PDA

View Full Version : Who do you support and WHY?

Pages : [1] 2

Éanna
17/02/2005, 2:02 PM
Following on from the "what English team" thread, I'm just interested to know who people support and more importantly WHY.

for me:
Cork City: went to a match by chance 8 or 9 years ago and got hooked almost instantly, never looked back. Its my team, representing my city.

Real Madrid: It was the first jersey I ever owned, and the first team I ever went to see. Always loved Madrid (the city, the people) and went to see them when I lived there.

I always look out for teams who's grounds I've been to (Kaiserslautern, Inter Milan, Espanyol, Rayo Vallecano) or who City have played in Europe (Lausanne [RIP], Metalurgs, Malmo, Nijmegen, Nantes) and teams I've met fans of/ friends of mine in other countries support (Blackburn, Marseille)

Colm
17/02/2005, 2:04 PM
Cork City: I'm from Cork, no further explanation needed.

Gary
17/02/2005, 2:05 PM
Thought you supported Chelsea as well, and Inter Milan. Make up your mind.

For Me, it would be Cork city - My local team

Liverpool in England (How adre I support an English team :rolleyes: ). Why? Because I was once a young glory hunter.

Kaiserslautern. I was to their ground to see them play. Nice ground, nice jersey.

I like football full stop. I dont see why supporting one team should stop you from watching/liking/taking an interest in another.

martin_rules_ie
17/02/2005, 2:06 PM
Cork City: I'm from Cork, no further explanation needed.

likewise

and manutd cos when i was young you had two corkmen playing for them, roy and dennis :D

Éanna
17/02/2005, 2:08 PM
I like football full stop. I dont see why supporting one team should stop you from watching/liking/taking an interest in another.
It doesn't. I'm just interested to see why people support their teams :)

Colm
17/02/2005, 2:14 PM
Thought you supported Chelsea as well, and Inter Milan. Make up your mind.

Not support, take a very passing interest. Same goes for Man Utd, Barcelona, NEC, Nantes, Malmo, Everton, Tranmere and any other team I've been to see in their home ground. And to be honest I couldn't even tell you where Inter are in Serie A this season or even what division Tranmere are in so I'm hardly even taking an interest at all.

Gary
17/02/2005, 2:16 PM
Fair enough. Just wondering.

tiktok
17/02/2005, 2:22 PM
Getting confused with all these threads;

Cork City. Got into them after going to a game during college, starved as I was for actual LIVE football, i got very into it, very quickly.

Manchester United. Started in 1983 after the FA cup run that year with a few Mark Hughes volleys along the way, pure jumping on the bandwagon :D , had things gone differently I could have been supporting Arsenal or Brighton :eek: .

Barcelona, Mark hughes (again) moved there in 1985ish, started paying much closer attention after I visited Camp Nou for a CL game against Arsenal in 1999 (1-1 by the way), the City is one of my favourite places in the World.

Soft spots for;
Celtic (just because), Portland Timbers (US minors, lived there), Locarno (Swiss third division, lived there briefly), Inter Milan (loved the San Siro, was scared sh!tless by crowd trouble, but it left me with a story to tell ;) ) and I've kept an eye on all the clubs City have played in Europe back along.

Eire06
17/02/2005, 2:29 PM
EDIT: Forgot to put in WHY

I support Galway united and Celtic Religiously:D
- Cause I'm a Galway lassie, and cause Dad supported them have been brought up with Celtic in the house a since I was born, really in love since I was brought over to Celtic Park when I was 7..

In England Man U , But always had a soft spot from Chelsea have a bit of a conflict of intrest goin on in my head at the mo cause of it... :o :o
- Man U cause my brother supported Liverpool and I had to pick the team he hated the most... stupid I know but thats how it started... Always liked Chelsea they were always a bit rough around the edges, but fought hard..

Always keep and eye on Juventus and Barca too..... :D Juve just cause and Barca cause I loved Ronaldo when he played for then and went to see him play at nou camp

Oh ya and most of all Ireland - cause I'm Irish and dam proud of my team

harpskid
17/02/2005, 2:33 PM
Finn Harps - My local team, representing my county in the eL.

Nuff said! :cool:

Hibs4Ever
17/02/2005, 2:40 PM
Saint Patricks Athletic- My dad is from Inchicore and brought me to my 1st match when I was six.

Hibernian- The history of the club, the city, the people

liam88
17/02/2005, 2:44 PM
Ireland-Ma ma is from Ireland

Burma-Ma dad is from Burma

Cobh Ramblers-family from Cobh and Tipp, and ma Uncle practically runs Rambs :D Have some roots in the city so had a soft spot for city but watching Rambs soon flushed that clean out :D

Celtic-i'm Catholic, Irish and 2nd Gen Irish living in England so I was brought up with it-also Cobh is v.v. Celtic town :D Always loved watching em with ma brothers and grandad :D loved every minute of it

Burma stars-don't play anymore but the team for all the lads like ma dad over from Burma. Ma Grandad RIP managed them for a bit......big local rivals were the Calcutta Rangers

[Aldershot-not support so much but my pick of the local 3. Every football fan round here as Aldershot, Woking or Farnborough as either a first/second/third team and i'm pretty centeral. Have a lot of mates who watch Woking but then one of ma mates signed for Aldershot so... :D ]

Éanna
17/02/2005, 2:51 PM
seeing as international teams are being brought into it:
I always look out for Spain in any finals. Same reason as Real really- got the jersey when I was young, love the country etc. Too ****ed off with the FAI and the clowns who play for the ROI to support that team. I support ireland in rugby etc., just not in football.

KR's Post
17/02/2005, 2:52 PM
Bray Wanderers-started supporting them at the age of 7 and it has caught on since. My uncle signing for them was a big factor behind me starting to support them and ever since that it has been great. Nothing better than a live match. Never miss 1 until extraordinary circumstances arise... ;)

Eire06
17/02/2005, 3:01 PM
seeing as international teams are being brought into it:
I always look out for Spain in any finals. Same reason as Real really- got the jersey when I was young, love the country etc. Too ****ed off with the FAI and the clowns who play for the ROI to support that team. I support ireland in rugby etc., just not in football.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
When Spain were playin Ireland were you shoutin for them????

Bullet for one please ;)

Éanna
17/02/2005, 3:05 PM
Then I was shouting for Ireland. If it was tomorow, I'd probably support Spain.
1. I wasn't as disillusioned then as I am now.
2. Morrison wasn't playing.
3. Keane wasn't playing.

Its just after the fall out from that world cup, and a series of things that have happened at the FAI (Rooney etc) and their continuing attitude to the domestic league, I lost patience with them.

I nearly got murdered by another poster on this forum, because i was wearing a Spain jersey the day after that game :eek: :)

Eire06
17/02/2005, 3:19 PM
Then I was shouting for Ireland. If it was tomorow, I'd probably support Spain.
1. I wasn't as disillusioned then as I am now.
2. Morrison wasn't playing.
3. Keane wasn't playing.

Its just after the fall out from that world cup, and a series of things that have happened at the FAI (Rooney etc) and their continuing attitude to the domestic league, I lost patience with them.

I nearly got murdered by another poster on this forum, because i was wearing a Spain jersey the day after that game :eek: :)

Well I'm sorry but I prob would have killed you too..
Do you not think They have come along was since the world cup... No one was happy with what happened but we stand by our team through thick and thin....

Now whats wrong with Morrison??

Still can't believe you wore a Spain Jersey the day after, was it purposely to rub it in peoples faces... Not very nice now was it.. Surely you have something else you could have worn..

Éanna
17/02/2005, 3:26 PM
Well I'm sorry but I prob would have killed you too..
Do you not think They have come along was since the world cup... No one was happy with what happened but we stand by our team through thick and thin....
It wasn't to rub anyone's face in. At the time, I was gutted that Ireland lost, but Spain were my second team, so once Ireland went out........

Now whats wrong with Morrison??
He's crap. He's english. He told Sven he wanted to play for England. And he really bugs me.

Still can't believe you wore a Spain Jersey the day after, was it purposely to rub it in peoples faces... Not very nice now was it.. Surely you have something else you could have worn..
as above. it wasn't to annoy people. I just did.

Eire06
17/02/2005, 3:29 PM
I suppose each to their own.. But I hope you can see why people would take offence..

Éanna
17/02/2005, 3:31 PM
I suppose each to their own.. But I hope you can see why people would take offence..
People would only take offence if they took me seriously. And no-one does that, so it was no problem. :D :D (probably should have pointed out that I was in Germany at the time, so its not like i was walking around Cork/Ireland in a Spain jersey)

Eire06
17/02/2005, 3:51 PM
People would only take offence if they took me seriously. And no-one does that, so it was no problem. :D :D (probably should have pointed out that I was in Germany at the time, so its not like i was walking around Cork/Ireland in a Spain jersey)

Would you have do it if you were at home??

Closed Account 2
17/02/2005, 4:00 PM
Tranmere Rovers, I'm a glory hunter plain and simple.

National team, Ireland of course. Keep an eye out for the results of Russia, Serbia and Italy as I have frequently been to those countries and enjoyed my time there or I have friends of who are citizens of those countries.

Jim Smith
17/02/2005, 4:12 PM
Ayr United: My first footballing love and I've never managed to get over them. I tasted the heady bru of success (once) and the crushing pain of failure (more than once) with them for nearly 15 years when I was growing up so they are a part of me I suppose.

Bournemouth: Spent a year in Southampton (made Ayr games a bit difficult) and tried to get into the Dell but I wasn't allowed (some nonsense about being a member of a supporters club which they wouldn't let me join because the season had started - student / "jock" hating bigots) so I went on the train to Bournemouth to watch the Cherries instead - they were delighted to have anyone new turn up.

Cork City: Fed up of a life in the wilderness I finally became a glory hunter :eek:

Real ale Madrid
17/02/2005, 4:14 PM
I love questions like this:

Ever since I could walk I loved all sports but especially soccer. I bugged my father for years to take me to Turners Cross and finally I got to a game at the age of nine - it was the first round of the cup in 1990 against Waterford and I stood up on the wall at the St Annes. End leaning against the fence and Paul Bannon scored a header into the shed for the winner – remember that as vividly as any goal I’ve ever seen at the Cross.

However before I was a City fan I was a Liverpool fan they were always on the telly in the late eighties and while I am a City fan first I still take a great interest in Liverpool and try to get to Anfield at least once a year.

However there is nothing quite like supporting your National Team esp in the big qualifiers and at the finals.

As for other sports well I just support all things Cork, Munster and Ireland

gustavo
17/02/2005, 4:33 PM
support sligo rovers primarily
been supporting them since 1994 so in that sense i suppose i could be called a glory hunter :)
didnt know they existed before then,
supported manchester united for as long as i could remember mainly cos my mother used to be friendly with paddy crerard when he used to visit gweedore frequently gone off them recently
also in italy look out for sampdorias results and used to keep an eye on clyde and dundee when eddie annand played for them

Dillo
17/02/2005, 4:57 PM
I'm a Longfordian true and true. My family have resided in the same south Longford townland for hundreds of years. My family tree tells of a remarkable story down through the generations. The Longford crest even translates my surname and their fortress. I won't say I am proud of all my relations and ancestors but we are steeped in history and tradition.

Across the water, I follow Everton- "The People's Club" and the original big club. Traditionally, Everton is the greatest Irish club of them all. Unlike many English clubs, Irish players have always been welcomed and accepted with open arms at Goodison. There is a real sense of Irishness at this club. It is debatable as to whether an Irish person can consider themselves an Evertonian, a Liverpudlian or whatever the case when they haven't grown up in the area. Having said that, I always consider myself a Longfordian and an Evertonian.

Pat O' Banton
17/02/2005, 4:58 PM
Celtic, well there's no point going over the old ground about why people support them ;)
Arsenal, grew up in norf Landaaan in late 70's early 80's and around the time of the '79 cup final if you were Irish and in London this was the team to support. First got to see them in October 1980 and still kind of remember Stapleton scoring the only goal in a 1-0 win over Leicester. My dad maintains that the only thing I wanted to know was where the hooligans were.
Finn Harps in Ireland 'cause dad's from Donegal and Cliftonville, first visit to Solitude this season and certainly won't be the last - £2.10 a bottle of Bullermers/Magners in the club house :eek: :cool: and your allowed to bring the beer on to the terrace!
St. Pauli in Germany, their fans make a noted stand against rascism (and not a Nike wrist band in sight) They are also very left wing and up there with the nicests fans I have ever met. I also look out for Bourrisia Dortmund's score, having said that I think that Germany is the greatest place in the world to watch football, the beer is lovely and freely availible outside the grounds, the atmosphere around the stadiums is something else. So in general I look out for German club sides when they play in Europe, even the hated Bayern.

And of course Stoke City, as its who Mrs O' B supports, so I get dragged along a few times a season, and its probably the only team that I see play and remain sober enough to comperhend whats going on!

Ash
17/02/2005, 4:59 PM
I have to make the distinction between Support and Follow
for this one...

I Support Athlone Town, and by that I mean:
- I go to all home games
- as many away as I bus or can scab a lift to
- buy almost every bit of merchendise available
- help with the supporters club and fund raising etc
- wrote for the matchday programme
- Im also a member of the club

Reasons why:
- Its my local team
- My father and grandfather played for Town, brother played youths and old
B division and I done a few trials/trainings many moons ago with the Kennedy
Cup U14s team when I played underage for a local ADSL club

I Follow Celtic, West Ham and Sydney Olympic in that
- look out for the results every weekend and watch the odd game on telly
- I go to the (very) odd game for a weekend away in Glasgow/London
- buy a jersey now and again

Reasons why:
Celtic - The Irish connection with the club got me started and it just went from there

West Ham - Everyone in school supported Man U or Liverpool so I was sick of
that and eventually picked West Ham. Liam Brady, David Kelly, Chris Hughton et al was the connection and they played good football.

Sydney Olympic - nearest team to me when I lived over there

Sheridan
17/02/2005, 5:05 PM
Ayr United: My first footballing love and I've never managed to get over them. I tasted the heady bru of success (once) and the crushing pain of failure (more than once) with them for nearly 15 years when I was growing up so they are a part of me I suppose
Are you aware that they have recently signed Alex Nesovic? :eek: :eek:

Éanna
17/02/2005, 5:06 PM
Would you have do it if you were at home??
I honestly don't know. I really don't.

Longfordian
17/02/2005, 6:16 PM

Doesn't say a lot for Paul Keegan when they reject him after a trial in favour of Nesovic..Must be a few nice pubs in Ayr

GavinZac
17/02/2005, 6:32 PM
Cork City
because Im from cork

and i take a passing interest in Swindon (red white & green, cork city colours), San José (they used to be called CLash and it was the best name in the MLS :D) , Pretoria (ive a friend there) and Djorgardens (or however you spell it, because of Championship/Football Manager.)

sylvo
17/02/2005, 6:57 PM
[QUOTE=Pat O' Banton]
Arsenal, grew up in norf Landaaan in late 70's early 80's and around the time of the '79 cup final if you were Irish and in London this was the team to support. First got to see them in October 1980 and still kind of remember Stapleton scoring the only goal in a 1-0 win over Leicester.

Yer wee pup, my first game was about 76 in Highbury, Arsenal v Birmingham City, Trevor Francis ran riot on Arsenal that day, was took to a lot of games after that down at Highbury, don't know why I never became a supporter of them though. ;)

sylvo
17/02/2005, 7:12 PM
Kildare County, even though my mother is from Kerry my mom's family moved to Kildare so it's always been my family home in Ireland. I've always took an interest in Kildare teams results in junior leagues and was delighted when County got into the EL and supported them from the very start and have got to as many games as has been possible.

Also like Celtic, one of the main reasons being when i was about 6 years of age I LOVED THE KIT. My dad told me the other connection which offends some on here later.

Also always look out for AS Roma's results.

Jim Smith
17/02/2005, 9:29 PM
Aye, he was 'let go' on the 17th of January after two games. Apparently he 'couldn't settle' and is still living in Leeds.

CollegeTillIDie
17/02/2005, 11:38 PM
When I was in primary school kids started to follow only English teams. At that time I followed Leeds as in checked their results in the paper every week and cause John Giles played for them , although I liked big Jack as a player and Paul Madeley too. I was lucky in that our primary school teacher was a Waterford supporter so we took an interest in the League of Ireland as well and I religiously went to one game a year at that stage even though I did not have a particular team, just a soft spot for Shels but it was 1972.

By the time I started in University , and had been accepted into U.C.D. they had joined the League of Ireland, so I naturally looked out for their results.
My first U.C.D. game was a friendly to mark the official opening of our dressing room block at Belfield Park in early 1981. The opposition were Vancouver Whitecaps from the NASL and they included several ex-Leeds players from the 1970's and were managed by Johnny Giles. U.C.D. and one or two guest players held the mighty Whitecaps to a 1-1 draw and I was hooked cause I was in College with some of the players namely Keith Dignam, Joe Hanrahan, Aidan Reynolds, and Ken O'Doherty. I have supported U.C.D. ever since. I have written for , edited and sold the programme on matchdays,I have sold match tickets and operated turnstiles and even been the P.A. Announcer at Belfield Park over the years. Now I sell club souvenirs
programmes , fanzines, keyrings , scarves and jerseys at every home game.

I have watched Amateur League games, Universities Cup games, Under 21 , Old B Division games, and I was also P.R.O. and secretary for the U.C.D. Women's team for a couple of seasons at the tail end of the 1990's.
Highpoints were winning the Cup in 1984, winning the First Division title, Leinster Senior Cup and Shield in 1995 the Centenary season, qualifying for the Intertoto Cup in 2000 and winning the Super Cup the same year. And of course last season gaining promotion back to the Premier Division.

Beavis
18/02/2005, 11:22 AM
St. Pauli in Germany, their fans make a noted stand against rascism (and not a Nike wrist band in sight) They are also very left wing and up there with the nicests fans I have ever met.
We were talking to St.Pauli fans in Basle in September.AFAIK they were just into anything that was seen to represent the left wing.They had become devoute Celtic fans,and had even taken the pilgrimage to Belfast to see what it was all about! Legends

pete
18/02/2005, 1:20 PM
Cork City - just can't have pride in any coub but local one.

Father brought me to a few big Cup games at the Lodge but not sure why started going regularily. About 15-16 when started going regularily, maybe seeing City taking Derry to Cup replay in late 80's mad me go... Couldn't go days every week til could drive myself as relying on lifts before that.

Would be closet Spurs fan but their results would never affect me much. Think saw them on tv in League Cup v Liverpool in 1983 & picked white as opposed to red jerseys.

I think can tell know much a supporter by way defeats affect you. When affects you for say a few days the you kno0w your hooked.

SÓC
18/02/2005, 1:34 PM
We were talking to St.Pauli fans in Basle in September.AFAIK they were just into anything that was seen to represent the left wing.They had become devoute Celtic fans,and had even taken the pilgrimage to Belfast to see what it was all about! Legends

Met a few St. Pauli fans in Nijmagen, they seemed nice chaps, they werent too found of the Dutch mind you, or the German National team

http://corkcityfc.ie/gallery/displayimage.php?album=40&pos=124

Aldini98
18/02/2005, 2:28 PM
Liverpool - Closest Premiership ground to my house, that and the fact I've supported them since 1979.

Barcelona - Luis "The King" Enrique played for them, love the club and what it stands for, and the city is just amazing.

FC Vojvodina - Mate gave me their jersey :)

Mad Moose
18/02/2005, 4:04 PM
I still take a passing interest in Nottingham Forest because how the mighty did fall and Clough was one of the greats. Had a dream I moved to England :eek: and ended up becoming a vocal supporter at Victoria Park, home of Hartlepool United. There is just no reason for it but dreams are dreams. Watched Preston North End play Westport on my birthday a good ten years ago in Westport.

Soft spot for Elgin City, even found one of our forum supporters on their forum :eek: :eek:

Brendan

pete
18/02/2005, 4:32 PM
Aren't St pauli the gayest team in Europe or something? Tranvestite Chairman?

Éanna
18/02/2005, 5:49 PM
Aren't St pauli the gayest team in Europe or something? Tranvestite Chairman?
yeah, the chairman is a transvestite alright. the St pauli area of hamburg where the club is based is right beside the red light/alternative area of the city.

Bluebeard
20/02/2005, 3:11 PM
Isn't St. Pauli the team that, when they most recently reached the top flight in Germany, painted their bus to make it look like a banger.

If it is, in that season they beat Bayern, who had during had recently won the World Club Championship and then promptly had a load of tee-shirts made up which read World Club Championship Winners Beaters.

Absolutely legendary - Count them as my favourite German club any day of the week!

CollegeTillIDie
20/02/2005, 4:39 PM
Their club colours are sh1tty brown, white and red. Pure class :D

De Town
20/02/2005, 5:56 PM
LONGFORD TOWN - local team. Dad brought me out to a game when I was 4 and have been addicted ever since.

MAN UTD - because it has been passed on down through the family :)

Kerry Blue
20/02/2005, 6:47 PM
Limerick FC.
Nearest eL club to me.
Also have family in Limerick and went to college there.

eirebhoy
20/02/2005, 7:08 PM
likewise

and manutd cos when i was young you had two corkmen playing for them, roy and dennis :D
Off topic but this is exactly the reason most Cork people choose club (Cork) over country. Most Dubs think of the likes of Duff and Keane as Irish but Keane and Irwin are Corkmen to the Cork people. Cork means so much more to Cork people than Dublin does to Dubs.

Éanna
20/02/2005, 10:44 PM
Off topic but this is exactly the reason most Cork people choose club (Cork) over country. Most Dubs think of the likes of Duff and Keane as Irish but Keane and Irwin are Corkmen to the Cork people. Cork means so much more to Cork people than Dublin does to Dubs.
good point. Quite simply, I don't identify with most of the players on the irish team, so I have no affinity with them.

M@ttitude
21/02/2005, 1:16 AM
good point. Quite simply, I don't identify with most of the players on the irish team, so I have no affinity with them.
Identify? You cant Identify with the way they play or do you have to like a player for the person he is? Fair enough if its your favourite band, Id obviously identify with a Dublin band before a Cork band because of the lyrics and style but with football? Thats a bit odd!