PDA

View Full Version : ROI v Slovakia

drummerboy
15/02/2005, 12:17 PM
The Republic Of Ireland play Slovakia tonight at U-17 level. Does anybody know where match is being played.

drummerboy
15/02/2005, 12:19 PM
Ok, just found out its in Whitehall at 7.30pm

Sheridan
15/02/2005, 12:32 PM
Cheers for the info, drummerboy, I'll probably mosey down to Whitehall myself, decent home-based contingent in the Irish squad, should be worth watching. One small correction though, it's SLOVENIA not Slovakia :)

Presume they're charging the usual €5 entrance fee? I see mention of a second fixture against the same opposition this Thursday on the FAI site, any idea where that's being played?

Not sure if they've been included in the travelling party, but Slovenia's Under-19 squad currently boasts two players currently on the books of Internazionale and AC Milan - Rok Straus and Sandro Bloudek respectively.

drummerboy
15/02/2005, 12:58 PM
Not sure. Unfortunately young Stokes of Arsenal will not be playing tonight but will be playing Thursday. Well worth the entrance fee to see him play. He is definitely going to be a future international of class.

Don Vito
15/02/2005, 1:59 PM
According to FAI website both matches are on in Whitehall. Anyone have directions on how to get there? Will go if I can get off work in time. :o

Schumi
15/02/2005, 2:03 PM
The 11 and 16 buses go past it I think. Follow Drumcondra Road north past Tolka, it's a few minutes further on the left.

drummerboy
15/02/2005, 2:24 PM
According to FAI website both matches are on in Whitehall. Anyone have directions on how to get there? Will go if I can get off work in time. :o

Straight out of town through Dorset Street, through Drumcondra, come to Griffith Ave/Drumcondra Rd junction, just through lights, entrance on left immidately beside Garda Station.

TerryPhelan
15/02/2005, 2:28 PM
The Republic Of Ireland play Slovakia tonight at U-17 level. Does anybody know where match is being played.

We're Ireland, not ROI.

Bluebeard
15/02/2005, 2:40 PM
Nice one Drummerboy, I'm a big fan of the underage matches, and I should get most of the first and all of the second half - excellent, or should I say "Yacko Dobro!"

Don Vito, presuming you're coming from the city Centre, go up Parnell Sq., turn right on to Dorset St., and then simply horse on up towards the airport until you pass The Skylon Hotel (and Drumcondra generally), there are two sets of traffic lights to run, then just after the second one (crossing Griffith Avenue) it's there on your left hand side through iron gates.

drummerboy
15/02/2005, 3:05 PM
We're Ireland, not ROI.

Hmmm a little Englishman from Manchester telling me where I am from.

Reminds me of the time many moons ago, when I was in a bar in the Isle of Man, with 3 friends. It was around the 12th July. They took Irish money over there then and when I produced my Irish money, I guy sitting at the bar hollored, in his best Belfast accent, across the room to about 20 mates, “Hey Roy, there's a goy here from the freee state”. To which I retorted “ Get it right pal, I'm from the Irish Republic.” Anyway the conversation more or less, stopped there. Amazingly a group of Scots came to our aid and we managed to battle our way out. So don't get me started Terry.

Don Vito
15/02/2005, 4:13 PM
Nice one Drummerboy, I'm a big fan of the underage matches, and I should get most of the first and all of the second half - excellent, or should I say "Yacko Dobro!"

Don Vito, presuming you're coming from the city Centre, go up Parnell Sq., turn right on to Dorset St., and then simply horse on up towards the airport until you pass The Skylon Hotel (and Drumcondra generally), there are two sets of traffic lights to run, then just after the second one (crossing Griffith Avenue) it's there on your left hand side through iron gates.

Cheers, so basically head for the airport anyways. Anyone know if there is parking around it?

eirebhoy
15/02/2005, 4:17 PM
Cheers, so basically head for the airport anyways. Anyone know if there is parking around it?
Yeah, you can drive in through the gates and there's a car park inside afair. You'll definitely get parking nearby anyway.

cabo2005
15/02/2005, 8:07 PM
surely thats a mistake? playing the same team twice in 2 days?

Sheridan
15/02/2005, 9:14 PM

Fairly standard practice at this level.

Finished 4-1 to Ireland, thanks largely to a virtuoso performance from Alan Judge, who scored two fine goals and was instrumental in setting up the third, a splendid eighteen-yard volley by Gary Dunphy. Bayly headed the opener from a corner in the twelfth minute. Gleeson, Treacy and Judge were the stand-out players from Ireland, who looked pretty impressive against a poor Slovenian side (but bear in mind that home advantage often has a disproportionate effect in underage football.)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I shall have to stop typing because my fingers are f*cking frozen.

eirebhoy
15/02/2005, 9:15 PM
hehe, no the U-19's played Italy in Bari twice in two days a couple of weeks ago. Its so the manager can get a look at all the players in the squad.

eirebhoy
15/02/2005, 9:22 PM
Finished 4-1 to Ireland, thanks largely to a virtuoso performance from Alan Judge, who scored two fine goals and was instrumental in setting up the third
All these players from big English clubs and the man for St.Joseph's is the star of the game. :D Lets hope there was scouts watching. :)

drummerboy
16/02/2005, 8:31 AM
Didn't make it lastnight, but will promised to take my 7-yellar-old tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeking Stokes (Arsenal). Seen him before and he a great player. Well worth a trip to see him tomorrow night.

Bluebeard
16/02/2005, 2:29 PM
Is the second match in Whitehall too? If it is I should make the second half :)

eirebhoy
16/02/2005, 4:50 PM
Should I be getting excited about this Stokes lad? How come he never gets anywhere near the bench at Highbury? I know he's very young. Anyone fill me in?
Read all posts in the sticky thread above. :)

Stuttgart88
17/02/2005, 2:24 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?article=256157&title=Youth+Cup:+Southampton+1-0+Arsenal

Stokes gets a mention here a few times, as does Leon Best. Stokes is obviously the most exciting by the sound of things but hopefully Best can make the grade too. According to the article Best's Souhampton side is pretty much all conquering this season.

higgins
17/02/2005, 10:02 PM
Yes you should get excited by Stokes....

He's 16 and has played 15 times for Arsenal reserves!! :eek:
Thats not an easy thing to do. Have you seen some of the line ups in reserve team football. Arsenal also flew his family over to live in london so as they could sign him before he turned 16. Shows what they think of him..

Also and probably the best reason to wish him well is that when we had the link up with Manchester Utd they had first refusal on our underage players. They were interest in taking Stokes but apparently he told them he wanted nothing to do with them and went off to Arsenal :p