PDA

View Full Version : Doves

Roo69
18/02/2005, 9:05 AM
Anyone else buying the new album today ? Getting great reviews.

Kingdom
18/02/2005, 10:11 AM
The single they released "Black&White town" is unreal. The first time I heard it I knew straight away it was Doves.
I can;t believe that there was people out there questioning whether or not they'd be able for it next time round. Hopefully the new album will prove the doubters wrong.

Gareth
18/02/2005, 10:47 AM
Yup, I will be getting it today at lunch. I am buying WAY too many cds. Got tickets to the gig too. Anyone else going?

Roo69
18/02/2005, 10:53 AM
Yup, I will be getting it today at lunch. I am buying WAY too many cds. Got tickets to the gig too. Anyone else going?

Yep got my tickets months ago, can't wait. The last time they played they were absolutey excellent.

Black and White town is a smashing tune alright, does anyone know where the video was shot ?

Gareth
18/02/2005, 10:57 AM
Can you believe due to the fact I dont listen to radio and I haven't seen any digital music channels and been so busy, the only new music I have been hearing is from albums. Reviews say its good, my mate dislikes the doves and kinda likes it so bodes well!!!

the 12 th man
18/02/2005, 10:58 AM

where and when is the gig ? :)

Gareth
18/02/2005, 10:59 AM
Monday the 28th Feb in the Oylmpia I believe

Kingdom
18/02/2005, 11:20 AM
Yep got my tickets months ago, can't wait. The last time they played they were absolutey excellent.

Black and White town is a smashing tune alright, does anyone know where the video was shot ?

As far the video goes it could be anywhere. They are a Manc band but one of the kids has an Arsenal jersey on. Saying that the place looks pretty fcukin depressing so it could be Glasgow. This has more to do with one of the kids wearing an away Rangers shirt.

WeAreRovers
18/02/2005, 11:25 AM
Got it first thing this morning and it's great. Can't wait for the gig. I'm waaay too excited about Doves for a man of my age - it's unseemly. :D

KOH

Roo69
18/02/2005, 11:28 AM
As far the video goes it could be anywhere. They are a Manc band but one of the kids has an Arsenal jersey on. Saying that the place looks pretty fcukin depressing so it could be Glasgow. This has more to do with one of the kids wearing an away Rangers shirt.

Yeah we said Glasgow as well. Dumpsville :D

Did anyone manage to get the wristbands in HMV this morning for the signing on the 28th before the gig ? Missed out myself :mad:

Kingdom
18/02/2005, 11:31 AM
What odds on Doves being part of Oxegen this year?
Usually Oxegen/Witness are twinned with the Leeds/Reading/Carling festival so if a band is playing over there on the Sat then chances are they are playing here on the Sunday.

Can't believe James Brown is playing Oxegen. Shocking.

Gareth
18/02/2005, 11:52 AM
Oxegen is more twinned with T in the Park in Beulogow blahblah place in scotland :) Doves I think will play! I hope.

Roo69
18/02/2005, 1:29 PM
So, did we buy it over lunch ? Got it my self and bloody love a few of the tracks off it already. Can't wait to give it a proper listen on the way hom. Hope traffic is brutal :D

Gareth
18/02/2005, 1:31 PM
I did Indeed. The Box set with DVD. I listened to the first track of Bloc Party. At 7 when the offie is empty I'll blast it out around the room!! :) I am happy. :) I did however buy 12 cds this week.

Pauro 76
19/02/2005, 4:41 PM

Single of the year alright, cant beleive it only went to number 6 in the UK charts, would have been a well deserved No.1, guessing the video was shot in Glasgow as well with the neds in that video ....

pete
25/02/2005, 12:53 PM
I thought a poor enough album. Given it a few plays but hasn't hooked me. Aside from Black&White town nothing else standing out.

Fr. Murphy
26/02/2005, 8:02 PM
See a lot of similarities with the last broadcast. Good article about them in the guardian on Friday. Am heading to gig on Monday myself, should be alright haven't seen them live yet.

Roo69
01/03/2005, 11:01 AM
See a lot of similarities with the last broadcast. Good article about them in the guardian on Friday. Am heading to gig on Monday myself, should be alright haven't seen them live yet.

Anyone go to the gig last night ? They were fcuking excellent ! absolutey superb. Still on a high form it and me ears are still buzzing, one of the best gig's ive ever been to. They were even better than last time i saw them in the olympia, only dissapointment was that they did'nt finish with Space Face (from when they were known as sub sub)

joey B
01/03/2005, 11:06 AM
Think they are pretty average to be honest in what is at the minute a thriving music genre I can think of about ten bands better than them.

Roo69
01/03/2005, 11:16 AM
Think they are pretty average to be honest in what is at the minute a thriving music genre I can think of about ten bands better than them.

Do you have all 3 albums ? the way they evolved with a TOTALLY different sound from when they were sub sub is mind blowing. I cant think of any other bands that can swap instruments half way though a gig !

What Bands would they be as a matter of interest ?

joey B
01/03/2005, 11:26 AM
Franz Ferdinad
The Killers
The Libertines
Snow Patrol
Razorlight
The Thrills
The Frames
Kaizer Chiefs
The Bravery
Oasis
Keane
Ash

Macy
01/03/2005, 11:31 AM
The Thrills

Well that leaves your arguement dead in the water.

joey B
01/03/2005, 11:33 AM
Ok well maybe not the thrills but there are still eleven others.

Roo69
01/03/2005, 11:48 AM
Franz Ferdinad - Yes
The Killers - No, 1 Album at present so to early to say
The Libertines - No longer a band
Snow Patrol - Excellent, so yes
Razorlight - Same as the killers, to early to say
The Thrills - your having a laugh right ?
The Frames - See the Thrills
Kaizer Chiefs - on there way to greatness
The Bravery - no
Oasis - See the Thrills/The Frames
Keane - Excellent, but will always sound the same.
Ash - good, but not as good as Doves imo

GavinZac
01/03/2005, 11:53 AM
Well that leaves your arguement dead in the water.

yes, when everybody else likes the band, its time to start disliking them to be 'alternative' again.

Macy
01/03/2005, 11:55 AM
yes, when everybody else likes the band, its time to start disliking them to be 'alternative' again.
Or they were always crap?

joey B
01/03/2005, 11:55 AM
The libertines are still a band but just with a member gone.
And oasis have sold more records than the doves ever will.

Roo69
01/03/2005, 12:03 PM

Sorry thats what i meant, the junkie made them a great band, average without him now.

Oasis should have been called "3 Chords" Only 1 really good album, the rest were below average, i actually like Oasis but they are extremely limited

WeAreRovers
01/03/2005, 12:07 PM
Franz Ferdinad
The Killers
The Libertines
Snow Patrol
Razorlight
The Thrills
The Frames
Kaizer Chiefs
The Bravery
Oasis
Keane
Ash

Oh dear, oh dear. I'm not even going to go through that list but there's not one band on there worthy of tying Doves shoelaces. For example Kaiser Chiefs are appalling beyond belief.

Great gig last night BTW.

KOH

joey B
01/03/2005, 12:21 PM
Are you serious Franz Ferdinand are head and shoulders above the Doves.
The Killers are going to be huge,much better than the Doves.
The Doves have one decent song the rest is glaringly average.

WeAreRovers
01/03/2005, 12:44 PM
Are you serious Franz Ferdinand are head and shoulders above the Doves.
The Killers are going to be huge,much better than the Doves.
The Doves have one decent song the rest is glaringly average.

Joey I just checked your profile and you're nearly 20 years younger than me. :eek: So I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye. Franz Ferdinand are just a very average Gang of Four/Talking Heads rip off and The Killers are a slightly above average Cure tribute band. Then again I was obsessed with the Cure, New Order, the Bunnymen etc when I was your age so each to their own I suppose.

KOH

joey B
01/03/2005, 12:46 PM
Fair anuf old man :D

Gareth
01/03/2005, 5:13 PM
Yeah I was at the gig as well. It was excellent alright. Openiong with Pounding set the tone of the evening and 6 or 7 songs later there was no let up. Then the lull slightly set in for 2 or 3 songs, before the encore which was great and left you feeling it was well worth the visit!! Great band, not everyones cup of tea, but better live. I like all their albums. To enter into the above conversation,

I consider them to be a different kind of band to The Killers et al. I would not even go NEVER comparing them to The Thrills. The Bravery are not growing on me so far. Maybe they will. Keane, as stated I think they are dull as dull can be. I think the Doves stand out as different to the above, and are great at what they what to do. Of top bands around at the moment, I'd have Muse up in the top three :)

ken foree
01/03/2005, 6:23 PM
Franz Ferdinand are just a very average Gang of Four/Talking Heads rip off

hear hear

Macy
02/03/2005, 4:23 PM
Oasis should have been called "3 Chords" Only 1 really good album, the rest were below average, i actually like Oasis but they are extremely limited
Definitely Maybe is an excellent album, one of my favourites. However, down hill from there. Got the Definitely Maybe DVD for Christmas - worth a buy if you're a fan of that era Oasis (Which I remain today - christ the b-sides were better than the rubbish they're putting out these days).

GavinZac
02/03/2005, 8:16 PM

your signature: you do realise america has land borders right?

joey B
03/03/2005, 10:08 AM
YUP. Mexico And Canada.

Roo69
20/10/2005, 2:45 PM
Doves are playing the Olympia Theatre 21/12/05 for anyone interested. Tickets booked and on there way :D

Dublin12
20/10/2005, 3:15 PM
Doves are playing the Olympia Theatre 21/12/05 for anyone interested. Tickets booked and on there way :D

Lovely,I'll have some of that alright.

Aldini98
21/10/2005, 10:57 AM
Defo going, last gig was deadly.