PDA

View Full Version : Martin Russell gone from Limerick

Pages : [1] 2

outspoken
03/04/2017, 1:38 PM
From an outsiders view it seems slightly harsh but from following a lot of Limerick folk on twitter a long time coming it seemed. Club have released a statement.

osarusan
03/04/2017, 1:39 PM
Statement that also contains Martin Russell's statement

Limerick Football Club and Martin Russell have today parted company by mutual consent. Chairman Pat O’Sullivan and Marin Russell have released the following statements:

“The board and Martin had a meeting this morning. Following a discussion we mutually agreed to go our separate ways. The board and Martin subsequently met the players to inform them of Martin’s departure.

All at Limerick FC wish to thank Martin for his tremendous contribution to the club’s development since joining in 2014, and we would like to express our sincere gratitude for his hard work and commitment throughout that time.

His role in winning the First Division last year in such spectacular fashion, as well as reaching the final of the EA Sports Cup, will not be forgotten and secures his place in our club’s history. He will always be warmly welcomed back to the Markets Field.” – Pat O’Sullivan."

“Following a meeting this morning the Club and I have mutually and amicably decided to part-company. I would like to place on record my sincere thanks to Pat O’Sullivan for the opportunity to have managed Limerick Football Club. I would also like to wish everyone at the club, players and staff, the very best for the future in driving the club forward to achieve their goals” – Martin Russell.

There will be no further comment until a new appointment is made.

Mr A
03/04/2017, 1:40 PM
Viewed him as a complete chancer to not that surprised. Disappointed though.

osarusan
03/04/2017, 1:45 PM
Pat O'Sullivan is always animated, but that has changed to absolute fury this season. I sit near him in the stand, and he has been so angry (which everybody in the ground can hear).

Completely unprofessional behaviour on his part, but it shows his frustration with Russell.

White Horse
03/04/2017, 1:47 PM
Perhaps Pat O'Sullivan should manage the team himself.

El-Pietro
03/04/2017, 1:48 PM
Not at all surprised. While their budget problems in 2015 left him with little chance to put in a good performance early in the season they were still a seriously flawed team during their late season surge. The defending in that Sligo game was disgraceful and they almost went straight down.

He didn't learn from that last season and despite having one of the best/most dominant First Division teams ever they were still poor at the back and continued to concede goals. This season same story. Very tame performance against us on Friday and if you hadn't seen the advertising from Limerick during the week you could be forgiven for not realising it was a derby game, at least based on the Limerick performance.

They will be better off without him. Wish him luck though, I'm sure hes a good person and a good coach, but football is unforgiving and you have to balance idealism with pragmatism, all the best teams/managers realise this. Dundalk get a lot of plaudits for their football over the past few seasons but that was based on a solid defensive base, with their current goalkeepign problems and Boyles loss you can see they are struggling to get their performances back up to scratch early in the season. Cork City under Rico at our flowing best had the best defense in the league. Very few teams win the league by simply outscoring their defensive problems. I'm not suggesting Limerick have or should have aspirations to do that, but you can't play the way Limerick have done and expect to achieve much.

Lim till i die
03/04/2017, 1:59 PM
Perhaps Pat O'Sullivan should manage the team himself.

Eamon Cregan for the job imo.

oriel
03/04/2017, 3:09 PM
I have to say on what I saw of Limerick when we beat 1-0 in early March, I really thought they were nailed on for a top 5 finish. It was a really tough game, but their results and performances have nose dived since.

Still seems a wee bit harsh sacking him when series 1 is just over half way completed, but the terrible 0-3 home defeat on Friday wouldn't have helped him.

KeepersBall
03/04/2017, 3:10 PM
Only one man for the job.
He'll sort out the egg chasers and the sliothar slashers.

http://www.the42.ie/8-brilliant-quotes-from-the-return-of-the-rod-squad-episode-2-955053-Jun2013/

LK37oldskool
03/04/2017, 3:44 PM
Russell's win rate with Limerick is 30% in 54 premier league games. With 3 going down this season that's too tight a margin to risk

wonder88
03/04/2017, 3:52 PM
Would Trevor Crolly be a good fit for Limerick.
Sad to see Russell go and I hope he gets a position in the league soon, as it is poorer without him for sure.
Apparently it was a no-show on Friday and while looking from outside it seems the squad quality is not great, folding in a big match like that is unacceptable this early in season.

bluewhitearmy
03/04/2017, 3:57 PM
Would Trevor Crolly be a good fit for Limerick.
Sad to see Russell go and I hope he gets a position in the league soon, as it is poorer without him for sure.
Apparently it was a no-show on Friday and while looking from outside it seems the squad quality is not great, folding in a big match like that is unacceptable this early in season.

No offence but how in the name of god is the league poorer without Martin Russell.

Mr A
03/04/2017, 3:57 PM
Sean Connor driving to Limerick as we speak.

Lim till i die
03/04/2017, 3:58 PM
Im hearing Bucko (gas craic) and Doolin (dear sweet lord!!!)

Ezeikial
03/04/2017, 5:25 PM
Sean Connor driving to Limerick as we speak.

Don't be daft - he's banned from driving

Keepers Ball is driving him down

wonder88
03/04/2017, 5:51 PM
I think having a manager in the LoI that encourages his players to pass/build from the back is a good thing. Russell has been a victim of the short-sighted decision to relegate 25% of the teams this year, and the false perception(in my view) that the first division don't matter/is a disaster to be in. He did good work with UCD.

Now for the case against him.
I understand fully why Pat shacked him, especially if there was a lack of effort the other night. In the season predictions i think put Russell's Limerick 2nd bottom. Also I recall a game v Derry in Jackman Park 2 year back; midweek early season, where Limerick mixed excellent passing movements with plainly farcical defending especially by the goalkeeper. I felt for the owner that evening who was standing 20 yards away from me, and who was wondering aloud how a young man couldn't kick/clear a ball more than 10 yards. Limerick lost the game 2-1.
So understandable decision, but in a better structured league there would be room for him.

thomas72
03/04/2017, 6:08 PM
I think having a manager in the LoI that encourages his players to pass/build from the back is a good thing. Russell has been a victim of the short-sighted decision to relegate 25% of the teams this year, and the false perception(in my view) that the first division don't matter/is a disaster to be in. He did good work with UCD.

Now for the case against him.
I understand fully why Pat shacked him, especially if there was a lack of effort the other night. In the season predictions i think put Russell's Limerick 2nd bottom. Also I recall a game v Derry in Jackman Park 2 year back; midweek early season, where Limerick mixed excellent passing movements with plainly farcical defending especially by the goalkeeper. I felt for the owner that evening who was standing 20 yards away from me, and who was wondering aloud how a young man couldn't kick/clear a ball more than 10 yards. Limerick lost the game 2-1.
So understandable decision, but in a better structured league there would be room for him.

Russell encouraging passing from the back at all costs has been a huge problem it cost us goals last season and it cost us 3 already this season getting caught in possession he refused to change i know for a fact the chairman who usually sits 2 rows in front of me does be going absolutely nuts with that everyone can see what is going to happen.
Corks first goal you'll see tonight on MNS when we got caught again passing it around the back pat o Sullivan absolutely lost it IMO that was moment he thought enough is enough happening every week Russell doesn't seem to change to fix it.
Also imo our best midfielder Hery on the bench last two games another bizarre decision supporters in the stand were asking the chairman was he injured couldn't understand why he was dropped.

TonyD
03/04/2017, 7:09 PM
The problem with trying to play from the back is that it's difficult. As we've seen with Pats, you need good players and mistakes can be punished. It's far easier to be "pragmatic" and go for safety first. Bucko and Russell are cut from a similar cloth I think, though Liam has been far more successful. I for one hope we continue to play as Bucko wants, but having said that, there is a balance to be struck and if you are constantly leaking goals then something has to give.

Mike McLoughlin
03/04/2017, 9:06 PM
Fully agree Pay O'Sullivan vocal utterances in Bray last Saturday week were unacceptable.He singled out Turner for particular attention & his foul language is not what you expect from someone of his position. Russell's sacking was a knee jerk reaction & where to now. Was this planned and who is in line to succeed. Hardly an ideal situation

jinxy lilywhite
04/04/2017, 5:54 AM
Seems an incredibly harsh decision and rash by the board. You do need to ask why not replace Russell at the end of last season when the new man had a full preseason.
Hopefully for their sakes that they have a replacement lined up.
BTW what are limerick fans expectations for this season. Is it maintaining their pd status? Top half finish or Europe in a top 3? In reality limerick are probably on target to stay in the pd.

Jofspring
04/04/2017, 8:04 AM
Russell asked for a top 4 budget and was granted it.

Limerick fans would have been very happy with midtable and a good cut off a cup again.

Three years into Martins tenure and the same recurring theme happens in all our losses. You could even look at the way he had UCD playing and it was the same problems. He was given ample opportunity to fix these problems but refused due to his philosophy. Every Limerick regular could see the issues, the board could see the issues. The only people to think it was a harsh sacking are opposition fans.

Too much money is being spent and with three going down he had to go early rather than wait till mid-season and find it was too late.

Martin seems like a nice guy but in modern football you need to be able to adapt your footballing style.

osarusan
04/04/2017, 8:06 AM
The only people to think it was a harsh sacking are opposition fans.
And even Bohs fans and Harps fans who came to Market's Field this season would probably have a good idea of what the issue was.

White Horse
04/04/2017, 8:25 AM
The problem with trying to play from the back is that it's difficult.

It is difficult.

However, the three teams who have won the last five titles all played out from the back.

El-Pietro
04/04/2017, 8:37 AM
It is difficult.

However, the three teams who have won the last five titles all played out from the back.

They also knew how to defend.

Jofspring
04/04/2017, 9:07 AM
It is difficult.

I'm sure they all played out from the back when it was on. We have played out from the back at all costs spending most the game going side to side at the back.

disgruntled
04/04/2017, 9:46 AM
I'm not really surprised at the parting of the ways.
What surprised me is that it didn't happen at the end of last season.
Even though Limerick won the 1st Div at a canter the defensive problems were there for all to see.
Whatever about getting away with it in the 1st Div where they scored for fun you have no chance in the Premier Div where the first rule is that you must know how to defend when things are not going so well at the other end.

I think Limerick need to consolidate now & look to staying in the Div. It may not be pretty but hopefully they will survive.
No fancy appointments.
Just get someone in who knows how to get the best from the players at his disposal.
What's vitally important as well is that Limerick fans stick with the team & support them at every chance.

LK37oldskool
04/04/2017, 9:56 AM
4 clean sheets in 54 premier games. Nuff said.

Pablo Escobar
04/04/2017, 10:39 AM
I'm not really surprised at the parting of the ways.
What surprised me is that it didn't happen at the end of last season.
Even though Limerick won the 1st Div at a canter the defensive problems were there for all to see.
Whatever about getting away with it in the 1st Div where they scored for fun you have no chance in the Premier Div where the first rule is that you must know how to defend when things are not going so well at the other end.

I think Limerick need to consolidate now & look to staying in the Div. It may not be pretty but hopefully they will survive.
No fancy appointments.
Just get someone in who knows how to get the best from the players at his disposal.
What's vitally important as well is that Limerick fans stick with the team & support them at every chance.
I absolutely agree with that. The only shock was he lasted this long.

They'll be fine though. A focus on tightening up the defence will push them clear of any danger.

brendy_éire
04/04/2017, 12:47 PM
4 clean sheets in 54 premier games. Nuff said.

That's a mad stat.

From the outside though, the timing still seems strange.
It was three clean sheets from 48 before the season started, not any better really. Should that not have been the time to act?

fieldofmarkets
04/04/2017, 1:10 PM
That is the strange thing. He had been the manager for over 2 seasons when he was re-hired in the offseason. Deciding after 6 games (which included 2 wins and 2 losses to teams you would anticipate losing to) that he is not good enough shows the club don't know what they are doing or they have started listening to someone.

LK37oldskool
04/04/2017, 1:56 PM
I think the club was hoping that Martin would have a different approach this season. The games against Bohs and Harps were the games I believe got him the sack. No change in his approach from when he took over. You can't play in the premier league like you do in the first division. Anyone who watched them last season would have known that playing that style was a recipe for disaster. Martin cannot adapt his team. He sticks ridgely to his philosophy despite the chaos and the results. I believe that with Martin in charge it would have been a relegation battle all season with dwindling crowds.

osarusan
04/04/2017, 3:20 PM
That's a mad stat.

From the outside though, the timing still seems strange.
It was three clean sheets from 48 before the season started, not any better really. Should that not have been the time to act?

In the past, he took over a struggling team, and kept them up.

The next season, the budget was not only slashed, but slashed late, and we couldn't sign many players. We were truly hopeless (6 points from 63) but he did bring in some players and we went on that great run. Last season was fantastic obviously, but we were never tested in any way.

So you could argue that until this season, he hasn't had a chance to really have a proper go at the Premier division. But this season he had a proper go, and things were not good at all. Any opposition fans that remember 2 years ago when we passed the ball aimlessly round the back, achieving nothing but trouble for ourselves? Well, we're still at that. And no better at it now than we were then.

He hasn't been pragmatic in any way, he has been uncompromising in sticking to his principles even when it is utterly obvious that the players are not able to do what he wants, and we are still creating nothing and inviting trouble upon ourselves. He isn't able to attract the quality of player that can play that way, and he's not willing to change the way he plays.

I'm a fan but I'm just on the outside looking in. I can't comment on budgets or benchmarks or anything like that. But, definitely, there was a sense that with 3 going down, we could easily fall into that group unless things changed - changed in ways that Russell was unlikely to make.

fieldofmarkets
04/04/2017, 3:44 PM
I don't think we would have been in a relegation fight, but that's not really the point. Point is, if they didn't trust him, why did they hire him. It is also very poor to have hired him only on an expectation that he might change the way he plays.....that would have been irresponsible to him and placed the season at risk for the club. Assuming they trusted him enough to hire him, 6 games of new information is not sufficient to change your mind. Something doesn't seem right.

CraftyToePoke
04/04/2017, 3:53 PM
They have had their head turned you mean ? Glamour appointment coming up to shake f*uk outta the game as we know it here :)

fieldofmarkets
04/04/2017, 4:27 PM
I am going to hope that anyway. Wondering though if there is someone else getting more involved, or maybe just some lads lost the rag with no plan....Could be anything.

total hoofball
04/04/2017, 5:52 PM
He was lucky to have not got the bullet after getting relegated in 2015 but I still think it's an early kneejerk sacking him 6 games in with 8th spot and 7 points. That Limerick squad isn't good enough to avoid looking over their shoulder all season no matter who is in charge.

TonyD
04/04/2017, 6:40 PM
It is difficult.

Absolutely, and that's a good thing. As I said though, you need good players to be successful that way. Look at how Pats have slipped down the table since the quality of the squad has declined (mind you, we're on the up again now:cool:)

bluewhitearmy
04/04/2017, 6:51 PM
He was lucky to have not got the bullet after getting relegated in 2015 but I still think it's an early kneejerk sacking him 6 games in with 8th spot and 7 points. That Limerick squad isn't good enough to avoid looking over their shoulder all season no matter who is in charge.

And the squad is that way because of Martin Russell.

total hoofball
05/04/2017, 6:13 PM
And the squad is that way because of Martin Russell.
Someone mentioned top 4 budget, spending in same bracket as Dundalk, Cork, Shamrock Rovers and spending more than Derry, Bray, St. Pats?? I wouldn't be convinced by that

I think you's look about where you should be with that squad, but if he's been allowed to sign alot of the lower half of the table fodder in your squad on a Top 4 budget then he shouldn't have even made the start of the season

bluewhitearmy
05/04/2017, 7:47 PM
Someone mentioned top 4 budget, spending in same bracket as Dundalk, Cork, Shamrock Rovers and spending more than Derry, Bray, St. Pats?? I wouldn't be convinced by that

I think you's look about where you should be with that squad, but if he's been allowed to sign alot of the lower half of the table fodder in your squad on a Top 4 budget then he shouldn't have even made the start of the season

We 100% have a bigger budget than Derry and Pats and are very close to the same if not above Bray. Obviously not anywhere near Cork and Dundalk but he had a very very good budget.

fieldofmarkets
05/04/2017, 9:29 PM
How are people aware of budgets...Is it hearsay or something that is disclosed in licensing or what?
There is the standard that you should finish in the league according to your budget. Do you think are there any inconsistencies in LOI to this?
The standard should hold in a perfect market for instance but I suspect a set amount of money might put a better team on the field in Dublin for instance.

bluewhitearmy
05/04/2017, 9:37 PM
How are people aware of budgets...Is it hearsay or something that is disclosed in licensing or what?
There is the standard that you should finish in the league according to your budget. Do you think are there any inconsistencies in LOI to this?
The standard should hold in a perfect market for instance but I suspect a set amount of money might put a better team on the field in Dublin for instance.

Nobody knows 100% but I think enough people close to clubs would have a tough idea. It's a small league.

nigel-harps1954
05/04/2017, 10:02 PM
We 100% have a bigger budget than Derry and Pats and are very close to the same if not above Bray. Obviously not anywhere near Cork and Dundalk but he had a very very good budget.

Close to Bray but not anywhere near Cork or Dundalk? Are Cork and Dundalks wage bills really that high that they're totally eclipsing what Bray are spending out this year?!

(I have a folder in my house with every budget figure to the cent.)

sulywaterfordfc
05/04/2017, 10:16 PM
Is the problem closer to home then Limerick fans think? Maybe there's a problem with the running of the club. With the reported money spent and with the final squad going into the season personally I see Cork, Dundalk, Derry, Rovers and Bray a distance ahead of them in terms of squad quality. Going into the season with the squad Limerick have imo they squad be happy to get mid table. Then build on it and push on for Europe. Getting promoted then trying to push on budget wise for top four and with four three going down is quite risky especially if it doesn't start out well. I think Limerick will stay up but don't see them anywhere near the Europe places.

bluewhitearmy
05/04/2017, 10:16 PM
Close to Bray but not anywhere near Cork or Dundalk? Are Cork and Dundalks wage bills really that high that they're totally eclipsing what Bray are spending out this year?!

Bray I actually have no idea about they might be blowing us out of the water too what I do know for sure is we have bigger budget than Pats,Harps,Galway,Bohs,Drogs,Derry and Sligo.

bluewhitearmy
05/04/2017, 10:20 PM
Is the problem closer to home then Limerick fans think? Maybe there's a problem with the running of the club. With the reported money spent and with the final squad going into the season personally I see Cork, Dundalk, Derry, Rovers and Bray are distance ahead of them in terms of squad quality. Going into the season with the squad Limerick have imo they squad be happy to get mid table. Then build on it and push on for Europe. Getting promoted then trying to push on budget wise for top four and with four three going down is quite risky especially if it doesn't start out well. I think Limerick will stay up but don't see anywhere near the Europe places.

Nobody expected us to be pushing Europe this season we expected to be safe in mid-table and away from any kind of relegation battle something that me and a hell of a lot of others didn't think would happen if Russell stayed. The reason our squad isn't great is because when given a decent budget Martin Russell had no idea at all what to do with it and others ended up having to finish the squad when they realised that his humming and hawing was gonna send us straight back down. Don't get me wrong there are other problems at Limerick at times but Russells sacking is on one man and thats him. An awful manager.

Jofspring
05/04/2017, 10:45 PM
Ya I would agree we probably have in around the 3rd or 4th highest budget in the league and wouldn't be surprised if it's actually barely lower than the three higher.

There was definitely an issue around signings which a few fans pointed out when we still had trialists a week before the season started.

Time to move on now though and hope we get the right man. I think we need someone who knows this league and what it takes to win. Not someone trying to mould a brand of football into a team because it looks good. People have whinged about Cork hoofing the ball a lot but they are the ones near the top most years and now look to be favourites. That's purely because they know how to win games. Solid defensively and punish teams in attack.

osarusan
05/04/2017, 11:42 PM
Put the figures up for everybody to have a look at.

nigel-harps1954
06/04/2017, 8:05 AM
Just in case anyone wasn't sure of this, I was definitely joking about a folder full of budgets. I don't think that even exists in the FAI sometimes.

I've been told figures from a couple of clubs, and heard from a couple of players about offers from other clubs, but exactly how much of it you can trust is the other side of that.

osarusan
06/04/2017, 8:35 AM
Just in case anyone wasn't sure of this, I was definitely joking about a folder full of budgets. I don't think that even exists in the FAI sometimes.

I've been told figures from a couple of clubs, and heard from a couple of players about offers from other clubs, but exactly how much of it you can trust is the other side of that.
i doubt it even exists at some clubs!

And I don't know how much you can trust what you hear from players at all. I remember a story about Limerick FC - this was a good few years ago. They made player A an offer of a certain amount. Don't know what it was, lets say it was a round number like €500 a week. The player verbally agreed to sign. Then the club contacted player B, looking to sign them. Player B contacted player A (player B must have heard he'd agreed to play for Limerick) asking how much he was getting. Player A gave a figure of significantly higher than what he'd agreed to play for, lets say €800 (out of vanity? Or whatever reason). Player B gets back to the club and says he'll sign but he wants €800. Club says they aren't going to pay anybody that amount of money this season. Player B says that he was talking to Player A, and that's what Player A is getting. Clubs says he's not, player B is suspicious, they can't agree on a figure, so thanks but no thanks Player B, then the club calls Player A and tells them the deal is off too.

The moral of all this is that the word on the street is that Limerick are offering mad money for players.