

bohs til i die
20/02/2005, 2:26 PM
Throw in the fact that that day is Good Friday, and you are looking at a super poor attendence.

what else is there to do on good friday?

bohs played rovers on good friday in the cup semi final in 2001 and the crowd was 8000.

thats the biggest bohs-rovers crowd in the past 12 seasons since the epic cup trilogy in february 1994 [11th anniversary today of the 2nd replay]

A face
20/02/2005, 2:38 PM
If anyone wants to work it out with this (http://www.ifgrounds.com/resources.html), we should get a better picture.

Lads, as Eanna said, we'll just have to do it the hard way. If the club canb appeal it or whatever then fair enough but if not ... then it is time to put up or shut up.

Away support will play a very big part this year and fans should consider that when then decide if they are going to games or not.

A face
20/02/2005, 2:45 PM
bohs play rovers at home twice, both will be ind alymount, why would we move them to tolka?

clown.

Wasn't that one of the conditions if Rovers played in Dalymount, that home games between the two are played in a neutral ground and Tolka was choosen for these games.

This was because the residents know about the scum element of both clubs.

Is this still the case ??

Longfordian
20/02/2005, 3:45 PM
Michael Hayes is the general manager of the Eircom League and he drew up the fixtures alright, to add to your annoyance, guess what club he came from originally..Waterford ;) .

bohs til i die
20/02/2005, 3:54 PM
Wasn't that one of the conditions if Rovers played in Dalymount, that home games between the two are played in a neutral ground and Tolka was choosen for these games.

This was because the residents know about the scum element of both clubs.

Is this still the case ??

it was NEVER the case.

rovers have talked about playing their home game[s] against us in tolka, but what possible reason is there for Bohs moving their home games?

thecorner
20/02/2005, 4:06 PM
delighted with the 2 trips to waterford. love that trip... be great to get another 1-4 win

Rebal Boy
20/02/2005, 4:24 PM
If anyone wants to work it out with this (http://www.ifgrounds.com/resources.html), we should get a better picture.

Lads, as Eanna said, we'll just have to do it the hard way. If the club canb appeal it or whatever then fair enough but if not ... then it is time to put up or shut up.

Away support will play a very big part this year and fans should consider that when then decide if they are going to games or not.

I went to 3 aways games last season and the City support was just brillent. I hope to go to alot more this season. I just have to find someone to go with. I will prob be able to sort that out. Ian's buses were a greatb laugh. Fair play to him.

Soko
20/02/2005, 4:24 PM
Those fixtures are a disgrace. We get 2 games at home with the likes of Bray and UCD but have to go to Bohs, Shels and Rovers twice?

A face
20/02/2005, 4:26 PM
it was NEVER the case.

rovers have talked about playing their home game[s] against us in tolka, but what possible reason is there for Bohs moving their home games?

Alright ... fair enough like :)

Thats what everyone was lead to believe here on the first thread about it.
Sure Tolka is only up the raod anyway so it would have been more or less a home game for ye, like alot of your other fixtures this season.
Sure you'll all be bookin' holidays at the end of the season as you'll barely see the outside of Dublin all season.

Slash/ED
20/02/2005, 5:11 PM
Are they trying to ensure that Bohs win it this year?

They'll need to do alot more than that to make that happen.

bohs til i die
20/02/2005, 5:32 PM
Alright ... fair enough like :)

Thats what everyone was lead to believe here on the first thread about it.
Sure Tolka is only up the raod anyway so it would have been more or less a home game for ye, like alot of your other fixtures this season.
Sure you'll all be bookin' holidays at the end of the season as you'll barely see the outside of Dublin all season.

Tolka Park is not our home, and never will be.

pete
20/02/2005, 5:55 PM
I think Good Friday is great day for game as nothing else open.

patsh
20/02/2005, 7:36 PM
They have 2 away games :eek: .....Waterford.

Bray and Drogheda are basically in Dublin ;)

**** Dublin Suberbs :D
They have 6:
Away to Waterford x 2
then City,
Derry,
Harps,
Longford once each.
The league is making sure they don't have to spend too much money, and given that they are in a slight bit of finacial trouble, this smacks of extreme favouritism......:mad:

De Town
20/02/2005, 7:54 PM
They have 6:
Away to Waterford x 2
then City,
Derry,
Harps,
Longford once each.
The league is making sure they don't have to spend too much money, and given that they are in a slight bit of finacial trouble, this smacks of extreme favouritism......:mad:

Sorry. Thought you meant out of SPA, Bray and UCD, Waterford and Drogs.

Comic Book Guy
20/02/2005, 8:15 PM
Lads and lassies, as a ramblers fan I agree that you have been royally shafted by the eL, whatever dweeb dreamt up these fixtures seems to have it in for us as well, we have to travel to Monaghan for a league fixture in midweek!!! Only in this country could it happen.

pete
21/02/2005, 9:38 PM

2 Away Games
1. shels
3. bohs
5. waterford
6. longford
9. rovers
11.Harps

2 Home Games
4. drogs
7. derry
8. pats
12. ucd
13. Bray

2001-2002

2 Home Games
shels
bohs
rovers
Harps
dundalk
monaghan

2 Away Games
derry
pats
ucd
Bray
longford
galway

Seems like straight swop afterall. Don't know how they decide the replacement teams. Stupid system nonetheless.

paudie
22/02/2005, 11:06 AM

2 Away Games
1. shels
3. bohs
5. waterford
6. longford
9. rovers
11.Harps

2 Home Games
4. drogs
7. derry
8. pats
12. ucd
13. Bray

2001-2002

2 Home Games
shels
bohs
rovers
Harps
dundalk
monaghan

2 Away Games
derry
pats
ucd
Bray
longford
galway

Seems like straight swop afterall. Don't know how they decide the replacement teams. Stupid system nonetheless.

At least there appears to have been some logic behind the fixture list. We can't complain if its a reverse of the last 33 game season.

Peadar
22/02/2005, 11:12 AM
City play 1 extra away game from the 33.

Bring Back Gunther! :D

razor
22/02/2005, 12:35 PM
To be honest I thought we played far better in our 2 away games to Shels last year than we did at home so maybe having them twice away is a blessing in disguise.