2 First Division
FRI Shelbourne 19:45 Athlone Town
FRI Wexford 20:00 Waterford
SAT Cobh Ramblers 19:15 Cabinteely
SAT Longford Town 19:30 UCD

Predictions for the games ahead folks?

patrickccfc
12/05/2017, 2:55 PM
Will be a difficult game for us tonight. The run has to end sometime, and galway have improved in recent week's.

Kingswood Rover
12/05/2017, 3:05 PM
Derby night in the capital, who will win, haven't a scooby do, it could 3 zip to us or them with the usual pavement dancing from the braindeads from each club. i see some of the more (or less) artistic elements of our friendly north side rivals were defacing some of our sacred spaces last night.

nigel-harps1954
12/05/2017, 3:25 PM
5-0 Harps tonight. Guaranteed.

outspoken
12/05/2017, 3:51 PM
Longford 6/0 UCD

Crosshead
12/05/2017, 3:55 PM
Will be a difficult game for us tonight. The run has to end sometime, and galway have improved in recent week's.

Agree with this, they say the table doesn't lie, but they're unbeaten in 5 and picked up 7 of their 10 points so far in that run.

Longfordian
12/05/2017, 4:51 PM
Athlone will beat Shels.

2-1 full time 1-1 at half time, Labuts any time.

Ezeikial
12/05/2017, 5:10 PM
Athlone will beat Shels.

2-1 full time 1-1 at half time, Labuts any time.

I have spoken to Roddy:

1-3 halftime 4-2 fulltime - get your house on it.

DannyInvincible
12/05/2017, 6:15 PM
Copa90 (https://www.youtube.com/user/Copa90football)'s 'Derby Days' mini-doc on Bohs-Rovers: http://pogmogoal.com/the-blog-reel/copa-90-derby-days-anarchy-in-ireland-bohemians-vs-shamrock-rovers/21511/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acRQXajXnJw

The always brilliant Derby Days by Copa90 cover Irelands’s own O’Classico when Bohemians hosted Shamrock Rovers in the Dublin derby.

The team behind some of the most fantastic mini documentaries on YouTube about football culture from around the world, uncover a 100 year old rivalry and finds an incredible local passion for the derby and football in general. Unexpectedly, this Bohemians vs Shamrock Rovers game would give host Eli Mengem one of his most memorable Derby Days moments.

Philosophizer
12/05/2017, 6:19 PM
Lots of people getting turned away at Dalyer at the moment. Apparently there are no tickets left.

I tried to buy some online this afternoon but the online sales had already finished. I got to the stadium for 7pm hoping that there would be some available. Given that it's raining in Dublin for the past hour I thought I had a decent chance but I guess not. In fairness it could be worse, I chatted to a couple of German lads outside who had flown over especially for the game but they had no tickets either. Talk about bad luck, how many LOI matches per year are sold out an hour before k.o. ??

Philosophizer
12/05/2017, 6:26 PM
I've strolled into the last few Dublin derbies in Dalyer and Tallaght mere minutes before KO and there was never an issue with tickets. Anyone got any ideas why there's a shortage of tickets tonight?

CraftyToePoke
12/05/2017, 6:30 PM
I bought one once advance from some shop when I was in Dublin one time and your man was clearly unaccustomed to selling advance. Genuine surprise on his face. Shams / Bohs too it was.

patrickccfc
12/05/2017, 7:38 PM
No goals at half time up in Galway. Listening to radio coverage, galway have been far the better side and have had a good few chances. Morrissey off injured a few minutes before half time replaced by keohane. Need to improve in the second half.

El-Pietro
12/05/2017, 8:33 PM
First timein a long time watching the betting stream 0 its very painful. I need to keep having plans on the nights I can't make away games cos I can't put up with this much more.
I think we've been poor enough tonight, at least I think its our blurs that have been poor. It does look like the streak is about to end, some start all the same!

Nesta99
12/05/2017, 8:43 PM
Is the chase on lol. 4-0 in Oriel and 2nd half were more like what we would have expected. A badly needed confidence boost for sure! Shamrock Rovers young guns coming good now or were Bohs lacking. 6 points from 2 again the champions and in the Dublin Derby would indicate that things are starting to come together at Tallaght. The wheels are coming off Corks title charge early in the 2nd round of games. Bottom of the table looking very different in a couple of weeks. Cork dropping a couple of points each game in this round on average prior to Seanie's departure will set the league run in up nicely :p Oh and Bray sticking to their task - Kenny doing a great job!

DannyInvincible
12/05/2017, 8:44 PM
Cork's winning streak is halted by Galway.

patrickccfc
12/05/2017, 8:47 PM
It had to end some time. Still a decent point away against a galway side that has picked up a few results lately. Definitely not disappointed with it

El-Pietro
12/05/2017, 8:47 PM
Is the chase on lol. 4-0 in Oriel and 2nd half were more like what we would have expected. A badly needed confidence boost for sure! Shamrock Rovers young guns coming good now or were Bohs lacking. 6 points from 2 again the champions and in the Dublin Derby would indicate that things are starting to come together at Tallaght. The wheels are coming off Corks title charge early in the 2nd round of games. Bottom of the table looking very different in a couple of weeks. Cork dropping a couple of points each game in this round on average prior to Seanie's departure will set the league run in up nicely :p Oh and Bray sticking to their task - Kenny doing a great job!

If we drop a couple of points on average every game this round we'd drop 22 points. I somehow think thats unlikely.
Fair play to Galway, looks like they were good value for their point.

Unbelievable start to the season for us all the same.

micls
12/05/2017, 8:53 PM
Galway were well worth the point tonight, and the better team overall. Winning run was fun while it lasted, unbeaten run to keep going!

wonder88
12/05/2017, 9:53 PM
I wouldn't say that Galway were the better team, but they were a bit more creative when they had the opportunity to go forward(I know the equaliser came from a set play) than Cork. Also I think the 3 at the back plus wing backs formation that Keegan used tonight worked well. Didn't notice any tactical response from Caulfield. Lee Grace really shines in that formation(well he plays well always it seems) and interesting that his centre half partner from Wexford was also on the field. The one who got the move to England is bigger, but is he a better player? Opinion of Wexford fans welcomed.

oriel
12/05/2017, 10:30 PM
Dundalk were very good in the second half tonight after a fairly sluggish first half. Benson, McGrath and Duffy were the best performers, and hopefully Gannon should be back next week to add to the options.

I think he'll go straight back into RF in place of Vemmelund, then hopefully Gartland will be close to returning, and O'Donnell should be back to start next week away to Limerick after coming on as a sub, so the injury list is slowly improving at last.

Its probably all too late for a league challenge, but we should be in much stronger state by the end of the month, will see how we go from there. Need to back it up with consistent results first though.

Patrick Hoban was an interested spectator tonight.

Kingswood Rover
12/05/2017, 10:34 PM
Solid performance from Rovers tonight. Our defense is now starting to get some confidence. I was impressed by our players timing in the tackle and their decision making of when to tackle. The team seem to be bonding well, great support from both sets of fans and their overseas visitors.

nigel-harps1954
12/05/2017, 10:37 PM
I really hate football.

Nesta99
12/05/2017, 10:42 PM
If we drop a couple of points on average every game this round we'd drop 22 points. I somehow think thats unlikely.
Fair play to Galway, looks like they were good value for their point.

Unbelievable start to the season for us all the same.

Hope springs eternal etc.

jinxy lilywhite
12/05/2017, 10:52 PM
Robbie Benson back is like a new signing.
Tough 1st half and the dundalk we know we're out in the 2nd. If we can maintain that intensity and from the start we may be able to get on a run.
Limerick next. Tough one.

Tbh there is nothing we can do about cork until we face them. Hopefully the galway result plants a seed of doubt in their mind. Hopefully they'll regret ordering the victory bus

ger121
12/05/2017, 11:02 PM
I really hate football.

I too also hate this ball with the foot game.

WoodquayBoy
12/05/2017, 11:36 PM
Au contraire, I was quite in love with it tonight. A cracking game of football in Galway, we are much the better side in first 45 minutes, struggled to get going in second half but was crucial we hit back within 2 or 3 minutes of conceding. Fully deserved the point. That McCormack lad is a serious bit of business, himself and McNulty kept City in it in the first half, was between them and Stephen Folan for top performance. Won't matter a sh!te though if we don't beat Harps at home next Friday

Charlie Darwin
13/05/2017, 12:37 AM
I've strolled into the last few Dublin derbies in Dalyer and Tallaght mere minutes before KO and there was never an issue with tickets. Anyone got any ideas why there's a shortage of tickets tonight?
They were all bought by people.

OK performance by Rovers. Probably should have got a couple more after going 2-0 up but Bradley's teams always seem happy to close out a lead. Second clean sheet of the season is overdue. **** Bohs :D

ToberonaTornado
13/05/2017, 1:52 AM
Jamie McGrath will take all the plaudits following his hat trick at op tonight but the real star of show was Robbie Benson.
McGrath was excellent but Benson's return was the real vital factor as Dundalk finally found some gearss in a second half performance that blew the bit o red away.
Both sides were poor first half and neither really landed a blow but Dundalk sparked into life early in the second and it was one way traffic from then with Sligo looking pish poor.
Dundalk had several 1st team regs on the bench back from injuries.
Great performances from McGrath and Benson, vemmuland was solid and chipped in with another goal.seems like we're going the right way and players coming back.

Lyttle at Sligo has a job ahead of him
Not saying that for attention but yee were poor tonight.very, Very poor

JC_GUFC
13/05/2017, 1:53 AM
The bottom of the table seems to get tighter and tighter each week...

Galway v Harps and Pat's v Sligo next weekend, while Bohs are away at Bray and Drogheda are in Cork.

If Galway win, we'd most likely move up to 7th if Pat's v Sligo is a draw. Harps would jump to the same points too (just worse GD so only 8th).

Tonight Pat's jumped from bottom to 8th, it looks like it will change every game week and it will be a different club in crisis, with Bohs now replacing Pat's as the club going down!

Nesta99
13/05/2017, 3:12 AM
Au contraire, I was quite in love with it tonight. A cracking game of football in Galway, we are much the better side in first 45 minutes, struggled to get going in second half but was crucial we hit back within 2 or 3 minutes of conceding. Fully deserved the point. That McCormack lad is a serious bit of business, himself and McNulty kept City in it in the first half, was between them and Stephen Folan for top performance. Won't matter a sh!te though if we don't beat Harps at home next Friday

Aye and he is a local lad from just outside Dundalk.

Nesta99
13/05/2017, 3:22 AM
The bottom of the table seems to get tighter and tighter each week...

Galway v Harps and Pat's v Sligo next weekend, while Bohs are away at Bray and Drogheda are in Cork.

If Galway win, we'd most likely move up to 7th if Pat's v Sligo is a draw. Harps would jump to the same points too (just worse GD so only 8th).

Tonight Pat's jumped from bottom to 8th, it looks like it will change every game week and it will be a different club in crisis, with Bohs now replacing Pat's as the club going down!

The irony being that everyone is scrapping for something (bar Cork's incredible start). There isnt a side that isnt in the hunt for Europe or trying stay out of the bottom 3 just as the league format is going to change. Maybe there has been a stumble across a league format that fits the bill of keeping everyones attention. Dont reduce the league but just have 3 up or down lol. 2 automatic relegation and a fair playoff with 3rd in the 1st. By fair I mean playoff thats not weighted in favour of the premier side maybe a neutral venue one game affair if not over 2 legs.

eelmonster
13/05/2017, 4:01 AM
Choke City have their first wobble and Pen-Maguire fails to get a late goal despite the ref playing 15 mins of injury time. The league is ours.

Dalymountrower
13/05/2017, 6:26 AM
Rovers up for it last night,2 good goals .Bohs were awful.Just like 5 other clubs....relegation material.

JC_GUFC
13/05/2017, 9:06 AM
Maybe there has been a stumble across a league format that fits the bill of keeping everyones attention. Dont reduce the league but just have 3 up or down lol. 2 automatic relegation and a fair playoff with 3rd in the 1st. By fair I mean playoff thats not weighted in favour of the premier side maybe a neutral venue one game affair if not over 2 legs.

Next season's format hasn't been announced but I'm pretty sure it's going to be something of a closed shop - or as much they can get away with. If it's anything more than 1 down and 1 playoff I'd be very surprised.

I think the fact that things are so tight is probably a good reflection on the overall standard. Usually there would be 1 or 2 teams who'd be completed tailed off but there is no team who is clearly the worst. Even in Division 1 the average standard has risen, Waterford aren't walking the league as expected and even struggled against Wexford last night.

AlanOB
13/05/2017, 3:51 PM
Live audio analysis of this evening's Limerick/Derry game, for those who might be interested, at www.mixlr.com/limerick-soccer-live.

Noel O'Connor will be my second for this one.

DannyInvincible
13/05/2017, 5:03 PM
Live audio analysis of this evening's Limerick/Derry game, for those who might be interested, at www.mixlr.com/limerick-junior-soccer (http://www.mixlr.com/limerick-junior-soccer).

Noel O'Connor will be my second for this one.

That link doesn't appear to be working.

Radio Foyle will have live commentary here anyway: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_foyle

AlanOB
13/05/2017, 5:12 PM
www.mixlr.com/limerick-soccer-live is the link!

Cheers for the heads up.

SeanDrog
13/05/2017, 5:19 PM
Ok Eurovision will be on our TV tonight so I will be checking the UCD Longford game updates quite a lot :) so what are the predictions- for me UCD are always tough at home so I'd back them - thoughts?

Longfordian
13/05/2017, 5:36 PM
The game is in Longford. I'd still back UCD however.

SeanDrog
13/05/2017, 6:00 PM
The game is in Longford. I'd still back UCD however.

Red faced lol

Hmm 😒 I'm really not sure how I'd call it now

CraftyToePoke
13/05/2017, 7:15 PM
www.mixlr.com/limerick-soccer-live is the link!

Cheers for the heads up.

Couldn't get this to stay on this evening, kept cutting out after a putting up with a long buffer (minutes) each time I re loaded it. Gave up in the end, turned on live score. Frustrating. Any other similar features off other sites I am using this evening aren't giving this trouble.

NeverFeltBetter
13/05/2017, 7:37 PM
Sounded like another real bad night half-rescued late on. New manager has some work to do, whoever they are. Still in the top-half mind.

I missed parts of the commentary tonight Alan (not technical problems, just away from the laptop intermittently), who was doing it with you? Seemed a mite *****ly at times, like when you suggested someone was calling for a card!

osarusan
13/05/2017, 8:34 PM
Derry sat deep and didn't commit too much to attack. Happy to gradually press us back rather than play through us. We were completely ineffective at breaking them down. The whole thing was played at a snail's pace - it was like a friendly where the main thing was to avoid any injuries.

pineapple stu
13/05/2017, 8:43 PM
Longford 6/0 UCD
Ah hahaha...

Yerrah, too easy.

AlanOB
13/05/2017, 8:48 PM
I missed parts of the commentary tonight Alan (not technical problems, just away from the laptop intermittently), who was doing it with you? Seemed a mite *****ly at times, like when you suggested someone was calling for a card!

That was Noel O'Connor, my usual second!

I wouldn't say he's *****ly at all. Just fortright in his views, much like myself!

Noel disagrees with me regularly, and without sugarcoating, and that's part of what a lot people enjoy about the broadcasts. It's two people who love football having a robust exchange of views.

Hope you enjoyed it, and thanks for tuning in. Glad you had no technical problems -- CraftyToePoke, I've spoken to many of my usual listeners and no-one else reported an issue unfortunately. Sorry you had issues getting a reliable stream again.

Thanks to everyone who tuned in, in fact.

Nesta99
13/05/2017, 9:21 PM
Red faced lol

Hmm  I'm really not sure how I'd call it now

What? over admitting that you will be watching the Eurovision, getting the match venue wrong or both? I wouldnt know how to call Eurvision either...;p

wonder88
13/05/2017, 9:51 PM
Took a spin down to Limerick to watch the game, big difference in pace/intensity from last night's Galway/Cork game. Derry will be disappointed to draw as they played the better soccer, despite sitting back. I think the heavy downpour of rain contributed to the late late equaliser.

SeanDrog
14/05/2017, 11:51 AM
What? over admitting that you will be watching the Eurovision, getting the match venue wrong or both? I wouldnt know how to call Eurvision either...;p

lol probably both

AlanOB
14/05/2017, 9:53 PM
In-depth analysis of Limerick/Derry contained within: Limerick 1-1 Derry City: Shiels’ Bielsa impression a qualified success at best (https://tacticstruck2.com/2017/05/14/limerick-1-1-derry-city-shiels-bielsa-impression-a-qualified-success-at-best/)