PDA

View Full Version : New Music

Gareth
18/02/2005, 10:04 AM
Ok I have bought the following new albums. Interested to hear the thoughts of ye music people on them:

Real Gone - Tom Waits
Waves - The Devlins
I'm Wide Awake It's Morning - Bright Eyes
All is Violent, All is Bright - God is an Astronaut
Fire - Electric 6
Feeder - Pushing the Senses

I'll be buying the Doves new one today!

Kingdom
18/02/2005, 10:23 AM
The only one I'd take an interest is the Electric 6 album. They are very good, but they take the **** so much its hard to know how good they really are!
If I was to recommend an album it would have to be Kasabian. I'm going mental over this band. all the singles are class, and its hard to pick a favourite they're all so good.

Gareth
18/02/2005, 10:54 AM
Funny I think so far the Electric Six album is disappointing. As for Kasabian, I've had it ages, not too plussed about it. I will give it another listen but its too much like other bands but a poorer version of them. I will listen again tonight Kingdom and maybe change my mind.

Bloc Party is out today!!

tetsujin1979
18/02/2005, 10:57 AM
Ok I have bought the following new albums. Interested to hear the thoughts of ye music people on them:

Real Gone - Tom Waits
Waves - The Devlins
Fire - Electric 6

I'll be buying the Doves new one today!

Picked up the devlins album by accident, and quite liked it. Never really listened to them before, but a friend of mine is really into them and recommended it. Was in Golden Discs one day and it was reduced

3 albums I keep meaning to pick up:

Kasabian - Kasabian
Velvet Revolver - Contraband
The Music - Welcome To The North

Gareth
18/02/2005, 11:18 AM
I got the Devlins album Waiting back when it came out and I was in College and somehow I just really liked it. Then they released Crossing the River for the Batman soundtrack. The album consent is an album I'd put on studying or sleeping. The new one is a nice gentle more of the same album.

Velvet Revolver - I haven't heard one song from them. Is the supergroup good? :) And the music I haven;t heard either. I remember when I was on top of listening to all the new fandangled music bands!! :)

tiktok
18/02/2005, 11:56 AM

Got it at the weekend, it's excellent
Got Bloc Party in the post this morning, I've only had a sneaky listen on the way into work in the car but it sounds great.
KT Tunstall's and Nick Kelly's new albums are very good too as are the following (relatively new, last few months):

Interpol
The Libertines
Kanye west
Rilo Kily
The Shins
The Killers
Mark Geary

Gareth
18/02/2005, 12:02 PM
Interpol
The Libertines
Kanye west
Rilo Kily
The Shins
The Killers
Mark Geary

I want that Interpol album. I really liked The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow and The Killers. Mark Gearys Ghosts is great. Really good second album. Lovely guy. Didn't bother getting the second Libs album. Is it worth it?

I have The Doves special edition box here now and Bloc Party. Sneak listen now and I'll get back to you :)

tiktok
18/02/2005, 12:07 PM
Didn't bother getting the second Libs album. Is it worth it?

If you liked the first, yeah.

three/four cracking tracks, but in the end it's the same glorious mess as the first, not great singers, musicians or even lyricists IMO, but there's somthing there that's larger than the sum of the parts.

Doves report asap, heading to get it at four! :)

GavinZac
18/02/2005, 12:13 PM
argh :(

i havent heard of any of these bands

EDIT: apart from electric six, who i wouldnt have taken seriously.

Roo69
18/02/2005, 12:27 PM
Picked up the devlins album by accident, and quite liked it. Never really listened to them before, but a friend of mine is really into them and recommended it. Was in Golden Discs one day and it was reduced

3 albums I keep meaning to pick up:

Kasabian - Kasabian
Velvet Revolver - Contraband
The Music - Welcome To The North

The Music - Welcome to the North - is my fav album at the moment, absolutey brilliant stuff, bit heavier than the likes of Kasibean, bit of a Zepplin sound to them. Rock on !

Kingdom
18/02/2005, 12:43 PM
I got the Music' first album and thought it was an incredible sound for a group so young, liked their new/most recent single but haven't the dosh to buy the album , or the technology to download cheaply I might add too.

tetsujin1979
18/02/2005, 1:43 PM
I got the Music' first album and thought it was an incredible sound for a group so young, liked their new/most recent single but haven't the dosh to buy the album , or the technology to download cheaply I might add too.

Picked it up at lunch, along with Kasabian, well impressed so far. I downloaded WinAmp to listen to it (I wouldn't p!ss on Media Player if it was on fire) and got a free track from Silvertide called California Tide. Not bad, not bad at all. Anyone ever hear of them before - worth picking up, etc?

James
18/02/2005, 1:57 PM
. Mark Gearys Ghosts is great. Really good second album. Lovely guy.

its his 3rd album actually :)
1st one still me fav

Gareth
18/02/2005, 2:07 PM
33 1/3 Grand Street and Ghosts?

He released 33 1/3 for the US too. And had an EP. No third album proper thou

Roo69
18/02/2005, 2:27 PM
Other bands to check ou are The Kiaser Cheifs and The Go Team

James
18/02/2005, 2:31 PM
33 1/3 Grand Street and Ghosts?

He released 33 1/3 for the US too. And had an EP. No third album proper thou

wrong

1st album Mark Geary (self titled apparently because he cudnt afford a title :))
2nd 33 1/3 (2 versions released)
3rd Ghosts

Ep's he's released Volunteer & America Revisited (both with 5 tracks and 4 tracks and a video respectively)

radio promo singles
Suzanne
Gingerman
Only girl for me

Gareth
18/02/2005, 2:37 PM
Nothing on his site re this album. Not in any store I ever been in. Its not a very mainstream release.

James
18/02/2005, 3:06 PM
doesnt mean it never happened thou :)
story goes he was signed to paradigm (sp) in the US and the day of the album release the record company went backrupt, so all his albums that were printed were left somewhere in a warehouse. record company owned rights not mark so he cudnt get it reprinted reissued and re-released himself. Was out in 99 afaik. Is available if you look around small record shops in NY.
Most of the songs though with the exception of Sombrero, Watertight, by the time & you're not my friend made it onto 33 1/3 & Ghosts.
ie volunteer, america, adam n eve

it does on the other hand mean that mark has more or less been playing the same set for the last 7 or 8 years at least

More of the same tonight btw in the Comedy Club on Coburg Street in Cork.
Support Ian Whittey. Kick off around 9. mark on at 10.30pm

Gareth
18/02/2005, 3:16 PM
Ok well in that case, he has three albums :D

Seen him live loads. Plays the set very well : )

Thomo
18/02/2005, 8:20 PM
Real Gone - Tom Waits
Waves - The Devlins
Fire - Electric 6

love electric 6 its just so funny.

bright eyes have been meaning to pick up his album for ages. any good?

anyone ever heard of a guy called willy mason? hes got this whole folk based thing going on, reminds me of bob dylan alittle, really good tho. got a song called oxygen coming out soon, check it out if u havent already.

Gareth
18/02/2005, 9:40 PM
How bizarre, my mate just asked me about Mason. Yeah I must give him a listen so. I just listened to the Bloc Party album. Its not bad. 13 tracks, one or two you could pass on but overall not bad. Its not an instant album, but thats good. Mature on me no doubt. Three songs in off the Doves. I am liking it.

M@ttitude
21/02/2005, 1:41 AM
You can download three boc party songs off their site, google search.. I personally think those three songs sound like a cheap demo, maybe they will grow on me, Declan O'Rourkes new album is very good, Kasabian are deadly, The Killers, get Snow Patrols album if you haven't got it, I just got it, excellant.. Im listening to Cider Horizon by The Shades at the mo, kul song, think they're form cork are they?

James
21/02/2005, 6:58 AM
Im listening to Cider Horizon by The Shades at the mo, kul song, think they're form cork are they?

yeah the shades are from cork, excellent excellent band
album is really good, and if you like what you hear wait till you see them live, the play with upto 12 musicians on stage. Guitars, keyboards, drums, a string section :) and a guy on decks.. its deadly

Gareth
18/03/2005, 10:07 AM
Finally got Interpol Antics the other day. I have only listened to it once. It does seem better to me than the first album. The Kaiser Chiefs album is sitting on my desk at home with The Futureheads new one waiting for me to give them a listen. Looking forward to hearing both of them.

Declan O'Rourke , Bright Eyes and Tom McRae are getting alot of playtime by me at the moment. Because I was away for the last three weeks I have a backlog of new albums to listen to. I will mp3 them and stick them on all weekend and come back with an opinion!! :)

Lionel Ritchie
21/03/2005, 10:45 AM
Got a listen to the Bloc Party LP yesterday. some very good songs on it but some very ordinary stuff as well. Rating it out of 10 -I'd say 6 maybe 6 and a half.

Scarily -I bought NME the other day for the first time in about 7 years and it's still a tragic read. You still get the impression it's written entirely by 20 year olds just out of college and on minimum wage -all trying to make a name for themselves by being snipey and snide.

Most records made today and by a certain ilk of band (androgenous skinny pale white lads) are good and all things made yesterday are bad unless they were made in 1982 in which case they're okay coz they've spawned the fcuking Bravery. :rolleyes:

razor
24/03/2005, 8:25 AM
coz they've spawned the fcuking Bravery. :rolleyes:Bought The Bravery the other day and was pleasantly surprised, some excellent tracks.

onenilgameover
07/04/2005, 11:20 PM
I really liked The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow :)

The Shins first album Oh Inverted World.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005JSHW/qid=1112915900/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-7478778-9821717

and their second and most recent

Chutes too Narrow

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009LVXT/qid=1112915900/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/102-7478778-9821717

are both top notch stuff the best I've heard for some time.

tetsujin1979
08/04/2005, 9:01 AM
The Shins first album Oh Inverted World.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005JSHW/qid=1112915900/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-7478778-9821717

and their second and most recent

Chutes too Narrow

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009LVXT/qid=1112915900/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/102-7478778-9821717

are both top notch stuff the best I've heard for some time.

I saw Garden State recently (top notch flick BTW), they have 2 songs on the soundtrack - Caring Is Creepy and New Slang. Both class tunes, and work really well in the movie. Natalie Portman makes Zach Braff listen to the first one in a doctor's waiting room. Mind you she could offer me 100 mile an hour satanic death metal and I'd still listen to it for her ;)