PDA

View Full Version : best away trip in the league?

Pages : [1] 2

martin_rules_ie
14/02/2005, 9:51 AM
plan on goin to a good number of away games this year. what are they best (and worst) away trips in the eL?

Ruairi
14/02/2005, 9:55 AM
Longford is the best by far. make a weekend of it. the worst last year was dublin city, i'm imagining that honour will go to bray this year.

tiktok
14/02/2005, 9:59 AM
My personal top 3 over recent years are

-v- St.Pats in Inchicore (always have a laugh before the game, Pat's fans tend to be friendly and knowledgeable too, and the Dolan thing adds to the nights)
-v- Bohs in dalymount (usually get a good vocal City contingent to those games, we tend to do OK, and it's usually an enjoyable trip)
-v- Longford, great ground, great fans, great club. Love the trips there

but to be honest, the one I'm looking forward to this year is going to Ballybofey, I'm not the only person who's delighted to Have Finn Harps back in the big time ;) :)

Peadar
14/02/2005, 10:28 AM
I'm not the only person who's delighted to Have Finn Harps back in the big time ;) :)

After making the long trip up there for a midweek cup game many moons ago only for it to be called off due to freezing fog, I can't say that the idea of going back appeals to me. ;)

pete
14/02/2005, 10:33 AM
but to be honest, the one I'm looking forward to this year is going to Ballybofey, I'm not the only person who's delighted to Have Finn Harps back in the big time ;) :)

Yeah but luxury of a Ballybofey trip you get to cancel that out with trip back to Bray again.

Colm
14/02/2005, 10:35 AM
Any of the bus trips are nearly always a laugh regardless of who we are playing.
Personally, my favourite is Bohs in Dalymount and, even though it's a short trip, Waterford is always good.
Longford is a laugh if you do an overnighter but that would be pretty much the same if you were doing an overnighter anywhere. I'd say Ballybofey will be an overnighter this year.

Of course the best away trips are the European ones but as we more than likely going to new unknown destinations again this year, I can't make any recommandations.

Peadar
14/02/2005, 11:03 AM
we more than likely going to new unknown destinations again this year.

I love your optimisim! ;)
Hopefully we'll get through a few rounds and add some more new locations to the travel resume.

corkharps
14/02/2005, 11:07 AM
Any chance of a lift? :D

pineapple stu
14/02/2005, 12:37 PM
The worst last year was Dublin City, I'm imagining that honour will go to Bray this year.
:eek:

First Pete reckons we won't be in the relegation scrap (see the league fixtures thread) and now Ruairí reckons Bray will get the worst away trip award! :) Either you've come over all lovey-dovey suddenly or yez've banished UCD to the dark recesses of your minds, from where it won't emerge until we beat you in Belfield again! ;)

tiktok
14/02/2005, 12:44 PM
Jesus, I'd forgotten about you lot :mad:
That'll be a horrible trip :D :D :D

pineapple stu
14/02/2005, 12:45 PM
Is that before or after we beat you at the 5-a-side?! ;)

Éanna
14/02/2005, 12:48 PM
Longford is the best alright, Harps should be a good laugh, and Derry is good too- better if you stay over I hear :)

Worst are UCD,Bray & Home Farm.

Gary
14/02/2005, 12:56 PM

Excuse me? What was the score last time round? I even seem to remember donating a player to help your cause, and it was still quite uneven ;)

Longford is a good trip. Waterford is enjoyable due to the numbers City bring. Pity Galway arent back i the Premier Division, as that is a great trip as well. The fajitas in Kates are almost worth the trip alone!!!

pineapple stu
14/02/2005, 1:00 PM
Excuse me? What was the score last time round? I even seem to remember donating a player to help your cause, and it was still quite uneven ;)
But that didn't happen on your away trip! :)

Ruairi
14/02/2005, 1:03 PM
so that means ye're due to play us in cork this year so... which means i will be back to tear ye apart, like i did in the first game.. ahh.. so many memories of scoring for fun from all angles...

Éanna
14/02/2005, 1:09 PM
ahh.. so many memories of scoring for fun from all angles...what you do in the privacy of your own home is your own business

Peadar
14/02/2005, 1:55 PM
Pity Galway arent back i the Premier Division, as that is a great trip as well.

Pesky little kids began to ruin those games by throwing stuff and being a meanace in general

ahh.. so many memories of scoring for fun from all angles...

I thought that only happened in Longford? :D

Ronnie
14/02/2005, 2:28 PM
We used to love having the Cork boys in Flancare, that was until we stopped beating ye!! Its been a while since we beat Cork.

GavinZac
14/02/2005, 3:09 PM
Gwen Stefani loves me, she does

:D

thats excellent

harpskid
14/02/2005, 3:15 PM
Glad to see a few of ye are planning on making the trip to Finn Park, it'll be good to see away fans again ;)

Hopefully we'll be doing the overnight in Cork this year - watch out CorkHarps ;)

Last time I was at a game in the X was in '99 for our cup game!

tiktok
14/02/2005, 3:33 PM
thats excellent

thanks Gav, i thought so too :D

Colm
14/02/2005, 3:50 PM
Derry is good too- better if you stay over I hear :)

Yeah, I was gutted we werent staying over after the Tuesday game last season.... had the makings of a great night. I think an overnighter in Derry is a must this season.

Troy.McClure
14/02/2005, 5:36 PM

4-2 to us on penalties if Im correct :)

thecorner
14/02/2005, 5:44 PM
enjoyed the trips to drogs as well last season

adamd164
14/02/2005, 7:22 PM
what you do in the privacy of your own home is your own business

:D :D :D :D

pineapple stu
15/02/2005, 12:44 PM
4-2 to us on penalties if Im correct :)
:mad: :p

That was only so you could have your trophy back though! After we'd had a (very very small!!!) drink out of it! Don't think I've ever had a shot of beer before!

Roo69
15/02/2005, 12:56 PM
If it's the ground thing your talking about then Belfield is worse than Bray IMO. Least fav place last season was Athlone, not having ago at the fans but St. Mels was a kip ! Best away trip last season was probably Sligo or Galway.

This year i reckon worst away trip will be Harps or Derry, just becuase of the distance to travel, not looking forward to Cork either, because A) we'll probably get stuffed, and B) having to listen to Cork are the biggest team in Ireland syndrom.

De Town
15/02/2005, 1:00 PM
Least fav place last season was Athlone, not having ago at the fans but St. Mels was a kip !
Has to be the worst ground in the League.

Ruairi
15/02/2005, 1:05 PM
:mad: :p

That was only so you could have your trophy back though! After we'd had a (very very small!!!) drink out of it! Don't think I've ever had a shot of beer before!

i think shedite once used it as an eggcup

pineapple stu
15/02/2005, 1:06 PM
i think shedite once used it as an eggcup
:D :D

Can just picture that now!

SÓC
15/02/2005, 1:19 PM
Whatever happened to that fantastic cup?

Shedite is it still in your kitchen?

Clones Road Cas
15/02/2005, 1:53 PM
If it's the ground thing your talking about then Belfield is worse than Bray IMO. Least fav place last season was Athlone, not having ago at the fans but St. Mels was a kip ! Best away trip last season was probably Sligo or Galway.

This year i reckon worst away trip will be Harps or Derry, just becuase of the distance to travel, not looking forward to Cork either, because A) we'll probably get stuffed, and B) having to listen to Cork are the biggest team in Ireland syndrom.

Did you not visit our palatial surroundings

Schumi
15/02/2005, 1:54 PM
Athlone is worse. The stand in CHP is grand if a bit far from the pitch.

paudie
15/02/2005, 4:12 PM

Plus ye have a bar in the ground. Can't get much better than that!

Longford overnighter was great a few years back. Hoping to go to Derry and/or Ballybofey this year.

De Town
15/02/2005, 4:16 PM
I'd say that if/when we get the bar open, the away trip to Longford will be even better.

ccfcgirl
15/02/2005, 4:16 PM
drog away last game of season was my favourite away game last season worth a trip but stay over night .

KR's Post
15/02/2005, 4:30 PM
i'm imagining that honour will go to bray this year.
Why is everyone dreading Bray???? :confused:

Éanna
15/02/2005, 4:40 PM
Why?
It's always freezing.
There's no atmosphere.
Its full of annoying kids.
Its a dump of a ground.

That enough for ya :)

Clones Road Cas
15/02/2005, 4:43 PM
Athlone is worse. The stand in CHP is grand if a bit far from the pitch.

Of course Athlone is worse. CHP is a fecking palace. Nicest bar in the league. I wasnt being sarcastic for once.

Mind you youre right about the stand.

KR's Post
15/02/2005, 4:46 PM
Why?
It's always freezing.
There's no atmosphere.
Its a dump of a ground.

Freezing?? Ye...
Atmosphere?? Working on that and hopefully we will have bigger and better support this season. HOPEFULLY
The kids has been attended to and i think the annoyance will be reduced this year.
A dump of a ground??? Thats easy to say but jeez, where do we get the money from and hopefully the new roof for the stand will be up soon. Thanks for the welcome back EANNA ;)

Éanna
15/02/2005, 4:57 PM
Freezing?? Ye...
Atmosphere?? Working on that and hopefully we will have bigger and better support this season. HOPEFULLY
The kids has been attended to and i think the annoyance will be reduced this year.
A dump of a ground??? Thats easy to say but jeez, where do we get the money from and hopefully the new roof for the stand will be up soon. Thanks for the welcome back EANNA ;)
:D I look forward to having my mind changed :)

niamh
15/02/2005, 5:18 PM
Why?
It's always freezing.
There's no atmosphere.
Its a dump of a ground.

Have to say - from my few experiences of Bray, these characteristics hold true.

pineapple stu
15/02/2005, 6:38 PM
I'd say that if/when we get the bar open, the away trip to Longford will be even better.
Yez are getting a bar in Flancare?! Excellent! Won't be going home after that one! :)

De Town
15/02/2005, 8:50 PM
Yez are getting a bar in Flancare?! Excellent! Won't be going home after that one! :)
Yeah, I don't know the ins and outs but I think its nearly finished.

Roo69
16/02/2005, 9:57 AM

Yeah i did, but at leaqst you have a very nice club house and a good size covered stand. St. Mels just seemed to be covered in tin roofing, even around the premiter of the place.

Roo69
16/02/2005, 9:59 AM
Why?
It's always freezing.
There's no atmosphere.
Its a dump of a ground.

So just like EVERY other ground in the eircom league then ?

De Town
16/02/2005, 10:09 AM
So just like EVERY other ground in the eircom league then ?
Flancare Park is not always cold...
There isnt the best atmospherre but there is a small 1 ;)
There is a few annoying kids but nothing like Bray
And 1 thing is for certain, The Flansiro is not a dump of a ground...

So NO, Carlisle Grounds are not like every other ground in the eL, They are just crap in their own way :D

Schumi
16/02/2005, 10:57 AM
Why?
It's always freezing.
There's no atmosphere.
Its a dump of a ground.

Don't forget the jacks! :eek:

Roo69
16/02/2005, 11:38 AM
Flancare Park is not always cold...
There isnt the best atmospherre but there is a small 1 ;)
There is a few annoying kids but nothing like Bray
And 1 thing is for certain, The Flansiro is not a dump of a ground...

So NO, Carlisle Grounds are not like every other ground in the eL, They are just crap in their own way :D

Eh it's Ireland were talking about here, it's bloody well freezing most friday/saturday nights no matter were you go ! The coldest i've ever been at a match was a toss up between Hars Vs. Bray or UCD Vs. St. Pats. There isnt the best atmospherre but there is a small 1 ;) - just like Bray so. Every club has annoying clubs and the only reason why we notice them no matter were we go is becuase of the lack of crowds. If every ground was fully we wouldnt even know the little ****s where there :p

There are worse ground in the eL than the carlisle. St. Mels, Finn Park, CHP, St. Colemans, Belfield to name some of them.

And you'll be all delighted to hear that work has started on a brand new jacks, no more aiming in the dark and hoping for the best :D

De Town
16/02/2005, 12:13 PM
There are worse ground in the eL than the carlisle. St. Mels, Finn Park, CHP, St. Colemans, Belfield to name some of them.

Mels is worse alright.

Id put Carlisle on a par with the rest you mentioned apart from Belfield. There might be nobody there but they have a nice little stand. :p