PDA

View Full Version : Alan Hunter - the voice of Irish football

Pages : [1] 2

dcfcsteve
16/02/2005, 12:21 AM
That joker Alan Hunter was on the news again tonight with his so-called supporters organisation, saying they warned the FAI in 1995 that trouble was on the cards !!!

He's been regularly given prime airtime for at leats the last 4 years to comment on issues affecting Irish football fans ! Un-feckin-believeable !!! I can't believe that the media turn to him for anything. That man needs to be outed as a complete fantasist. His organisation doesn't exist, doesn't do anything, and in 19 years of close-interest in Irish football I've yet to even hear of, let alone meet, a member of his Irish Supporters whetever thing.

It's shocking that he gets media space to inflate his fantasist ego, whilst the real issues about Irish football never make it onto TV (FAI incompetence, funding, licensing, the impact of English/Scottish football etc etc).

I say we out him to the press somehow. Any thoughts ?

Longfordian
16/02/2005, 12:38 AM
I remember even back in the EL messageboard days numerous threads about Alan Hunter and we all know he has no organisation but how has the man any credibilty left?! He's done a remarkable job of hanging on in there with no-one supporting him, or at least nobody anyone's ever met

gspain
16/02/2005, 8:11 AM
Pure gutter journalism by RTE to keep using this guy when the know the facts.

Funniest thing was when the home games were sold to Sky and "our fans" representive said he always looked forward to watching our game son RTE with the kids. Surely a fans rep would at least go to home games.

harry crumb
16/02/2005, 8:15 AM
What do you mean no members? What about P. O'Neill and Harvey the Rabbit?

jimhacker
16/02/2005, 9:37 AM
It's not "gutter journalism" - it's something much worse. It's lazy journalism - you know -"who do we usually talk to on these matters? ah yes get old Hunter on the phone".

They're the same in every other area as well - just look at their fawning reliance on that idiotic AA Roodwatch.

jimhacker
16/02/2005, 11:00 AM
I wonder how much that guy from the AA Roadwatch is paid to go on shows and make really incisive comments like 'tests in Norway showed that reduced road speeds results in less accidents'...

Oddly enough, that guy does havesome credibility - what gets me is their self-important, breathless,inane, and utterly USELESS so-called information bulletins. And every radio station in the land uses it and promotes it as somehow important and useful.

jimhacker
16/02/2005, 11:01 AM
And, btw, he's right about Norway!

Macy
16/02/2005, 11:23 AM
I wonder how much that guy from the AA Roadwatch is paid to go on shows and make really incisive comments like 'tests in Norway showed that reduced road speeds results in less accidents'...
Actually, the AA do have paying members, it's not just a go it alone organisation... The actual roadwatch birds though, clueless...

wws
16/02/2005, 11:31 AM
The AA is a fckin commercial insurance company with a sideline in the tow truck business they shouldnt be allowed on every 5 minutes - conor friggin faughnan giving his views on everything from driving tests to toll roads - THEY ARE NOT A MOTORING LOBBY GROUP they are a business with a vested interest in that market! :rolleyes:

its like getting Michael O Leary on to give a free ad for ryanair during a review for The Aviator :rolleyes:

back on topic Hunter is possibly the funniest man (vaguely) connected with Irish football - the brass neck of this bloke is hilarious as it is astounding I liken him to that fella who poses as players at big events and gets in the team line ups! :D

Longfordian
16/02/2005, 11:37 AM
back on topic Hunter is possibly the funniest man (vaguely) connected with Irish football - the brass neck of this bloke is hilarious as it is astounding I liken him to that fella who poses as players at big events and gets in the team line ups! :D

While you mention that lad that poses in the team photos, Karl Power, he's in jail now so no more stunts for him for a while.

LFC in Exile
16/02/2005, 12:08 PM
Its not just RTE....

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/irelandfootball/story/0,11021,759189,00.html

His view on Keano.

http://breaking.tcm.ie/story.asp?j=108746496&p=yx8747x7z&n=108747083&x=

His views on whether fans should go to the Israel match. Very clear and concise arguments presented. :)

http://roissc.com/IFSA.HTM

Ha ha. :)

Éanna
16/02/2005, 12:31 PM
The AA is a fckin commercial insurance company with a sideline in the tow truck business they shouldnt be allowed on every 5 minutes - conor friggin faughnan giving his views on everything from driving tests to toll roads - THEY ARE NOT A MOTORING LOBBY GROUP they are a business with a vested interest in that market! :rolleyes:

agreed. the man does speak some sense at times, but thats always tempered by the fact that the AA are an insurance company, and a **** of a one at that. last time I asked them for a quote, they said they didn't quote anyone under 28!!! :rolleyes:

:D Not far wrong. I can't believe the press keep using him though :rolleyes:

anto eile
16/02/2005, 12:48 PM
he has a mailing list of fans aparently.hardly qualifies him as anything.
knob end

A face
16/02/2005, 7:17 PM
Lads, the thing is though .... he is the ONLY person putting themselves forward for supporters of Ireland.

He IS representing us ..... he IS the voice of the Irish fans ..... and only until someone clarifies this and sets people straight, then he will STILL BE and will ALWAYS be the voice of the Irish Fans !!

petef
16/02/2005, 7:30 PM
The legend that is Hunter, the cardigan tie combination, classic.

dcfcsteve
16/02/2005, 7:35 PM
Lads, the thing is though .... he is the ONLY person putting themselves forward for supporters of Ireland.

He IS representing us ..... he IS the voice of the Irish fans ..... and only until someone clarifies this and sets people straight, then he will STILL BE and will ALWAYS be the voice of the Irish Fans !!

Very true - the press have no-one to turn to, unlike that fat bloke that legitniate fat bloke who represents English fans.

However - we do have bodies like the ROISSC who have large memberships and could easily provide spokespeople as and when needed.

Whateevr happend to NLU ? What's the chances of a fan-based representative body getting off the ground (slim...?) ?

I've done-up a press release to 'out' Hunter that I'm keen to send round the media. I'm not convinced many of them would run the story unless the 'hook' is right - but at least if they read it it should hopefully casue them to question him in future.

I'll post it up for feedback, and to get some other names to put against it. There's no point it going out without having at least, say, 10 names form different clubs.

dcfcsteve
16/02/2005, 7:46 PM
Right - the first draft of the press release I've done about Hunter is below.

The 'hook' for the media is that ordinary fans are worried that giving one unrepresentative person a voice is dangerous, and may even cause problems for Irish footie.

If I was to send this out I'd only do so with at least 10 genuine fan names appearing on it - preferably from across a good range of clubs. If you'd be interested in this, PM me your e-mail address and I'll liaise with all interested on creating the final version of the text. I'd then also need help in getting it faxed out.

Hunter once claimed that a single team representing Dublin in the English Premiership (a la Dublin Dons) would be a good thing for the game here !!
A joke's a joke, but this guy needs to be stopped before he says anything that can really damage our game..... :

Serial Imposter ‘outed’ by Irish Football Fans

Fans of the Ireland soccer team and from across a broad range of Eircom League clubs, have today come together to alert the Irish media to the presence of a fictitious fan’s representative organisation which they believe is putting Irish football fans in danger.

For a number of years, a Mr Alan Hunter has appeared in both print and broadcast media claiming to be the head of an organisation called the ‘Irish Football Supporters Association’ (IFSA). Mr Hunter claims that this body has been in existence since 1970 and has 50,000 members – representing soccer, rugby and GAA supporters. As a result of his claims, Mr Hunter has been regularly turned-to for ‘fans eye’ interviews and quotes by the Irish and English media on matters concerning Irish soccer – appearing most recently on RTE television on Tuesday 15th February*.

Mr Alan Hunter and his ‘Irish Football Supporters Association’ (IFSA) are well-known amongst Irish football fans for fronting a bogus organisation that constantly seeks to hoodwink the Irish sporting media into broadcasting his views.

The facts are as follows :

- Mr Hunter in no-way represents Irish football supporters.
- There is no such representative organisation as the ‘Irish Football Supporters Association’.
- The IFSA is not recognised by the FAI, nor does it engage in any of the activities one would expect from a representative body. It does not have an organising committee, an AGM, a constitution or a website. It doesn’t recruit members, hold meetings or run events.
- The organisation is a ‘spoof’ body that Mr Hunter uses to present his own views on Irish football.
- Genuine representative supporter’s bodies (e.g. the Republic of Ireland Soccer Supporters Club) have actually published statements to distance themselves from Mr Hunter and the IFSA : http://roissc.com/IFSA.HTM
- Mr Hunter claims that his organisation “has a list of 50,000 supporters”. However, it is unclear whether this list actually exists, or if those named on it are even aware that they are ‘members’ of such an organisation.
- To-date, only one media outlet (www.soccercentral.ie) has questioned Mr Hunter’s credibility as a fan’s representative

Previously, Mr Hunter’s ability to secure media attention for his fictitious organisation was merely viewed with amusement and raised eyebrows amongst Irish football fans. However, there is now a growing fear amongst fans that his ability to gain unquestioned media space could actually damage the interests and reputation of Irish football fans.

“He used to merely be viewed as an eccentric or a nut-job - someone who was making a joke of the Irish media. Some supporters even likened his ability to gain no-questions-asked media access to that guy in England who sneaks into the middle of major sports events (Karl Power)” said XXX XXX, a St Patrick’s Athletic fan and regular attender at Ireland games home and away. “Everyone thought that it would just fizzle out or he’d be exposed. Instead, he seems to be getting more and more coverage. There’s now a growing fear amongst fans that he’ll say something that will really cause us damage. What if he was to say something negative about the people of Israel before 3,000 Irish fans head over for our game there ? It’s the ordinary fans who’d bear the flack for one man’s attempts to hoodwink the media. You can’t have a loose cannon like that out there – it’s very dangerous ”.

XXXX XXX a Cork City fan and regular in the North Stand at Lansdowne Rd, added “ I’d be more worried that he’d misrepresent the views of real Irish football fans. He could say anything he wants and the media would simply broadcast it. There’s some really important stuff happening within Irish football now – the Lansdowne Rd redevelopment, Club Licensing, Rule 42. We can’t afford to have it jeopardised by the unaccountable views of a single Walter Mitty character".

With the fictitious IFSA still appearing regularly in the media, concerned fans of the Ireland team and a number of Eircom League clubs have come together to alert the media. The fans are all regular users of a number of Irish football websites, where concern regarding Hunter has reached a peak recently.

END OF RELEASE NEEDS FINALISING

HAVE LIST OF WEB-LINKS OF HUNTER COVERAGE TO ADD AT END AS WELL.

pete
16/02/2005, 8:59 PM
Hunter is a bad dream or more lilkely a nightmare. :(

Excellent Press Release, sent you PM, If you manage to finalise PM with final version.

He doesn't come up with much these days but in his hayday was being consulted for serious issues such as Sepang, McCarthy, Bertie Bowl etc...
I can't remember but i'm sure i mailed several media outlets at that time I think they all know he is a nutter but for some reason continue to use him. I suppose RTe should be the most embarished as they are supposed to be the National Broadcaster.

A face
16/02/2005, 10:46 PM
Whatever happend to NLU ? What's the chances of a fan-based representative body getting off the ground (slim...?) ?

You say it as if you were dimissing it ??? Of course there are chances of it happening, as long as there are no fruit bats like Hunter involved.

ROISSC ... whats their sceal ?
Are they actively looking for members ?
What is their agenda ?

dcfcsteve
16/02/2005, 11:31 PM
You say it as if you were dimissing it ??? Of course there are chances of it happening, as long as there are no fruit bats like Hunter involved.

ROISSC ... whats their sceal ?
Are they actively looking for members ?
What is their agenda ?

I only know of them through being a member of the London branch.

Has about 500ish members from memory. Exists primarily to organise trips and disemminate information, but is well run and does have clear democratic structures so could easily become more 'political'. Not sure if they'd want to though, and it would obviously be their call.

We've had discussions on here and Johnny Ward's old site before about setting-up a fans body, and it all amounted to nought. The bottom line is that people are happy to grumble, but reluctant to get-up off their arse and do something.

I think there's scope for a 'federalised' fan body, based around current supporters structures. Have members signed-up to a local 'group/chapter' based around each of their Eircom Clubs/existing supporters clubs. Would be fairly easy to set-up in that respect. The tough bit would be to get 2 or so active members from all/most clubs to do things centrally/nationally. You'd only need Joe Average supporter to join up and give you moral support and the occassional e-mail/petition etc. It's the 'leaders' nationwide that are crucial and would be difficult to get forthcoming.

Would be happy to give it a bash if 5-10 other people at different clubs were serious about it though ?

A face
17/02/2005, 12:16 AM
I only know of them through being a member of the London branch.

Has about 500ish members from memory. Exists primarily to organise trips and disemminate information, but is well run and does have clear democratic structures so could easily become more 'political'. Not sure if they'd want to though, and it would obviously be their call.

Sounds good .... i'd totally understand that, but there is an opening ... :ball:

We've had discussions on here and Johnny Ward's old site before about setting-up a fans body, and it all amounted to nought. The bottom line is that people are happy to grumble, but reluctant to get-up off their arse and do something.

Thats always the way but it shouldn't be that hard. Not if it were organised properly, you'd get a load of stuff done online so there should be alot of getting up off árses

I think there's scope for a 'federalised' fan body

Necessity is the mother of all invention.

based around current supporters structures. Have members signed-up to a local 'group/chapter' based around each of their Eircom Clubs/existing supporters clubs. Would be fairly easy to set-up in that respect. The tough bit would be to get 2 or so active members from all/most clubs to do things centrally/nationally. You'd only need Joe Average supporter to join up and give you moral support and the occassional e-mail/petition etc. It's the 'leaders' nationwide that are crucial and would be difficult to get forthcoming.

It should be that hard .... if you had every supporters club/grouping elect another member to update/work on this and relay the info back that way etc. ..... bottom line ... shouldn't be that hard after the initial setup.

Would be happy to give it a bash if 5-10 other people at different clubs were serious about it though ?

I'd imagine City fans would be interested too .... definitely something should be done. As soon as the season is back ... should get moving on it.

Meanwhile ... if anyone was interested ... make it known here.
It has to start somewhere !! :ball:

soylent green
17/02/2005, 8:09 AM
Let me lend my sage wisdom on this matter. Hunter is a muppet. I thank you.

pete
17/02/2005, 8:56 AM
I think a delegate based National eL Supporters group would be good.

How do you decide what supporter groups are represented? If club have several groups of supporters could they all join as could be trickey with many groups being a lot smaller than other...?

dcfcsteve
17/02/2005, 10:30 AM
I think a delegate based National eL Supporters group would be good.

How do you decide what supporter groups are represented? If club have several groups of supporters could they all join as could be trickey with many groups being a lot smaller than other...?

I would do it as follows :

- Individuals pay a small amount to become members of the National body (say E7.50/£5).
- Each team has a local 'chapter' of members - e.g. a Derry City group, a Cork group etc.
- The paid-up members within each chapter would theselves elect/determine their individual reps/organising committe. Those reps would organise stuff at a local level for the national body, and would represent their clubs members at the national level.

I would use existing supporters clubs as the key recruiting grounds for a national fans body, as they are the fans who would probably be most interested/up for something like this. I agree with your point, though, that you can't just pick one supporters club and make them the official reps, as it would be both unfair and irrelevant if their individual members didn't officially join the national body.

Éanna
17/02/2005, 1:49 PM
I think forming a group out of existing supporters clubs would be the best way. Each club to have 2 people on it (in case there's more than one SC)

NY Hoop
18/02/2005, 12:55 PM
To be honest never heard of him but he sounds like complete garbage. Fair play to dcfcsteve though.

Dont give him any more publicity. Come to think of it has anyone got a pic of him they could post here? So that if we come in contact with him we can have a "chat"!!! :D

KOH

monutdfc
18/02/2005, 1:03 PM
What about having him as the guest for the next Foot.ie Q&A session :D :D :D

ACdub
18/02/2005, 1:07 PM
Met this guy in Moscow, he had all his association with him, i was there with the wife and kids...we outnumbered him and his associaiton by 2 to 1!! and we only have 2 kids!!
The guy should be gagged..he represents nobody...

A face
18/02/2005, 1:16 PM
The guy should be gagged..he represents nobody...

That where you are wrong ..... He represents YOU .... thats what Joe Public is being lead to believe anyway.

corkharps
18/02/2005, 1:59 PM
What about having him as the guest for the next Foot.ie Q&A session :D :D :D
Excellent idea! ;)

Éanna
19/02/2005, 11:09 PM
there was an article in todays (saturday) Irish ;) Sun about this thread. A few quotes from Hunter saying it was just jealousy etc. Also he changed his claim about 50,000 members. He's now saying that those 50,000 members are SINCE 1970 when the group started :rolleyes:

Éanna
20/02/2005, 11:55 AM
I've posted a scanned copy of the article up on another thread here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=22237)

pete
20/02/2005, 2:00 PM
So Hunter says hes had at least 50,000 members since 1970?

That would be 2000 per year & would that be different members or same ones every year?

Thats like an eL club saying they have 1 million supporters since 1970 based on 2k people at 20 games season :rolleyes:

I liked the way he said he didn't ask "members" for any contribution etc... so how the feck does he even think he can guess on his membership...

Will be interesting to see if any other media has a go...

Éanna
20/02/2005, 3:03 PM
So Hunter says hes had at least 50,000 members since 1950?

That would be 2000 per year & would that be different members or same ones every year?

Thats like an eL club saying they have 1 million supporters since 1970 based on 2k people at 20 games season :rolleyes:
since 1970, but still, that sounds like back-tracking to me. Hopefully this will be picked up by other media outlets

A face
20/02/2005, 3:04 PM
So Hunter says hes had at least 50,000 members since 1950?

I liked the way he said he didn't ask "members" for any contribution etc... so how the feck does he even think he can guess on his membership...

Will be interesting to see if any other media has a go...

Well anyone with an ounce of sense will see those "members" figures for exactly what they are and should then put two and two together and see him for what he is, it isn't rocket science !!

The article says there was contact between him and the FAI, who made the contact, him or the FAI ? Who in the FAI is actually even entertaining this guy and his Walter Mitty dream ? Can we get a name ? Dont the FAI have to vet all their contacts in cases like this ?

It is kind of embrassing really, i'd be alright if the guy came across as even being a bit plausible but he seems like a looper. Himself and Peter Pan should go and take a long hard look at themselves.

harpskid
20/02/2005, 3:55 PM
Irish Football Supporters Association’ indeed :rolleyes:

I'm an Irish Football Supporter, who gave him the right to speak on my behalf?

This man, who suggested that an ENGLISH premiership team should be based in our country - and indeed believe that it would benefit the game here :mad: -has the nerve to speak on behalf of Irish supporters.

As far as I can see he's just on an ego trip! Time to knock him down a peg or two.

pete
20/02/2005, 5:50 PM
since 1970, but still, that sounds like back-tracking to me. Hopefully this will be picked up by other media outlets

Doh! typo.

iceman
20/02/2005, 6:14 PM
I actually sat next to Hunter on the return flight from the Friendly versus Holland in Tilburg in 1994 and he had only one member of his "organisation" with him on that occasion. He made no attempt to promote any new membership and had he done so he would have been told where to go.

The man is a fake and needs to be exposed.

I certainly go along with the idea of each EL Club promoting membership of an official organisation at a modest membership fee and electing a spokesperson to deal with the media in future.

gustavo
20/02/2005, 7:09 PM
well presumably he has read the article so if he hasnt already registered here its likely that him or one of his "representatives" will be registering here soon so be warned!

dcfcsteve
20/02/2005, 7:10 PM
Thanks to everyone for their feedback and support on the draft release, and thanks to Eanna for posting the Sun article up. Typical tabloid sensationalism around the story, but in this instance I like it :)

To me, the most important quote in there was from the FAI. Had the IFSA been a properly recognised, legitimate org they would've said so. Instead they merely commented that Hunter contacts them on "normal supporters issues like tickets for away games". ! That's a subtle and diplomatic way of saying he's nought but an ordinary fan !

Am starting to suspect that Hunter may be doing this, not just for an ego trip, but to get his hands on hard-to-get tickets for him and his mates. After all - how could you refuse to help the head of the Irish Football Supporters Association get to watch his country play !

I need a few more people who are willing to put their name behind the press release before I'll send it out. It has to be seen as coming from a broad-base of Irish football fans - not just one or two people's thoughts. PLEASE PM me if you want to put your support behind it. Just 2 more questioning news articles along the lines of The Sun and he'll be seriously on the ropes here. I particularly like the angle that The Sun have taken of focusing on the fact RTE's being suped. Will make coverage more likely in non-RTE media channels, and maked them feel embarassed.

This sham organisaation is finally being put under the spotlight. Let's make sure we don't let him off.

P.S. I wonder if Alan himself has logged on here yet.....! :D

onenilgameover
20/02/2005, 8:56 PM
I reckon he is on here alright and he's scared! I was in Murray's organising that Red Card Protest thing at the Croatia match and when the Irish Supporters group (thats were they meet) found out that the Press was there a guy came running over to have his say on the matter and make sure his thunder wasn't taken. I reckon it was him or one of his sort. They use the name Ireland Supporters Society freely he is our only spokesman and his set up is a joke from what I can gather.

monutdfc
21/02/2005, 8:31 AM
A bit of a far out idea here: What about using this guy to football supporters' advantage? OK, he comes across as a bit of a fruitcake, but he does have access to various media that no other supporter has, and for all the talk here it appears that we could only dream of the access he has. Hunter is a football fan, maybe he supports the league as well? What about using his access to RTE et al to promote other issues and concerns? He does appear to be on an ego trip, but he's the only fans' voice out there that is getting widely heard.
If he is exposed as a fraud (which he undoubtedly is) there is a void, no fans voice in the media, and unless there is someone in the wings ready to fill the void there will be no supporters' voice.
ps you can be sure he is reading this thread now after that Sun article.

MariborKev
21/02/2005, 10:29 AM
If we had a cohesive, independent, supporters group then we would have no bother getting access to the media.

We are getting one together at Derry to pressurise the Council as regards the state of the ground. We released a letter last week and I ended up with two separate BBC stations ringing me to get further comments, two national papers carrying it in prominent positions, and the local press all carrying it.

If you are articulate and organised getting an outlet will not be a problem

A face
21/02/2005, 12:29 PM
What about using his access to RTE et al to promote other issues and concerns?

The guy doesn't represent Irish fans but claims to ... for that he has pushed the boat out already.

The guy is a barm-pot and i'd be afraid of what he actually say if he did have fans behind him. We'd end up all being conscripted to war of something. He is an accident waiting to happen.

RTE, you'll notice (and other media) are fairly selective in what they show and interest in and what they'll push to the side. The only reason he is getting any time is because the boys in the office are probably having a laugh off it.

"Here lads, we got another voice mail for the fruit and nut cake"

** Everyone on huddles round the phone on loudspeaker and queue the laughathon for the next ten minutes. **

monutdfc
21/02/2005, 12:32 PM
I did say it was a far out idea :) ;)

pete
21/02/2005, 8:21 PM
Here is no usefulness to Hunter. He is likely to come up any opinion at any time & if some people will be fooled & get bad (worse) impression fo irish football supporters.

A face
25/02/2005, 12:42 AM
[This kind of thing isn't on at all. --adam]

gustavo
25/02/2005, 9:51 AM
i think that picture should come with a warning for all our lady users to restrain themselves in preparation for that fine figure of manhood :eek:

razor
25/02/2005, 10:34 AM
i think that picture should come with a warning for all our lady users to restrain themselves in preparation for that fine figure of manhood :eek:
He reminds me of Mondos old man in Fair City.

dahamsta
25/02/2005, 10:41 AM
Face, the post above is completely and utterly unacceptable, edit your post immediately. If it happens again you'll be suspended from the site like everyone else.

adam