PDA

View Full Version : No Anthony Gerrard for ROI

SaucyJack
15/02/2005, 1:21 PM
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=16024

Gerrard hit with paperwork problems

February 15, 2005

The budding Irish international career of Everton youth team star Anthony Gerrard looks to be dead in the water after he failed to unearth the necessary paperwork to prove his eligibility for Sean McCaffrey’s under-19 set-up.

Gerrard, the cousin of Liverpool and England star Steven, had appeared for Ireland in an invitational tournament last summer.

However, frantic efforts to prove his eligibility to attain an Irish passport have been in vain, with red tape surrounding the nationality of his grandmother preventing him from continuing to represent Ireland.

The 19-year-old, an adept central defender who was named in Everton’s Premiership squad for last Saturday’s clash with Chelsea, will not now be eligible to take his place in the Irish under-19 squad for the Uefa qualifiers against Serbia & Montenegro, Poland and Albania in April.

He told the Irish Sun: “It is very disappointing. I’ve been told I’m not eligible to play for Ireland because the documentation to do with my Nan can’t be found. I was under the impression that she was born in Ireland but we can’t get the paperwork and it means I won’t be able to play for the Irish now.”

TerryPhelan
15/02/2005, 2:29 PM
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=16024

Gerrard hit with paperwork problems

February 15, 2005

The budding Irish international career of Everton youth team star Anthony Gerrard looks to be dead in the water after he failed to unearth the necessary paperwork to prove his eligibility for Sean McCaffrey’s under-19 set-up.

Gerrard, the cousin of Liverpool and England star Steven, had appeared for Ireland in an invitational tournament last summer.

However, frantic efforts to prove his eligibility to attain an Irish passport have been in vain, with red tape surrounding the nationality of his grandmother preventing him from continuing to represent Ireland.

The 19-year-old, an adept central defender who was named in Everton’s Premiership squad for last Saturday’s clash with Chelsea, will not now be eligible to take his place in the Irish under-19 squad for the Uefa qualifiers against Serbia & Montenegro, Poland and Albania in April.

He told the Irish Sun: “It is very disappointing. I’ve been told I’m not eligible to play for Ireland because the documentation to do with my Nan can’t be found. I was under the impression that she was born in Ireland but we can’t get the paperwork and it means I won’t be able to play for the Irish now.”

We're Ireland, not ROI.

eirebhoy
15/02/2005, 3:43 PM
One of "our" most promising centre half's down the drain. It'll keep the anti-3G heads happy though. :rolleyes:

Éanna
15/02/2005, 3:55 PM
We're Ireland, not ROI.
No, Ireland is the whole island. The ROI is that part which is independent from Britain.

Éanna
15/02/2005, 3:56 PM
Crazy, a young fella makes his mind up which country he wants to play for, but paperwork fouls it up. Yet, the likes of Morrison, Butler and Holland can suddenly change their mind in the middle of their career :rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
15/02/2005, 4:01 PM
No, Ireland is the whole island. The ROI is that part which is independent from Britain.

Does it bug anyone else that we're always referred to as simply "The Republic"? It's not just in the UK media, Emmet Malone and a few others in Ireland do it too.

Pity about Gerrard but it sounds as if his connection was a bit tenuous : " I could have sworn me nan was born in Ireland" or something like that.

Peadar
15/02/2005, 4:06 PM
We're Ireland, not ROI.

There is no national team registered with FIFA or UEFA under the name "Ireland".

Stuttgart88
15/02/2005, 4:16 PM
In USA '94 our official team name was "Ireland" wasn't it? All the merchandise, TV captions, scoreboards etc. all just said "Ireland".

Junior
15/02/2005, 4:24 PM
Crazy, a young fella makes his mind up which country he wants to play for, but paperwork fouls it up. Yet, the likes of Morrison, Butler and Holland can suddenly change their mind in the middle of their career :rolleyes:

Nothing crazy about it - Possibly wasn't eligible & couldn't prove otherwise. Wouldn't want another Cascarino now would we............. ;)

Éanna
15/02/2005, 4:27 PM
Nothing crazy about it - Possibly wasn't eligible & couldn't prove otherwise. Wouldn't want another Cascarino now would we............. ;)
IMO Cascarino was more Irish than the likes of Morrison ever will be

Cowboy
15/02/2005, 4:54 PM
Wouldn't want another Cascarino now would we............. ;)

Cascarino was always qulaified he just interpreted the legislation incorrectly

Junior
15/02/2005, 4:59 PM
IMO Cascarino was more Irish than the likes of Morrison ever will be

Why? How? Because he had a career for Ireland spanning 2 decades with a few international tournaments thrown in, whereas as Clinton is only starting out?

I'm not in favour of players choosing their country for career purposes (a debate done to death - so no need to do it again) and Clint would fall in to that category - but so would Cascarino surely?

Éanna
15/02/2005, 5:19 PM
Why? How? Because he had a career for Ireland spanning 2 decades with a few international tournaments thrown in, whereas as Clinton is only starting out?

I'm not in favour of players choosing their country for career purposes (a debate done to death - so no need to do it again) and Clint would fall in to that category - but so would Cascarino surely?
read his book. He grew up very conscious of his irishness, morisson has proved that he didn't.

Kevin77
16/02/2005, 12:09 AM
IMO Cascarino was more Irish than the likes of Morrison ever will be]

Why?

Junior
16/02/2005, 8:30 AM
read his book. He grew up very conscious of his irishness, morisson has proved that he didn't.

Yeah, I've read it and I can't say that the book left me with that impression what so ever. Im happy for you to prove me wrong but I don't really recall anything in the book that spoke of his 'irishness' other than the FAI approaching him.

In fact listening to Cascarino on Talk Sport quite regularly his only ever references to his 'irishness' are limited to his time with the irish squad.

Just for the record I have a soft spot for big Cas (despite his useless perfromances in the hoops) as youngster his goal against England made me a very happy young chap additionally Im not Clinton's biggest fan at all, however I find the statement 'Cas is more of an Irishman than Clint will ever be' a bit ridiculous :confused:

Stuttgart88
16/02/2005, 8:59 AM
]Why?
There used to be a Cascarino's chip shop in Rathfarnham, run by his cousins.

Conclusive evidence if you ask me. :)

Éanna
16/02/2005, 12:55 PM
So,not a colour thing.......
absolutely not.

Did Cascarino ever beg the England manager to pick him live on tv?

Junior
16/02/2005, 12:59 PM
absolutely not.

Did Cascarino ever beg the England manager to pick him live on tv?

:D :D brilliant - I never heard that!! In all fairness though I doubt it was Cascarino's 'Irishness' that ensured he didn't make an ass of himself on tv also, more his lack of ability!!

Stuttgart88
16/02/2005, 2:56 PM
I asked Clinton once about his qualification and he couldn't even tell me where his "nan" was from. Not even the county.
At least he said hello to you though.

TerryPhelan
21/02/2005, 3:54 PM

Check our constitution. The Nation of Ireland is the whole island, as represented by our happily less-politicised rugby team. However, the State of Ireland is the 26 counties, represented by the footy team. The name of the State, however, is 'Ireland'. There is no such entity as the Republic of Ireland or ROI.

TerryPhelan
21/02/2005, 3:58 PM
There is no national team registered with FIFA or UEFA under the name "Ireland".

There should be - FIFA and UEFA as we all know are far from infallible and they are mistaken here. Look at our Constitution, which we 'gave unto ourselves' (not wanting to sound all tearful and patriotic here, but it is the definitive document in this regard). There is no political entity as the ROI. Ireland exists as a nation of 32 counties, and as a State of 26 counties - the rugby team represents the former, and the soccer team the latter. However, the Constitution is unequivocal - the name of the State is 'Ireland'. Not ROI. Yes, the nature of that State is a republic, just like the English state is a monarchy. Would it be right to call the English team the Monarchy of England - the MOE?

Peadar
21/02/2005, 4:05 PM
Would it be right to call the English team the Monarchy of England - the MOE?

No need, there's only one "England" team, thankfully.
Since there are two national football teams on the island of Ireland, there had to be a distinction between them.
I don't think it's political, simply for administration purposes.

It certainly doesn't bother me in the slightest because it often serves as a reminder to persons abroad who may consider Ireland as part of Britain.

Eire06
21/02/2005, 4:10 PM
Very funny there Stuttgart, yer a gas man altogether! I just like happy people who speak when they're spoken to. Not complete w@nkers who think they're God's gift (yet play for Spurs - at the time). :D

It better not be Keano your refering to... :mad: :mad:
He is God's gift by the way.. and I found him very nice.. :D :D

very very very nice yummmy to be exact.
mmmmmmmmmm Robbie Keane

Peadar
21/02/2005, 4:13 PM
very very very nice yummmy to be exact.
mmmmmmmmmm Robbie Keane

Well if you're having Robbie, I'm having his missus.
Yummy with sugar on top... ;)

Eire06
21/02/2005, 4:14 PM
Well if you're having Robbie, I'm having his missus.
Yummy with sugar on top... ;)

It can be arranged... We can help each other out ;)

Peadar
21/02/2005, 4:19 PM
We can help each other out ;)

I hope you don't mean in a tag team type scenario? :eek: :D

1MickCollins
21/02/2005, 4:25 PM
There is no political entity as the ROI.

The confusion arises from the The Government of Ireland Act 1948 section 2:

It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland.

and the fact that the government over the years has used that description willy-nilly.

More recently Comhairle has written:

The Irish and British governments have agreed to use the official names by which each state describes itself. (This agreement was made at the same time as the British-Irish Agreement).

The correct name for this country is Ireland, not the 'Republic of Ireland'. Eire is correct when writing or speaking in the Irish language but not otherwise.

Northern Ireland is correct, not the 'Six Counties' or Ulster.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (or UK for short) is also correct. Britain is not correct but 'British' is the appropriate adjective.

Eire06
21/02/2005, 4:35 PM
I hope you don't mean in a tag team type scenario? :eek: :D

Whatever it takes.... :D
And I mean ANYTHING :p :p

Éanna
21/02/2005, 7:33 PM
Check our constitution. The Nation of Ireland is the whole island, as represented by our happily less-politicised rugby team. However, the State of Ireland is the 26 counties, represented by the footy team. The name of the State, however, is 'Ireland'. There is no such entity as the Republic of Ireland or ROI.
whatever the constitution or anything else says, there should be a distinction made between Ireland, and the 26 county state and its representatives.

TerryPhelan
22/02/2005, 12:01 PM
The confusion arises from the The Government of Ireland Act 1948 section 2:

It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland.

and the fact that the government over the years has used that description willy-nilly.

More recently Comhairle has written:

The Irish and British governments have agreed to use the official names by which each state describes itself. (This agreement was made at the same time as the British-Irish Agreement).

The correct name for this country is Ireland, not the 'Republic of Ireland'. Eire is correct when writing or speaking in the Irish language but not otherwise.

Northern Ireland is correct, not the 'Six Counties' or Ulster.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (or UK for short) is also correct. Britain is not correct but 'British' is the appropriate adjective.

Good stuff. I would point out that 'the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland': the 'Republic of Ireland' is a description of the type of State Ireland has - it isn't the title of our country. Accordingly, and as you pointed out with regard to the British-Irish Agreement, this should be acknowledged and adhered to. So why Sky Sports insists on referring to 'Eire' and 'ROI' but not 'Ireland' irks me some. In the immortal words of Bishop Len Brennan, "you address me by my proper title, ye little ********!" :mad:

Peadar
22/02/2005, 12:09 PM
So why Sky Sports insists on referring to 'Eire' and 'ROI' but not 'Ireland' irks me some.

They're talking about the football team not the Political State.

I can never understand why people waste so much energy and emotion hating stuff and getting angry about stuff when, ultimately, the only one who will suffer from that negative energy is themselves.

GET OVER IT!

Stuttgart88
22/02/2005, 12:16 PM
What bugs me is when people, including the Irish media now, refer to us simply as "The Republic".

I'm sure our official footballing title is the Republic of Ireland so as not to confuse far away countries who have no idea about Ireland's history. As Peadar says, it's only for administrative purposes.

But when our own people and our close neighbours call us "The Republic" instead of "Ireland" or any variation thereof I find it really annoying. Even some current players do it I think (Matt Holland?).

Junior
22/02/2005, 12:54 PM
I can never understand why people waste so much energy and emotion hating stuff and getting angry about stuff when, ultimately, the only one who will suffer from that negative energy is themselves.

GET OVER IT!

What like people in Ireland supporting British based clubs? come on now can you really not understand it.........................

Peadar
22/02/2005, 1:08 PM
What like people in Ireland supporting British based clubs?

What do you mean, Irish people who follow a British club but ignore their local eL club?

That doesn't make me mad.
I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have a club they can call their own.

Éanna
22/02/2005, 1:12 PM
What do you mean, Irish people who follow a British club but ignore their local eL club?

That doesn't make me mad.
I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have a club they can call their own.
as Eamon McCann said "Someday there'll be support groups for these people." :D

Colbert Report
02/03/2005, 1:36 PM
If Vinnie Jones was Welsh then I'm sure anyone can prove they're Irish. My grandmother was born in 1921 in Cork, does that mean I could play for Northern Ireland?

anto1208
03/03/2005, 4:29 PM
this is such a let down hope the fai look into this coz he is class as an evertonian im more excited about him coming through than i was about rooney and we know how good he was for everton ! miles better than he is for utd

Strongbow10
04/03/2011, 2:18 PM
either Gerrard has a poor memory or there have been developments in acquiring the necessary documentation

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11714_6794381,00.html

He would not be a bad addition he is as good if not better than St.Ledger in my opinion and i've seen a fair bit of him in action.

AlaskaFox
04/03/2011, 3:00 PM
Kept McShane out of the Hull team, has to be an improvement...

Colbert Report
04/03/2011, 10:13 PM
either Gerrard has a poor memory or there have been developments in acquiring the necessary documentation
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11714_6794381,00.html

He would not be a bad addition he is as good if not better than St.Ledger in my opinion and i've seen a fair bit of him in action.

The Liverpool-born defender has represented the Republic at Under 18 level having qualified to play for the country because of his grandmother.

Closed Account
05/03/2011, 12:58 PM
The Liverpool-born defender has represented the Republic at Under 18 level having qualified to play for the country because of his grandmother.
What does Bolding a Comment do?

He represented us at U-18, but when asked to produce his grandmothers passport, he couldn't. Strongbow10 is wondering if he's found it or not. Very bold of him.

Crosby87
05/03/2011, 1:43 PM
When a thread lies dormant for this long and is revived, is it considered to be A Miracle of modern science?

SkStu
05/03/2011, 5:04 PM
i dont want to feel left out

paul_oshea
05/03/2011, 5:10 PM
Was that what it was like for you at school?

SkStu
05/03/2011, 5:13 PM
it still hurts. Deep rooted psychological issues.

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1828/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1828R-18839.jpg

paul_oshea
05/03/2011, 5:16 PM
So thats why you went to canada. Don't worry skstu you look like a decent looking fella, im sure you have done alright since.

What does italic mean then?

Touche~

SkStu
05/03/2011, 5:17 PM
it means you like guys. :)

paul_oshea
05/03/2011, 5:18 PM
Damn, I'm outed :D

Closed Account
05/03/2011, 5:19 PM
it means you like guys. :)
Ya Italics = a little bit bent