PDA

View Full Version : FAI Cup final to return to Lansdowne

Xlex
19/02/2005, 10:08 AM
The FAI Cup final will return to its traditional venue of Lansdowne Road at the end of the season this year on Sunday, December 4.

The decision was made by the FAI after consultation with clubs.

A source said: “It was always the grand finale of the season and it’s good to have it back at the end of the season. The clubs were also keen on the move because it heightened expectation and boosts attendances for the competing clubs towards the end of the season.”

The eircom League season ends on the November 20, but because of Ireland’s rugby international against Romania taking place at Lansdowne Road the following weekend, the Cup final will take place two weeks after the final League game on December 4.

more @ www.breakingnews.ie (http://www.breakingnews.ie/)

Xlex
19/02/2005, 10:11 AM
Good move. Always nice to play the Final in Landsdowne.

Not too sure of the December date, should have ignored the 'tradition' of the end of season and kept the October bank holiday weekend.

Slash/ED
19/02/2005, 4:37 PM
Christ, a good decision by the FAI :eek:

It needs to be the end of the season, with the whole season building up to it. They're rght that it will help attendences and you wont have the problem of attendences dropping after the final espically for the loseing team. IIRC that was a big problem for Pats a couple of seasons back. Also being at the end of the season just adds to the sense of occasion, I'm delighted. The only thing is a two week gap may be a bit much but other than that, good decision imo, it beats the mid season final. Maybe they should play the semis after the league season ends to make the gap seem smaller and keep the teams fitter?

dcfcsteve
19/02/2005, 5:01 PM
A sensible decision indeed ! Makes sense to have it as the climax of the season.

My only concern is that the weather isn't great in December (cold, if not likely to be wet as well) which has the potential to take a good few hundred curious/neutrals off the crowd, but then I guess it wouldn't be that much warmer/drier 2 weeks earlier anyway !

Let's hope 2 well-supported teams get there this year and make it a cracker !

Maz
19/02/2005, 5:23 PM
Let's hope 2 well-supported teams get there this year and make it a cracker !

We'll make it a hattrick this year and sure some other well supported team can just turn up on the day! :p

pete
19/02/2005, 7:40 PM
I have mixed feelings about moving game all the way into December 4.

IMO they should have looked at staging on the October Bank Holiday Monday as not many events on that day.

Gary
20/02/2005, 11:13 AM
I would have thought a Saturday would have been a better choice, but however, its good to see it away from the October long wknd, as last year was a disaster with the Intl rules and ManYoo and Arse.

NY Hoop
21/02/2005, 12:22 PM
They are right to have it at the end of the season but wrong to switch it from the october bank holiday weekend. Look at the weather today. Can you imagine going to a Cup Final in that?! The pitch will be in sh1t especially after a rugby game.

The solution is to start the league the first weekend in march and finish it the second last weekend in october. Have already emailed them about this and guess what? No response!

Why? Because it makes sense..............

KOH

paudie
21/02/2005, 1:09 PM
They are right to have it at the end of the season but wrong to switch it from the october bank holiday weekend. Look at the weather today. Can you imagine going to a Cup Final in that?! The pitch will be in sh1t especially after a rugby game.

The solution is to start the league the first weekend in march and finish it the second last weekend in october. Have already emailed them about this and guess what? No response!

Why? Because it makes sense..............

KOH

Spot on. Cup final should be on October bank holiday Saturday or sunday night IMO and still be the last game of the season.

Weather and pitch likely to be worse in December.

Macy
21/02/2005, 1:39 PM
I'll third that. Bank holiday weekend perfect timing for the cup final. Summer football my arse finishing in December....

pete
21/02/2005, 8:25 PM

One of things i miss about the former League Comissioner is that he'd ask fans for their opinions. I remember Roy Dooney originally asking when people thought the FAI Cup Final should have been played during the 1st short summer season...

I can't claim i was the only one but i remember telling him not to have in September cos of possible All-Ireland final replays & that Bank Holiday weekend but good option.

NY Hoop
22/02/2005, 12:21 PM
Spot on. Dooney used to reply to emails. The present shower just ignore them :mad:

What do we know? We're only the fans after all............

KOH