PDA

View Full Version : Roddy to step down

Buile Shuibhne
15/02/2005, 7:47 PM
Jim Roddy the Derry City Chairman is to step down.

http://www.derrycityfc.net/displaystory.php?storyid=51

I had a couple of dealings with him over the past few years and have to say he is a thorough gentleman and was an excellent representative both for Derry City and the eL.

Best wishes to him in his future endevours

A face
15/02/2005, 7:52 PM
D'ah nuts !!

Thought it was the other Roddy.

Yeah ... from what i have seen and heard of the man, you seemed to be good for football and Derry.

Who is taking over though ??

MariborKev
15/02/2005, 8:16 PM
That is what happens at an AGM when people stand down- others get voted in

Jim was still remain closely involved with the day to day running and is expected to remain on the board

Éanna
15/02/2005, 10:36 PM
had the pleasure of meeting him once, and he was an absolute gent.

Dr.Nightdub
15/02/2005, 11:11 PM
Met the guy once in the heat of a "Dolan Out" protest up in the Brandywell. He came over for a "chat", said he saw our point of view but it was an embarrassment to Derry, we said we saw his point of view but Dolan was an embarrassment to us, the banner stayed up, we shook hands and wished each other Happy Xmas. Absolute gent.

A face
15/02/2005, 11:38 PM
That is what happens at an AGM when people stand down- others get voted in

Jim was still remain closely involved with the day to day running and is expected to remain on the board

So you have no clue who will be in the running so, you just turn up on the day and it will all be decided on the day ... like tossing a coin.

dcfcsteve
16/02/2005, 12:26 AM
So you have no clue who will be in the running so, you just turn up on the day and it will all be decided on the day ... like tossing a coin.

Err - it's called democracy A Face ! Candidates put themselves forward for election, the shareholders in the room vote, and whoever gets the most votes win !! :) The days of elecetions in Northern Ireland where the results were printed weeks in advance are thankfully over.... :D

There's talk that the current Vice-chairman Hugh McDaid is a likely candidate/successor, but until that vote takes place we just won't know for sure !

Longfordian
16/02/2005, 12:33 AM
i'm not having a go at Jim Roddy, I never met the guy and from an outside point of view he seemed to be doing well for Derry but I did hear that a lot of the 'longer established' Derry folk didn't like him that much. Maybe it's just EL grapevine gossip which is unsubstantiated and agenda influenced, but I was just wondering if it was in any way true? :confused:

A face
16/02/2005, 12:42 AM
There's talk that the current Vice-chairman Hugh McDaid is a likely candidate/successor, but until that vote takes place we just won't know for sure !

Sheeze man ... thats all i was askin' like .... its not like you'd have some fella walk in off the street like :p

Would he be good do ya think .... What is the relationship like now between the club and council ?? Would he be progressive ?

Cosmo
16/02/2005, 8:28 AM
Have to disagree with the posts on here - in my opinion, good riddance :rolleyes:

Macy
16/02/2005, 8:34 AM
Not a fan myself, especially his bleating at the first licencing round where he came across Ollie Byrne-esque with his threats of legal challengers over Europe etc.

Not arsed either way really that he's gone.

WeAreRovers
16/02/2005, 10:22 AM
Met the guy once in the heat of a "Dolan Out" protest up in the Brandywell. He came over for a "chat", said he saw our point of view but it was an embarrassment to Derry, we said we saw his point of view but Dolan was an embarrassment to us, the banner stayed up, we shook hands and wished each other Happy Xmas. Absolute gent.

I had a similar experience with him prior to our pitch protest last season. I went in to McDowells to explain to the Derry fans that we were going to have a protest and that we meant no ill will to them or their club.

The DCFC fans were bang on but Roddy had a go at me. Just another moustachioed eL chairman in a cheap suit as far as I'm concerned. Adios amigo (and bring your doppleganger Maguire with you)

KOH

Clones Road Cas
16/02/2005, 12:30 PM
Err - it's called democracy A Face ! Candidates put themselves forward for election, the shareholders in the room vote, and whoever gets the most votes win !! :) The days of elecetions in Northern Ireland where the results were printed weeks in advance are thankfully over.... :D !

Does that mean dead people weren't allowed to vote in this election. :D

corkharps
16/02/2005, 1:12 PM
Now that he's gone,does that mean that Derry will be dropping some of last years policies ie At least 3 managers(sorry 2 & Dykes!) per season?,claim to have spent a fortune on ground improvements to achieve uefa license(actually spent zero,don't own the ground!),be led up the garden path(humiliated) by Felix! :p John Wayne type talk of legal action to get his near relagated side into Europe!,Run a very tight 'financial ship' and still lose approx €50k last year! Defend thugs dressed as security?

Good Riddance To Roddy! :rolleyes:

MariborKev
16/02/2005, 6:36 PM
Some smell off those chips on your shoulder

corkharps
17/02/2005, 1:57 PM
Sometimes the truth hurts! :D

MariborKev
17/02/2005, 2:37 PM
Unfortunately not all of what you posted was the truth

But don't let that get in the way.......

corkharps
17/02/2005, 2:40 PM
Unfortunately not all of what you posted was the truth

But don't let that get in the way.......

Such as?

MariborKev
17/02/2005, 2:47 PM
I've taken this to PM now

corkharps
17/02/2005, 2:51 PM
Fair enough. ;)

soccerc
17/02/2005, 3:59 PM
As far as I am concerned Jim will be a loss to the League and domestic football but I am sure whoever succeeds him will be as thorough.

Despite his critics I've always believed that he had the best interests of his club and the league at heart at all times. While he was sometimes vilified by others for positions he took on varoius matters as a member of the League Board of Control that should not deflect from his achievements with the Candystripes.

Cosmo
17/02/2005, 4:05 PM
what about consistency?? Trys to get one club kicked out of the league cos of the financial state they were in, etc - didnt hear a murmour from him when other clubs got themselves in the s_-t, be it rovers, dundalk, pats or whoever.

No loss!