PDA

View Full Version : SOCCER REPUBLIC 11pm!!

Pages : [1] 2

LFC Blue
20/04/2017, 11:46 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed here before but is there any hope RTÉ may reconsider the scheduling of this excellent highlights program to a prime time slot. Some way to promote the league to kids having the highlights program on in the middle of the night.

jinxy lilywhite
20/04/2017, 11:50 PM
And also a Monday night is rubbish nearly 100 hours afterwards.

Jofspring
21/04/2017, 7:56 AM
Swap it with that muck Apres match of the day.

Mr A
21/04/2017, 9:28 AM
Was with you up to 'excellent'.

sbgawa
21/04/2017, 12:22 PM
Friday night at midnight ....perfect just coming in from the post match pints. Kids can watch Saturday morning ��

LFC Blue
21/04/2017, 12:59 PM
Was with you up to 'excellent'.

It's not bad in fairness. Definitely an improvement on previous incarnations.

Mr A
21/04/2017, 1:04 PM
True. It's just the lightweight analysis that does my head in. There's a few clubs the pundits know about, and outside of that they tend to rely on clichés as analysis. So many of the pundits lack any real depth of knowledge about the teams in the league, never mind knowing the challenges facing clubs.

oriel
21/04/2017, 1:07 PM
I record it most weeks, watch it back on Tuesday. The question on time slot was asked by Daniel McD of the Indo a few years back, he was told it was a case of use the slot (11pm) or lose the slot !!

When you have a guy running RTE sport who’s prime interest is Rugby, this is going to be a hard sell, even though RTE are not strictly paying for the show, its funded out of the overall FAI deal for the international rights I think.

The ideal time would of course be 7pm / 8pm on either Sunday or Monday.

WeAreRovers
21/04/2017, 1:15 PM
oriel - no offence mate but you're wrong on almost every count in that post. Good interview with Ryle here which covers most of it and puts many cherished LOI fan shibboleths to bed.

http://www.intallaght.ie/rte-explain-position-on-league-of-ireland-coverage/

NeverFeltBetter
21/04/2017, 2:08 PM
True. It's just the lightweight analysis that does my head in. There's a few clubs the pundits know about, and outside of that they tend to rely on clichés as analysis.

Maybe its just random coincidence, but anytime I actually watch Soccer Republic's analysis about Limerick the words "money", "cash" and "spend" are used liberally, and it drives me mad. You'd think we were Man City.

colonelwest
21/04/2017, 9:16 PM
To be fair the bafflement comes when they'd rather show Clongoes under 12s Vs Blackrock under 12s or a 170 times repeated repeat of a 15 year old National Geographic show. The Nuge is a decent skin but he's an avowed and unashamed rugger bugger. He's banjaxed from next year though with Liberty Global/ TV3 getting the rights to all the rugby so it'll either be more schools rugby or we might actually see some promotion of domestic football outside of the bare minimum.

NeverFeltBetter
21/04/2017, 9:27 PM
There's also the AIL. There was a time RTE used to show one live game from that a week.

oriel
21/04/2017, 10:21 PM
oriel - no offence mate but you're wrong on almost every count in that post. Good interview with Ryle here which covers most of it and puts many cherished LOI fan shibboleths to bed.

I must have missed that interview for some reason when it came out, to be fair RTE have provided reasonable responses to each question posted.

ger121
22/04/2017, 10:39 AM
I just hate the name. A soccer republic we most certainly are not.

Eminence Grise
22/04/2017, 11:37 AM
True: neither soccer nor a republic.

With all the off-field drama so far this season (restructuring the divisions, Athlone, Kenny's penalties hissy-fit) they could cut the football bits out completely, repackage Soccer Republic as a soap and show it in the Fair City slot.

ger121
24/04/2017, 10:45 PM
Jesus, I was starting to wonder if Murray and Kerr were going to start a slow set during the Cork - Pat's post match analysis.

osarusan
24/04/2017, 11:03 PM
More actual highlights, less analysis of what the analysts just watched seconds before.

Also, they could do with (and used to have) a quick mention of the FD results and table.

WoodquayBoy
24/04/2017, 11:31 PM
"Damian McIntyre in charge today for the last time" after the camera pans to DECLAN McIntyre on the Sligo Rovers bench in the highlights from their game with Derry City. Oh just f*** off Stephen Alkin if you can't be ars3d to do even the most basic of research

SeanDrog
25/04/2017, 6:13 AM

I actually found that a very good interview (thanks wearerovers)

The 11pm slot is tokenism but in reality traditional tv is a dead man waking - RTE player provides easy access (apart from sitting through its adverts lol and waiting till a Monday). I'd rather than to change the 11pm Monday slot on traditional tv, I'd much prefer to see it released earlier on the player. Once it's on the player they can show it on any slot on traditional tv they want.

The reality is that no matter what slot they show it on traditional tv, the viewing figures aren't going to move much. It's actually an opportunity for the league to engage the new "media" and get a head of the curve and unshackle ourselves from the traditional media outlets - look at the great radio show Alan from Limerick puts out over the web as an example - now there's a topic to discuss for over a few pints!

Just my opinion but I'm very bias against traditional tv broadcasting - my kids never watch it - it's all YouTube channels / Netflix etc.

Note: I fully accept that the above relies on decent broadband which the government has ignored for rural areas. I'm getting (fingers crossed) possibly 15mb speed tomorrow!!! Don't laugh I currently have 3-4mb on a good day and that involved bouncing signals off aerials - most neighbours have less than 1mb!!!.

disgruntled
26/04/2017, 9:37 AM
The time slot could be better but what do you expect from RTE ?

I enjoy the highlights but the analysis is woeful.
We had highlights of a team unbeaten so far this season & what do they do then ?
Spend about 10 minutes analysing the opposition & completely missed the main highlights of the match.
2 excellent goals from Cork, a tackle which nearly cut McCormack in two & a referee who didn't seem to know his ass from his elbow. All Kerr wanted to talk about was Pats failure to support their front players.
I know he has Pats in his heart & that's fair enough but come on like :rolleyes:

As for the little dance that Kerr & Murray were doing? the less said about that the better.
Looking at that it was probably better that the program wasn't on earlier.
I thought at one stage they were going to start holding hands :love_heart:

gufcfan
26/04/2017, 10:29 AM
The time slot could be better but what do you expect from RTE ?
I would be surprised if RTÉ even make it for much longer. I don't know when the deal is up but they will drop it the minute they can.
Not giving out about the team that produces it as such, a lot of what is wrong with it is a symptom of them having to do it with no money and probably a limited window to do things.

I enjoy the highlights but the analysis is woeful

There was 6 games to look at from the weekend. 2 minutes of footage from Limerick v Galway. No analysis.

completely missed the main highlights of the match.
Matches are often misrepresented in what was shown and how it is characterised by the pundit that watched the tape back, if they even did. You'd wonder sometimes.

nigel-harps1954
26/04/2017, 12:40 PM
For me, there's a whole multitude of problems with Soccer Republic. For the best part, the production itself is top class. Take nothing from the team behind the scenes, I think the large problems lie with the analysts and the way it's presented.

1. Analysis is completely woeful. The feature game where they stop and highlight players needs scrapped. It's brutal and watching grown men struggle with technology and stumble over their words is pure car-crash television.

2. Not giving equal coverage to teams. It's been said here before, they just don't know enough about the teams they're analysing. Asking Dan Murray to comment on a game between Drogheda and Finn Harps when he's watched two minutes of footage, and possibly read two paragraphs in a national newspaper is just asking for poor commentary.

3. 'Commentary'. Adrian Eames 'commentating' from Dalymount Park. Ger Canning commentating on 'Dundork'. Just describe what happened in the game and stop trying to make it sound like you were there. It's bloody awful.

4. Peter Collins. The guy tries hard. I've no doubt that he genuinely enjoys the football, but he's a brutal presenter and about 90% of his jokes are terrible.

A few suggestions.

From the start, since MNS, people have called for no gimmicks. It's not Sky Sports, get rid of the touchscreen analysis. Just talk about the games. Cut the feature game by a few minutes and give everyone else a bit of a look too.

Either go along and actually commentate or don't bother at all. If you want to copy Match of the Day, send along a commentator and actually have them commentate on the games alongside the camera. Either that, or have a local reporter who was at the game cover the voice-over notes. RTE or Airtricity League website should be sending reporters to the games anyway to cover them.

Give the analysts a decent bit of footage to go over. They should be looking at 10-15 minutes of key moments from the games pre-editing at least. And while they're at it, if they're going to analyse footage, have them analyse key points of the game...sometimes even goals are left out.

Someone go and bundle Con Murphy into the back seat and force him back onto the sofa. If not, give the gig to Joanne Cantwell. Soccer Republic was enjoyable during the Olympics and Euros last year when Cantwell sat in temporarily.

Finally, change the feckin day it's on. Monday night, 3 full days after games finish, is beyond terrible. It would be okay if clubs were allowed to show their own highlights, but not letting anyone watch back any footage from games due to this agreement with RTE and then having to wait 3 days is ridiculous. Even a Sunday night at 10pm is far more suitable than 11pm Monday night.

sbgawa
26/04/2017, 2:25 PM
Someone else said it but there is no reason why they can't put it up on the player on Saturday evening, Advertisers still get their adverts.. whats the problem?
Other than having to get the people in on a Saturday to do the editing and commentary....

Martinho II
26/04/2017, 8:02 PM
For me, there's a whole multitude of problems with Soccer Republic. For the best part, the production itself is top class. Take nothing from the team behind the scenes, I think the large problems lie with the analysts and the way it's presented.

1. Analysis is completely woeful. The feature game where they stop and highlight players needs scrapped. It's brutal and watching grown men struggle with technology and stumble over their words is pure car-crash television.

2. Not giving equal coverage to teams. It's been said here before, they just don't know enough about the teams they're analysing. Asking Dan Murray to comment on a game between Drogheda and Finn Harps when he's watched two minutes of footage, and possibly read two paragraphs in a national newspaper is just asking for poor commentary.

3. 'Commentary'. Adrian Eames 'commentating' from Dalymount Park. Ger Canning commentating on 'Dundork'. Just describe what happened in the game and stop trying to make it sound like you were there. It's bloody awful.

4. Peter Collins. The guy tries hard. I've no doubt that he genuinely enjoys the football, but he's a brutal presenter and about 90% of his jokes are terrible.

A few suggestions.

From the start, since MNS, people have called for no gimmicks. It's not Sky Sports, get rid of the touchscreen analysis. Just talk about the games. Cut the feature game by a few minutes and give everyone else a bit of a look too.

Either go along and actually commentate or don't bother at all. If you want to copy Match of the Day, send along a commentator and actually have them commentate on the games alongside the camera. Either that, or have a local reporter who was at the game cover the voice-over notes. RTE or Airtricity League website should be sending reporters to the games anyway to cover them.

Give the analysts a decent bit of footage to go over. They should be looking at 10-15 minutes of key moments from the games pre-editing at least. And while they're at it, if they're going to analyse footage, have them analyse key points of the game...sometimes even goals are left out.

Someone go and bundle Con Murphy into the back seat and force him back onto the sofa. If not, give the gig to Joanne Cantwell. Soccer Republic was enjoyable during the Olympics and Euros last year when Cantwell sat in temporarily.

Finally, change the feckin day it's on. Monday night, 3 full days after games finish, is beyond terrible. It would be okay if clubs were allowed to show their own highlights, but not letting anyone watch back any footage from games due to this agreement with RTE and then having to wait 3 days is ridiculous. Even a Sunday night at 10pm is far more suitable than 11pm Monday night.

considerin Eir TVs superb live package than RTES its an awful pity that Eir isnt chosen to show the highlights.. They already use Extratimes regional team for roundups of other teams. Whats the issue?

Martinho II
26/04/2017, 8:03 PM

A few suggestions.

considerin Eir TVs superb live package than RTES its an awful pity that Eir isnt chosen to show the highlights.. They already use Extratimes regional team for roundups of other teams. Whats the issue?

Nah Nah Nah Nah
27/04/2017, 8:00 AM
Some very good points there but I must say I much prefer the fake commentary then someone doing a voice over with "and then Dundalk scored their fourth goal against a terrible (insert team defending awful here) defence" before the build up for the goal even starts.

Seeing as Limerick and ourselves play on Saturday nights would think Sunday would realistically be the earliest they could produce it by.

Sean South
27/04/2017, 12:20 PM
I think we are behind the trend when it comes to broadcasting our league. League of Ireland fans are constantly complaining about lack of coverage from RTE or the FAI. It's a waste of time moaning and expecting someone else to promote our "product" at this stage. Really the clubs should come together and produce their own preview show with interviews, insights, and even a quick round up of the previous weekends goals and broadcast it live on YouTube, Facebook, or other sites every Thursday night.* The costs of making such a show are very little between 20 clubs. It's the direction media and coverage has been going the past few years. If you look at all the "alternative media" sites away from the mainstream, some will broadcast live on YouTube for 15 minutes then you have to subscribe* to view the rest of the show something like €50 a year...

LFC Blue
02/05/2017, 2:39 PM

A few suggestions.

As for "FABIO" O'Brien commenting on his mate "Bradser" on the weekly Shamrock Rovers discussion last night🙈

osarusan
15/05/2017, 10:45 PM
My god Dave Barry is agony to listen to. "ya know, ya know, ya know sure"

And Rowling at Sligo looked to have one of the worst performances of all time against Dundalk.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
16/05/2017, 7:55 AM
Thought he was the best right back in the league last season. And the worst this season.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
16/05/2017, 8:40 PM
Who was the lunatic roaring during the coverage of the Harps game?

nigel-harps1954
16/05/2017, 9:04 PM
Who was the lunatic roaring during the coverage of the Harps game?

Guess?

Nah Nah Nah Nah
16/05/2017, 9:28 PM
Ahhhhhhh

Was thinking I didn't spot him in Oriel alright. Marie Crowe will be doing an interview with him soon enough

nigel-harps1954
16/05/2017, 9:48 PM
Ahhhhhhh

Was thinking I didn't spot him in Oriel alright. Marie Crowe will be doing an interview with him soon enough

It was Ollie Horgan. I don't know why he'd have been in Oriel?

Yossarian
16/05/2017, 10:38 PM
Ahhhhhhh

If you're referring to Tom, well he was in Oriel. I was talking, or rather listening, to him in the bar after the game.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
17/05/2017, 7:58 AM
Yeah I'm referring to Tom - was Ollie Horgan in the commentary box. He's never that clear on the commentry.

nigel-harps1954
17/05/2017, 9:43 AM
Yeah I'm referring to Tom - was Ollie Horgan in the commentary box. He's never that clear on the commentry.

He was about three foot away from the camera. Touchline ban for being sent off against Bohs.

kksaints
17/05/2017, 9:43 PM
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrtXByqtOb0" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrtXByqtOb0

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrtXByqtOb0)

What Oille Horgan sounded like for that Bray goal.

Briuk
28/06/2017, 8:21 PM
Quite funny how they were cutting N'Do when he was doing his reasonings, I don't think they will call him again

nigel-harps1954
28/06/2017, 9:57 PM
In fairness, I think there was a collective "what in the feck is he talking about?" when he tried to defend Gannons challenge on Sean Houston for Harps denied penalty shout.

ToberonaTornado
30/06/2017, 4:04 AM
In fairness, I think there was a collective "what in the feck is he talking about?" when he tried to defend Gannons challenge on Sean Houston for Harps denied penalty shout.

I thought joe dropped off the deep end in the show when he said Keith Ward was the best player in the league :(:rolleyes:
Keen fan of Keith and all i am but even he knows the craic!?

Philosophizer
30/06/2017, 10:16 AM
I thought joe dropped off the deep end in the show when he said Keith Ward was the best player in the league :(:rolleyes:
Keen fan of Keith and all i am but even he knows the craic!?

i think Joseph's exact words were - He's the best footballer in the league, but not the best player.

I cut him some slack as he's not speaking in his native tongue. But in my mind, he was trying to say that Ward is the most naturally gifted player in the league, but not the best player. Maybe that's a bit of an over exaggeration, but in terms of raw skill he's up near the top for sure. Some of the touches he's had for Bohs this year and the assists and mazy dribbles he goes on are sensational to watch. In terms of raw skill i'd have him up there with McEleney, McNamee, Miele, Maguire, Dooley etc, but he just needs to improve 1 or 2 aspects of his game to be considered as good a player as those guys.

WeAreRovers
30/06/2017, 3:40 PM
Soccer Republic live on RTÉ Player at 6.30pm from next Monday

From next Monday (July 3) Soccer Republic will be available live on RTÉ Player at 6.30pm ahead of its usual slot on RTÉ2 at 10.55pm.

Peter Collins will be joined in studio by Alan Cawley and Stuart Byrne as they take a look back at the weekend's SSE Airtricity League Premier Division games as well as highlights of the three Irish clubs in Europa League qualifying action.

Soccer Republic - Monday 3 July, 6.30pm on RTÉ Player and 10.55pm on RTÉ2

sbgawa
30/06/2017, 4:15 PM
Get to watch SR at a civilised time , happy days

holidaysong
30/06/2017, 4:34 PM
Good development. Will this also happen in weeks with Monday games I wonder or will they slot in those highlights on the later TV version.

CuanaD
03/07/2017, 5:47 PM
It's on - web only - now.

Great to be able to watch at a reasonable time

El-Pietro
10/07/2017, 7:02 PM
Do you have to watch it at exactly 6.30? I can't find the episode to stream right now. Only last weeks episode available.

oriel
10/07/2017, 8:50 PM
Exact same for me EL P, only last week's episode on when I went in to watch it (around 8pm) so I can only assume you have to watch it live. Pity its not stored to watch, all the 'benefit' of the rte player and I still find it easier to watch it on record on my tv at 9pm or so on a Tuesday !

ger121
10/07/2017, 10:01 PM
Do you have to watch it at exactly 6.30? I can't find the episode to stream right now. Only last weeks episode available.

I only copped that today myself. Bit ridiculous really.

ToberonaTornado
10/07/2017, 10:23 PM
Have RTE just used phone coverage there from the Derry match in Sligo last week?